Reference, Questions and Help > Polls

Nuclear - The Next Generation

(1/10) > >>

RP Instructor:
After the Arab Oil Embargo of 1973, the immediate U.S. response was to become energy self-sufficient by the 21st century. Sadly, 30 years later, the U.S. is not where it should be in terms of energy self-sufficiency. In fact, the world economy and its' governments are directly impacted by the flow of oil from the Middle East. The technology exists NOW to begin the next generation of nuclear-power plants here in the U.S., and we can then reduce the U.S. dependence on Middle East oil to a smidgen. What's your opinion? When do you believe the U.S. will begin construction of the next generation of nuclear-power plants? Will they be built and owned by an energy consortium, built by the U. S. government and managed by a firm like "Duke Energy", "Progress Energy" "Dominion Power" or "Entergy", or completely owned and operated by the US government?

RP Instructor:
I could only pose one question per poll. So here's "Part Two" of my "not-so-scientific", "just-want-your-viewpoint" opinion poll on the next generation of nuclear power plants. Again, the question: "Will the 'next generation'of nuclear power plants be built and owned by an energy consortium, built by the U. S. government and managed by a firm like "Duke Energy", "Progress Energy" "Dominion Power" or "Entergy", or completely owned and operated by the US government?"

darkmatter:
I well remember the Arab Oil Embargo of 1973. I had rode with a Friend(?) to the Airport in San Francisco from Mare Island in his car in the evening. As He gets on the plane he hands me two bucks and says " Oh...yeah you'll need to put gas in my car to drive it back to the base". The Gas Stations had that odd and even license plate number for alternate days to fill up and they closed by 8PM ......Guess what time it was? I spent the night sleeping in the car waiting for the gas stations to open at 6 AM.
I've been waiting ever since for a Hydrogen or Electric car that was practical.
Those that don't learn from History, repeat it.

On the other hand, I do have my Star Trek style communicator (cell phone)

greengoo:
Electric cars are practical, however, they have a major flaw.  When charging, the batteries often overcharge and do one thing...EXPLODE.  Not a timely thing if you are needing to go some place, or if it is in your garage.  Fire, destruction, death.  Not good Mav. :'(

RP Instructor:
"The Gas Stations had that odd and even license plate number for alternate days to fill up and they closed by 8PM ......Guess what time it was? I spent the night sleeping in the car waiting for the gas stations to open at 6 AM."

I too, recall the odd/even requirement for gasoline purchases. I was a teenager then, and I recall getting-up before dawn, taking my Mom's car up to the gas station on the corner from our house, and waiting in line with everyone else in the neighborhood, until the gas station opened. I lived in New York City then, and I recall where violence broke-out when gas stations closed with cars still in line, when folks where suspected of "jumping the line", and when the station exhausted its gasoline supply with people still in line. Remember too, when you were only allowed to purchase a fixed dollar amount? The technology exists now with hybrid cars (gas/electric - in fact, Honda sells a hybrid)so we can significantly reduce our dependence on Middle East oil if we wanted to.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version