Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu NANTeL Courses and Exams honeypot

Author Topic: NANTeL Courses and Exams  (Read 205371 times)

Offline RP Instructor

• Moderate User
  • Those who "can", "do", and go on to teach others.
NANTeL Courses and Exams
« on: Aug 01, 2006, 03:59 »
I was surprised not to have read anything regarding the subject/topic of the "National Academy for Nuclear Training Electronic Learning (NANTeL)" initiative that has begun in the industry. (https://www.nantel.org)
NANTeL -- National Academy for Nuclear Training e-Learning -- is a national Web-based system that provides standardized, generic training for the supplemental workforce. Training topics will initially include plant access, radiation worker, and human performance tools. INPO and the National Academy for Nuclear Training manage and operate the system for the U.S. nuclear industry.

We've begun using the NANTeL system here at Summer (as of 08/01/06), and will be requiring all contract personnel who do not have current PAT/RWT/FFD dates in PADS to complete this computer-based training. The passing grade for the NANTeL CBT course is >= 80, and (obviously) this is required training for a security badge.
The NANTeL PAT/RWT/FFD training will eventually be required for utility employees as well, beginning in 2007.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 07:29 by SST »

vikingfan

NANTeL
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2007, 01:17 »
 Anyone know the specifics of this ? my understanding and i may be wrong is that it is a training tracking database of some sort so you can reduce your training requirements at plant sites. i understand that excelon and entergy are involved with it right now, not sure if any other utilities will be joining the parlay. guess from what i heard is that way you don't have to keep taking the same training at every site...........
« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2007, 01:47 by Rennhack »

LaFeet

How does one get into the student section... or rather, who do I contact?

Will this be available to all personnel????

Do they plan on installing NUUF type courses?

Chimera

I ran into the NANTel courses for the first time (that I'm aware of) at Comanche Peak this past winter.  They didn't seem significantly different from the previous courses.  I still had to complete the site specific portions of the entrance training.  I'm pleased to see an increased effort to standardize the common training across the industry.

Offline spentfuel

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
You get to the student section by being given a username and password by the site you take it at.  Not sure if perhaps contract companies them selves would be able to log into it or administer the tests.

I have taken this at a duke plant and her is my take for what its worth.

There is a bank of "Generic" lessons/tests and then another bank of "Site Specific" lessons/tests.  The generic are the Nantel banks and the Site specific is the additional information the utility itself requires.  Don't think the Site specific has anything to do with Nantel but could be wrong.

The subjects are FFD, Plant access, and RWT.  Failure of any module is not allowed.  There were on-line study guides but the volume of material was ridiculous and the questions were similar enough to the previous tests that it did not matter anyway.

I think the intent is as implied, To give you a card good for a year so you can go to any plant and be ready to go as long as its not expired.  But unless the Utilities actually adopt that idea and drop all the site specific crud then at best it gets you out of taking half the tests.

sf
« Last Edit: Apr 15, 2008, 01:08 by spentfuel »

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
Most (not all) NANTeL training is good for one year... some is good for 2 years (I think.)

It is all generic. Anything site specific is controlled by the utility. Failure is, indeed, allowed... but after one re-test it takes more than just the proctor to allow additional retakes. Anyone with a little experience should have no trouble unless you have test paralysis. There tests are not timed. Instructors have to be specifically trained and qualified to be NANTel proctors.

The site-specific 'crud' is probably more important to doing your job than the generic and will not go away. The whole purpose of NANTel was to relieve the burden of taking the generic tests every time you go to a new plant, so yes, you get out of some of the tests, but there is not and never will be a 'one-size-fits-all' training allowing someone to walk into a plant ready to go to work. Unless there is a national nuclear utility and the plant designs are standardized, there is no way to do that.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline spentfuel

• Moderate User
RDTroja thanks for the additional info.

Sounds as if even the nantel parts are handled different dependant upon the utility.

Should have pointed out my comment applies to an already badged utility employee not to a contractor coming into a plant.

At least at duke you are required to take the tests in the following sequence,  FFD/Generic plant access, then Site specific plant access then either of the RWT modules.  Failure of any module requires immediate notification of management and security at which time your badge is placed on hold.  Yes you can retest but I don't know how many times or how long you have to wait.

All modules were self proctured and no time limit applied. 

I agree plant specific things are also the things that help you the most in an unfamiliar plant, but would add, at least for duke the site specific modules are overloaded with less than valueable info.  I'm sure that will change over time but thats to be seen.

