Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Northeast exam

Author Topic: Northeast exam  (Read 40857 times)

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
  • it was like like that when i got here!
Re: Northeast exam
« Reply #25 on: Nov 12, 2006, 10:26 »
i always thought that the "study guide" was just that.Not a be all end all guide encompasing everything....I was always told to reference other study material like that MOE thing & the DOE stuff is helpful too...gives a different perspective.

Atomic_Punk

« Reply #26 on: Nov 12, 2006, 08:40 »
"Whats that got to do with Frisking a Wrench?"

Well...

1. Where was the wrench used?
2. What were the possible contaminants?
3. What type of meter is uded?
4. What type of probe was used?
5. Does this particular wrench have any crevices that are inacessible?
6. Does this wrench have any self shielding pieces?
7. Are you qualified to free-release this wrench?
8. Is the meter calibrated?
9. Is the meter source checked?
10. What is the background where you are counting it?
11. Can you hear the audible response?
12. How fast are you frisking?

What's any of this got to do with the test?  This is all "experience based" and "common sense" knowledge.
« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2006, 10:34 by Colonel Angus »

Offline hoghunter

• Moderate User
  • I have often regretted my speech, never my silence
« Reply #27 on: Nov 14, 2006, 01:46 »
The response I recieved from a previous statment, I do agree knowlegde of  the nuclear enviroment is importent.I have passed the test before, but since then my time ran out and now they try to make the test so much more on instrumentation. I am simply saying that being a brain whiz will not give the experience to anticipate what could and may happen in the field and to also know what to do when a problem occurs.I just think the test alone doesn't make a good tech. I think knowing the systems, being able to get along with others and anticipate is a key ingredient to being a good tech.
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand

Offline Old HP

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #28 on: Nov 15, 2006, 10:51 »
The bottom line is the utilities DO NOT care if the techs have taken the test 1 time or 10 times,the test is administered as a form of protection for them. Think about it the next plant you work at as you spend 2-3 days in training and then are asked to sign that you are familiar with the procedures and the expectations of the management.Does anyone remember when you actually had training that was really useful for the job you actually worked during an outage?
Nowdays the use of mockup and practical training is very minimal. Yet the utilities complain that there are not enough techs. It seems no one has figured out that with the short outages and lack of time for proper training that the less experienced techs get few opportunities
to learn and improve their knowledge base.
Alas I digress, I guess I'll go take the NEU exam, that always (?) makes me feel better.

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
« Reply #29 on: Nov 16, 2006, 01:43 »
A good analogy--It would be like taking your driving test over each time your license needs renewing. think about it.
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #30 on: Nov 16, 2006, 02:53 »
A good analogy--It would be like taking your driving test over each time your license needs renewing. think about it.

True... but I know a lot of drivers that should do that!

I am not a fan of the test, but I am a proponent of learning the information in the test.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

wglewallen

« Reply #31 on: Nov 16, 2006, 09:04 »
My comment to the test is study your rear off for about two weeks take the test then do not worry about it again for 4 or 5 years, and forget every thing you have learned in a short period of time.  There is very little of it that you will use while working a nuclear plant. Now! that makes a lot of sense. Discussing this is like the weather, religion and politics something we as technician are not going to change.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #32 on: Nov 16, 2006, 11:57 »

better analogy would  be like taking the mmpi test over each time you want to go to work in a nuke power plant.  'n doz questios don't even git changed.  but it'sa valid test, rite?  duz ennybuddy due study guides fer it?  i mean, ain't a nuke welders test da same at every plant?  enny study guides fer dat won?
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #33 on: Nov 17, 2006, 08:08 »
I am simply saying that being a brain whiz will not give the experience to anticipate what could and may happen in the field and to also know what to do when a problem occurs.I just think the test alone doesn't make a good tech.

