Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Nuclear History honeypot

Author Topic: Nuclear History  (Read 37275 times)

Offline Rain Man

• Very Heavy User
  • Constants aren't, variables won't.
Nuclear History
« on: Aug 27, 2003, 09:32 »
Thought a thread was needed for nuclear history.  Check out the link below.  HP's used to be "Gieger Men".  I also liked the "Kit List" with condoms for pencil dosimeters and film badges.  Now you know where all the US military surplus "raincoats" went after WWII.

http://www.aracnet.com/%7Epdxavets/caldwell.htm
"Giving power and money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenaged boys." -P.J. O'Rourke

"Politics is the skilled use of blunt instruments"  -Lester B. Pearson

moke

Re: Nuclear History
« Reply #1 on: Aug 27, 2003, 01:59 »
Hi Rain Man,

I do appreciate your thread since my Dad, Uncles, Friends and other Hawaii locals participated in many similar functions. My Dad was part of Operation Redwing. Similarly to your example, they conducted weapons tests.

I asked my Dad: What type of Anti-C's did the HP's make you wear when you folks inspected structures after various tests? The answer was "Street Clothes." Whew!

I maintain a deep interest is this subject matter ever since I engaged in DOE clean-up Operations abroad.

Thank you,

Moke

Offline St Raphael

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #2 on: Aug 27, 2003, 03:14 »
Rain Man

You've done it again! Thanks for  =D the great thread.  Atomic Veterans rock.  We must not forget the good, the bad and the ugly.  
"Plenty of people miss their share of happiness, Not because they never found it, But because they didn't stop to enjoy it."  -- William Faulkner (1897-1962)

Offline Rain Man

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: Aug 28, 2003, 09:24 »
Check link below for a comprehensive list of nuclear weapons tests.  Nation, GPS coordinates, yield, type...this has some great info.  It's a sh*t load of SNM that went K eff > 1.  The madness of those times.

http://nuketesting.enviroweb.org/hew/Library/Catalog
"Giving power and money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenaged boys." -P.J. O'Rourke

Offline Rain Man

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: Sep 03, 2003, 04:54 »
A good site for Cold War info.  Lots of links for weapons tests, fall out maps, I-131 plume tracks, arms treaties, proliferation, biographies, films, etc.  Also many photos and great links.

www.nuclearfiles.org

Offline Rain Man

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #5 on: Sep 03, 2003, 05:22 »
Information on and for Atomic Veterans:

www.angelfire.com/tx/atomicveteran/

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #6 on: Sep 03, 2003, 07:15 »
The man who taught me my first in-depth theory in 1975 was a retired Lieutenant Commander named Armand Nice. He was career navy and told me a couple of wild stories that were very similar to the ones reported in the article. He was on the ship closest to the test area and the dose rates he spoke of were just amazing and he knew that the detection equipment was inadequate to tell the whole story.

I am sorry to say I never kept in touch with him -- he was a great guy and helped me a lot. If he is still with us he has to be well over 90 years old. I think about him and thank him often for giving me the foundation I had to do my job and a few horror stories to make me want to do it well.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline Rain Man

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #7 on: Sep 03, 2003, 01:01 »

Offline Rain Man

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #8 on: Sep 05, 2003, 01:33 »
One of the more interesting ideas to come out of the fifties:

www.merkle.com/pluto/pluto.html

duke99301

« Reply #9 on: Sep 06, 2003, 12:38 »
ok so this one is off the wall  but here it is .
http://www.nonukesnorth.net/

This is not a link to a site regarding nuclear history - it's a political site mostly relating "Star Wars" missile project.

duke99301

« Reply #10 on: Sep 06, 2003, 12:39 »
I like there shirts on this one funny.
http://nukes.hypermart.net/

This is not a link to a site regarding nuclear history - it's a site for a band.

duke99301

« Reply #11 on: Sep 06, 2003, 12:40 »
http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,57555,00.html
do not forget about NASA

