St Lucie

Above Average
12 (20.3%)
Average
14 (23.7%)
Below Average
33 (55.9%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: St. Lucie  (Read 166369 times)

Neubium

Re: St Lucie
« Reply #100 on: Feb 06, 2004, 08:36 »
New Supervisors have decided to stay. They are both doing fine. Breath of fresh air really. Hopefully they can continue to have small victories and over time make things better.

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #101 on: Apr 05, 2004, 06:54 »
Sure is Quiet?

I've been hearing a lot of feedback, from a couple of house mice, things aren't exactly flowing smoothly at the outage, rumor or fact?

Also heard they decided to staff with a less than favorable number of Techs and Deconners, rumor or fact?

Do they still start each outage with the coined FP&L, " We have a Budget Problem"' speech?

thx113823

« Reply #102 on: Apr 05, 2004, 06:02 »
We're a little more than half way through the
outage now......No major problems yet! Rx. head
inspection OK! Sludge Lance done! Most valve
work almost done! 2 weeks before our start date
they cut 14 Senior HP positions and 20 decon
positions. Put a MAJOR hurt on our planned
staffing!!!! Same ol' Lucy!!!

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #103 on: Apr 05, 2004, 08:12 »
Every outage I worked PSL they had too many techs and too many workers. Everything went too smooth, so they had to change it!

Sorry, I meant to issue that post on April 1, and got distracted.

I always use PSL an example of scheduling to the extreme: the POD Nazis would require everything be done no earlier than planned. Deviations from the Plan required War Room approval. The schedule was the best and worst part of the plant outage.

Sounds like Turkey Point has infected PSL if they cut staffing with almost no notice: it would adversely affect the Plan!
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Old_Guy

« Reply #104 on: Apr 07, 2004, 05:45 »
St. Lucie is trying it's best to  make sure it maintains the spiral to the bottom of the heap.They treat the workers like dirt and the HPs even worse than dirt. No outage prep, no supplies  and no support from any management.
It has really become a scary place. They seem to be competing with Pilgrim and Dresden for last choice plants to work at.

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #105 on: Apr 07, 2004, 07:56 »
Pretty much sounds like the standard FP&L!

You have to give them credit this time, at least they told the techs a week in advance that the slots disappeared!  Normally, you would find that out after you drove a 1000 miles and showed at the gate!  Of course even the weeks notice probably didn't sit well, considering most techs turned down other assignments with the anticipation of returning for the future big outages! 

Management Support?  The story I've been getting is that managment postions are simply a short lay over to pick up a tan and search for a new job!
Why would anyone want to be bothered by work?

When is $26 Hr. and $100+ a Day equal to ZERO?
When you accept an assignment with FP&L!

So, who's gonna grasp for the brass ring hologram next season?

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
St. Lucie
« Reply #106 on: Apr 08, 2004, 05:31 »
If anyone has a favorite hang out, place to shop, or local information for this area please post it here.

JassenB

« Reply #107 on: Apr 18, 2004, 12:00 »
Yikes...I just read the complete Turkey Point and St. Lucie threads and couldn't believe it....

It sounds as though St. Lucie is the lesser of two evils, and nobody has mentioned the threat of being mugged or their car disappearing. Is this a correct assumption?

I just crossed Turkey Point off my wish list for fall, but the St. Lucie 2 outage fits into my overall schedule. Should I be looking elsewhere?

I'm coming in as a junior, just trying to find the best places to get in and build some experience.

Thanks!
-Jassen

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #108 on: Apr 19, 2004, 06:08 »
Turkey Point can be expensive for an outage. If you do the RV thing, call Goldcoaster in advance for reservations in Homestead. Gated, security patrolled, private, and clean. Worth every penny!

If you aren't doing the RV thing, go to Key Largo, and don't stop between Key Largo and Checkpoint Charlie at Turkey Point. Stay away from apartments and hotels in Homestead / Florida City. Stay away from malls and theaters and bars (people spend hours in there, and bad guys know it!) I am sorry to say even churches in Homestead suffer break-ins in the parking lot!

