Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Getting a college degree as a nuke. (Sub Volunteer)

Author Topic: Getting a college degree as a nuke. (Sub Volunteer)  (Read 4563 times)

Chuman

I've heard that some nukes end up having crazy work schedules and I'm wondering if I will have plenty of time while in the navy to work towards getting a college degree in some kind of engineering related field. If it helps, I signed up as a submarine volunteer, and while I know that aircraft carriers sometimes bring college professors on their ships and submarines don't.

My question is: Will it be much harder to work on getting a college degree as a submariner than it would be if I chose aircraft carriers?

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
Re: Getting a college degree as a nuke. (Sub Volunteer)
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 03:23 »
You can get college credits for courses aboard sub for external programs. VHS tapes and submit the assignments through your proctor (who mails them when you hit land).

Big-time credits for examinations; look at the www.excelsior.edu website under testing for credit.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

taterhead

Re: Getting a college degree as a nuke. (Sub Volunteer)
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 09:58 »
It will be extremely difficult to get enough of the classes you need to get a Bachelor's degree on a carrier, particularly until you are fully qualified.  As for the classes offered onboard, think mostly Composition and Algebra, perhaps a History course now and then.  I have never known many nukes to use the courses offered aboard ship.  Watch/Drill/Maintenance Schedules can be exhausting, and you will want to use your "personal" time to catch up on sleep, laundry, or poker.

However, I think that being on a submarine would make things even more difficult.  Underway schedules are strenuous, and in-port working hours can stretch to 17-1800 (witnessed at PHNSY).

If you STAR reenlist and get the add-on shore duty, it is possible, no, easy to finish before your 8 years is up.

So can you do it?  An AA, maybe, but it will be challenging no matter which you choose.

MMC(SW/AW)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?