Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Work Shoes honeypot

Author Topic: Work Shoes  (Read 70929 times)

Offline bsdnuke

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
Re: Work Shoes
« Reply #50 on: Nov 17, 2008, 01:29 »
Group,

In case your employer did not advise, OSHA requires the employer to provide PPE for the job.  So if you need a new pair, ask for reimbursement.  Don't be surprised if they tell you that you have to pay.

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=FEDERAL_REGISTER&p_id=20094

bsdnuke

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #51 on: Nov 17, 2008, 01:47 »
Group,

In case your employer did not advise, OSHA requires the employer to provide PPE for the job.  So if you need a new pair, ask for reimbursement.  Don't be surprised if they tell you that you have to pay.

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=FEDERAL_REGISTER&p_id=20094

bsdnuke

from the above link:

(See 29 CFR
1910.132(h)(2); 1915.152(f)(2); 1917.96(a); 1918.106(a); 1926.95(d)(2))
The regulatory text makes clear that employers are not required to pay
for ordinary safety-toe footwear and ordinary prescription safety
eyewear, so long as the employer allows the employee to wear these
items off the job-site.

Since you can wear your safety shoes home, and to your next job, your employer isn't required to pay for them... :(
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline bsdnuke

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #52 on: Nov 17, 2008, 04:23 »
The shoes usually qualify if they look like safety shoes with other guard functions and not like tennis shoes.  the glasses with side shields will also count since they will also protect you from sexually transmitted disease because no one will want to know you with those things on your face.

McBride

« Reply #53 on: Nov 18, 2008, 03:34 »
I have a problem with wide feet; dang near qualify as FLIPPERS!  I found that Hytest Footrests were great.  I got a boot with composite shank and toe.  I have had no trouble spending time on my feet.

Also, Hytest is made in the USA if I am not mistaken.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #54 on: Feb 27, 2009, 12:12 »
Got a pair of Wolverine CarbonMax for current job...lightest pair of safety toes I've ever worn...and top-3 on most comfortable...

I've had these boots for 5 months now & don't like them as well as I used to...my ankles start screaming if I'm on concrete more than 6 or 8 hours...

Found some Converse safety-toe sneakers cheap on eBay.  Sub-average for comfort, but they work for dress-out shoes...
« Last Edit: Mar 25, 2009, 06:46 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #55 on: Apr 04, 2009, 09:09 »
converse desert with composite toe are da bomb.. best work shoe i ever had. zipper side with lace ups -
may be hard to get in someplaces about $120. zappos has them I think.

ive used them all and for support I like these the best.

Just scored a pair of these...like them real well so far...
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
« Reply #56 on: Apr 04, 2009, 09:23 »
Just scored a pair of these...like them real well so far...
I had one pair to split across the ball of the foot (water kept leaking in, imagine that), but Converse replaced them. Perfect shoes for any "comfort creature".
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #57 on: Jun 04, 2009, 10:47 »
Got a pair of Wolverine CarbonMax for current job...lightest pair of safety toes I've ever worn...and top-3 on most comfortable...
Converse composites, made by the tennis shoe company. More comfortable than Doc Martins.

Okay, so I'm rotating a pair of CarbonMax with a pair of Converse composites...each was extremely comfortable for first month or so...now each gives me tired ankles/hips after 8-12 hours on my feet.

Has anyone found a good solution to how quickly shoes lose their bounce?  Insoles?  Supports?  ...?

...or do I just have to buy new boots every couple of months?  I know that's what all the running gurus recommend for running shoes, but...

Offline mohavejoe

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #58 on: Jun 04, 2009, 11:00 »
Okay, so I'm rotating a pair of CarbonMax with a pair of Converse composites...each was extremely comfortable for first month or so...now each gives me tired ankles/hips after 8-12 hours on my feet.

Has anyone found a good solution to how quickly shoes lose their bounce?  Insoles?  Supports?  ...?

...or do I just have to buy new boots every couple of months?  I know that's what all the running gurus recommend for running shoes, but...

Try MTB shoes they are a bit higher than other shoes but well worth it. google search MTB Shoes. Your feet or hips will not hurt know more.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #59 on: Jun 05, 2009, 11:32 »
Try MTB shoes they are a bit higher than other shoes but well worth it. google search MTB Shoes. Your feet or hips will not hurt know more.

I looked at the MBT site...interesting idea...but a couple of questions...

1.  Do they make a safety shoe?  I saw a blurb about putting their sole on an existing safety-toed boot, but couldn't find any pre-made safety shoes on their site.
2.  Am I going to be able to use them at work?  I'm pretty sure our shoe policy calls for a distinct heel...for safe ladder climbing...

I may pick up a pair for outside work & give them a try.  Thanks.

Brayantobbe

« Reply #60 on: Jun 24, 2010, 03:14 »
I have the most amazing shoes I bought through Naturalizer and I can't say enough about them. I've gone through two pairs already within the past few years and have another spare remaining once my second wears out. Not only are they stylish, but they're black and professional.
« Last Edit: Jun 26, 2010, 04:55 by Brayantobbe »

mostlyharmless

« Reply #61 on: Jun 25, 2010, 03:37 »
I have a pair of very ugly but very comfortable Rockports. They are not stylish and only come in black. They are composite toe so they do not set off the metal detectors

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?