Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Switch to medical field?

Author Topic: Switch to medical field?  (Read 11495 times)

FatMalky

Switch to medical field?
« on: Jul 13, 2006, 12:52 »
Hi,

I'm a Sr HP, working on the road, but am wondering if there are any job opportunities in the medical field of this kinda work?

I'd be willing to take some courses during my "off-seasons" and gather the quals I'd need, but does anyone know what these would be?  Working in hospitals etc. would be good.

I'm guessing it's obviously gonna be linked to Radiographer type positions, but what else is out there?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

FatMalky.

Rad Sponge

Re: Switch to medical field?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 13, 2006, 01:12 »
Major medical pharmaceutical companies such as Bristol-Meyers-Squibbs and Tyco produce radioactive pharmaceuticals for imaging.

They have production facilities that employ full hierarchies of HPs : JHP tech, SHP tech, HPs, CHPs, RSO, etc. Jobs range from scheduled surveys, job coverage, planning, casualty control, radioassay, etc.

Check out tycohealthcare.com for current vacancies in Maryland Heights, MO (St. Louis).

FatMalky

« Reply #2 on: Jul 13, 2006, 01:16 »
Major medical pharmaceutical companies such as Bristol-Meyers-Squibbs and Tyco produce radioactive pharmaceuticals for imaging.

They have production facilities that employ full hierarchies of HPs : JHP tech, SHP tech, HPs, CHPs, RSO, etc. Jobs range from scheduled surveys, job coverage, planning, casualty control, radioassay, etc.

Check out tycohealthcare.com for current vacancies in Maryland Heights, MO (St. Louis).

Thanks very much - I appreciate it.

I'll go check that out.
« Last Edit: Jul 13, 2006, 01:18 by FatMalky »

Offline grantime

• Heavy User
  • Retired Plant Health Physicist CHP, NRRPT
« Reply #3 on: Aug 22, 2006, 07:45 »
I overheard talk recently of a potential job as a hospital HP.  Does anyone have any experience in this area?  I have seen a qualification for medical physicist that require MS or Phd.  I can't qual on that but do think I meet RSO standards.  Any one have clue of potential pay scales?  After nearly 25 years, working in the airconditioning has a certain appeal
breath in, breath out, move on----j buffett

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #4 on: Aug 23, 2006, 07:10 »
There are many 2 yr degree programs (and 4 yr) for Radiology Technician (x-ray, CAT, MRI, etc). Do a Google search for schools in your area, there are about 4 within an hour of me (MA/NH/VT border), so they have to be pretty common. If this field folds up, it's what I am looking at.....
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline Melissa White

• Light User
  • It just doesn't get any better than this!
« Reply #5 on: Aug 25, 2006, 01:46 »
I did the road for about 15 years, and switched to medical HP tech about 6 years ago. 
The size of the radiation safety dept is mostly dependant upon the size of the hospital, and the size of the research program if that hospital has one at all.  In smaller hospitals the RSO duties are usually handled by a Radiologist (MD) who also practices, or Senior Nuc Med or Nuc Pharm Staff, who slip in the RSO duties in addition to their regular staff work.  HP tech type of things are handled by the nuke med techs, or techs in the field where the isotopes are used.  You might remember that the most commonly used radioisotopes used in medicine have a short half life, and so RA's are not common, it's mostly RMA's.  It's predominantly about contamination control, and cleaning up spills now and again. Oh yeah, and handing out the dosimetry badges every month.  Some of the folks do get dose that would rival that of plant workers, but it's uncommon.  Researchers don't get much dose at all.
The hospitals have rad waste programs of course, and they often vend out the work to contract companies, but don't have full time waste staff.  We here have the largest broadscope license in the country, and do have a permanant rad waste staff...The manager and the handler.  The entire rad safety office staff consists of 11 people.
Academics are important to hospital heirarchy. The hospital where I work, a MS degree, for the most part, means you're not done yet.
I have worked a job where my little AS, NRRPT and experience got me hired, but that can be unusual, and those opportunities don't often pop up.  I'm sure they would have preferred an MS if they could have gotten one.
As always, private industry, like pharmaceutical companies, will pay better.  Most hospitals are non-profit status, so only their professional staff will make the big bucks.  The rest of us may get a maximum 3% pay raise every year. 

Since I started working here, more than 50% of the radioisotope use in the research laboratories has dropped. 99% of all the radioisotopes purchased are used is in the clinical areas.  As I work in the research areas, it gives me concern once in a while, but not too much.  While the chemoluminescent methods are taking over where they once used radioisotopes, there is still a need, so I'm secure for a few more years. 

The pluses of hospital HP: Steady, I'm home every night, 40 hours, good benefits, health care, access to a 403(b) and a pension, now that I'm vested.  I also get to interact with some of best and brightest minds in the world. I often don't have a clue as to what they're talking about, but do appreciate the passion and dedication I see. 

Down side: No great wealth in site, no outage rushes and the fun you can have at plants, with new friends and old, and running around the country.  I still occasionally dream about being in a drywell, but in the dream it's all fun.:)

Pet Snake was right in talking about many 2 year programs around for radiology techs, sonogram techs and positions like that.  There is some good money to be made in those fields, and will be so for at least the next 20 years.  You can also travel like you do now. Plenty of per diem, it's usually higher and the pay is better than plant HP.

Well that's my 2 or 3 cents from my view.
Good luck,
Melissa

FatMalky

« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2007, 03:43 »
Hey, thanks a lot, Pet Snake and Melissa.

Some interesting stuff there - I've been checking out some medical positions but really, it's difficult to move away from the outage life once you get used to it!!... I KNOW I'm not the only one thinking that.

I will make the plunge one day, I really want to, but at the same time, I enjoy what I'm doing.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?