Career Path > Security, FFD

NRC Access Authorization vs. Privacy?

<< < (5/5)

littlebittime:

--- Quote ---

Like you, SloGlo, I lost my original card years ago. I did order a new one last year and it no longer states that it is not for identification. ( I do remember that, though) Instead, the information that comes with the card states, in part:
"Some private organizations use (SSN's) for recordkeeping purposes. Such use is niether required nor prohibited by federal law. The use of your (SSN) by such an organization for it's own records is a private matter between you and the organization."
It further states that:  "Any Federal, State, or local government agency that asks for your number must tell you: wether giving it is voluntary or mandatory, its authority for requesting the number, and how the number will be used. "

Yea, these are the kind of things I look up when I have too much time on my hands.  :P

Anyways, it seems that just about anything can be used for ID these days. SS cards, credit cards, phone and utility bills, etc...
I guess it is up to us as individuals to see that these requests are reasonable and that the information is used responsibly.

--- End quote ---

It also states that "private organizations can not get information from your social security record just because they know the number."  

do you think that's true?  And if it is... why are they always telling people not to give out the number?   That's a little confusing huh?

rlbinc:

--- Quote ---

It also states that "private organizations can not get information from your social security record just because they know the number."  

do you think that's true?  And if it is... why are they always telling people not to give out the number?   That's a little confusing huh?

--- End quote ---

They may not be able to get information from the US Government, but Equifax and TRW are a different story.

A $15 credit check provides addresses and account info, which contributes to the crimes of Identity Theft and Credit Fraud. The criminal needs to provide a name, an address, and an SSN.

The credit agencies are required to get your approval prior to releasing information, but evidently, that is an inadequate barrier to crime.

That is one good reason to never give out ANY account or SSN information to unknown or unreliable entities.

(Might want to do a background on them first.... :)    )

I don't even provide my references addresses unless specifically asked, and then only with permission of those involved.

Chimera:
Back in the 60's we complained about the information the government wanted to do our DOD security background checks for the military.  In the 70's, we complained about the information needed to do our AEC security background checks.  I've been in trouble many times for being obstinate with security at various nuclear plants.  This is all my way of saying I agree with most of the comments in this particular thread.

However, where I'm working now - ostensibly in the nuclear industry subject to the provisos of the NRC and the CFRs - some of the employees sit in the parking lot during their breaks or during lunch doing crack, grass, or coke.  Some of them have arrest records that you would never imagine for someone being involved in the "nuclear industry".  Pass a GET or RadWorker test?  Some of them can't even read while others are only functionally illiterate.

There is a certain comfort level that comes with knowing your fellow employees and/or contractors are essentially trustworthy (just don't leave your wallet laying around).

I still resent all the information my employer and, through them, the government seems to think they need.  After all, how many times do I have to provide it?  You'd think that after giving the same information for almost 40 years they'd know everything they needed to know about me.

I don't know where the line needs to be drawn, but I sure don't want to go to work for Wal-Mart.

littlebittime:
Ok...
so I just finished designing a website for a security firm who does background checks  (I know an odd coincidence huh?  but I swear it's true.)
Some of you have walked through thier designs.   (hint hint)  They specialize in places which need "high tech" tight security.  
(Bond... James Bond)

So I asked one of them what the deal was with financial checks.  I was told that it in fact isn't a new practice... and it has little to nothing to do with 9/11 except for this one fact...

If you are financially in rough times... then you maybe someone who is more apt to take bribes. In which case the company would want to know about that, as it would directly effect security.  

So there you have it folks... that's why.  And it kind of makes sense huh?  

Nuclear NASCAR:

--- Quote ---

If you are financially in rough times... then you maybe someone who is more apt to take bribes. In which case the company would want to know about that, as it would directly effect security.  

So there you have it folks... that's why.  And it kind of makes sense huh?  
--- End quote ---

I remember when I got transferred to Callaway 5 (time sure flies) years ago I was told they would be running my credit report & the reason you stated was the same reason I was given.  I checked with my new coworkers when I finally made it inside the fence & was told the same thing.

What was real fun was the look on my old bosses face when he had to tell me that I had an appointment with the psychologist my last week scheduled at the garage.  I'm thinking he was worried that he was going to have to put up with me for a little longer while they figured out where else they could send me.   ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version