7 (14.9%)
Commercial for the money
7 (14.9%)
DOE for it's long term
20 (42.6%)
Commercial for it's more varied locations
13 (27.7%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: DOE vs Commercial  (Read 21885 times)

Gonzo

DOE vs Commercial
« on: Jun 29, 2006, 09:53 »
what's everyone's thinking on this?

stownsend

Re: DOE vs Commercial
« Reply #1 on: Jun 29, 2006, 11:44 »
I like sleeping in my own bed,seeing my family every day, and having a real life. The road was great when I was single and didn't care where I hung my hat several months a year but I make a good living without it.

Dan_E.

« Reply #2 on: Jun 30, 2006, 01:50 »
The pay is great and it's there week after week after week.

illegalsmile

« Reply #3 on: Jun 30, 2006, 03:46 »
I prefer DOE, but I'm old. It's more like a 'real' job. A younger guy who likes the intensity and long off-time between outages my prefer the commercial world.
The DOE does tend to pay better hourly wage, but there is a push in the DOE to do away with diem (see the INEL postings).

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
  • Cubs vs. White Sox in the Series this year.
« Reply #4 on: Jul 01, 2006, 11:17 »
DOE is definitely the way to go.

Long-term work gives you a constant 401k, benefits package, same address, less travel, paychecks every week, no unemployment office lines, no NEU test or MMPI, "Q" clearance is gold, low dose, no schedule push unless you are at a closure site, better opportunity for advancement/promotion, work for and with the same group instead of changing every 4-6 weeks.

Being a Commercial Carnie puts a strain on your vehicles, your relationships, your health (mental and physical), your finances, etc.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #5 on: Jul 01, 2006, 12:22 »
Dave, what happened to your karma?  I thought everyone loved you.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #6 on: Jul 01, 2006, 10:08 »
commercial is a lotta fun, doe is like a regular job, 'n the private sector is a mixture of both.  ain't nobuddy really straving in any of these sectors.  manufacture.... anybuddy got a grip on that?
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #7 on: Jul 02, 2006, 12:40 »
How about the 'Job Satisfaction' part of the DOE vs Commercial argument?

I usually feel like I'm doing something that needs to be done when I'm at a refueling outage...and I enjoy the feeling of getting whatever it is accomplished.

At a DOE site, I've always felt I was just there to fill a slot...

???
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

ramdog_1

« Reply #8 on: Jul 03, 2006, 04:52 »
How about None of the above ? I am working new coal plats being built and I am already over 64 k for the year. plus the company I work for has jsut signed the deal to supply the new nuke plants the vessel and turbine and the rest of the stuff for the frist two new plants

Offline TN-Man

• Light User
  • It's not the ending that matters..It's the journey
« Reply #9 on: Jul 03, 2006, 12:25 »
Gee Ramdog_1, making all that money you'd think you could buy a spell check. Just Kidding
I worked DOE for about 1 1/2 years and there is a big difference. At DOE (Oak Ridge) there are house techs ( DOE and UT-Battel) and contractors. House techs get the interesting jobs, like SNS and the reactor. Contractors got the temporary jobs, out in the fields doing remediation and D&D work. Grunt work for sure, but it is interesting and it is making an impact on east TN.  Long, long hours of just sitting. Then there is the constant, "Boys were are going to have a layoff." BS that you hear every week. Easiest job I ever hated.
I'm back at a commercial (Watts Bar) and love it. Just something about being near a reactor. We are busy, things to do, and the money is much better. I know I'm temporary here, but long term jobs at commercial plants are available.
Don't get me wrong, I keep looking at the ORNL job line and if a good house job comes open, I'll go for it-- just for the stability. Till then mark me as comercial.
Sometimes I look back on my life and think I could have had to work for a living. Thank God, I'm an HP.

Rahrah

« Reply #10 on: Jul 03, 2006, 08:45 »
It all depends on the kind of job you want to do.  There is something out there for everybody, and TN-man I noticed a couple of grammar and spelling problems with your reply too.

illegalsmile

« Reply #11 on: Jul 04, 2006, 05:53 »
DOE is definitely the way to go.

Dave, didn't you leave DOE for your current job? Do they still take techs at  Ashtabula w/o passing Core or NEU or anything else?

Offline TN-Man

• Light User
  • It's not the ending that matters..It's the journey
« Reply #12 on: Jul 04, 2006, 07:41 »
Rahrah, you are right there is a something for everybody. Keep looking at the job line and you'll see things other than HP work. They just had a listing recently for  accelerator operators, waste handlers and a bunch of other jobs you can not find anywhere else. I have to admit the jobs can be cutting edge, and there are the stories of ultra secret activities, such as helicopters landing in a smoke screen and a lone figures with a brief case dashing into an office. Or the ghost fleet with highly armed guards carrying who-knows-what to who-knows-where. But most of the work is the mundane astrophysics research or nanotech science that will produce things we'll use in 2020.  Don't limit yourself to HP/RadCon jobs there are a lot of very interesting jobs. And it is kinda interesting to sit in the cafe and see some of the smartest people on earth. Kinda scarey too...
Sometimes I look back on my life and think I could have had to work for a living. Thank God, I'm an HP.

