Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Worth it??

Author Topic: Worth it??  (Read 8056 times)

Offline AMU

• Moderate User
Worth it??
« on: Mar 17, 2003, 07:15 »
Is it really worth it to stay in this business for such short outage periods at commercial sites, and DOE positions coming fewer and far between as these sites begin to scale back or release?  Not forgetting to mention, the politics of tech companies and such, seems to be the same old crap as years past.

RT@OPG

Re: Worth it??
« Reply #1 on: Mar 17, 2003, 07:45 »
That's one of the points I think Bob Skelly was trying to make about expanding the market for your services.  At Pickering the spring outage started the first weekend in February and will run until the end of May (16 weeks of work).  Pay is $20/hr with $65/day per diem (US $) which appears comparable to the US sites.  Only one American took the job that I know of so they signed a deal with a European company to supply techs.  Don't give me the bull about taxes up here, there are enough American engineers and trades guys at Pickering A to sink a ship.  They don't seem to mind the taxes whatever they are.  Same thing at Darlington except there a number of American techs failed to show up on the date they were to report.  They'll probably go after the European techs again.

HouseSnake

« Reply #2 on: Mar 18, 2003, 05:20 »
The european techs are coming to the states too

Chelios

« Reply #3 on: Mar 18, 2003, 01:59 »
Do you want fries with that?

Offline AMU

• Moderate User
Re: RT@OPG
« Reply #4 on: Mar 18, 2003, 04:36 »
It is unfortunate that those who committed to those offers of employment did not live up to the expectation.  I can tell you, that does not represent the majority of personalities or character of technicians in the US population base.  Fortunately, there are a great number of high quality technicians working in the US that are worthy of their pay rates and an equal number who are under paid for their efforts.  Unfortunately, the dark side to the good are those technicians who either lack the integrity or character to make good on a commitment, lack professionalism, and are way over paid for their services.  It is this group of technicians that will, and have in the past, continue to cast a poor image on the industry as a whole.  

RT@OPG

« Reply #5 on: Mar 18, 2003, 05:38 »
I asked today and they are still looking for techs starting immediately until the end of May approxiamtely.  If anyone is still interested see the OPG ad in the jobs posting for phone number and email contact.

doctormoo

« Reply #6 on: Mar 18, 2003, 08:00 »
maybe they can get a bunch of french techs to support them

i believe there are more good american techs than bad around
a europian tech wouldnt make a pimple on some of a all americans techs butt

u get what ya pay for
i believe your noshows was more economics than anything else

if ya work for a stateside company and they call you for a job what is your choice

yu dont bite the hand that feeds ya

so go cry to someone who cares certainly no one here does

KidGruesome

« Reply #7 on: Mar 18, 2003, 08:59 »
Do you want fries with that?

French or Liberty?  ;D ;)

LaFeet

« Reply #8 on: Mar 28, 2003, 10:16 »
Outages and DOE sites are not all that is available for you.

I am currently at a D&D site.  And while the pay does not appear as high as the outages, it does provide a longer work term.

And the number of clean up sites is only going to increas over the next few years.

LaFeet

« Reply #9 on: Mar 08, 2006, 12:38 »
Update -   I manage to work myself out of the cushy D&D site.  I am now doing the road techie.  I did not have any commercial experience and decided to put a few feathers in my cap.

The story still holds true for D&D site.  I will most likely be starting at a project that is reported to run for about 20 years...location is secret, but I will post ASAP after I get there.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?