This is used only (again at duke) for requal,  in other words if you go beyond the expiration date you have to go through the three day initial RWT again.

thanks

sf

Offline RP Instructor

• Moderate User
Those of us that have been in nuclear power since the 1980's (or earlier) recall it as being the "Northeast Utilities Exam", which was administered by Northeast Utilities (previous owners of Millstone Nuclear Station) to contract HP technicians, to assess the technicians' knowledge of basic health physics.
When Northeast Utilities went defunct, the control and security of the examination bank became questionable. INPO (specifically, the National Academy for Nuclear Training) eventually assumed control of the examination bank, and the NUE (Northeast Utilities Exam) has been re-born as the NANTeL RP Fundamentals Exam. The NANTeL website (https:\\www.nantel.org) has both the courses to prepare for the exam, and the exam itself. One has to be registered as a student on NANTeL, and then be proctored for the examination.
Here at VC Summer, we've replaced administering our own in-house HP Fundamentals Exam with the NANTeL RP Fundamentals Exam.
From what I've been told, the NANTeL RP Fundamentals Exam, and/or NRRPT certification, is the direction the industry is taking as a whole, to assess and validate the technical knowledge of their contract HP personnel. I would encourage anyone who has neither NRRPT certification, or has not taken the NANTeL RP Fundamentals Exam, to begin studying in preparation for either exam. It's what will be expected in the near future.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 09:39 by SST »

Offline RP Instructor

• Moderate User
As an Administrator for the NANTeL website, I can create a student ID, and assign the course, to those who are interested in studying for (and taking) the NANTeL RP Fundamentals Exam. One would be required to have a NANTeL proctor (at their current site location) administer the exam.
If you're interested, e-mail me privately, and I'll set you up a student  account in NANTeL, and assign you the RP Fundamentals course and exam.
If you already have a NANTeL student account, and wish to have the course assigned to you, let me know that too by private e-mail.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Re: NANTeL Courses and Exams
« Reply #9 on: Jun 28, 2010, 10:05 »
If you have a student account setup already, but can't remember what your login name is, it is typically the first 3 letters of your last name, your six digit birthdate, and the letter "a". Then use whatever password you remember changing your password to.

Example: renMMDDYYa

Currently, your user name for NANTeL is your Last name, followed by your first and middle initials, then your two digit month and day of birth.

Example: RennhackMD0214
« Last Edit: Mar 14, 2013, 08:51 by Rennhack »

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: Jun 29, 2010, 10:33 »
How does this test differ from NRRPT? And it sounds like you could get rid of the DOE core test and replace it with NANTEL. Fundamentals are the same everywhere. You could then emphasise site specifics.

Apples and Watermelons.

NANTeL is run by INPO. NRRPT is a private organization, not associated at all with INPO. The vast majority of NANTeL is for site access and Radworker Training (i.e. qualify for TLD.) The NUF portion is used by a small minority of the user population. Although NRRPT will usually get you a Free Pass on the NUF exam, not even that is universal. Some plants require the NUF even if you have NRRPT (been there, done that.) I seriously doubt NRRPT will ever let another organization get that heavily involved in their process (they would be crazy to loosen their controls.)

In addition to all that, comparing the NUF to the NRRPT brings to mind Broadzilla's 'Navy Sub as Start-up Source' analogy.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #11 on: Jun 29, 2010, 11:36 »
How does this test differ from NRRPT? And it sounds like you could get rid of the DOE core test and replace it with NANTEL. Fundamentals are the same everywhere. You could then emphasise site specifics.

NANTeL (National Academy for Nuclear Training e-Learning) isn't a test.  Thats how it Differs.  NANTeL is a national (US) Web-based system that provides standardized, generic training for the supplemental workforce at nuclear power plants. It also includes some site specific training.  Training topics include plant access, radiation worker, and human performance tools. INPO and the National Academy for Nuclear Training manage and operate the system for the U.S. nuclear power industry.

It is unlikely, but within the realm of posibility, that INPO and the National Academy for Nuclear Training would be interested in helping the DOE.  If they did, they would ADD the DOE material (Rad Worker I, Rad Worker II, RCT Part 1 (Core), RCT Part 2 (Site Specific) to their training system.  They would not substitute one for the other.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: Jun 29, 2010, 02:51 »
Previous post referenced the nantel rp fundamental exam. I am not familiar with this. I am familiar with nuc, nrrpt and doe core. Who is associated with who is irrelevant to my point: the need for a minimum rp standard acceptable at all nuke sites and revalidated on a routine basis. The sites could then spend more time on site specifics.But it wouldnt really save you or the plant much time, just one test.And were would you take it and how would you insure it was on the up and up?
INPO is beginning to have a presence in the doe world.
Sometimes its like quest for fire. You go out looking for flame and you discover an advanced tribe and a whole new world.
Whats the start up analogy?

