Career Path > Security, FFD

NRC Access Authorization vs. Privacy?

<< < (4/5) > >>

Brigrat:
I get the feeling that no one on this site works in Security, perhaps I can help with the confusion.  The NRC recently released an Access Authorization order which  had many requirements, most of which are safeguards information.  The biggest threat after the terrorist threat is of course the insider threat (according to the NRC).  The only way to account for the insider threat without disrupting the hell out of day to day business of a plant, is to stregthen the depth of the access authorization process.  We all admit that the nuclear industry is about the best industry to be involved in in the country, and now in order to maintain our positions in arguably the best industry in the country, we have to answer some important questions.  The answers are generally maintained in very secure locations, and usually the results of a background investigatrion are up for interpataion by the access authorization supervisor.  If you truly made a mistake in your past, and aren't really a bad person, the opportunity is there for your "charges" to be adjudicated.  If you have a pattern of "Bad" behavior, you will probably end up working at a fossil plant in the future.  I am not saying this is right, all I am saying, is really the plants have no choice in the matter, this is an NRC thing.  THe plants just want to do their best to comply with the new orders.   So let us do our bests to help out our employers.

PS
does this sound like managements answer, because it probably is, Wink, Wink.

Austria:

--- Quote ---Glad I am not as paranoid as most of you.  Why is it so hard to understand when a countrys security is at stake?  Change has been something of a hardship for most people.  I have noticed it here at GGNS, and I notice it here on Nukeworker.  What are you gonna do when you have bitched your bitch, and there is nothing left to do except turn into an Israel type of country?  No more bitchin'then.  And the response I expect is Privacy is our right and freedom.  Well, go back to an earlier post;  employment is a privelage.  If you don't like it, there is a Walmart on almost every street corner.   =;
--- End quote ---

No one said anything about being paranoid azkidd. And if nobody bitches and looks out for themselves and others, then this country eventually will turn into an Israeli type of state.
We can look back at the fifties and McCarthyism and be shocked that such a thing could happen in our country. Paranoia ran rampant in the government. The less people pay attention to what's going on and just sit back and take what's given to us the less it becomes a government "by the people". It is our right and our DUTY to question what goes on and why. Participation of the people is essential to a democratic form of government. These days though, it seems all to easy to just write someone off as "un-American" or paranoid when they start asking questions about what's going on or voice an opposing view to the government.

I am sure that most of us are quite comfortable with the security checks that we need to go through for employment. However, that hardly means that we should not question something that appears new to us. Understanding and reason gained through a questioning attitude (questioning attitude...sound familiar to all of us HP types?) is something many people simply prefer over blind obedience.
Availing myself of the 'privilege' to work does not mean I forfeit the right to understand the requirements for employment.

Peace.  ;)

SloGlo:
personally, i have been uncomfortable with the nuke's security questionaires ever since they began asking for your soc number... my card used to say (the original that i lost, darnit) "not to be used for identification", and when asked for the number, i would block the number with my thumb and point that phrase out to the security person and place the card back into my wallet.  made for some uncomfortable interviews, to be sure.

Rain Man:

--- Quote ---

And hey, nothing against them but I figure that if these two guys can be trusted to control the worlds largest military (and associated nuclear hardware) with that kind of stuff on their records then regular workin' stiffs like us should have some recourse to amend for some of our past indiscretions. Fair is fair. For ALL of us.  ;)
--- End quote ---

All men are created equal....just in different tax brackets.

Austria:

--- Quote ---personally, i have been uncomfortable with the nuke's security questionaires ever since they began asking for your soc number... my card used to say (the original that i lost, darnit) "not to be used for identification", and when asked for the number, i would block the number with my thumb and point that phrase out to the security person and place the card back into my wallet.  made for some uncomfortable interviews, to be sure.
--- End quote ---

Like you, SloGlo, I lost my original card years ago. I did order a new one last year and it no longer states that it is not for identification. ( I do remember that, though) Instead, the information that comes with the card states, in part:
"Some private organizations use (SSN's) for recordkeeping purposes. Such use is niether required nor prohibited by federal law. The use of your (SSN) by such an organization for it's own records is a private matter between you and the organization."
It further states that:  "Any Federal, State, or local government agency that asks for your number must tell you: wether giving it is voluntary or mandatory, its authority for requesting the number, and how the number will be used. "

Yea, these are the kind of things I look up when I have too much time on my hands.  :P

Anyways, it seems that just about anything can be used for ID these days. SS cards, credit cards, phone and utility bills, etc...
I guess it is up to us as individuals to see that these requests are reasonable and that the information is used responsibly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version