Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Another Newbie

Author Topic: Another Newbie  (Read 5927 times)

mzricarda

Another Newbie
« on: Jul 19, 2006, 01:21 »
Hello Everyone,

I am VERY new to the nuclear business. My sister and her husband have talked to me about getting into this business for over a year and I decided to look into it.

My problem is I didn't want to be one of the ones you've mentioned who was just thrown in somewhere with no experience or knowledge just to fill a spot. But the entry level (no experience) jobs are far and in between. I have a possible entry level job at the South Texas plant and just wanted any advice or knowledge or support anyone can bestow on me.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: Jul 20, 2006, 10:54 by Roll Tide »

Fermi2

Re: ANOTHER NEWBIE
« Reply #1 on: Jul 19, 2006, 02:17 »
One of the hallmarks of even an average nuke, regardless of pedigree, is the ability to independently research information especially when it's collected all in one place.

Might I suggest reading the various posts here rather than have others regurgitate what is already there?

And PLEASE when you make a topic don't do it in all caps. It's impolite.

Mike

vikingfan

« Reply #2 on: Jul 19, 2006, 02:17 »
welcome to the nuclear family ! I would look at the "my first outage" thread on here, and look at some of the advice from there. also what kind of entry position are you taking?? mechanic? firewatch? decon? ect,ect that will help the other members in giving you some healthy advice on what to expect !

mzricarda

Re: another newbie
« Reply #3 on: Jul 19, 2006, 02:53 »
Didn't mean to be impolite.

I thought I looked around enough but obviously not. The job is deconn. Thank you guys for the thread I was looking for.

allforthenukie

« Reply #4 on: Jul 20, 2006, 09:56 »
Congratulations on your first nuke job! Everyone starts somewhere. Pay attention to the training and do the best job you can to do the work they way they expect you to do it. Show up about 15 minutes early so you're ready to go at the beginning of your shift. Try to get along with the other nukeworkers. Get involved with the work and learn as much nuke as you can. Get to know people in the other trades you might be interested in, they might be able to hook you up or point you in the right direction of a rewarding career path. Once you have your first outage on your resume, finding your next job will be a little easier. Nuke ain't for everyone though, hope you like it!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?