Welcome to civilization!  ;)

Many moons ago, when reactors were made of wood and half-lives were measured with sundials there were no standardized tests... in fact in some plants there were no tests at all. After a while, most of the utilities (and even some plants within the same utility) began developing their own tests to validate contract HPs' resumes... largely due to the fact that a great deal of them were more fiction than fact... and there was chaos in the world. Some plants' tests were easy and some were ridiculously hard. Some tested theory and some practical knowledge. Sometimes you could even get different answers to the same questions depending on what plant you went to.  One day a now-defunct (merged into a larger group) utility known as Northeast Utilities developed a test that seemed to be reasonably good and (at least at first) had some reasonable security behind it... and many of the other utilities began accepting the test as valid, thus relieving them of the burden of developing their own. Naturally the burden had to go somewhere, and it went to Northeast Utilities who eventually got tired of carrying the load for everyone else and abandoned the test. INPO liked the idea of a standardized test (not surprising if you know anything about INPO) and they 'took up the mantle' so to speak and the test transmuted form the Northeast Utilities Test to the Nuclear Fundamentals Test (NUF). And all was right with the world... well, maybe not.

According to the NRRPT web site, "The NRRPT was started in 1976 through the sponsorship of the Health Physics Society and the American Board of Health Physics." If you want details I recommend you go there. http://www.nrrpt.org/index.cfm/m/2/lt/About%20the%20NRRPT/ From personal experience I can tell you that the NRRPT is an order of magnitude harder than the NUF. I took it in 1991 and 17 of the 18 people in the group that I took it with failed. I am not sure if it is the same, harder or easier now, but it was not easy then. The one and only time I took the NUF exam (the plant I went to did not recognize the NRRPT as a substitute) I did it with no warning and had no problem. If you can pass the NRRPT, the NUF is nothing... the same cannot be said in reverse.

The startup analogy (since you asked) is here: http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,17939.msg101873.html#msg101873 and here: http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,965.msg113988.html#msg113988 among other places.
« Last Edit: Aug 10, 2010, 10:22 by RDTroja »

-Marty Feldman

-Ronald Reagan

- Voltaire

carlostevez

« Reply #13 on: Jul 04, 2010, 09:09 »
One has to be registered as a student on NANTeL, and then be proctored for the examination.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: Jul 06, 2010, 02:05 »
I just did a search on BING for NANTeL Training and the first hit was this thread.

-Marty Feldman

-Ronald Reagan

- Voltaire

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #15 on: Jul 06, 2010, 10:38 »
I just did a search on BING for NANTeL Training and the first hit was this thread.

It's #1 on google too.

Offline ICP Rad Training

• Very Lite User
« Reply #16 on: Aug 10, 2010, 10:04 »
Currently, most DOE facilities accept each others RadWorker and RCT CORE.  Once at a Site, the CORE basics are verified, granted and then a Delta of facility specifics is given and the Rad Training is complete.  (Basically the same ideology as the NANTel.)  NRRPT is also accepted by DOE for the RCT CORE and I believe all DOE facilities accept it.  So basically we have that system within the DOE world already for both RW & RCT, although a centralized data sharing system is not available for verification of current qualifications, which would be beneficial.

p.s. ... I have tried accessing the link provided but it does not work for me?
« Last Edit: Aug 10, 2010, 10:09 by ICP Rad Training »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #17 on: Jan 07, 2012, 04:18 »
p.s. ... I have tried accessing the link provided but it does not work for me?

It loads slow.  You have a wait a long while for it to load.  You will get a blank white screen while it loads.

j0rdanc14

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2012, 04:06 »
Where can I take these exams without being employed

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2012, 11:17 »
Where can I take these exams without being employed

You can't.

Offline RP Instructor

• Moderate User
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2012, 01:37 »
Just as a courtesy to my peers, I am no longer a NANTeL Administrator, and thus cannot set-up an account for you. My apologies. As Mike pointed out, you will need to be employed, either directly or as a contractor, by the utility in order to access the study material. Rest assured though, with all the study material Mike has posted here, the exam should be a "walk in the park", provided you question that which you don't understand and ask that someone clarify it for you.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #21 on: Nov 09, 2012, 11:18 »
If you have a student account setup already, but can't remember what your login name is, it is typically the first 3 letters of your last name, your six digit birthdate, and the letter "a". Then use whatever password you remember changing your password to.

Example: renMMDDYYa

This has changed, below is the new login format:

Full Last Name, First and middle initial, 4 digit month and day of birth.

« Last Edit: Nov 09, 2012, 11:19 by Rennhack »

Offline Old HP

• Moderate User
« Reply #22 on: Nov 10, 2012, 09:16 »
Be carefull about using NANTEL at home as that will be the next step for employment.
Complete all your security updates at home on your time and at your expense then complete all your training on your time. Not a good situation for outage workers.

Offline desertdog

• Moderate User
« Reply #23 on: Aug 19, 2016, 09:37 »
Does anyone on here know the recertification frequency for the Generic Modules. I know Respiratory Protection, PAT and RWT is yearly. I'm looking to find out the requirements for Cyber Security, Fall Protection, FFD/BOP, FME, and Material Handling.

Thanks for any help!
« Last Edit: Aug 19, 2016, 09:39 by desertdog »

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
« Reply #24 on: Aug 19, 2016, 12:19 »
FFD should be on a 365. I believe the others vary by site, but usually material handling and fall protection is lifetime.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?