Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu How to turn off Windows Messenger Service honeypot

Author Topic: How to turn off Windows Messenger Service  (Read 7963 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
How to turn off Windows Messenger Service
« on: Nov 06, 2003, 12:05 »
How to turn off Windows Messenger Service
This instruction does not address, nor is it intended to address, problems associated with services involved with Instant Messaging. We provide these directions as a public service and have no affiliation with any entity outside the University of Virginia which points to this page, including ISP's, vendors and other entities, specifically panicware.com and siliconcrack.com.
What Windows Messenger Service Allows to Happen on Your Computer

Should a pop up box appear on your screen with the words "Messenger Service" in the title bar, chances are that you have Windows Messenger Services enabled.  

In their initial state, Microsoft Windows operating systems (98, ME, XP, 2000, NT) allow anyone on the internet to pop up Windows on your screen. There is no need for them to know anything about your computer and your computer does not care who does it.

Even less savory individuals may pop up messages on your screen that try to fool you into taking actions that may not be in your best interest.

The important thing to remember is that anyone, anywhere in the world can pop up one of these messages on your computer. At this time it looks as though all these messages will have "Messenger Service" in the Window title. It would be wise to verify with support staff any such message that appears on your computer that instructs you to to take actions that may divulge sensitive information, change your password, leads you to a web site, or take other, unusual actions on your computer.

Also know that spam senders are using the Windows Message Service as another way to distribute their advertisements.

Keep in mind that faculty and staff are advised to check with their computer support staff before disabling any service so that you do not inadvertently disable a service that your department uses.  

Disabling the Messenger Service
To remove the ability for anyone in the world to pop up messages on your computer, you can disable the Messenger service. Its easy to reverse at a later time if you wish to do so.  

Windows 2000
Click Start-> Settings-> Control Panel-> Administrative Tools->Services
Scroll down and highlight "Messenger"
Right-click the highlighted line and choose Properties.
Click the STOP button.
Select Disable or Manual in the Startup Type scroll bar
Click OK

Windows XP Home
Click Start->Settings ->Control Panel
Click Performance and Maintenance
Click Administrative Tools
Double click Services Scroll
down and highlight "Messenger"
Click the STOP button.
Click OK

Windows XP Professional
Click Start->Settings ->Control Panel
Click Administrative Tools
Click Services
Double click Services Scroll
down and highlight "Messenger"
Click the STOP button.
Click OK

Windows NT
Click Start ->Control Panel
Double Click Administrative Tools
Select Services-> Double-click on Messenger
In the Messenger Properties window, select Stop,
Then choose Disable as the Startup Type
Click OK

Windows 98 & ME
Windows Messenger Service cannot be disabled

amyrobin

Re: How to turn off Windows Messenger Service
« Reply #1 on: Nov 07, 2003, 10:55 »
Thanks Mike,

As usual Nukeworker is a great resource.  I had to reformat my hard drive and I had forgotten about messenger.  Now I should have less junk  ;D

Amyrobin

Offline azkidd

• RP Tech (Housemouse)
  • Moderate User
  • We Nationalize Banks!!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 07, 2003, 11:51 »
I appreciate it.  Hopefully, this will stop those annoying pop-ups.  I will let you know

Offline Rain Man

• Very Heavy User
  • Constants aren't, variables won't.
« Reply #3 on: Nov 08, 2003, 04:40 »
I appreciate it.  Hopefully, this will stop those annoying pop-ups.  I will let you know

azkidd, Mike is correct on how to disable Windows Messaging.  Beware of one minor item.  This will only disable pop ups that come via Windows Messaging.  It will not stop pop ups that come via your browser as an embedded Java Script.  You will need to get a pop up blocker for that.  Your internet provider may have a program available to kill those.  If not check out a third party vendor for the software.  Earthlink's Pop Up Blocker has killed 99% of the pop ups on my system but you need to have Earthlink as your IP to use it.
"Giving power and money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenaged boys." -P.J. O'Rourke

"Politics is the skilled use of blunt instruments"  -Lester B. Pearson

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #4 on: Nov 08, 2003, 05:27 »

azkidd, Mike is correct on how to disable Windows Messaging.  Beware of one minor item.  This will only disable pop ups that come via Windows Messaging.  It will not stop pop ups that come via your browser as an embedded Java Script.  You will need to get a pop up blocker for that.  Your internet provider may have a program available to kill those.  If not check out a third party vendor for the software.  Earthlink's Pop Up Blocker has killed 99% of the pop ups on my system but you need to have Earthlink as your IP to use it.

To eliminate other popup ads, I use the google tool bar. - It's free - http://toolbar.google.com It not only blocks pop ups, it's the best search engine in the world.

Gball

« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2003, 02:28 »
:D
Many Thanks. Tried it and liked it!
;D

jkelly01

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 12:06 »
good tip.....
thanks John
www.uthos.com

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?