Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu What's an HP do? honeypot

Author Topic: What's an HP do?  (Read 6754 times)

Offline darkmatter

• Heavy Metal Poster Child
  • Heavy User
  • you don't know the power of the dark side.
What's an HP do?
« on: Nov 28, 2003, 12:25 »
From time to time an RP is asked to do things that aren't in any job description listed anywhere.
I once was asked to take care of a snake that had come in under the Rad Waste truck bay rollup door. I did recognize it as a common black snake, captured it, counted it in a tool monitor and released it back outside the gate.
Since the word "Health" is in our title at some sites, I have been requested to perform a medical evaluation from time to time also. I've declined all but a few exams unless they involved ****** exams. [smiley=ladysman.gif]

What strange thing have you been asked to do?
"Never underestimate the power of a Dark Klown"

Darkmatters website is no more, nada, gonzo, 
http://darkmatter.nukeworker.net.istemp.com  this will get you there, but I can't update it anymore. Maybe nukeworker will host personal sites eventully

Vol-Hater

Re: What's an HP do?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2003, 10:41 »
The strangest thing I have ever been asked to do had nothing to do with "HP work", lol.

Offline DJ@Retired

• Moderate User
  • Just Win Baby! Well Maybe Next Year!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2003, 09:33 »
About 70 MPH to the plant. 1000 MPH inside and about 90 MPH Leaving. Happiness is Dresden in Rear View Mirror. [smiley=laugh.gif]
A good friend will bail you out of jail. A great friend will be sitting next to you saying "Dam, that was Fun"

Offline jkj

• Light User
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2003, 02:11 »
Nothing.
Words fail me and pictures aren't much better.

"Never take no cut-offs, and hurry along as fast as you can."-- (Virginia Reed; member of Donner party.)

Offline darkmatter

• Heavy Metal Poster Child
  • Heavy User
  • you don't know the power of the dark side.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2003, 05:35 »
Nothing.

Well, Yes, but we do it with style. 8)

Come on guys, I know you have been asked to do very strange things in your careers, lets hear some.

How about the time the RPs were asked to frisk a beaver shot by security when swimming in the sediment pond that was High Rad due to pumping out a "minor spill"
"Never underestimate the power of a Dark Klown"

Darkmatters website is no more, nada, gonzo, 
http://darkmatter.nukeworker.net.istemp.com  this will get you there, but I can't update it anymore. Maybe nukeworker will host personal sites eventully

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #5 on: Dec 02, 2003, 03:29 »
got to assist with an owl shower once.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline Phurst

• NRRPT-HPT
  • Very Heavy User
  • One in a row!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 02, 2003, 07:20 »
Clean graffitti. Bad karma returning to me I suppose. Damn it Jim! I'm an HP not a janitor!
Today is the best day of my life! HSIITBS!

'For the quality of owning freezes you forever into "I" and cuts you off forever from the "we". - Steinbeck

DeathDose

« Reply #7 on: Dec 02, 2003, 08:51 »
Whine, cry, snivel, bitch, moan, complain, hide, sleep, pontificate, call off, call in late, leave early, yada, yada, yada......................... ..................

Offline Rain Man

• Very Heavy User
  • Constants aren't, variables won't.
« Reply #8 on: Dec 02, 2003, 09:07 »

Damn it Jim! I'm an HP not a janitor!

phurst, shouldn't that be "Habitability Engineer"?
"Giving power and money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenaged boys." -P.J. O'Rourke

"Politics is the skilled use of blunt instruments"  -Lester B. Pearson

SOCC1

« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2003, 09:35 »
look for a bomb

moke

« Reply #10 on: Dec 02, 2003, 11:45 »
At San Onofre a fellow technician and I decided that we would corral a Pelican that just munched on a large Callico Sea Bass out from the Seaweed Roll-off container.

Well, the bass was so big that the Pelican could not take flight and was grounded. This bird was cruising in & out of an RMA so we decided to take matters into our own hands.

As we approached the bird, it raised its wings and started to charge and we, well, took off!!! Hehhehehe!

Another challenge was to frisk a captured and caged seal. Those buggers would attack the GM detector and rush the cage at the same time looking to chew your hand off! Clean!!!! Baby!!

Aloha,

Moke

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #11 on: Dec 02, 2003, 05:12 »
Frequently I have been assigned job coverage with the implication that I would be the second person to satisfy the 2-man rule. Of course, if HP is surveying, there is never a 2-man rule. I guess that means all HP's have split personalities and qualify as 2-man alone. ;D

P. S. I would love to hear about the barrels of guano I hear rumors about at Maine Yankee Refuel building. Any personal experience out there?
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline liam

• Light User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 03, 2003, 04:05 »
Once Upon a Time at TMI (1986)!

