Are you a lefty?

I'm a lefty
53 (40.5%)
I'ma righty
68 (51.9%)
I'm ambidextrous - or confused.
10 (7.6%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: [Poll] Lefties in the Nukes  (Read 35062 times)

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
[Poll] Lefties in the Nukes
« on: Oct 20, 2003, 12:25 »
wolfen alluded to an abundance of southpaws in the nuclear workforce on the thread, "does musical talent dwell within nuclearworkers".  has anyone else noticed this phenomena?  I once was on a crew that had 14 lefties out of a total of 23, at least i think that was the ratio.  maybe housepuke and barleybuddy can help me out here.  anyway, that was the most disporportionate crew i was on, also one of the bestest!  
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

ex-turbine_cowboy

Re: [Poll] Lefties in the Nukes
« Reply #1 on: Oct 20, 2003, 02:30 »
Lefty is besty and we be the only people in our right minds and we make better lovers - just ask us

Do a poll Slo Go

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #2 on: Oct 20, 2003, 02:38 »
I'm a lefty.

Offline Phurst

• NRRPT-HPT
  • Very Heavy User
  • One in a row!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 20, 2003, 03:07 »
I'm a righty but I'm bi-lingual.
Today is the best day of my life! HSIITBS!

'For the quality of owning freezes you forever into "I" and cuts you off forever from the "we". - Steinbeck

radgal

« Reply #4 on: Oct 20, 2003, 03:28 »
I'm a righty but i can be ambidexterous on everything but writing and sports.   ???   Being a waitress before tech work was a contributing factor.

Doc_REM

« Reply #5 on: Oct 20, 2003, 03:54 »
I'm a rightity I think and can't see or hear out of my left side...why is that...but everything else works just fine...I think????

Offline Nuclear_Dog

• First Line Greeter...have a nice day
  • Moderate User
  • Operators Rock...we get the whole plant a shaken!!
« Reply #6 on: Oct 20, 2003, 04:44 »
I'm a leftie, but I bat right and shot right (hockey that is)  ;D
"Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice."
Major Sidney Theodore Freedman

Wolfen

« Reply #7 on: Oct 21, 2003, 06:40 »
Judging from the poll so far, Lefties are in a much greater abundance in the nuke industry than the national average, which I think is much less than 10% of the population.

There has to be a connection.  Any theories???

Offline Rain Man

• Very Heavy User
  • Constants aren't, variables won't.
« Reply #8 on: Oct 21, 2003, 06:46 »

There has to be a connection.  Any theories???

Commercial nuclear power is under the control of the minions of satan???.....or is it managed health care??
"Giving power and money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenaged boys." -P.J. O'Rourke

"Politics is the skilled use of blunt instruments"  -Lester B. Pearson

Wolfen

« Reply #9 on: Oct 21, 2003, 06:53 »
Ahhh!!! Rain Man, you obviously subscribe to the believe that left-handed people are sinister in the Biblical sense.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #10 on: Oct 21, 2003, 07:03 »
southpaws ain't sinister.  they're sinistral.

Offline Rain Man

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #11 on: Oct 21, 2003, 09:31 »
Ahhh!!! Rain Man, you obviously subscribe to the believe that left-handed people are sinister in the Biblical sense.

350 years ago they would have all been burned at the stake.  This is a more enlightened age.
"Giving power and money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenaged boys." -P.J. O'Rourke

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
« Reply #12 on: Oct 21, 2003, 10:24 »
I'm a lefty, and Sinister.  Go figure.

Any good stories about growing up left handed out there?
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

ex-turbine_cowboy

« Reply #13 on: Oct 21, 2003, 11:39 »
Born Right Handed, Fell from a castle wall in europe at the tender age of 11 and shattered my right arm and wrist. Cast and rebraking for about 8 months.  Went left out of necessity and discovered I was a closet southpaw.  Came out of hiding and found out the Girls liked us southpaws better.

Offline HousePuke

• ALARA Coordinator / Rad Engineer
  • Heavy User
  • If you don't like it here, go somewhere else!
« Reply #14 on: Oct 21, 2003, 01:57 »
I'm a hardcore righty, but I know plenty of lefties in the biz.
Sloglo, the crew you mentioned...is that a reference to Bettis those many years ago?  I don't recall the ratio 'cause I was just learnin' my way around back then. ;D
Irish diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell such that he looks forward to making the trip.

