Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu During school, can you bring a boat? honeypot

Author Topic: During school, can you bring a boat?  (Read 6317 times)

polojoe12

During school, can you bring a boat?
« on: Jul 21, 2006, 10:34 »
Hello, I know it's a silly question, but fishing is a huge stress reliever for me. I've read weekends are off, so does that mean you can do whatever you want withen reason? Maybe if I put it into storage off base?

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
Re: During school, can you bring a boat?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 21, 2006, 10:46 »
During Power School and Prototype, a boat would be fun (although perhaps infrequent fun). "Short Stay" (operated by Navy MWR) is a great place to put your boat in the lake in upper Berkeley County, SC. But there are plenty of others.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

taterhead

« Reply #2 on: Jul 21, 2006, 01:41 »
Hello, I know it's a silly question, but fishing is a huge stress reliever for me. I've read weekends are off, so does that mean you can do whatever you want withen reason? Maybe if I put it into storage off base?

The concensus here is correct, there will be time to fish on the weekends, and if you are good, even short trips during the week (after school).

The deal is that your grades determine your amount of free time.  Keep  'em up and put in voluntary hours (EVERYONE puts in some hours) during the week, and your weekends can be mostly yours.

I fished a good bit in Orlando.  Big bass down there 8)

Lots of good fishing and crabbing in Charleston, as someone said before. 

visserjr

« Reply #3 on: Jul 21, 2006, 09:38 »
being the idiot here, I avged 55 hours/week during power school in the early 90's. That said I agree great bass in orlando. No matter how hard you work, use your free time for fun, don't sleep all weekend like my roommate.

bordway

« Reply #4 on: Jul 22, 2006, 04:05 »
Hey,
There aren't really any boats in the parking lot.  If you go into base housing (if you're married or something) you see more boats and I believe you can keep them in the drive way.  I don't think they allow them to be stored in the NNPTC parking lots.  However, I'm pretty sure you could leave it in storage somewhere near base and that shouldn't be a problem. 

You are most likely ALWAYS going to have homework depending on the instructor.  A school and Power School have a pretty comprable amounts of homework and studying required.  There is plenty of free time though.  Usually if you have a 3.4 or above you're on no hours (Vols) where you can get homework done and get out for the day.  Days of tests you're going to have less homework bc your class period for one subject that day was a test.  So if you plan ahead you can get other homework done during study halls and have the rest of the day free but otherwise I always try to keep Saturdays for myself. 

So yeah you'll have plenty of time and there are tons of people here that will go out with you too if you like a fishing buddy...  I'm in classroom P-111 if you need...  just kidding.  Later

dav8

« Reply #5 on: Jul 22, 2006, 07:03 »
Of course you can bring a boat.  The only thing to keep in mind is that when you first check into A school, your hours offsite will be limited by the Navy.  Your ID badge color will determine when you can be away from site, and that is based on how long you have been there.  The longer in the program, the more liberty you get, as long as you don't screw up.  What you do in your allowed liberty time is up to you.  Don't ever forget this: you are not in prison.  You can do whatever you want to, as long as it's not against the law.  Live your life as if you were back at home before the Navy.  It will help you maintain a clear head.  You can store the boat anywhere as long as you can afford it.  Hope this helps 

TacomaTRD

« Reply #6 on: Jul 26, 2006, 06:33 »
Actually right now there is a sailboat and some other smallish boat in the parking lot here.  Im not sure on the exact rules.  I have a kayak and that stays on the truck.  Anyway you may have a good bit of spare time you may not, it all depends on your grades.  Unless you are doing horribly you should have most of the weekends to yourself.  There is a place to put your boat in less than a mile down the road so thats fairly convenient.  If you have anymore questions just let me know.

KAMFRO

« Reply #7 on: Sep 03, 2006, 10:25 »
Yeah a guy in my class had a john boat he kept in the bed of his truck...

The badge color...when i reported to Chas they only had the blue badges..and your civilian clothes chit was a sticker on the back of your meal pass...so we would always go off base in civies and when the roving watch questioned us the asnwer was "I dont have my meal pass...I dont need it off base so I dont carry it off base".....When i got there, there was only like maybe 300 on the whole base...After i started NPS they went to a yellow badge for newly reported and no civies allowed..then green for civies only on the weekends i think...and Blue for civies anytime not in class during work hours...And then the red stripers for TPU...When I first got there, the only place people congregated was the smoke pit right across from trident hall...It was the all female barracks...it was a pretty desolate place..

And all you NUBs...dont get caught walking across Rickover Circle....

Fermi2

« Reply #8 on: Sep 03, 2006, 11:22 »
KAMFRO can you break that down a little further for those of us who came through in a different era?

When I was in MM A School at Great Lakes we got our Civilian Clothes chit (after requesting it) somewhere around the end of week three. We had different colors on our meal pass which designated our duty section.

We graduated A School and got our Crow. For the MMs we left Glakes that very day. When we got to Orlando we could wear civvies whenever we wanted, if I recall correctly we could even study in civvies. On duty days we could leave base provided we showed up in time for either roving watch or to sign the Mando Commandos in. If we had a better than 3.9 average we didn't have to stand duty.

So after A School we didn't have color coded meal passes or have to get permission to wear civilian clothes.

Mike

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?