Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu ex-mm vs ex-et/em
honeypot

Author Topic: ex-mm vs ex-et/em  (Read 12612 times)

sparta733

ex-mm vs ex-et/em
« on: Jun 23, 2006, 09:37 »
hi all~

i was wondering what are the difficulties faced by an ex nuc mm who never stood watch in the "box" as far as making the transition to the civilian nuc world? thanks

Fermi2

Re: ex-mm vs ex-et/em
« Reply #1 on: Jun 23, 2006, 09:52 »
Standing watch in the "box" gives you no advantage whatsoever in the commercial world.

Mike

sparta733

« Reply #2 on: Jun 23, 2006, 09:54 »
you made my day lol

sparta733

« Reply #3 on: Jun 23, 2006, 09:55 »
so where can i find information on the "jist" of what a NLO does and what employers look for?
« Last Edit: Jun 23, 2006, 09:56 by sparta733 »

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #4 on: Jun 23, 2006, 11:02 »
Use the search box (one on every page) and search the site for NLO, EO, non-licensed operator, and entry level jobs.  This is a popular subject with lots of discussion on the site.  The Career:NRC, and Navy:Getting Out forums have a lot on this also. 

By the way, Welcome to Nukeworker!
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Fermi2

« Reply #5 on: Jun 26, 2006, 08:12 »
sparta,

Shayne was an excellent NLO. He can give you some insight as to what the job actually entails, at least at Fermi. I was an NLO. M1Ark was an NLO. Roll Tide was an NLO, an RO, and is now an NLO.

Its a great job, very physical at times but under most cases you'll get a bit of butt time.

I don't have time to get into the job itself but here is what I look for when I interview new hires. Not in any order

1: Ability to understand right from wrong. And corect what is wrong

2: Individual initiative.

3: Honesty

4: Ability to learn from mistakes.

5: A certain level of intelligence or at least a willingness to learn. I usually take for granted people in this industry are intelligent so willingness to learn is very important to me.

6: Willingness to look outside their own jobs to try to better the department.

Mike

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #6 on: Jun 26, 2006, 02:55 »
i was wondering what are the difficulties faced by an ex nuc mm who never stood watch in the "box" as far as making the transition to the civilian nuc world? thanks

I would say it could be an advantage. Operating a test source isn't really that equivalent. When you are dealing with 2000-3000+ MW (thermal) in a commercial reactor, it isn't like the boat.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

LaFeet

« Reply #7 on: Jun 26, 2006, 11:53 »
It has been my experience that not having "Box" time will not hold you back.  There are a number of differenes between the ol Navy way and the Commercial field.  But these will not hold you back.  The commercial field is really more laid back, but with the same knee jerk reactions happen, and with some greater magnitude.

Welcome to the civy life..... and thanks for you service   been there,  done that and still wanna thank you...

ET1(SS).......

M1Ark

« Reply #8 on: Aug 30, 2006, 06:56 »
Standing watch in the "box" gives you no advantage whatsoever in the commercial world.

Mike

Second that motion!

MM1

Offline MrNrge

• Light User
« Reply #9 on: Aug 30, 2006, 08:44 »
The only benefit that I was able to discern is that the box staff usually had better boredom management tools.
The MMs were usually finding new and unusual ways of causing trouble. My name appeared on that list most of the time.
 ;D
It is easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.

Fermi2

« Reply #10 on: Aug 30, 2006, 08:55 »
MAN my boredom got me into trouble BIG Time at A1W. Reactor Aux Upper Level was NOT the place to put a guy alone!

Mike

mattrev

« Reply #11 on: Aug 31, 2006, 05:04 »
The only benefit that I was able to discern is that the box staff usually had better boredom management tools.
The MMs were usually finding new and unusual ways of causing trouble. My name appeared on that list most of the time.
 ;D

No no.... They weren't unusual, they were creative. 8)

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #12 on: Aug 31, 2006, 08:19 »
First qualifier, I do not yet jknow enough about civ world to have relevant comments about what is or is not important skill learned from box time.
OK now.... I would think that the one thing box time gave me was much more exposure to the intergrated operations that go on during ops most especially casualty ops.  Not saying space watch stander did not know what was going on plant wide, more like when you are MMUL you focus on that during casualty with some concern for what LL is doing, but AMR??? you just leave them to thier tasks while you do yours.  In the box yiou have a dozen things happening at once and you are supposed to track them (guide as case may be) all.  Pure osmotic pressure means that at some point you begin to feel/learn the intergration of plant and systems with more of an automatic sense.  Becomes the old trained that way so I react that way thing.  IMHO an experienced box watchstander, not just qualified but one who has sat a couple of ORSE cycles with all the prep drills ect.., can sit at an oral board a do a better job of discusing plant response and integratino type questions than your typical space watchstander.  Of course there are exceptions to this as some guys just get it and do not need box time to get feel of plant at large.  Yiou might ask what about ERS and EWS?? well I thnk of them as extensions of the box and it is at that point where space guys begin to become more aware(I do not think aware is right word here but not sure what is) of the plant as a whole with primary/secondary and all other concerns they face in spaces.
Like I said, what do I know, just trying to put a bx guy perspective on it.  I know standing AMR2UL did not give me as much understanding of ER watches as I got once I went on the board as RO would think the oppsite was true as well.

Rob
Being adept at being adaptable I look forward to every new challenge!

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #13 on: Aug 31, 2006, 10:54 »
Rob makes good points, and there is some advantage in "box time" when preparing to license on a commercial nuke. But the original question was for transitioning to the commercial world; few transition from box to control room.

So the answer still stands that the box does not prepare for AUO as well as ER / AMR watches. The "big picture" aspect highlights are not emphasized in most AUO programs.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?