This is not a link about nuclear history - it's an article discussing the possibility of NASA using a nuke powered engine in a probe sent to Jupiter

duke99301

« Reply #12 on: Sep 06, 2003, 12:42 »
Loose Nukes

What are “loose nukes”?
The term originally referred to poorly guarded nuclear weapons in the former Soviet Union that might tempt terrorists or criminals. Today, experts use the term to refer to nuclear weapons, materials, or know-how that could fall into the wrong hands. Areas of particular concern include the black market in uranium and plutonium, as well as the temptation for poorly paid former Soviet nuclear scientists to sell their skills to the highest bidder

duke99301

« Reply #13 on: Sep 06, 2003, 12:43 »
http://www.nukes.org/MAp/godzilla.html
and lets not forget this guy

This is a link pertaining to Godzilla... not nuke history.

duke99301

« Reply #14 on: Sep 06, 2003, 12:45 »
Dr. Louis Slotin had a screwdriver and two pieces of plutonium. He was screwing these two pieces together very slowly, watching the Geiger counter needle rise, and then he would unscrew it. One day he slipped. As a consequence critical mass was attained right in his face ... Slotin lunged forward and grabbed the two hemispheres with his bare hands, ripped them apart and took the full brunt of a nuclear detonation right in his stomach."

duke99301

« Reply #15 on: Sep 06, 2003, 12:46 »

duke99301

« Reply #16 on: Sep 06, 2003, 12:47 »
and its in our food.
http://www.nukes.org/nukefood.html

This is not a site about nuclear history - nor is it about radiating food.

Offline Rain Man

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #17 on: Sep 08, 2003, 12:21 »
Nuclear powered bombers.  12 ton crew compartment, 10-12" leaded glass windows.....the old radium dial flight instruments were the least of their concerns.

www.radiationworks.com/flyingreactor.htm

Offline Rain Man

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #18 on: Sep 08, 2003, 12:37 »
Dr. Louis Slotin had a screwdriver and two pieces of plutonium. He was screwing these two pieces together very slowly, watching the Geiger counter needle rise, and then he would unscrew it. One day he slipped. As a consequence critical mass was attained right in his face ... Slotin lunged forward and grabbed the two hemispheres with his bare hands, ripped them apart and took the full brunt of a nuclear detonation right in his stomach."

Hollywood used "artistic license" in "Fat Man and Little Boy" with this incident.  It occurred approximately 2 years later than the film would lead one to believe.  See the link below for details.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/lavitt/louisslotin/beaver.html

Offline Rain Man

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #19 on: Sep 10, 2003, 09:34 »

duke99301

« Reply #20 on: Sep 17, 2003, 02:18 »
they are trying to do more out in the handford area  take a look.
http://www.tri-cityherald.com/tch/local/story/3934842p-3957059c.html

Offline MercTech

• Light User
  • Gotta Glow for the Dough
« Reply #21 on: Sep 17, 2003, 11:40 »
They must be referring to the "paint can bunker" right outside of WNP2s fence when they balked at the expansion plans.

That thing needs digging up before new construction or Energy Northwest or whomever will inherit some buried nasties.  (And very nasty they be.)
Steven Jerkins
Have dose records, will travel

Offline MercTech

• Light User
  • Gotta Glow for the Dough
« Reply #22 on: Sep 17, 2003, 11:43 »
http://www.nukes.org/MAp/godzilla.html
and lets not forget this guy

This is a link pertaining to Godzilla... not nuke history.

Well, if you want to stretch it... Godzilla was done as a protest about nuclear weapon testing.  It could be considered nuclear history in a bit of a warped fashion.

Of course, I've always been accused of having a warped sense of humor.
Steven Jerkins
Have dose records, will travel

Offline Rain Man

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #23 on: Sep 22, 2003, 04:23 »
A big idea in its day....now a big pile of scrap.  Note the passenger accomodations just aft of the reactor compartment.

www.radiationworks.com/NSSavannah.htm

The Germans tried it also:

www.radiationworks.com/NSOttoHahn.htm

Offline stirfry

• Moderate User
  • It's an O.K. World
« Reply #24 on: Sep 22, 2003, 04:41 »
Hello,
Are there any ex NR-1 nukes out there? I would like to hear from you.

My Father just passed away and was eulogized as the Father of the NR-1.

Any stories would be welcome.

Thanks
in advance

Finni
YA gotta be SOMEWHERE

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?