Career Path > NRC

nrc vs. power industry

(1/3) > >>

zeusnuce:
Hi,

NRC is hiring big time and the pay is good. They estimate that after 4 years in NRC, you can make around 100k . Combine this with a 40-hour work week and other government benefits, everything looks very sweet.

Now, I am very close to graduating and I have no power plant experience like you guys. I want to see why would working in a nuclear power plant be better than at NRC looking at it from several perspectives. Any input you guys have would greatly be appreciated. I think I want to work in a power plant, and I just want to gain some confidence :)

Some relevant questions to consider include:

1. How long  do you estimate to have to work in a power plant to reach 100k, and how far can you go in salary assuming you will only go as high as an SRO?

2. How many hours do SROs usually put in during a week and is the work high-pressure or just enough to be challenging?

3. If you have both NRC and power plant experience, please explain which workplace is better in your opinion.

Any other reasons why work in a power plant would be better is also welcomed. Also, I am located in Region III, Midwest, in case that information becomes relevant.

Thanks a lot

Fermi2:
First,

Do you HONESTLY believe the NRC works a 40 hour work week?

I have an excellent bridge located in or near NYC I'd be interested in selling you.

Mike

Roll Tide:
One of the advantages of working for the NRC is that there is a variety of jobs. You can transfer from "Resident" at a commercial plant to "Examiner" giving license exams.

Service with the NRC would also make you very marketable to later commercial power (utility or contractor) employment.

There are limits on where you can work as a Resident if you have previously been commercial for a few years (and probably the other way as well).

The NRC is paying near 100K after about 4 years because they need to be competitive with the industry. If you never go above SRO, you can still make $100K+. If you work a site that pays for work over 40 hours as an SRO, you can make much more.

Nuclear is a demanding field, and there aren't that many 40 hour week jobs in the field.

zeusnuce:

--- Quote from: Broadzilla on Jul 21, 2006, 07:28 ---First,

Do you HONESTLY believe the NRC works a 40 hour work week?

I have an excellent bridge located in or near NYC I'd be interested in selling you.

Mike

--- End quote ---

An NRC representative came to my school to talk to students. There he said the work day is usually 8 hours and is flexible. I believed him cause I have no other information on this. Have you heard differently?....I guess all this may depend on where and what you do...

Fermi2:
Virtually everyone in this industry has had contact with the NRC. It's sort of something that happens when you're a regulatee and they're a regulator.

As a Shift Manager I have probably more day to day contact with the NRC than any person on site. Trust me, NO ONE in that organization is working 40 hour weeks. It's a NOMINAL 8 hour day. NOMINAL means 8 is most likely the minimum.

Put it this way, in the last 16 years I'd estimate I've met 150 NERCs, maybe more and none of them were working 40 hour weeks. Hardly anyone in this industry does.

Mike

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version