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #13 on: Jul 05, 2006, 05:58 »
(illegalsmile) Ashtabula is governed by the DOE. Not to mention the Ohio Dept. Of Health and the NRC. The DOE is a presence up here 24/7.

(Rennhack) Everyone does love me. They just despise my political beliefs and my ability to say what is on my mind, without fear of their friends seeing it.

(UncaBuffalo) At a nuke, you are there to do something. Get the plant back on line, so the utility can get back to making some cash. At a DOE site, you are contributing to research and development, and trying to clean up what has been destroyed by our predecessors.

alphadude

« Reply #14 on: Jul 05, 2006, 09:03 »
working with DOE is like pushing wet rope up hill.

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #15 on: Jul 05, 2006, 09:32 »
Yes, but the DOE hill is very high and it takes you a long time to complete the trek up that hill....... Translation:longevity

Unless you enjoy going to a different hill every few weeks, and losing ground each time you have to move to a different hill.

6 of one, half a dozen of another, I guess.....

illegalsmile

« Reply #16 on: Jul 05, 2006, 09:44 »
I guess what it all boils down to is this.....if you want, for whatever reason, a job that's going to last a while and move at a more reasonable pace, you'll like the DOE. If DOE doesn't have a job where you want to be, or if you like to work long hours for a spell, then take a few weeks (or months) off, you'll go commercial.

alphadude

« Reply #17 on: Jul 05, 2006, 10:18 »
exactly, people at LANL have been here tooo long pushing rope. they are 20 years behind in how to do things... it keeps them employed

tonynuke

« Reply #18 on: Jul 05, 2006, 12:08 »
Commerical!!  I love it.  Fast paced, get in, make your cash, and move on to someone elses BS.  Summers off...work as much or as little as you want.  Scenery changes, people on the road with you are fantastic for the most part.  I wont do it forever, but as a single guy, this job is great!!!!  Just my 2 cents   ;D

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #19 on: Jul 05, 2006, 02:09 »
exactly, people at LANL have been here tooo long pushing rope. they are 20 years behind in how to do things... it keeps them employed

Alphadude, it looks like Big Blue is looking for a few good rope-pushers out at LANL....

alphadude

« Reply #20 on: Jul 05, 2006, 03:51 »
from rope smoking to rope pushing  aint life grand...
« Last Edit: Jul 05, 2006, 03:52 by alphadude »

ISOCS

« Reply #21 on: Jul 05, 2006, 07:09 »
I haven't done the DOE except to give a presentation. I can understand both ways because of the longevity of dealing with waste. I always liked having to get "the plant on line" to be able to go to 40's. Either way, it's important for the young guns to study, pass the NRRPT, and make this their career.

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #22 on: Jul 06, 2006, 11:10 »
Made more money at DOE sometimes. more at commercial sometimes. Long term at commercial paid better. DOE was fun once I got used to people working in 20,000 DAC Air (yes, 20,000). 'Course some of them DOE boys was scared of gamma radiation....guess it's all in what you are used to...
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline jkj

• Light User
« Reply #23 on: Oct 21, 2009, 01:56 »
Easiest job I ever hated.
  Tn,--that's great. :) I basically agree with Dave, and I've worked both for years. Commercial's O.K. when you're young, but when you get burned out, DOE's more stable. Then I agree with Tn. :P
Words fail me and pictures aren't much better.

"Never take no cut-offs, and hurry along as fast as you can."-- (Virginia Reed; member of Donner party.)

Content1

« Reply #24 on: Oct 21, 2009, 03:34 »
Commercial was Ok until the outages got so short it wasn't worth traveling across the country for 2 weeks here, 2 weeks there and then your unemployment runs out.   As a house tech your income is kind of fixed, but it is steady.   It is a matter of dollars and cents.   When traveling was lucrative, I traveled.   When House became a better buy, I stayed.   When you are older it is nice to have health insurance to treat my old foggie health conditions.   

Offline idrum4food

• Moderate User
  • If ya need air, rope, or wings to get ta where yur goin, ya don't need ta go.
« Reply #25 on: Oct 21, 2009, 11:51 »
I've worked DOE, Commercial and now reside as a house tech and must say there's advantages to all. My family usually traveled with me so DOE in the latter years was the option, however I cut my RP teeth in commercial power in the early days (early 80s). As a contractor you always have options to utilize at anytime to fit your current situation. As a house tech, those options aren't always in your best interest but the bennies are a fine substitute for options.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?