Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Job Evaluation Questions honeypot

Author Topic: Job Evaluation Questions  (Read 11443 times)

Offline Lorrie Henson

• Heavy User
  • Stop Talking, Just Do It!!!
Job Evaluation Questions
« on: May 23, 2006, 01:41 »
Hey...just wondering what's the norm for job evaluations.  During your exit, is it automatic that you receive a job evaluation?  Do you have to request one?  Do you have to sign it?  Does it differ from company to company, state to state?  Is it a courtesy thing from a company or a 'law'? 

Thanks, in advance, for all of your help.

Lorrie   :D

alphadude

Re: Job Evaluation Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 05:15 »
Are you talking about "how am I doing survey" or nuclear concerns?

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 05:20 »
The employee evaluation is a company specific function.  There are no laws requiring your employer to evaluate your performance.

Offline Lorrie Henson

• Heavy User
  • Stop Talking, Just Do It!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 10:21 »
Thanks.  Yeah, I'm talking about the job evaluations they perform during the exit interview.  Ok, I understand the company doesn't have to do an eval, but if they do, are they required to show it to you and/or have you sign it?

Thanks again,
Lorrie

Fermi2

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006, 11:24 »
No they are not required to do either.

Mike

alphadude

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006, 03:16 »
most evaluations like you describe are poorly designed and based on somebody's opinion. unless performance goals are presented to you and you agree to them and monitoring with feed back is provided, those evaluations dont hold water and should be ignored. then you should complain to the owner of the company for poor business practices and the client using a concerns type program. poorly designed evaluations are the basis for discrimination suits, and reason to carry a ill founded grudge.. so beware. (aka the black list) hmmm not that its ever been used in this industry.

Offline stormgoalie

• Former RP Supervisor, now an Engineer......
  • Very Heavy User
  • Go fast or go home!
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 08:37 »
The company I work for uses an exit evaluation at the end of an outage to determine the rehire status of temporary staff.  The evaluation points are fairly generic and the supervisors will invariably talk to the lead tech that the contract staff worked for to get input.  It is also a requirement, company policy, that the supervisor must go over the evaluation in a one on one setting and the employee is given the opportunity to comment and sign (or refuse to sign) their evaluation.  The pitfall to any evaluation is that the questions must be generic enough to allow for a fair evaluation, but specific enough to identify areas of "weakness" or need for improvement as well as good aspects of each employee. It has been my experience that the process we use is quite fair in most aspects.  Just my humble opinion.

Cheers,
Jim Rodgers
RP Lead Tech
Ontario Power Generation
WARNING: Translation of author's random thoughts may have resulted in the unintended introduction of grammatical errors, typos, technical inaccuracies, lies, propaganda, rhetoric, or blasphemy.

alphadude

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 09:15 »
sounds like a well though out process. which it should be. utilities and larger corporations know how to use this tool effectively, just beware of those small companies that don't train the adminstrator of this exit survey on its applications, otherwise its a good tool when used correctly

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2006, 05:08 »
How true.  The new BNI eval. is a great example.  A, B or C tech.  To get an overall 'A' rating the SC needs BNI upper management approval, to give an overall 'C' rating the SC once again needs BNI upper management approval.  So guess what, everyone receives a 'B' rating.
Yep.

illegalsmile

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2006, 07:04 »
On my last two outages, I received a 'B' for attendance even though I'd not been absent or late. I asked the SC what it would take to get an 'A' and he said he didn't know. (but....but, you make them out?!?!?!?) ???

Surveyors_mato

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2006, 09:04 »
Yep.

Here at BFN, we got the rating too and you know what, We had "A" techs..some call them.......SSssssh........... ...Super Techs!......Most of the B average techs don't like the "A" techs..............I did get a B+ though....I think?................Oh yeah I remember.........it was on  Foot washing ;D

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2006, 09:08 »
You are alowed to get some "A"'s, as long as the average isn't an "A".  So my PM have me a few A's, but stoped short of an overall "A", because of the stupid rule of haveing to contact the president and the HR manager (or whoever).

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?