Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu NPTU charleston or ballston spa? honeypot

Author Topic: NPTU charleston or ballston spa?  (Read 14372 times)

bordway

NPTU charleston or ballston spa?
« on: Jun 14, 2006, 09:31 »
I was wondering if there were any people on the forum who had been to either lately or if anyone has heard any rumors or could atleast put to rest some of the rumors that I have heard in school.

I heard they closed one of the reactors in NY and it will be opening when we graduate (around Oct 6th Class 0604) meaning that most of our graduating class will be headed to New York, I've heard as much as 80% of our class is potentially headed there but it leaves me wondering how they are going to man the other reactors if most of our class is going back there.  But I have also heard this has no effect on the distrubution of our class to NY or here and that it will be about a 50/50 split. 

I heard short sleeve utilities are allowed in NY but not in SC while in prototype.

How is the leave situation if you go to New York, do you get more time? 

What is BAH in NY (I heard it's about 800$/mo here in SC)

Is one easier than the other as far as getting ahead of the curve?

What is the schedule, is it 7 days a week? 

What's the closest airport in NY to Ballston Spa?

Just any other knowledge you wish you would have known or you think is helpful would be greatly appreciated.  I'm torn between going or staying here.  I really am getting sick of Goose Creek though, that's for sure.  Thanks for your time and appreciate any and all responses.

taterhead

Re: NPTU charleston or ballston spa?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 15, 2006, 02:08 »
If you are transferring in October, I am not sure you need to worry about short sleeves. in NY.  Think more like peacoat.

The BAH is likely higher, but BAH follows housing costs, so expect equal percentages.  Ballston Spa looks like about $833/mo without dependents.  SCAR is $805/mo without dependents.

I would suspect that they are run pretty much the same.  Talking to a few folks at my command who just came from there they say that training, qualification, and all that are pretty much standardized.  Same shift work, same schedule.

I will say that if you are planning to spend Oct-April/May in Ballston Spa, I hope you like snow and cold :)

Samabby

« Reply #2 on: Jun 15, 2006, 10:49 »
I think that the first class to go up there in large numbers will be 0605. Your class should still be about 70 % in Goose Creek.

As noted, do you enjoy cold weather? If so, there should be room for you in Ballston. Every other aspect of the training will be standardized.

bordway

« Reply #3 on: Jun 18, 2006, 11:33 »
Thanks for the info.  I don't mind cold weather at all.  I say that now but I could see digging my car out of snow everyday kind of annoying. 

Handgimp

« Reply #4 on: Jun 27, 2006, 07:26 »
I heard short sleeve utilities are allowed in NY but not in SC while in prototype.

I'm not sure about the '35, but on my boat students are supposed to wear either long-sleeved utilities or coveralls on watch. This is due to students' lack of familiarity with the engineroom and the steam piping.

igotdizzy

« Reply #5 on: Jul 29, 2006, 10:10 »
It looks like the My plant will be staying down for longer than expected, so i doubt so many will be going to NY for your class.

bordway

« Reply #6 on: Jul 31, 2006, 08:20 »
I heard they do temporary shutdowns for quick maintenance (couple weeks here and there) but it usually does not affect an incoming class...   do you think this shutdown will really keep more people from 0604 here in charleston?  that would be awesome for us who want to stay here.

cave_dog42

« Reply #7 on: Aug 03, 2006, 05:52 »
im in 0603 and out class is 50/50 split between ny and sc. and as far as i know its gonna stay that way, but to answer your question, yes MARF is down for maintenance.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?