Career Path > Getting in

Job Evaluation Questions

<< < (2/3) > >>

alphadude:
most evaluations like you describe are poorly designed and based on somebody's opinion. unless performance goals are presented to you and you agree to them and monitoring with feed back is provided, those evaluations dont hold water and should be ignored. then you should complain to the owner of the company for poor business practices and the client using a concerns type program. poorly designed evaluations are the basis for discrimination suits, and reason to carry a ill founded grudge.. so beware. (aka the black list) hmmm not that its ever been used in this industry.

stormgoalie:
The company I work for uses an exit evaluation at the end of an outage to determine the rehire status of temporary staff.  The evaluation points are fairly generic and the supervisors will invariably talk to the lead tech that the contract staff worked for to get input.  It is also a requirement, company policy, that the supervisor must go over the evaluation in a one on one setting and the employee is given the opportunity to comment and sign (or refuse to sign) their evaluation.  The pitfall to any evaluation is that the questions must be generic enough to allow for a fair evaluation, but specific enough to identify areas of "weakness" or need for improvement as well as good aspects of each employee. It has been my experience that the process we use is quite fair in most aspects.  Just my humble opinion.

Cheers,
Jim Rodgers
RP Lead Tech
Ontario Power Generation

alphadude:
sounds like a well though out process. which it should be. utilities and larger corporations know how to use this tool effectively, just beware of those small companies that don't train the adminstrator of this exit survey on its applications, otherwise its a good tool when used correctly

Rennhack:

--- Quote from: George W. Badkitty on May 25, 2006, 10:20 ---How true.  The new BNI eval. is a great example.  A, B or C tech.  To get an overall 'A' rating the SC needs BNI upper management approval, to give an overall 'C' rating the SC once again needs BNI upper management approval.  So guess what, everyone receives a 'B' rating.

--- End quote ---
Yep.

illegalsmile:
On my last two outages, I received a 'B' for attendance even though I'd not been absent or late. I asked the SC what it would take to get an 'A' and he said he didn't know. (but....but, you make them out?!?!?!?) ???

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version