Inspite of inflation, a penny is still a fair price for most peoples thoughts.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #15 on: Oct 21, 2003, 02:14 »
housepuke.... that's the job.  what wuz so kool, wuz the lefthanded design on the glove boxes driving the site radeng goofy.  btw, i ran into the woman that was a biggie in the radcon dept (can't remember her name rite now...kathy?) at a hps meeting a couple years back.  she's out of the dept....doing legal.  :o

Offline uRiaL

• BELIEVING RCT
  • Moderate User
  • God knows the path I take......
« Reply #16 on: Oct 22, 2003, 05:48 »
[smiley=clown.gif]I'm a lefty and proud of it,my crossover(basketball) is a thing of beauty.They saY THAT i have a little talent with the oils and watercolors. ;D ;D ;D ;D =D The teachers always tried to force me in preschool and kindergardento write righthanded,talk about trauma to ayoung mind [smiley=eye.gif]
I thank  GOD for you with every remembrance of you.

MajorMinor

« Reply #17 on: Oct 23, 2003, 11:58 »
[smiley=clown.gif]I'm a lefty and proud of it. ;D =D The teachers always tried to force me in preschool and kindergardento write righthanded,talk about trauma to ayoung mind [smiley=eye.gif]

I am a natural Lefty who was assimilated into the right-hand world by 'old-school' teachers. About the only common task I can't do 'right' is cut my steak. Even when I broke my left hand, I had to hold my steak knife pecil-style on my left hand.
I've heard of hard-core righties who were completely helpless when they injured the right paw.

greengoo

« Reply #18 on: Oct 25, 2003, 12:15 »
I am a rightie.  I am also the only person I know who can/will toss high pressure gas/liquid cylinder between hands without looking at them while walking somewhere.  Is that strange?  I figure, if I drop one and explodes, in all likelyhood, I'll be dead instantly. ;)
I can also shoot either left or right handed.  Unfortunately, my right eye is around 20/2000, and the left is about 20/1500, those are my real vision records.  Therefore, for accurate long range shots, I use the left.  I first learned this little talent last in 2002, when I fell down the stairs and crushed my right facial nerve.  I had Belle's Palsey for about a year and had to wear any eye patch full of moisture gel for most of it.  I was unable to close my eye at all.  I still smile crooked, but the rest is better.  I just refrain from smiling whenever possible.
greengoo. 8)
« Last Edit: Jul 12, 2004, 01:12 by Green Goo »

Wolfen

« Reply #19 on: Oct 27, 2003, 05:48 »
Generally, Lefties can do more things right-handed than righties can do left-handed.  It's a right-handed world.  Lefties have to deal with that every day.  Has its advantages, though.

DeathDose

« Reply #20 on: Oct 27, 2003, 10:49 »
 Has its advantages, though.

Like those left-handed cigarettes?

Offline St Raphael

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #21 on: Nov 03, 2003, 06:06 »
As a faternal triplet and a mirror-image idential twin growing up I was left and right handed depending on my mirror-imaged idential twin.
"Plenty of people miss their share of happiness, Not because they never found it, But because they didn't stop to enjoy it."  -- William Faulkner (1897-1962)

Offline Rain Man

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #22 on: Nov 03, 2003, 07:11 »
As a faternal triplet and a mirror-image idential twin growing up I was left and right handed depending on my mirror-imaged idential twin.

straphael, not to be a wizenhiemer, but has this resulted in any counseling or medications??

Offline St Raphael

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #23 on: Nov 03, 2003, 10:59 »

straphael, not to be a wizenhiemer, but has this resulted in any counseling or medications??

Well wizenhiemer, I mean Rain Man, to answer your question, my twinkie and I are healthy and very well adjusted right handers today.  Although growing up we had developed our own language throughout childhood and still to this day start and finish each others sentences.  It's a twin-triplet thing.
"Plenty of people miss their share of happiness, Not because they never found it, But because they didn't stop to enjoy it."  -- William Faulkner (1897-1962)

Offline jkj

• Light User
« Reply #24 on: Jan 20, 2004, 02:27 »
 Came out of hiding and found out the Girls liked us southpaws better.

They do? Damn! I must have been "left"-out. Southpaw all the way.
Words fail me and pictures aren't much better.

"Never take no cut-offs, and hurry along as fast as you can."-- (Virginia Reed; member of Donner party.)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?