Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu What are the chances of getting in with DUKE (and would I want to?)

Author Topic: What are the chances of getting in with DUKE (and would I want to?)  (Read 50048 times)

Fermi2

Surry is almost too far north, although when I decided to go looking for a job it was high on my list. Now that I've lived in the South I really don't want to leave.

Mike

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
What put it high on your list? I drove out to it this last weekend took about an hour and 5-ish from my house.  Would be a long comute but is do-able.   

Rob
Being adept at being adaptable I look forward to every new challenge!

sec81584

Hey there,

I'm currently a neo for duke at oconee-  As far as hiring goes for the next upcoming class: the anticipated date for starting a new class is in january. Of course, this will probably be delayed.  I'd expect to see information on their career page show up pretty quickly.  I'm actually surprised it's not already up there. They tend to hire all through the year and then gather everyone up and send them to bot training or bypass exam.

Once you either pass the bypass or bot (depending on where they put you) you will have systems training, fire brigade, lots and lots of fun stuff and eventually make it to shift. 

sec

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
Any pointer for getting in?  Do they do instant there or is it a progression from neo(same as Nlo?).

And Thanks for the info.

Rob

sec81584

Your options look pretty good as far as getting in. They're hiring lots (much like the rest of the industry) to make up for the large percentage of the workforce that is leaving.

As far as once you get in you would either be qualified as a bypass or a bot (basic operator training) student.  The bot kids go up to McGuire for training for 15 weeks, then come back for systems, other various things, yada yada. Bypass (which it seems you would qualify for) would come in, study for a bypass exam, take it, and if they pass they go on to systems and so on.

Once you get in you are considered a neo/nlo depending on the site (same thing) and then have to go through your quals before you become eligable for hlp/licensing class.  Duke does have instants, most of them are persons with engineering degrees and have shown excessive interest and capability to handle learning both the ro and sro positions at once.  In otherwords, expect to work your buns off. Hlp lasts a little over a year. 

The shortest amount of time you can really go from neo to sro is about 3-4 years give or take.  Depending on the site, how fast you can do your quals, etc. depends on your place in line to get into a class.  Of course there's more details associated with it but many of them are site specific, but this gives you a basic idea of what you'd be up against.

sec

scrub

Just heard today Mcguire is looking to hire 12-14 in November.

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
That is good info, thank you. Do you know if that means they will want to have guys that start in Nov or is that when they plan to start hiring?  I would havev to pull strings to be retired in Feb (so I could start in Nov), can be done but.... Hopefully they are starting the process in Nov, which if they are would put me in class when???

Thanks again scrub,

Rob

I will Pm you with a couple questions.

Offline trollarc

• Light User
I know this is an old thread. However, I have searched and this topiic is closest to what I want to learn.
I applied for a job with duke at Catawbe. They are flying me out on the 12 to test and interview on the 13th (december 2010).
I would like to learn:
1. How the shifts run? 12s? 8s?
2. How difficult it is to get along with fellow ops people and management there?
3. I heard that that type of work would utilize alot of my time, and I do not want to fall behind on my physical fitness. I am worried that working there will force me off track due to fatigue, are there ways to help mitigate that?
4. What is the (guestimate) pay there? I am worried about this one as I am currently making about $32 a hour working for a D.O.E. contractor and the last post I saw said something like $22 a hour (even after a raise for fininshing quals this is not competitive with my current salary).
5. Id like to get pros/cons from someone currently working there.
6. Where do people who work there usually eat lunch? Do they bring their own or is there a cafeteria or what? THis question is out of curiosity.
7. If anybody has additional information that can aide me, please feel free to divulge.
Thank you for your help
James Fuller

Offline STGN

• Light User
1)  The shifts are 12 hours, typically 6 to 6. 
2)  As with any place, there are different personalities.  That said, the people are in general easy to get along with.  This is the south and people do tend to have good manners.  Some managers are more approachable than others, but all I have dealt with will listen to what you have to say, particularly if you present your concern in the right way (don't come off as whiney or trying to cause problems). 
3)  The work can take up time.  Working a rotating shift does make it difficult to have a set schedule to go to the gym.  However there are some very fit people who work at Duke and work out regularly.  It's doable, but if you're training for the Ironman, it would be tough.  The rotating 12 hour shift makes for long work days, but also affords quite a bit of time off.  Every five weeks or so you get 7 days in a row off, and taking 3 days of vacation gives you two weeks. 
4)  I'm guessing starting NEO pay is 20ish.  Topped out is probably closer to $30/hr.  Keep in mind you have built in shift overtime (4 12 hour days in a week at times) plus outages.  Starting out, I'd guess you'd make roughly $50,000 at least your first year, and it goes up from there.  I'm deliberately lowballing my estimate, because you'd likely spend the first 6 months with Duke in training, BOT and ISS, before going to shift, so very little overtime the first 6 months.  At that point, you'd start qualifying to watch stations.
5)  I work at a Duke plant, and it's not bad.  It's like any job, you get out of it what you put into it.  For the money, I've worked harder at other places.  The people are nice, and so is the area.  All are around lakes so it can get expensive for housing.  Plus the Charlotte area is a pretty large metropolitan city.
6)  There is a cafeteria at each plant, but depending on the shift and hours, it may or may not be open.  Each control room at my plant, and the NEO "kitchen" have refridgerators, stoves, etc to prepare meals at. 
7)  If you have a specific question, feel free to send me a message or ask it here and Ill try to answer it.

I know this is an old thread. However, I have searched and this topiic is closest to what I want to learn.
I applied for a job with duke at Catawbe. They are flying me out on the 12 to test and interview on the 13th (december 2010).
I would like to learn:
1. How the shifts run? 12s? 8s?
2. How difficult it is to get along with fellow ops people and management there?
3. I heard that that type of work would utilize alot of my time, and I do not want to fall behind on my physical fitness. I am worried that working there will force me off track due to fatigue, are there ways to help mitigate that?
4. What is the (guestimate) pay there? I am worried about this one as I am currently making about $32 a hour working for a D.O.E. contractor and the last post I saw said something like $22 a hour (even after a raise for fininshing quals this is not competitive with my current salary).
5. Id like to get pros/cons from someone currently working there.
6. Where do people who work there usually eat lunch? Do they bring their own or is there a cafeteria or what? THis question is out of curiosity.
7. If anybody has additional information that can aide me, please feel free to divulge.
Thank you for your help
James Fuller

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?