Reference, Questions and Help > Polls

Nuclear - The Next Generation

<< < (2/10) > >>

SloGlo:
best way around the odd/even license plate thingie was to use rental cars..... they could fill anytime at any gas station.  buying a "beater" with the opposite plate helped too.  just a couple of hints in case we go there again.  

RP Instructor:
Of those that responded, the majority believe there will be a "next generation of nuclear power", it's re-birth will be within the next 10-20 years, and be built and operated by a consortium of energy companies. This stands-to-reason, since even with re-licensing, most existing nuclear plants will begin decommissioning within the next 20 years. As far as the cost of new plants, the burden would have to be shared. Utilities would be un-likely to take on the burden alone.
So now for the next series of questions:
1.) Where will they be built (keeping in mind public opinion of "not-in-my-backyard")?
2.) What about the nuclear waste issue (also a NIMBY issue)? Where will the next Barnwell or Hanford be located?
3.)What about spent fuel re-processing? Will the U.S. pursue that option?
4.) If the US pursues spent fuel pool re-processing, will it be a private venture, or a government project (i.e. DOE)?

SloGlo:
ohcay, i'll bite   [smiley=cheeburga.gif]
1)they'll be built in hilly/mountaineous areas that are unappealing to agriculture interests
2)no more barnwell/hanford repositories as such.  incineration will become the vogue
3)spent fuel will be reprocessed, most likely shipped to france
4)see #3

MercTech:
I would say the next generation of nuclear power plants began in the 1990s.  The problem is that it didn't get to a nuclear backwater like the United States.

One former co-worker is now the RPM for a new plant starting up in Malaysia.  The third world countries are reaping the benefits of all the lessons learned from the U.S., Germany, and France.

But, it just isn't "politically correct" to build a new plant in the "good ol' US of A".

I've been following the flack in the old hometown newspaper, Jackson Mississippi, about the proposed building of a new unit at Grand Gulf.

Are there any techs at Grand Gulf that care to give some insight as to what the workers for Entergy are hearing?

Steven Jerkins
HPT/PNNL

MercTech:
You needed one more selection on your question:

A consortium of nuclear utilities will try to build a new plant and be sued to bankruptcy by clueless environmental activitsts.

Cynical ain't I
<grin>

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version