With those precautions, you can have a good Turkey Point visit.

As far as Saint Lucie, I would expect to spend quite a bit for a place to stay. Besides that, it's a beautiful place to work. The crime isn't usually a problem unless you get to downtown Fort Pierce (near the North end of Hutchinson Island).
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #110 on: Apr 20, 2004, 06:02 »
http://The management problems at both Turky Point and Saint Lucie , can all be summed up in one stinky *****. Face it . When it comes to the Nuclear Division, management is not an Art form. Keep the Turky point trash management at turky point where they can wear their name sake.  :)

I understand your concerns, and I also feel that the trash from Turkey Point should go to the landfill but usually ends up at St. Lucie.

Due to libel considerations, we do not use the name of the "bashee" in these posts. I had to edit your post to comply. I figure there are Art forms throughout the industry, so that part I let slide.
+Karma for your post, and don't let a little censorship keep you from sharing your opinions. Many prospective PSL (and PTN) employees need your input for balance, so they don't get blind-sided.

Ladyradhp39

« Reply #111 on: Apr 25, 2004, 06:38 »
My first HP job fresh out of CFCC was at St. Lucie in 1983. It is a shame I am hearing it has gone to the dogs. I played the Hank watch on Sundays so the boys could play and I bet the same boys then turned into a big problems.
I'm out of the plants and I sure am not sorry I have finished my time. I was sentenced to 20 years and as we know 2003 is long gone!
St. Lucie was the greatest plant in the nation to work at back then. Shame, shame, shame.
I guess they are having fun at outage time if they are pulling the BS I am reading.
« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2004, 06:44 by LadyRadHP39 »

swanssong

« Reply #112 on: Apr 25, 2004, 08:55 »
Hey Roll Tide. Thanks for the heads up and I will try to keep my little  horse st*** cleaner in the future.

Whew! Seems as if not *** is well at the ole country club used to be.

When so many individualy talented musicians cannot play a single symphony as a whole then its time to take a look at the conductor.

After 29 or so years in the Nuc industry I learned these lessons

1) Never trust anyone associated with HR unless you need a 1-800 number to your benifits hot line. They are not your crying stone and certainly are not your friend.

2) Never trust the Feds. Resident or other wise. They seem to have gotten to close to the industry since the Bush administratuion did its coup on America.
And  besides,they are limited as to what they can do for the morale issues I am reading about here.

3) Never use the EAP "benifit".  The only benifit it has is to mark you for your  employers future uses. At least at the parent company of St. Lucie

4) And NEVER NEVER NEVER go to "nuclear speakout"

You going to any of the above with a complaint is a sure fire way to get yourself labeled as a disgruntled little person worthy of being placed onto the chopping block.  The so c***ed "privacy" you think you have has its way of percolating down through the crevices.  Its the orchastra leader's method for blaming the talented musicians for his/her lack of ability to bring the symphony together.  And advise like I am giving here is exactly what he likes to see. Its less headaches for them.  But by *** means do not give up. Just re- direct your channels
« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2004, 09:33 by swanssong »

swanssong

« Reply #113 on: Apr 25, 2004, 08:57 »
Roll Tide, Release the censorship thing.  PLEASE!!!!!

swanssong

« Reply #114 on: Apr 26, 2004, 10:13 »
Hi Roll tide. By the way, there were very few bama fans at FPL That I knew of. So I feel as if I know you.
Any way. Back on 4/20 you responded to a entry in which I made reference to a dirty horse  stawl. You corrected my statement stating that we should not mention the name of the "bashee". Your words not mine. Since that date any word containing the letters a-l-l have been censoured.  So hence the request. Perhaps I just dont get it.  Go figure. Roll, you havn't turned into a company man have you?

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #115 on: Apr 26, 2004, 10:32 »
Hi Roll tide. By the way, there were very few bama fans at FPL That I knew of. So I feel as if I know you.
Any way. Back on 4/20 you responded to a entry in which I made reference to a dirty horse  stawl. You corrected my statement stating that we should not mention the name of the "bashee". Your words not mine. Since that date any word containing the letters a-l-l have been censoured.  So hence the request. Perhaps I just dont get it.  Go figure. Roll, you havn't turned into a company man have you?