During the long cleanup of the melted down unit, some of the techs would amuse themselves by throwing rocks at the trash dumpster rats.  One night, Mike Henry killed a small skunk.  Unfortunately for Mike, aka Skunk Killer, the control room ventilation intake was in the local area.  The control room operators tracked down the offending culprit, and Mike was made to bag the skunk.  Brings new meaning to the term "bagged and tagged."  In this case, Mike tagged the skunk with a rock and got bagged, bagging the tagged skunk.   :P

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #13 on: Dec 03, 2003, 05:53 »
liam.... i always remembered the saying as "bagged, tagged, 'n dragged"... so i'm figguring that mike had to do the dragging of the skunk to a dumpster far away from the ventilation inlet.... btw, was that a double bag job?
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

jjordan

« Reply #14 on: Dec 05, 2003, 10:06 »
We watch work for food! ;)

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #15 on: Dec 10, 2003, 11:00 »
I once was asked to take care of a snake that had come in under the Rad Waste truck bay rollup door. I did recognize it as a common black snake, captured it, counted it in a tool monitor and released it back outside the gate.

I was coordinator for one of the storage areas at the Useta site, so when they found a nest of baby rattlesnakes in the area, I was the one who got pointed at to make them go away.   :o

Fortunately, one of the gung-ho ironworkers said he'd make them disappear.   8)

Unfortunately, for the next week, they kept re-appearing around the production foreman's desk...   ;)

For some reason, that foreman never did like me after that.    ???
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

radgal

« Reply #16 on: Dec 12, 2003, 06:33 »
At a Certain southern plant I was asked to pack cement into a cement lined pipe that was having a flanged end attached.  I was asked to do this because I had little hands, which was noticed after the construction manager dropped his flip phone piece in the spent fuel pit which he asked me to retrieve 20 minutes after said event. Fun HP work Huh?!

Offline Rad_Toy

• RP TECH
  • Light User
  • Lovin life on the road !!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 12, 2003, 07:01 »
I've aways answered when asked, what do you do?  WATCH PEOPLE WORK !  Am I wrong?

ratwife

« Reply #18 on: Dec 16, 2003, 10:39 »
I'm married to an HP and I'm still not sure what he really does at times. He did bring home a kitten from one site that he "rescued" from under the contractors trailor. He brought it home in his lunch box. I never did like that cat, I think it was mutated or something, the cat loved the kids but hated me. The feeling was mutual.

Offline lonelylady

• Light User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 16, 2003, 08:09 »
Sorry, I'm not an RP. But I have had to frisk  about a six month old cat that was in a really bad mood, and the opposum wasn't in a real good mood either.  RP's were watching from behind the window in the door.

Kime_B

« Reply #20 on: Dec 17, 2003, 03:36 »
 ::) We're glorified babysitters...  :P

MajorMinor

« Reply #21 on: Dec 17, 2003, 07:46 »
I'm not HP, either. I'm 'just' a Nuclear Operator. Operators also have trouble explaining to friends & family exactly what we do. My teen-aged kids finally got the picture when I told them that Operators break stuff so that the Trades have something to do, repairing our stuff. ;)

Once upon a time, we found a seagull on the roof of the reactor building. The poor thing had tried to eat a Rapala fishing lure which looked real but had sharp hooks attached. It had barbs through its beak & both webbed feet and was exhausted from struggling to free itself. We cut the lure's barbs with sidecut pliers and set the tired but (hopefully) grateful bird free. :)

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #22 on: Dec 17, 2003, 05:24 »
I'm not HP, either. I'm 'just' a Nuclear Operator. Operators also have trouble explaining to friends & family exactly what we do. My teen-aged kids finally got the picture when I told them that Operators break stuff so that the Trades have something to do, repairing our stuff. ;)

Having been operations and HP, I find HP much more difficult to explain than OPS. When asked about OPS, I would finally agree that yes, it's the same job Homer Simpson has. :-*
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Ruddly

« Reply #23 on: Jan 31, 2004, 12:14 »
An HP's number one job is to make an elaborate sculpture out of tape spears to be carefully placed upon your co-worker's hardhat so that it can be enjoyed by all.  Horse tails are also important and should not be neglected.  A glove baloon is always a nice touch.

Brad "Skateboard" Reckamp

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #24 on: Jan 31, 2004, 05:19 »
At San Onofre a fellow technician and I decided that we would corral a Pelican that just munched on a large Callico Sea Bass out from the Seaweed Roll-off container.

Well, the bass was so big that the Pelican could not take flight and was grounded. This bird was cruising in & out of an RMA so we decided to take matters into our own hands.

As we approached the bird, it raised its wings and started to charge and we, well, took off!!! Hehhehehe!

Another challenge was to frisk a captured and caged seal. Those buggers would attack the GM detector and rush the cage at the same time looking to chew your hand off! Clean!!!! Baby!!

Aloha,

Moke

Ahhh, this brings back the good memories of counting the fluorescent orange Garibaldi in the intake bay, and the foot long transparent shrimp (part of the reason that those darn irritable seals keep coming back). I wonder what those beautiful foot-long transparent shrimp would fetch as an order of Ama-Ebi over at Kurando's?  ;)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?