Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Work Shoes

Author Topic: Work Shoes  (Read 70902 times)

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
Re: Work Shoes
« Reply #25 on: Nov 30, 2006, 10:42 »
Red Wing shoes with composite toes are all made in outside the U.S.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #26 on: Dec 01, 2006, 11:42 »

sew ya telling me dat eye gotta go steel to git u.s.of a. quality?
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #27 on: Dec 01, 2006, 11:50 »
Actually, Red Wing will probably be shutting down all of its USA manufacturing before long.  But, for now you have to go to steel toe if you want RW's made in this country.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #28 on: Jan 24, 2007, 10:25 »
I'm currently wearing a pair of Irish Setters (made by Red Wing)...they seem well-made, but aren't particularly comfortable.

Rotating them with a pair of LaCrosse 'Wildfires' and a pair of LaCrosse steel-toed Sno-Pacs...both of these are in the 'barely-acceptable' category, even with gel insoles added.

I need to quit getting boots off the clearance rack and go back to Danners...  :/
« Last Edit: Jan 24, 2007, 10:26 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Valkrider

« Reply #29 on: Jan 24, 2007, 11:20 »

This isn't really accurate.  I just bought a pair of composite toe RW safety shoes (Model 06680-0) and the box says "Made in the USA with Imported Materials".

http://www.redwingshoe.com/productdetails.aspx?prodid=1467

Hope this clarification helps someone but I doubt it.
« Last Edit: Jan 24, 2007, 11:26 by Valkrider »

nukewood

« Reply #30 on: Jan 24, 2007, 06:29 »
My Doc Martin's were the most comfortable work boot ever but can't find them here in Oregon.
« Last Edit: Jan 24, 2007, 06:30 by nukewood »

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
« Reply #31 on: Jan 24, 2007, 06:41 »
Converse composites, made by the tennis shoe company. More comfortable than Doc Martins.
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

Pochron

« Reply #32 on: Jan 26, 2007, 03:04 »
Follow this link, or copy paste into address bar. Should be a good selection with some specials.
http://www.lapolicegear.com
Ron

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #33 on: Jan 26, 2007, 08:06 »
Just give me some Adidas Superstars...
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #34 on: Nov 17, 2007, 01:07 »
Danner makes a safety-toe boot (the 'Striker') specifically for passing metal detectors...no metal anywhere, plus a plastic zipper on the side for easy removal if security (ie...airport) still makes you take them off.  I use them for all commercial nuclear work.  (They cost around $200 at the Danner outlet in Portland.)

The soles of these boots have started to crack...and I've only got about 3 months of actual wear-time out of them, so...not as huge of a Danner fan as I used to be...
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline JessJen

• Heavy User
« Reply #35 on: Nov 17, 2007, 01:21 »
I'm currently wearing a pair of Irish Setters (made by Red Wing)...they seem well-made, but aren't particularly comfortable.

You may just want to get refit.  My boots didnt make it in the move to IF so I picked up a pair of clearance boots here from the local RW store.  They didnt have my usual width but the size they had fit well enough so I gave it a shot and was miserable.  RWs have to be fitted right or else not worth the money, definitely go to an experienced shop who will measure your feet and go accordingly. 

Offline xobxdoc

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #36 on: Nov 17, 2007, 08:13 »
The Wolverine Durashock with composite toe is very comfortable with very little break in time. It will not set off metal detectors. Costs about $125 on line.

B.PRESGROVE

« Reply #37 on: Nov 17, 2007, 09:22 »
Alright Ive got to interject here.  When I worked for Searl Pharmacutical they got us a 2 pair of Nautilus safety shoes.  I got the sneaker style and I have got to admit my feet felt like they were walking on air.  I still have them and this is coming up on 10 years now since I got them.  They last and still to this day they are the most comfortable safety shoe I have ever owned.  My next favorite are Iron Age.

Offline volfireman07

• Light User
« Reply #38 on: Nov 19, 2007, 08:19 »
I love my Doc Martins.  I'm on my second pair.  I also have some Chippewas that are nice.

Try www.bootbay.com for a good selection.

By the way, OSHA passed a final rule requiring employers to pay for PPE (effective 02-13-08).  Unfortunately it excludes safety shoes unless the employer prohibits the employee from wearing them off-site.
« Last Edit: Nov 19, 2007, 08:19 by volfireman07 »

alphadude

« Reply #39 on: Nov 19, 2007, 12:31 »
converse desert with composite toe are da bomb.. best work shoe i ever had. zipper side with lace ups -
may be hard to get in someplaces about $120. zappos has them I think.

ive used them all and for support I like these the best.