WOW!
It was a much more powerful Jedi than I to work such mysterious havoc with your posts. I can open a post the old fashioned way and manually delete or modify offending verbage. This seems more like the work of a system administrator than a mere mortal moderator.

I am a company man. Specifically, I am a Rennhack company man, and I want this site to thrive. I am sure you do also, and understand why we don't attack using names. After all, we don't even give the names of our competition in a post, for legal reasons.

I spent a little time supporting St. Lucie. Beautiful place. The worst part of St. Lucie was the Turkey Point waste shipments!

swanssong

« Reply #116 on: Apr 26, 2004, 11:09 »
Sorry Roll. Didn't think it sounded like your MO. But all I had to go on was 1 plus 1. Thought you were the admin. Good to know.
My apology.  All All All

Offline Walt Harris

• Retired - Health Physics / Industrial Hygiene
  • Moderate User
  • I intend to live forever! So far so good!
« Reply #117 on: Apr 27, 2004, 03:23 »
My first HP job fresh out of CFCC was at St. Lucie in 1983. It is a shame I am hearing it has gone to the dogs.

One of the most fun and memorable outages of my life on the road. My second road job from late 1983, to 1984. (The underwater core barrel cut-up/repair.) Only left there to take an offer I "couldn't refuse". THE one plant that I always wanted to go back to, but never made it. I too am sorry to hear of all the problems.

Dyslexics of the world, UNTIE!

Catblue

« Reply #118 on: Apr 27, 2004, 08:04 »
Loved the area!

cerpico

« Reply #119 on: May 20, 2004, 07:38 »
Looking for old friends. B casisas or J stark. Could be working for J giles. If you know this then you will know of them.  contact me. All x licensed operators at Sait Lucie. Have "much to share" answer before company man Rol deletes.

oldtimer

« Reply #120 on: Jan 21, 2005, 12:16 »
Heard a rumor of some cracks in the Rx. head. Are there, repairable, additional outage time?
                         Signed: Just Curious

Offline Old HP

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #121 on: Jan 21, 2005, 03:06 »
I don't think anyone at Lucie has time to respond as they ended up cutting back on personel once again. (The old if we can get away with this time we can do it next time with even less)

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #122 on: Jan 22, 2005, 05:08 »
Actually, I think the staffing was about the same as last outage, and the first layoff list just came out... almost 20 days into the outage.

And the cracks have added several days to the outage, but no one is saying exactly how many. Rumors are from 10 to 20 days. Film at 11.

The weather is here, wish you were beautiful.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Antineutrino

« Reply #123 on: Sep 05, 2005, 05:11 »
I just read the entire listing of PSL postings.  There are so many unsubstantiated and uninformed comments being made, it's unbelievable!   St. Lucie is trying to play catch up.   There were years of neglect and lack of long term asset management.  It takes a while to overcome that.   But, the CEO and CNO are putting money into the plant.  That's important!

Beware of the supposed "insider" postings.   They are usually people who aren't informed or are just one of the people with negative attitudes.   St. Lucie is doing well, and can only be faulted for trying to catch up too quickly.   The amount of work being performed non-outage is staggering.   Many of the new hires have been effective, but have a hard time with the long time workers at the site.   

St. Lucie is now an INPO 2.   With new reactor heads and new S/Gs on both units by 2007, and numerous other plant improvements, St. Lucie is well on it's way back to the top.

Fermi2

« Reply #124 on: Mar 10, 2006, 06:21 »
Yeah St Lucie hired some good people. A couple years back they hired 3 of the best SROs we had at Fermi. I think Fermi is still recovering in some aspects from the loss of those three men.

I do have a question..

Last year St Lucie replaced one of their Pressurizers. I believe they're the only utility to have done this.

I'm wondering how big a task was it?

Why did they do it?

And what special considerations were there?

Mike

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?