I agree wholeheartedly. Hope you realize that I was being sarcastic on the S/G comment... 8)

I was a better tech after taking the test (because I studied some stuff I hadn't looked at in a while), but passing the test didn't guarantee my competency.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline hoghunter

• Moderate User
  • I have often regretted my speech, never my silence
« Reply #34 on: Nov 17, 2006, 10:36 »
In reply to ROLL TIDE. I realize that already and regret my statement. I just get sick of these so called book whiz's thinking knowledge is all you need. Please accept my apology. You know what I'm trying to say about the test.
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #35 on: Nov 17, 2006, 10:48 »
Please accept my apology. You know what I'm trying to say about the test.

No apology needed. But if you insist, it is accepted.

It sounds like we are saying the same thing about the test.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Chimera

« Reply #36 on: Nov 19, 2006, 05:08 »
i always thought that the "study guide" was just that.Not a be all end all guide encompasing everything....I was always told to reference other study material like that MOE thing & the DOE stuff is helpful too...gives a different perspective.
I agree and I recommend this to other people getting ready for the test, also.  I especially recommend the DOE lesson on Mathematics as a review of the basics for those who feel they are weak in that area.
However, my original point is that some sites include questions (especially in the area of instrumentation) that are completely site specific and/or instrument specific and not included in any of the above materials.  Those sites should prepare a study guide addendum that includes their specifics instead of blind-siding the technician when he walks into the room to take the test.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #37 on: Nov 19, 2006, 06:50 »
...some sites include questions (especially in the area of instrumentation) that are completely site specific and/or instrument specific and not included in any of the above materials.

Unless things have changed since I was an instructor (and they probably have to some extent) the questions all come from a standard bank and are (somewhat) randomly selected. I don't think the utilities are allowed to add their own questions and still consider it the 'standardized' test that it is supposed to be.

But, as several people have stated before me, I could be wrong.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

shovelheadred

« Reply #38 on: Nov 19, 2006, 07:53 »
...I disagree with "the old HP",,,about Mock-ups not being used...I have worked for AREVA and Westinghouse, they both have great facilities that are being used now, for the upcoming outage season,,,onsite mock ups are not the only training aids .....as far as the NEU,,,without this standard, we would be back to the old times of bartenders, dancers and waitresses being paid the same wage as a degreed, ex-navy, or deconner that worked their way to Sr HP( all three are knowledgable, trained professionals) the test like RD Troja said has changed, the training days have gone away, and this test is one way the utility has to support their claim that Nuclear Power is SAFE

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #39 on: Nov 19, 2006, 04:26 »
.....as far as the NEU,,,without this standard, we would be back to the old times of bartenders, dancers and waitresses being paid the same wage as a degreed, ex-navy, or deconner that worked their way to Sr HP( all three are knowledgable, trained professionals) the test like RD Troja said has changed, the training days have gone away, and this test is one way the utility has to support their claim that Nuclear Power is SAFE

persunelly, i think that ffd did more to eliminate the bartenders, dancers and waitresses (not that theirs enny thang rong wit them) being in da field than the neu.  study guides, cram sessions, 'n udder study methods will enable an enterprising individual a way to pass da test, but da ffd test got rid of plenty more undesirables. 
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline lauriema19

• Light User
« Reply #40 on: Nov 19, 2006, 04:36 »
How about Comanche Peak's NUE? Do they produced their own test or the standard nue?

Offline Old HP

• Moderate User
« Reply #41 on: Nov 20, 2006, 09:01 »
Hey shovelhead,

In regard to the mock-up training. I am very familiar with what Areva and Circle Bar W have. I have run training programs at The Mill. However I was refering to the fact that time is so tight now that it is rare to even have the HPs meet the people they are covering before they are in containment. In the last 10 years it has averaged 1 in 3 sites at least invite the techs to the prejob briefing for jobs like ECT, CRDs and refueling activities. The rest just expect you to jump in and cover the jobs and know what is coming. I have seen many techs get steamrolled because of management's expectation that all techs  should know everything.  Let me know if you have expeienced a better percentage.

shovelheadred

« Reply #42 on: Nov 20, 2006, 03:47 »
... ok.. old HP...what percentage are you refering to?...you confused me...the training classes you had at "the  mill"...I may have attended...I worked for both Master-Lee and Westinghouse...send me an e-mail...or if you dont mind people knowing , who are you?...I am Bud Broom

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?