Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Sub Life  

Author Topic: Sub Life  (Read 81494 times)

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: Sub life
« Reply #25 on: Jul 29, 2006, 12:57 »
You know the more you think about it (or have bad dreams) the more you remeber the "good" time,  like the memorial day field day weekend, because we had "pre-orse" on tuesday with squadron weenies. The nice part was we got to get off at 1500 on sunday so you could "spend time" with our families!! ::)  The best part was the weenies did'nt go aft for more than a half-hour the entire 2 days.  They only wanted to do programs and interviews  >:( >:(

Rob

Being adept at being adaptable I look forward to every new challenge!

Wirebiter

« Reply #26 on: Jul 29, 2006, 01:56 »

Hey does the Other Crew have those infamous sailors MM3 NotMe and ET2 HeckIfIKnow?

Mike

Exactly, and their LPO was MM1 Itwasthatwaywhenwetooktheboat

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #27 on: Jul 29, 2006, 04:11 »
I have a feeling fast attack life probably sways to the "really good" side or the "really bad side" a little more than a Boomer.  If you like to gamble, go Fast Attack!  I never got to experience it from the real good side, but I heard stories of great commands and great captians from people I trusted, so I bet they are out there somewhere.  I bet when you have a great captain or a good bunch of senior officers/chiefs, it could be a great experience.

reminds me of a movie quote

Jack Nicholson "Some of us have great stories, pretty stories that take place at lakes with boats and friends and noodle salad.  Just no one in this car."

Fermi2

« Reply #28 on: Jul 29, 2006, 05:08 »
WireBiter LOL!!!!

Projects duty wasn't bad at all. If something broke the yard fixed it. If it needed replaced the yard did it. In the summer we were in the yard for 70 days, the yard replaced much of the Engine Room.

We knew when we were gonna go to sea, the old man decided when we'd come back.

ORSE was no big deal as NR couldn't fail us, we'd do no workup and get an Average. They couldn't surprise ORSE us because they couldn't get the security authorization without the CO signing it. Heck they couldn't even cyheck about 3/4 of our engine room and chemistry logs because they didn't have the clearance to do so!.

I do remember some FINE cook outs on the pier.

Mike

taterhead

« Reply #29 on: Jul 29, 2006, 07:58 »
Just as a side note to all this sub stuff...

We are just finishing our 6 month availability on the Nimitz.  We have had 8 section duty throughout the period, and had 3 day weekends for the first 3 months of the avail.

8 section duty is scheduled to continue through our work up cycle.

Believe it, or not.... ;D

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #30 on: Jul 30, 2006, 10:26 »
surface puke.... ;D

shayne

« Reply #31 on: Jul 30, 2006, 10:34 »
I would believe it.. We were in 6 section on the cruiser when I left.  The cruiser was the way to go.  We had all the pros of a small crue like the submarine, but also the advantages of being a surface ship.

visserjr

« Reply #32 on: Jul 30, 2006, 10:35 »
Ain't no slack in a Fast Attack! Ain't no pride in a Trident ride. 3rd Gen Fast boat man. Hoyah!

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
« Reply #33 on: Jul 30, 2006, 10:45 »
Two kinds of subs in the sea, Hunter-killers and targets! :P

Torpedos on a boomer are like spurs on a chicken,  they are ok if you have to fight another chicken, .. but when the wolf comes to the coop you are in trouble!

Rob

taterhead

« Reply #34 on: Jul 30, 2006, 12:17 »
surface puke.... ;D

Hey, don't hate the player, hate the game. 8)

Rad Sponge

« Reply #35 on: Jul 30, 2006, 01:25 »
Don't be hatin on the Boomers, Scooter...

Its best defense is absolute silence...

The torpedos just give us something else to wipe.

Wirebiter

« Reply #36 on: Jul 31, 2006, 05:21 »
Just as a side note to all this sub stuff...

We are just finishing our 6 month availability on the Nimitz.  We have had 8 section duty throughout the period, and had 3 day weekends for the first 3 months of the avail.

8 section duty is scheduled to continue through our work up cycle.

