Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Mechnical Engineer with Desicions to Make... honeypot

Author Topic: Mechnical Engineer with Desicions to Make...  (Read 6245 times)

CConzelmann

Mechnical Engineer with Desicions to Make...
« on: Jul 15, 2006, 11:15 »
First off, thank you everyone for your willingness to help someone like me out.  I figure I can never have too much information.  Also, I apologize for my lack of/understanding of military acronyms.  I am pretty new to this.

I am a Mechanical Engineering student grauduating with my B.S. this December, and I want to do something meaningful with my life.  I have had three internships, and I have realized sitting at a desk in a cube farm does not fit my personality.  I have been strongly pursueing what the Navy's Nuclear Reactor Engineer/NUPOC program has to offer (although I am missing out of getting paid for my last 30 months of school), and I am very interested.  I head to Bangor, WA for NVIP Tour next week and I have MEPS on Monday.  The truth is I enjoy engineering, but I would like to at the same time serve my country.  From what it sounds like being a SWO would be a lot of paper pushing, and very little to no engineering.  But would Nuclear Reactor Engineer be any better, or would I just be writing technical manuals with no design?  I am looking for some insight on which program would be better for someone who wants to get their hands dirty and do actual engineering work, while at the same time serving in the U.S. Navy.

Thank you again.     

Fermi2

Re: Mechnical Engineer with Desicions to Make...
« Reply #1 on: Jul 15, 2006, 12:06 »
You aren't going to get any real engineering work anywhere in the navy. Design is done by contractors or shipyards. There may be some verification on the Navies part, but if you're looking for Down and Dirty Engineering, vice being a technician with an Engineering degree you won't find that in the canoe club.

Mike

CConzelmann

« Reply #2 on: Jul 15, 2006, 12:53 »
That's what I was affraid of.  I could try to get on with a contractor, but serving in the military is important to me.  Anyone know of any miltary programs where I could have the best of both worlds- design/engineering work while also serving in the military?  I know this is a lot to ask for, but for me, this would be the ideal situation.  If not, I still feel that NUPOC would be a good way to go.  Seving on Sub or Carrier would definitely be a good career.

Also, Grad school is something I want to pursue.  I was reading about the Naval Post Graduate school.  What would be the chances of going there during or after my 5 years of service if I choose to go to NUPOC?

Fermi2

« Reply #3 on: Jul 15, 2006, 04:54 »
I can't tell you anything about Grad school, I had brothers in the Army and Air Force so I have some knowledge based on their experience. Outside of the Army Corps Of Engineers I doubt there's any branch of the service where you'd do any engineering work.

Mike

Wirebiter

« Reply #4 on: Jul 15, 2006, 10:24 »
Actually CC, try looking into the Navy's Civil Engineer Corps (CEC).  I just put in an Officer application to that program and will get the results in November.  One particular branch of the CEC is the SEABEE force.  I dod not have first hand experiance with the SEABEES, but based on the research and a few people I have talked to in the corps, this definately sounds like a down and dirty, hands on job.  Building schools in war ravaged Bosnia or rebuilding roads in Hurricane stricked The Phillipines are only a few taskings I know the Seabees have tackled in recent times.

Here is the link  http://cec.navfac.navy.mil/

Just remember that this web site is a recruiting sight, so it will smell like roses, sort-a-speak.  See if you can track down some community managers, or Former CEC officers, they will usually give you the good with the bad.  I would ask a recruiter as my VERY last option.  Hope this helps!

CConzelmann

« Reply #5 on: Jul 16, 2006, 08:31 »
Thanks for the help!  I need to make sure I look into all of my options, especially before I sign on to anyting.  I am finding the NUPOC program to be kind of ironic being that they prefer engineering majors, then they teach you everything they want you to know about Nuclear Propulsion, and then you spend the majority of your time doing paper work and not doing any enigineering work. 

When it comes to my recruiter, I realize that he is trying to sell me something, so I take evrything he says with a grain of salt.  I am looking forward to talking with people who are actually in the program at the NVIP Trip.  Hopefully I can get some honest opinions and experiences.

Offline smoothtoaster

• Light User
« Reply #6 on: Jul 17, 2006, 08:42 »
i have no knowledge of anything pertaining to this, but don't hull technicians do some degree of engineering?

on another note, i know that Lockheed-Martin in Fort Worth, TX has been hiring tons of people to build planes lately.

--------------------
smoothtoaster

Fermi2

« Reply #7 on: Jul 17, 2006, 08:50 »
i have no knowledge of anything pertaining to this, but don't hull technicians do some degree of engineering?

on another note, i know that Lockheed-Martin in Fort Worth, TX has been hiring tons of people to build planes lately.

--------------------
smoothtoaster

If Hull Technicians do engineering then by the nature of their job Nukes do Engineering, Architecture, Physics, and other such items. So in short no they don't.

Mike

CConzelmann

« Reply #8 on: Jul 17, 2006, 11:41 »
I'll look into Lockheed-Martin.  I suppose it could still be serving my country, just indirectly.  I didn't make weight at MEPS this morning (too much time studying, not enough time working out!)  I have about 20 puonds to cut, so wish me luck!  Hopefully my recruiter will still let me go on the NVIP Trip to Bangor.  I have been looking forward to it.

nukewife80

« Reply #9 on: Jul 17, 2006, 08:54 »
So this is my first post but I thought I could be a little helpful. This link should provide you with some answers on the path that a SWO Nuke must follow.

http://www.npc.navy.mil/Officer/SurfaceWarfare/Detailers/412_SWON/

You will more than likely not be able to do grad school during the first five years of your commitment. However, at the five year point as a nuke staying in and taking swocp you can probably get your Masters as a shore tour either at NPS in Berkeley, CA or even get your MBA at Harvard or a choice of six other schools. And that two years you never have to put on a uniform if you get picked up for either of those programs and you make some nice change while getting another degree. Just be prepared to be gone (out to sea or in school) about half of those first five years! It's hard but I believe well worth it.

Fermi2

« Reply #10 on: Jul 17, 2006, 09:46 »
All of which is worthless paper and not real engineering like he seems to want to do.

Mike

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #11 on: Jul 18, 2006, 11:22 »
I am reminded of a friend that had a degree in "Naval Engineering". I asked him how he chose that particular degree, and he replied that the only other choice at NY Maritime Institute was "Deck Seamanship".

Some definitions consider "engineering" to be dealing with the propulsion and aux systems. Most degreed engineers will not be content with this type of engineering.

Corps of Engineers and SeaBees will allow you to do civil engineering; the odds of any other "real" military engineering for active duty military is probably less likely than transferring to NASA as an astronaut after your first tour.
« Last Edit: Jul 18, 2006, 11:23 by Roll Tide »
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?