Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu A documentary film about you, nuclear workers

Author Topic: A documentary film about you, nuclear workers  (Read 22874 times)

hikerb

A documentary film about you, nuclear workers
« on: Jul 14, 2006, 06:44 »
My name is B. Rich.  I am a graduate film student at Columbia College Chicago working on my thesis documentary film.  I am exploring the industry (vs. the "issue") of nuclear energy.  I want to offer an audience the opportunity to go behind the scenes of each stage of the process (mining, processing, enrichment, reactors, waste storage/reprocessing), meet you and your colleagues and get an honest, objective look at the technologies and people that make it all happen.  I'd like to inform (and hopefully entertain) the audience rather than convince them of anything; let them decide for themselves what to think of nuclear energy.   

I'd love to hear from you.  Ultimately I'd love to come to your community and film your world, interview you, explore the facilities and have it all explained.  I've been researching for a year or so and now am ready to finally start meeting people.   

I've begun to contact some of the companies involved in the process, but if any of you have suggestions as to how (or who) to go about getting clearance, permissions, etc. for mines, the enrichment plant (I'm looking forward to going back home - Kentucky) or reactors, I'm all ears.  I'm expecting some serious skepticism with regards to bringing a camera near anything to do with "Nuclear" in today's political climate, but I'm willing to go through the hoops.

Thanks for you help.  You can respond to me here or email me at burningquestions@gmail.com   Anything you have to say will be appreciated.

Sincerely,

B. Rich

Gonzo

Re: A documentary film about you, nuclear workers
« Reply #1 on: Jul 18, 2006, 02:48 »
can't say as that i've anything to offer you for your film (except perhaps if you're still in need of someone for the starring role)..   but since i like the idea i did karma ya..   good luck and i hope it works out real well....   (by the way...   i'm willing to work cheap)

alphadude

« Reply #2 on: Jul 18, 2006, 02:56 »
use as the diva jessjenn, LD5030 as the lost soul, beercourt as mr knowledge, slogo as the character from the lower east side, dave warren as dave warren. 

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #3 on: Jul 18, 2006, 03:50 »
trinity's children; life along america's nuclear highway...bartimus, mccartney

hikerb

« Reply #4 on: Jul 18, 2006, 04:31 »
i just had to read over what it means to get karma'd.  thanks.  i feel better already.

don't be so sure you have nothing to offer.  your field qualifies you.  i'm sure you have opinions, ideas, dreams, hopes, fears.... they're all important i think. 

as for suggestions for the roles, great.  though it's a doc, it's still a film.  and you can't have a film that anybody would want to watch (or leave it feeling glad they did) without characters.  now i just need to figure out who is who. 

my budget is what i've managed to put away from teaching film classes, rehabbing basements and repairing toilets and the odd paying gig i get, so cheap is a key word.  i'd like to go around the country and see a lot of different places and meet a lot of people eventually.  but if you're out here in the midwest, i can come sooner than later.

after i get something to show, i can work for the grants to let me get out and about.

what i'm trying to say is if you think the film is a good idea like my karmic friend does, please don't sell yourself short as to what you can offer.  if nothing else, you can teach me more about it all.  there's a LOT of information out there i've been trying to wade through.  all of you can help me cut to the chase.

thanks again for the ideas and interest.

B.

Gonzo

« Reply #5 on: Jul 18, 2006, 05:20 »
well, you might want to look at the hanford reservation in the state of washington...  massive cleanup in progress and it's history goes back to the earliest plutonium production in the country..   there's numerous political issues regarding the site and new technologies for the clean up.  probably alot you could work with...    again, good luck

alphadude

« Reply #6 on: Jul 18, 2006, 05:27 »
i think the nuclear rocket site has to be the most interesting in nuclear history- imagine a reactor the size of a 55 gallon drum with 900 mgwatts of thermal rating etc.  Area 25 at NTS-

the saddest  SL1, Scorpion, Thresher etc

« Last Edit: Jul 18, 2006, 05:30 by alphadude »

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #7 on: Jul 18, 2006, 06:29 »
Don't forget to include in your film the fact that Natural Nuclear Reactors exsisted in Africa way before we decided to split the Atom (see Oklo).  Try 1.8 billion years ago.  Found in 1972, they did operate in many ways like todays commercial nuclear reactors.  People always freak out when they hear this and don't believe me, especially after they had just told me that nuclear reactors are an aberration for whatever reason.  It may be a good way to start your show and grab people's interest.

alphadude

« Reply #8 on: Jul 19, 2006, 09:33 »
excellent idea

Offline nuke_girl

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #9 on: Jul 19, 2006, 02:38 »
interesting topic..the non regulation of fossil fuel plants as opposed to the nuke industry.."naturally occuring" doesnt mean noooooo problemo for the general public. Its amazing to me the no nuke controversy out there while coal burning plants generate levels that noone even meters..
It is better to light one small candle..than to curse the darkness

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #10 on: Jul 19, 2006, 04:06 »
As a start, read this article to see what the current climate is in Nuclear Power, and a little history:

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,8367.0.html

hikerb

« Reply #11 on: Jul 20, 2006, 10:37 »
i'm happy to see my karma level rising.

i hadn't run across the "natural reactor" before; i'll be looking into that.  as for the article, thanks.  keep them coming.

as to nuke girls points about the fossil plants being a health threat that doesn't seem to get fully accounted for, it's a good angle.  one of the things to do with that i find really peculiar is the carbon credit.  how a polluting plant can buy credits earned by a non-polluting plant so they're allowed to keep up the pollution.  the credits are traded like a commodity here in Chicago.  i'm still trying to get into seeing the 'board' that controls the trades, but i wonder how such a plan would go over with the nuclear industry, or if it will come to that, with regards to spent fuel and such.

something the forum can fill me in on is outages.  from my vantage point, it seems like outages are a bit like a traveling festival or something.  i worked one summer at a rennaisance fair and the community that developed around those who traveled the circuit with those who were based in a town was nice to see.  friends reuniting once a year, etc.  are outages anything like that?  it seems to be a very fluid industry; lots of people living here for a while, there for a while.  anyone care to comment?

thanks again for your posts.  you're all opening me up to new angles my film can take. 

