Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Keeping it Professional

Author Topic: Keeping it Professional  (Read 11310 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Keeping it Professional
« on: May 27, 2003, 12:30 »
I continue to receive complaints about the professional image (and glaring lack there-of) of this site.  Every year, we are pushing to make the site more professional, and eventually perhaps even profitable.  

We have started implementing rules, and discouraging the ‘really’ bad comments.  I also have started to require that people use their real email address in their user profile, and have created password-protected areas, to keep the ‘bad’ stuff away from people that do not want to see it.  We have also separated the jobs from the messages.

What I am now implementing is this: We moved all ‘non-professional’ messages to donor only areas.  People that are willing to ‘support’ the web site would still have their venue.  The average-layman would only see professional messages. It’s a win-win.

There is already a ‘donors only’ section of the site.  You can’t see it if you are not a donor. The messages in the 'Donor Only' area will not show up on the home page’s “Most recent” list.  Instead, we will 'advertise' that there is more to the site in the donor’s area, and that many of the forums have been moved there.

If you have made a purchase from NukeWorker in the past, you are eligible as well.  Simply email me your user name and ask to be added to the "$ Consumer" catagory.

The following topics will be impacted, and have been moved to the ‘Donor Only’ area:  The entire ‘Fun and Games’ Section of the web site.  Which includes: The ‘Break Room’, a general discussion area, ‘Expose Yourself’, where we get to know each other, the ‘Jokes/humor’ section.  Lastly, the ‘Bath Room Wall’ & ‘Politics and Religion’ sections, which are password protected forums for potty mouths and controversial topics, where the users have agreed to a less restrictive set of rules.

We have moved the Break Room to the ‘News and Discussions’ section, so that it continues to be access by everyone, however, it will be heavily moderated, to keep all topics ‘professional’.  People wishing to post ‘less-professional’ messages will be advised to go to the donor’s section.

Offline Phurst

• NRRPT-HPT
  • Very Heavy User
  • One in a row!
Re: Keeping it Professional
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2003, 01:01 »
HMMMMMMM! Makes my brain hurt. I agree there should be a bigger split between the 'nuclear' topic and the breakroom stuff. I hate to put barriers in it but I agree with at least making your endeavor worthwhile. I will support what ever you do. I like being able to debate, laugh, blow off steam, find lost compatriots, meet new ones, hear about other sites and industry events. Look at where most of your posts are to determine why people come and look. Run a poll on why people visit and what they think. Do what you want, it's your site. I appreciate all you have done. I even got this job because it was posted here. Can't beat that!  
Today is the best day of my life! HSIITBS!

'For the quality of owning freezes you forever into "I" and cuts you off forever from the "we". - Steinbeck

Austria

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2003, 01:10 »
Hmmmm...so it could be a bit of the ol' ya gets what ya payz for philosophy, eh?
Personally Mike, I think that's as good a way as any to seperate the 'professional' and 'non-professional' sides of the site.
I wonder though, mayhaps newcomers to the site (and hopefully there will be many more) should be 'warned' of what complete access (and their donation) gets them.  :o

I think you've done a GREAT job bringing this site along in the last couple years that I've been visiting.  :D

Offline Rain Man

• Very Heavy User
  • Constants aren't, variables won't.
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2003, 01:15 »
Mike,  its your site and ultimately responsible for it.  Do as you see fit.
"Giving power and money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenaged boys." -P.J. O'Rourke

"Politics is the skilled use of blunt instruments"  -Lester B. Pearson

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2003, 02:38 »
complainers, complainers, complainers... did any of them call the selective service?  just kidding.... sorta.
one of the best things about this site is the knowledge and opinions that are available quickly.  yep, nuke workers got warts.  nope, they don't get warts from fuel.  next question/topic please.  
how do the demographics shake out as to casual vistiors returning to the site.  do they come back mostly for 1) jobs advertised, 2)technical knowledge available, 3)"will you look at what these guys are saying about ......" 4) all of the above, 5)none of the above, there ain't one answer there worth a pot to .....
perhaps it's time to see if pepsi/coke/budweiser is willing to pay some advertising freight.
jest thoughts at random.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

littlebittime

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2003, 03:05 »
Mike this is an interesting idea... and word put a "cleaner look on the site... and the industry from an outsiders perspective.  (which would make me oh so happy you know that.)  

Downside is exactly what Sloglo hit on... how many come... and more importantly for what reason.  Do you want to risk the traffic for a cleaner overall look.  

definitely something to ponder though... it has promise this plan of yours.

alphadude

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2003, 03:55 »
sow the seed so that the fruit may feed.

go for it mike.. ;D perhaps a thread.. just kidding.. and if u are looking for traffic.. meta tag it correctly and u will have no probs..ive designed web sites with 60,000+ hits just by changing the meta tags.. but u know that.

so do i get to do the karma dance?

TK

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2003, 06:08 »
I say do it, Mike. You'll never have the level of professionalism you envision for this site without some surgery. I personally would love to see more knowledge based posts, and a greater deal of industry respect for the site. I hate to say it, but with the way the site runs now, I will never put my real name anywhere on it. But making the other areas donor only, I'm not so sure of. How about removing the new posts from the home page, and having individuals who wish to access the breakroom etc login and then go? Clicking on nukeworker.com and seeing some of these topics is just not always showing our best side. I deeply appreciate the depth of knowledge and years of experience the folks exhibit here, and understand we're all human as well.  Howsabout we run it like we do at work? Professional on the job, leave your bitching and commentary behind the scenes?

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #8 on: Jun 03, 2003, 01:30 »
do the utilities actually view this site. the utility that currently employs me view this site for entertainment purposes. who is this site for anyway? i thought it was for vendors. i find good study material here, job opportunities and good laughs.  to me this is a cyber breakroom for all road techs to share stories and thoughts. i agree that some proffessionalism is required, but damn man, this break room ball busting stuff is just how roadtechs act. hope you don't find this post offensive mike cause we really enjoy your site but this isn't a bunch of rocket scientists logging on to this site. later                                                 p.s. you still owe me and wormy $5 from a game of pool @ callaway 10 years ago.

Its business as usual, just the location of the less professional material has moved.  Everyone is invited to continue his or her discussions of religion and how many times they have fallen off a bar stool... Just do it in the appropriate place.
We are working to change the sites image for the better, not perpetuate any negative impressions.  In the same breath, we are trying to keep the free flow of ideas and joviality we have always enjoyed here.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #9 on: Jun 05, 2003, 12:27 »
The people I work with, most think of this place like a cyber version of "Animal House."  The jobs and study sections are very good areas on this site.

That is the perception we are trying to change.

Offline darkmatter

• Heavy Metal Poster Child
  • Heavy User
  • you don't know the power of the dark side.
« Reply #10 on: Jun 05, 2003, 06:00 »
Hey,  I liked Animal House. I liked the way it was, but understand the evil that Political Correctness brings.

The darkside will resurface.
"Never underestimate the power of a Dark Klown"

Darkmatters website is no more, nada, gonzo, 
http://darkmatter.nukeworker.net.istemp.com  this will get you there, but I can't update it anymore. Maybe nukeworker will host personal sites eventully

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #11 on: Jun 05, 2003, 07:14 »
Hey,  I liked Animal House. I liked the way it was, but understand the evil that Political Correctness brings.

The darkside will resurface.

The 'animal house portion is in the donor area, it still exhists, but the 'dark side' is now segregated from the ...um... 'not dark side' of the force...

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?