Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Raising the Bar honeypot

Author Topic: Raising the Bar  (Read 45695 times)

alphadude

Raising the Bar
« on: Apr 29, 2003, 12:42 »
Lets raise the bar...Lets talk about something nuclear.

Offline RP Instructor

• Moderate User
  • Those who "can", "do", and go on to teach others.
Re: end the gossip and petty stuff
« Reply #1 on: Apr 30, 2003, 10:03 »
AMEN, BROTHER ALPHA!

alphadude

« Reply #2 on: Apr 30, 2003, 04:49 »
(gosh, remember the days of RAD Services...lol...yea i worked for them, and Eli was good on benefits... but u didnt hear that from me)

perhaps a more serious venue would inspire some to contribute, seek middle ground to achieve resolution and be the answer to situations that cause many questions.  

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #3 on: Apr 30, 2003, 06:39 »
Alphadude, What you're wanting to do (My interpretation) is "Raise the Bar" at the site, just as our industry has been doing for years. (INPO wouldn't fib to us would they?)  It's an admirable aspiration but I don't think it'll ever happen completely.  

People being people, especially people who spend a lot of time working 12 hour days, are going to blow off steam when & where they can.  That's one of the functions of the site.  The cool thing is that Mike trusts us to for the most part be human prodding us back to reality when the limit is reached or passed.  

People want to discuss Politics & Religion, a Politics & Religion board is formed.  (You get the picture.)  I think the "gossip & trivial issues" will always be there in one form or another.  How far it goes depends on our reaction to it when it appears.  

I'd come up with more but I've been up almost a day so I'll see if sleep helps.  

It's basically member driven.  Run it up the flagpole (Which you've done) & see if it flies.  
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Doc_REM

« Reply #4 on: Apr 30, 2003, 07:15 »
I come to this site to find out what people are thinking...YES even PC. I may not agree with them, but I find out what they are thinking. It may even change the way that I thought about a subject. I've learned that some of the subjects are things that I've had on my mind, but did not want to bring up.
That is the reason that this is an open site...
Please keep it the way it is...maybe improve it...but keep it an open area for our thoughts and idea's!!!

alphadude

« Reply #5 on: Apr 30, 2003, 08:36 »

or i could ask, has anyone had unusual experiences with P-10 at lower temperatures (0 deg. C) and what effects have u encountered with the lower grades of gas?

alphadude

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2003, 01:42 »
hey does anyone know the "claw". story goes he picked up a fuel pellet and threw it down the drain when he saw his RO2 go off scale!! bout blowed the meter outta his hand!! not that is a RAT to be hanging with!!!!   ahh nuke history!!!  

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2003, 04:16 »
ok i give! LET THE GAMES BEGIN!! So, which side do i go with this week?  

or i could ask, has anyone had unusual experiences with P-10 at lower temperatures (0 deg. C) and what effects have u encountered with the lower grades of gas?

never did 0 degrees C with p-10 instrumentation, but then i figger i'm a young man still, p'rhaps there's still time.  however, i have noticed that when temps drop below 32 degrees farenheit, accuracy is enhanced by re-plateau maneuvers.  i ony use industrial/instrumentation grade of p-10 gas, as is commonly available.  haven't had any experience with pharmaceutical grade.
boyoboyoboy.... cain't wait to find out wut is in store fer next week :-?
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

alphadude

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2003, 11:54 »
naaaa i've used large p detectors in all type of temps, well below 0 C, and never had problems.  its those feekin ludlums that seems to give fits.  typically though i use u-p grade and like i said never had problems. i'm thinkin that junk grade p-10 may be the issue. (technical)

wouldnt a denser gas induce a multipication factor??? such as in the neher-white chamber?? hmm go figure  waitin with baited breath...

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2003, 12:28 »
alls i know is that our efficiency  rose up to where it was supposed to be when we redid the probes (43-68 ) while working outside in the winter....  had fed and state auditors opine that  they were glad to see that we had done it prior (weeks) to their entrance to the site.... but then again, therez still time. ;)
not familiar with the neher-white detector mentioned, but since the gas multiplication factor is directly dependent on the applied voltage, i'm thinking knot.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2003, 02:12 »
i ain't sayin when i worked for rad.... but it wuz before george got into trouble wid the feds.

alphadude

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2003, 03:23 »
well it should rise according to the laws of physics and gas density.. more material to ionize per cc. but on my equipment its only a 1-2% variance and that is all asorbed in the stats over the long haul.

im thinking crappy gas.. and thats what i was fishing for.. i hear all these legends of gas separation etc... and i have not encountered any probs unless we use low grade..

bone dry uhp p10 the way to go!!

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2003, 10:02 »
i got my bonus from eli bnefore i started wid 'em.... but taht's a story for anudder thread where we don't due petty stuff 'n gossip.  ;D

so i wuz like thinkin, which i hate happenin on mondaze, but iffen a licensee wood make his release limits the same for fixed as they are for loose contamination, 'n dial in his probes for these limits, coodent he save a ton of cash by not smearing anything that met the limit for fixed?

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2003, 10:48 »
i got my bonus from eli bnefore i started wid 'em.... but taht's a story for anudder thread where we don't due petty stuff 'n gossip.  ;D

so i wuz like thinkin, which i hate happenin on mondaze, but iffen a licensee wood make his release limits the same for fixed as they are for loose contamination, 'n dial in his probes for these limits, coodent he save a ton of cash by not smearing anything that met the limit for fixed?