B.

Offline nuke_girl

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #12 on: Jul 20, 2006, 09:54 »
if you really want me to love you ..boycott Ben and Jerrys ice cream lolol they are a huge no nuke voice..and cannot believe..they petiton for no nukes..yet fossil fuel..is OK!!!! ..look into this http://www.ornl.gov/info/ornlreview/rev26-34/text/colmain.html
It is better to light one small candle..than to curse the darkness

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #13 on: Jul 21, 2006, 12:44 »
i'm happy to see my karma level rising.

i hadn't run across the "natural reactor" before; i'll be looking into that.  as for the article, thanks.  keep them coming.

as to nuke girls points about the fossil plants being a health threat that doesn't seem to get fully accounted for, it's a good angle.  one of the things to do with that i find really peculiar is the carbon credit.  how a polluting plant can buy credits earned by a non-polluting plant so they're allowed to keep up the pollution.  the credits are traded like a commodity here in Chicago.  i'm still trying to get into seeing the 'board' that controls the trades, but i wonder how such a plan would go over with the nuclear industry, or if it will come to that, with regards to spent fuel and such.

something the forum can fill me in on is outages.  from my vantage point, it seems like outages are a bit like a traveling festival or something.  i worked one summer at a rennaisance fair and the community that developed around those who traveled the circuit with those who were based in a town was nice to see.  friends reuniting once a year, etc.  are outages anything like that?  it seems to be a very fluid industry; lots of people living here for a while, there for a while.  anyone care to comment?

thanks again for your posts.  you're all opening me up to new angles my film can take. 

B.

Well back when the outages were long it could be like a festival or family reunion. I once had thanksgiving dinner twice at my house to feed all the guys who had to work and were away from home. Henry and I have shared some great times, especially the holidays with friends who like us were far from home and family.

« Last Edit: Jul 23, 2006, 01:14 by Camella Black »

vikingfan

« Reply #14 on: Jul 21, 2006, 01:53 »
you might also want to see if you can get a copy of " of atoms to ashes" its a ducementary about the 2 test reactors that were located at NASA's plumbrook reactor facility in sandusky,oh and is currently in the phase of being decomissioned. i'll try to help you get a copy if i can as i do have contacts that still work there.

james

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #15 on: Jul 21, 2006, 07:33 »
If your interest is in the Midwest, and you want to see what bad things can happen check out Zion (North of Chicago in IL). Unemployment is bad; that was one of the last plants shutdown.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

alphadude

« Reply #16 on: Jul 24, 2006, 09:07 »
while working on the set of Wild Hogs, I met a lady that makes films (docs.) i told her what you are doing and she is interested in helping and getting possible grants. She has done about 4 or so docs. email me for her phone number....

Offline JessJen

• Heavy User
« Reply #17 on: Jul 25, 2006, 04:37 »
if you really want me to love you ..boycott Ben and Jerrys ice cream lolol they are a huge no nuke voice..

i have a hard time with that one they just brought back dublin mudslide.........now for alphas diva comment...ive always seen myself as the cute one that knows more than most assume hehe.

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
« Reply #18 on: Jul 25, 2006, 08:51 »
i think the nuclear rocket site has to be the most interesting in nuclear history- imagine a reactor the size of a 55 gallon drum with 900 mgwatts of thermal rating etc.  Area 25 at NTS-

I was there for the decommissioning.  It was a very cool place.
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

LouDog777

« Reply #19 on: Dec 11, 2006, 06:48 »

The sad thing is that they are destroying almost all of the old facilities out in Area 25. 

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #20 on: Dec 12, 2006, 07:51 »
use as the diva jessjenn, LD5030 as the lost soul, beercourt as mr knowledge, slogo as the character from the lower east side, dave warren as dave warren. 

would that include cameo interviews with pet_cow, Rad-Ghost or other notable personalitites?  ;)

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #21 on: Dec 12, 2006, 09:02 »

my agent sez fer me to knot take off da stillers helmut four nutting.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline JessJen

• Heavy User
« Reply #22 on: Dec 13, 2006, 12:13 »
by the looks of it its grown on by now ;)

LaFeet

« Reply #23 on: Apr 16, 2007, 05:41 »
Heck  I think Slo Glo's helmet is making his Reading by Phonics lessons take hold

LaFeet

« Reply #24 on: Apr 16, 2007, 05:45 »
Hikerb   there is a lot of reference material available for use.  And with the Information Act releasing previously "classified" films, documents and accounts you should be able to put together quite a show.  I for one would love to see your final product.

I think you might need to add how the public here behaves when talking about nuclear power vs coal or natural gas generated electricity.  Go Nukes

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?