Career Path > Security, FFD

NRC Access Authorization vs. Privacy?

<< < (3/5) > >>

Rain Man:

--- Quote ---The secure America bit does seem to have gone a bit far. If you have bad credit,no job,that's outrageous.It's even more chilling when problems you may have had 20 years ago could jeopardize your job now.20 years ago a lot of young males were in there teens or early 20's.You've got testosterone levels out of this world at that time in your life. Drinking,barfights,just outlandish attitudes,so how should you be punished now that you're older and more mature.The REAGAN era made just about everyone broke,except the rich.I served in the military ,and it still doesn't help with the silly rules,they are implementing. GIVE IT A BREAK,WE'RE NOT THE PROBLEM.SOME PEOPLE JUST WANT TO WORK. [smiley=hop_fire.gif]
--- End quote ---

I guess that cigarette I got caught smoking in the bathroom in 9th grade and went on my "permanent record" is going to come back and haunt me.

uRiaL:
Rainman,it wouldn't surprise me,they're losing their grip on reality. (0) (0)

Austria:

--- Quote --- If you have bad credit,no job,that's outrageous.It's even more chilling when problems you may have had 20 years ago could jeopardize your job now.20 years ago a lot of young males were in there teens or early 20's.You've got testosterone levels out of this world at that time in your life. Drinking,barfights,just outlandish attitudes,so how should you be punished now that you're older and more mature.[smiley=hop_fire.gif]
--- End quote ---

Well, I guess there's hope for us all then.
George W. Bush (you know...the president) was arrested 3 times including a DUI that he plead guilty to.  (he was in his 30's) And Dick Cheney (you know...the vice-president) has TWO DUI arrests on his record. And hey, nothing against them but I figure that if these two guys can be trusted to control the worlds largest military (and associated nuclear hardware) with that kind of stuff on their records then regular workin' stiffs like us should have some recourse to amend for some of our past indiscretions. Fair is fair. For ALL of us.  ;)

Already Gone:
The only disturbing thing to me is the part where they ask you your race on the questionaire.
At DC Cook, I simply refused to give an answer.  The guy in badging told me I had to answer.  I told him that I didn't HAVE to do anything, and he could give me the badge or not.
He gave me the badge.
At Monticello, I answered "C".  I assume that the screener understood this to mean "Caucaisian".  In reality, it simply meant "C", and I intended to say so if asked.

Here's the thing:  There is in all actuality no such thing as "race".  All human beings belong to the same species.  Our DNA is unique to each individual person (except identical twins).  Likewise, skin color, hair texture, eye color, thickness of lips, shape of eyes, broadness of nose, stature...etc.  are not exclusive to any one "race", nor are they uniformly common among any single "race".

Attempts to identify a person's ethnicity by DNA and statistics is essentially flawed because all the participants in the control group are "self-identified".  That is; somebody took a sample and asked them what group they belonged to.

Now, I can give a sample and say that I am a Native American.  Technically, this is true since I was born on one of the American continents.  I am not to my knowledge a descendant of any of the aboriginal tribes of America, known commonly as Indians.  But, I could say that I was and nobody could definitively prove me wrong.
I could just as easily say that I am African American, Asian, Hispanic, or anything else I want.  Who can say that I'm wrong?

In my opinion, they have no need for this information.  They can't use it to identify me, so what can they use it for without breaking the law?

Here's a trick; ask Mariah Carey what "race" she belongs to.  Being adopted, I bet she doesn't even know.  Her physical characteristics (other than being totally FINE) could place her in any one or more racial groups.  Be careful about making an assumption.  You could be wrong.  An Irish name does not guarantee Irish ancestry.

azkidd:
Glad I am not as paranoid as most of you.  Why is it so hard to understand when a countrys security is at stake?  Change has been something of a hardship for most people.  I have noticed it here at GGNS, and I notice it here on Nukeworker.  What are you gonna do when you have bitched your bitch, and there is nothing left to do except turn into an Israel type of country?  No more bitchin'then.  And the response I expect is Privacy is our right and freedom.  Well, go back to an earlier post;  employment is a privelage.  If you don't like it, there is a Walmart on almost every street corner.   =;

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version