Believe it, or not.... ;D

Oh yeah! Well subs get to pull into tons....well, doz..,er ok one or two ports.  But we don't have to work with idiot.....no no, thats not true either.  Lemm'e see here.  I know! We go on special super secret-squirrel missions that we........uh...really can't.........um, talk about, so yeah, uhmmm.  Well crap.  I'll just take solace knowing I can walk through every square foot of the boat without fear of going to mast.  Yeah, its petty, but its all I got.. :-[

taterhead

« Reply #37 on: Jul 31, 2006, 05:35 »
I'll just take solace knowing I can walk through every square foot of the boat without fear of going to mast.  Yeah, its petty, but its all I got.. :-[

Yeah, but it turns out the parts that you aren't supposed to enter into are the ones that you wouldn't want to enter into anyway... :P

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
« Reply #38 on: Jul 31, 2006, 09:17 »
How about the fact that I can walk thru the whole boat (yea yea ship) with a blacked out EAB on!! I mean after you pass out the first two or three time practicing it gets to be cake to find those non-skid tri-angle!!

Rob

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
« Reply #39 on: Jul 31, 2006, 09:19 »
Oh and lest I forget !!!! No skimmer will ever get the prestigious "GOLDEN BALL VALVE" award for "internal sans tank relief" :P ;D :-*

Fermi2

« Reply #40 on: Aug 01, 2006, 02:40 »
We had a forward puke blow sans on the CO. After that happened they had to provide at least a 10 minute warning prior to blowing sans, then the Duty Officer had to set off some sort of alarm.

The classic thing is, the CO originally wasn't gonna take a dump, he only did so because his wife informed him they were heading out to eat and he didn't have time to get home to lay a steamer.

Chief I sent you some advice my man. By the way I was in 8502.

Mike

Offline War Eagle

• Moderate User
  • PWR SRO
« Reply #41 on: Aug 15, 2006, 08:32 »
Dan,

I've been an officer on both SSBNs and SSNs. If you are single, my advice to you is to go to an SSN for your first tour.  SSN life is a little more demanding, but as many on this thread have said it all depends on the leadership running the ship.  My two cents: I went boomer as a single junior officer and I found that I had learned most of what I was going to learn by the end of my third patrol. PM me and I'll put you in touch with a couple guys that recently finished their JO tours. They'll give it to you straight.

Joe

KAMFRO

« Reply #42 on: Aug 30, 2006, 07:24 »
In response to the Third trident crew, we should expect them to make some mistakes..they are over worked...look back, how many calorimetrics did you leave for the other crew, and how many jobs got left for them to do...i mean damn blue and gold were always leaving things that needed to be done at the end of a patrol for the other crew to handle...The other crew is probably the most overworked crew in the navy...End of tour Nams for all

KAMFRO

Re: Sub Life
« Reply #43 on: Sep 03, 2006, 10:32 »
I dont know about qualifying making life better during refit.  When I was a nub I never stayed past 1800 on any day during refit except duty days...and still left by 1400 on day after...BUT once i qual'd SRO there was only 2 days i left before 2030 while in refit...Even day after duty...kinda sucked...I remember when i was qualifying the senior guys were outta there by lunch most days...Of course...the refit assist was nice when I was chosen as one of the RO's for Maintenance Assist...Mostly did stuff with the MINSY guage...but never there past 10am...sure as hell beat chipping and painting...

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #44 on: Sep 04, 2006, 01:10 »
All of our nubs usually worked with the div until all the work was done THEN did dink study.  Unless only one or 2 guys stayed to do a special job (only if duty section couldn't handle it), Dinks always stayed after.  Where were all these boats that let non-quals leave early when I was a nub!!!

illegalsmile

« Reply #45 on: Sep 05, 2006, 03:39 »
I was just curious how the typical nuke life is onboard a sub,
it's kinda like being in prison, only you don't get as much fresh air, or exercise, or as good food, or as much privacy, or as high a class of people to associate with  ;)

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
« Reply #46 on: Sep 05, 2006, 05:51 »
THat is all true, except the last part!  Well I guess if you have been to prison for the same amount of time you were on a sub then maybe they are more likely "your" kind of people in the big house.  I think the guys on a boat especially to guy aft are the best you will ever work with as a group!  Oh yea the grab ass in prison is different too, so I have heard but I will leave that to someone like you who knows much more about prison to explain :P (in prison hot racking means you are both in the bunk at the same time, right????) :P :P ;D

Rob

illegalsmile

« Reply #47 on: Sep 05, 2006, 10:15 »
s'right, Chiefie. Just like in the Goat Locker.

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
« Reply #48 on: Sep 05, 2006, 01:23 »
I guess that means you "slept" in the Goat Locker too!!! I guess you do get around!!!

illegalsmile

« Reply #49 on: Sep 05, 2006, 03:09 »
you guess wrong......but you must be used to that. my iq has too many digits for that 'circle'
« Last Edit: Sep 05, 2006, 03:13 by illegalsmile »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?