Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Prototype in SC or NY?  

Author Topic: Prototype in SC or NY?  (Read 10447 times)

Offline smoothtoaster

• Light User
Prototype in SC or NY?
« on: Jul 05, 2006, 09:59 »
I know that you don't really get a choice in which prototype you go to. Do people seem to prefer one to the other?  Any significant differences? I assume that prototype in NY would suck in the winter.

-----------------
smoothtoaster

bbishop

Re: Prototype in SC or NY?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 07, 2006, 08:34 »
I went to NY as a student (even though I asked for SC) and I did a shore tour at Charleston.  NY was pretty after March but I definately preferred Charleston.  The bars in Saratoga Springs were plentiful but lame and the girls were not plentiful. The only advantage to NY was that you had some cool places to go on your 4 day like Montreal, NY City or Boston.  Good luck wherever you end up.

M1Ark

« Reply #2 on: Jul 07, 2006, 08:52 »
Idaho was awesome.  Had to be there to appreciate..... never mind.  Sorry for being off-topic.

Fermi2

« Reply #3 on: Jul 07, 2006, 09:10 »
Idaho was incredible. Best time I've ever had in my entire life.

Beers at the Hub, women at the Skyway, great scenery and LDS parties after swing shift!

Mike

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #4 on: Jul 07, 2006, 10:59 »
Hey NY was great when I was there winter 85-86 (I guess the fact that I skied my ass of helped). MT Gore is only 45 mins away and the lift tickets then were like $20 with rentals (less if you got MWR skis).  In fact I was there when S3G was falling apart and we got extended.  Bars were okay the Skidmore girls were out (might have been before age went to full 21).  All in all not to bad. (glad I went there becuase everyone who went to Idaho got sent to CVN-65, and I mean everyone, I seem to recall it was one of the biggest Navy drug busts ever from pee tests)

Rob 
Being adept at being adaptable I look forward to every new challenge!

lswartz

« Reply #5 on: Sep 09, 2006, 11:49 »
There are obvious plusses and minuses to each location (e.g. hot sticky Charleston summers, bitterly cold Upstate winters, fun but uppity Saratoga Springs, fun but redneck Charleston...) but judging from my own experience at Ballston Spa compared to what my classmates told me about the MTSs, the New York prototypes are more laid back than their Charleston counterparts.  Of course, it all depends on your particular chain of command...

Me, I'm glad I got to experience both places (I liked both Charleston and Ballston Spa for different reasons), and despite an extended shutdown we didn't have too much trouble qualifying at MARF.  Either way, I'd advise living downtown (either downtown Saratoga or Charleston) for the best off-duty time.

PerfectReality

« Reply #6 on: Sep 17, 2006, 03:04 »
I just went to Charleston Prototype in July 2005 and was given the choice of the two. The present (unless it has changed very recently) method to send us is based on evenly splitting the GPA of the graduating Power School class. It still comes down to a little bit of luck, but we all ended up getting what we wanted.

As far as which one to pick, like has been said before, both have their advantages. Personally, I didn't want to move again. To each their own.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #7 on: Nov 16, 2006, 03:35 »
Well since we are all shut down in NY for a while I guess your choice is narrowed down. :) Uh, but that depends on when you go to prototype. Should be back up in the march time frame but I am sure the pipeline will have a kink in it for a while.

Justin

DarkMesa8

« Reply #8 on: Nov 17, 2006, 12:46 »
Which really sucks, because I was really hoping for NY NPTU. 

I don't graduate power school until the end of May 2007, so there's a sliver of hope.  But I've been telling my NY/NJ buddies to forget about me being there next year.

Than again, I've heard about 10 different stories about NY NPTU, most of them from people with more than one chevron.

ender17

« Reply #9 on: Nov 17, 2006, 12:58 »
Huh?  What?  That it sucks?  Nah, I been up there twice.  MARF, though a bit on the very different side of life of plants, is still a great plant to operate.  Though, I will say that the better instructors up there are at S8G.

Handgimp

« Reply #10 on: Nov 23, 2006, 01:36 »
Well since we are all shut down in NY for a while I guess your choice is narrowed down.

Yeah, you guys suck. Class 0604 isn't too bad, but 0605 and the next couple are going to be painful.

/not to mention BROSCE and ERR coming up at the same time, as well as our 07-1 shutdown.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?