Evilpixie

« Reply #40 on: Nov 19, 2007, 06:57 »
I love my Doc Martens!  My first pair is about 15 years old and they still are going strong... I wear Docs as part of normal apparel, so I kinda have alot of them.  (not wanting to push a stereotype, I'm female... and I got the shoe gene- 'Nuff said)  None of them have reinforced toes, we're not required to have that here unless we are wearing something that someone could look at and think is a sneaker.  To that end, I have some Skecher sneaks with steel toes and they are so comfortable!  And being a metallic leather, they make a statement, too (very important to shoe girls)(And rather George Jetson does the nuke plant, too!). 

Additionally, Unca Buff- I got them on sale!  Normally $100, I paid only $20 for them.  I guess it depends on where you go to find the sale shoes.  Cheap shoe stores have cheap shoes, pretty much.  You're coming to SLO, it's a shoe mecca, verifitably!  Maybe you'll find something once you're out here?

Evilpixie

« Reply #41 on: Nov 20, 2007, 01:51 »
Oh, oh, getting Doc's around here is the best!  There is a shoe outlet down in Pismo and they have Doc's there... I got my pointy toed ones for something like $3!  (serious!) and my doc marten hooker boots for about $20 (they have an almost platform heel and lace up to my knees.  I wore them one year as my halloween costume- I dressed up like Joe Lykes!)

Another good place to find safety shoes for a good price... if you know the size you wear, look up the brand you like on e-Bay.  Serious shoe mecca there! 

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #42 on: Nov 20, 2007, 04:03 »
converse desert with composite toe are da bomb.. best work shoe i ever had. zipper side with lace ups -
may be hard to get in someplaces about $120. zappos has them I think.

ive used them all and for support I like these the best.
Go to converse.com and order, they are about 85 dollars I think.

B.PRESGROVE

« Reply #43 on: Nov 20, 2007, 07:47 »
Ok,  ??? Im starting to feel a little wierd on this blog.  All this talk about shoes and shopping for them and clearance racks, and.....well you know.........those genes are suppose to be suppresed in me.  I am 38 years old, 285 pounds of nuclear powered beastage, and am all man, but.......theres that feeling again......must resist urge to........shop........shoes.. .........turning into wife...........NNNNNNNNOOOOOO OOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline JessJen

• Heavy User
« Reply #44 on: Nov 21, 2007, 01:17 »
Ok,  ??? Im starting to feel a little wierd on this blog.  All this talk about shoes and shopping for them and clearance racks, and.....well you know.........those genes are suppose to be suppresed in me.  I am 38 years old, 285 pounds of nuclear powered beastage, and am all man, but.......theres that feeling again......must resist urge to........shop........shoes.. .........turning into wife...........NNNNNNNNOOOOOO OOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Give into the urge....YOU MUST SHOP!......no shame in it LOL

slattmandu

« Reply #45 on: Nov 21, 2007, 03:49 »
I also have to vote for the Converse composite toes. I've had high top boots and low top almost tennis shoe model. Little to no break in and comfortable!

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #46 on: Nov 15, 2008, 02:02 »
Got a pair of Wolverine CarbonMax for current job...lightest pair of safety toes I've ever worn...and top-3 on most comfortable...

Offline TENN-1

• Moderate User
  • Finished the 5 year plan in only 34!
« Reply #47 on: Nov 15, 2008, 02:39 »
I'm using Wolverine Durashock with a composite toe. The price was right (company supplied) and they are very warm and dry but the comfort can be a bit off on a twelve hour day. A good insole helped tremendously. 
Things come to those who wait, but usually it's stuff left over from those who hustle!

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #48 on: Nov 15, 2008, 09:23 »
Converse composite toe boots - light, don't bother the metal detectors, and I can wear them riding my M/C in to work.
Stock # C4444
About 30+ of us wear them at VY...they were new item on the shoe truck last time through. All have good things to say about them.
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #49 on: Nov 16, 2008, 10:19 »
a year ago i found a deal on catepillar (same brand as the track vehicles) at sears.  they are a low cut semi sneaker model.  i have no complaints on this shoe after more than a year of 40 hours/week.  i recommend them.
aye yam still waring this pear of shoes.  still comfourtible after alla des years.  eye did give them a brake last winter.  i hadda work outside frum fall thru spring, so i went wit some new durashock for da dry cold days, 'n got out da yellow cement workers overboots on da catepillars when it wuz wet.  butt these hard toe sneaks kick butt. 
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?