He would have to lower his limit for 'total' contamination to the limit for 'removable' contamination... in which case, he would loose a 'ton o cash' when throwing away things as Rad waste when they are actually releasable.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2003, 10:52 »

sew sorry, i see dat i miscommunicated somewhat here.... how unlike me!  anywaze, i was tinken more of licensees wid a "zero tolerance" stance..... like the onez dat won't let stuff go iffen yer needle swingz ona frisker anyway, but still make ya smear it...... seems like a waste a time 'n money.  since time is money, it's a double waste a money.  ;)   sew, iffen ya make both limits the same, ya save by not doing the smear thing, 'n iffen yer needle moves, well yinze were gonna keep it anywaze.

LoneWolf

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2003, 01:41 »
OK Alpha Dude, What would you like to see? As you should realize by the response to your thread, the members are willing and ready to respond to nearly any posts. We even have a "salty or sweet" thread? We are all just waiting to join in, therefore, grab the reins and lead in the direction you believe is better. There will be a few stray comments from time to time but that is what makes it interesting.

Start the roll

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2003, 04:21 »
'k, like i axed dis long time ago ona thread far, far away 'n nobuddy answered then, p'rhaps now, on dis thread they will.... what is the isotope with the longest half life?

alphadude

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2003, 04:47 »
baloneyium or is it congoleum? gees i might have to look it up in the book of useless knowledge!!! why its protium (H)naturally, greater than 1032 years remember not all isotopes are radioactive. is this some sort of trick question???  

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2003, 07:42 »
'k, like i axed dis long time ago ona thread far, far away 'n nobuddy answered then, p'rhaps now, on dis thread they will.... what is the isotope with the longest half life?

The isotope with the longest known half-life is tellur-128 (1.5E24 years) and with the shortest is radium-216m (7E-9 s= 7 ns).

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2003, 07:46 »
In releated news:

Bismuth breaks half-life record for alpha decay
23 April 2003

Physicists in France have measured the longest ever radioactive half-life - over twenty billion billion years - in a naturally occurring element that decays by emitting alpha-particles. Nőel Coron and colleagues at the Institut d'Astrophysique Spatiale in Orsay used a 'scintillating bolometer' at very low temperatures to detect the emission of alpha particles - charged particles that consist of two protons and two neutrons - as bismuth-209 decays into thallium-205 (P de Marcillac et al. 2003 Nature 422 876).

Although bismuth-209 is commonly thought to be the heaviest stable isotope that exists in nature, theory suggests that it should be metastable and decay via alpha-particle emission to thallium-205. This decay is not easy to measure because the alpha particles generated have very little energy, which means that the isotope decays at a very low rate.

The equipment used by the Orsay team consists of two "heat and light" detectors that are enclosed in a reflecting cavity and cooled to 20mk. The first detector- containing bismuth-209, germanium and oxygen - undergoes a slight temperature rise when it absorbs an alpha particle. This temperature change is measured in the form of a voltage pulse whose amplitude is directly proportional to the energy released. The second detector, made from a thin disk of germanium, registers the light flashes from alpha-particle events.

The team performed two measurements, one with 31 grams of bismuth in the detector and the other with 62 grams. The scientists registered 128 alpha-particle events over 5 days and found an unexpected line in the spectrum at 3.14 MeV - now attributed to bismuth-209 decay. The half-life was calculated to be (1.9 +/- 0.2 ) x 1019 years, which is in good agreement with the theoretical prediction of 4.6 x 1019 years.

The technique could be also be used to accurately detect beta and gamma decays. "The experiment is a by-product of our search for dark matter," team member Pierre de Marcillac told PhysicWeb. "Other kinds of decays such as protons from proton-rich nuclei could be studied by the same method but this will have to be proved!"

Author
Belle Dumé is Science Writer at PhysicsWeb

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2003, 05:05 »

The isotope with the longest known half-life is tellur-128 (1.5E24 years) and with the shortest is radium-216m (7E-9 s= 7 ns).

eye cee dat i errored in making dassumption of isotopically speaking in this thread/forum we'd all be on the radioisotopic page..... shoulda fricken known better :-[!  anywayz, my answers were po212 @ 298ns  & v50 @ 1.4e17 y.  sigh...

Offline Rain Man

• Very Heavy User
  • Constants aren't, variables won't.
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2003, 05:04 »
hey my pocket protector is worn out anybody got a new one?

Can Mike get Nukeworker.com pocket protectors??
"Giving power and money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenaged boys." -P.J. O'Rourke

"Politics is the skilled use of blunt instruments"  -Lester B. Pearson

kspero

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2003, 02:45 »
On the Rad Services thread....

Rumor had it, at the time of their liquidation, that profit sharing checks were distributed...  Any validity?

Offline Phurst

• NRRPT-HPT
  • Very Heavy User
  • One in a row!
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2003, 07:38 »
On the Rad Services thread....

Rumor had it, at the time of their liquidation, that profit sharing checks were distributed...  Any validity?

Yes. It was a miracle. I was recently divorced and broke from the fight and payoff, trying to feed a couple of kids, and one day, poof! out of no where, totally unexpected, came a check from Rad Services. Saved the day and took me through the short rough spot. I got it 1986-7ish.
Today is the best day of my life! HSIITBS!

'For the quality of owning freezes you forever into "I" and cuts you off forever from the "we". - Steinbeck

alphadude

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2003, 03:43 »
ohhh a puzzel.. what color is cherenkov in air. we know its blue in water...  i almost gave it away... lol

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?