Browns Ferry

Above Average
19 (32.8%)
Average
15 (25.9%)
Below Average
24 (41.4%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Browns Ferry  (Read 168378 times)

Offline Limited Quanity

• Moderate User
  • Don't worry about the mule just load the wagon!
Re: Browns Ferry
« Reply #150 on: Mar 30, 2008, 10:01 »
What's happening at the "Ol Ferry" these days?  Is there some March Madness going on down there.  I knew they cut back the outage length by cuting out some of the EPU uprate work but I've also heard of a couple recirc valve problems that might bump it out a couple weeks?  Would that put it back at about the 50 days originally scheduled?  If true.  ::)

Hey, just a quick shout out to all the guys and gals down there who worked up at WBN Lower on days.  If you get to come up to Sequoyah, remember Lower on nights is the place to be!  8)
I used to be a lifeguard until some blue kid got me fired.

Offline rumrunner

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #151 on: Mar 30, 2008, 12:27 »
Outage updates are slow coming in here at the retirement home.  However I did hear they had a 120 R particle in the condenser hotwell that had to be fished out - by two of Le Ferry's finest RP techs...a certain red-haired fellow and his prankster assistant (nickname of Frenchie, or Napoli, something like that).   :P
Dave

Surveyors_mato

« Reply #152 on: Mar 30, 2008, 02:35 »
Outage updates are slow coming in here at the retirement home.  However I did hear they had a 120 R particle in the condenser hotwell that had to be fished out - by two of Le Ferry's finest RP techs...a certain red-haired fellow and his prankster assistant (nickname of Frenchie, or Napoli, something like that).   :P

There's a story here....." Yuh see, Yuh gottcher R's an yuh gottcher mR's....Neow....em yer mR's, they ain't so bad but neow yer R's?....thee'l getcha"

Fermi2

« Reply #153 on: Mar 30, 2008, 05:41 »
Honestly? 120R in a hotwell?

Offline rumrunner

• Moderate User
« Reply #154 on: Mar 30, 2008, 06:23 »
Honestly? 120R in a hotwell?

Actually I think it has been in there for a while.  We had some bad fuel leakers at BFN a few years ago, and we had some memorable hot spots under the condensers of both Units 1 and 2, and in other rooms.  There was a place in the Reactor steam vault on U3 that had 1700 R/hr contact...it was in the overhead in a drain line.  That one vanished, but it is out there someplace.  I recall one of the condenser hot spots vanished after a couple cycles - perhaps it is this 120 R one and it was hung up somewhere inside and finally got back down into the hotwell.

Edit to add this:  BFN often drains down the cavity to the condensers, so whatever nasty stuff was in the vessel area ends up in the hotwells.
« Last Edit: Mar 30, 2008, 06:24 by rumrunner »
Dave

Fermi2

« Reply #155 on: Mar 30, 2008, 07:59 »
MAN that's HOT. When I was at Fermi we never drained the cavity to the condenser so far as I remember. It was either back to the CST or to a Sump. We spent quite a bit of time post outage flushing the cavity drain piping.

Mike

Offline nukedog

• Moderate User
  • Look at the head on that thing!
« Reply #156 on: Mar 31, 2008, 09:20 »
I heard the outage is going to be extended.
« Last Edit: Mar 31, 2008, 10:51 by nukedog »

Offline rumrunner

• Moderate User
« Reply #157 on: Mar 31, 2008, 11:10 »
MAN that's HOT. When I was at Fermi we never drained the cavity to the condenser so far as I remember. It was either back to the CST or to a Sump. We spent quite a bit of time post outage flushing the cavity drain piping.

Now that I think about it some more, I believe the last couple outages have used the CST path and cleaning the water up in the condemins.  But the price of going to the hotwells for several outages over the years is still being paid.  Of course I am retired now and living the outage vicariously through e-mails I get from my pals at Le Ferry. 
Dave

Offline Limited Quanity

• Moderate User
  • Don't worry about the mule just load the wagon!
« Reply #158 on: Mar 31, 2008, 10:06 »
I heard the outage is going to be extended.

Thanks Nukedog!!  I'm hoping it works out for some of the guys that thought they were going to get to go to Sequoyah for the "back leg of the trifecta".  First two legs were Watts Bar and Browns Ferry.  You know the old song and dance, "if you want to go here then you must go here first".  Then they are told it can't happen, the bus for Sequoyah is full.  So if they get to stay down there for awhile longer that will be good for them.  I hope?
I used to be a lifeguard until some blue kid got me fired.

Offline shrek4230

• Lurker
« Reply #159 on: Jun 23, 2008, 12:27 »
Hello,

I am an x-navy nuke.  I am interested in applying to get a job at Browns Ferry.  Does anyone know the best way to apply.  I have heard the online applications are very slow.  thanks alot.
Daniel

Offline Atomic Frog

• Sr HP Tech
  • Moderate User
  • Ribit!! Ribit!!
« Reply #160 on: Jun 23, 2008, 12:59 »
Hello,

I am an x-navy nuke.  I am interested in applying to get a job at Browns Ferry.  Does anyone know the best way to apply.  I have heard the online applications are very slow.  thanks alot.
Daniel

Hi Shrek

You will have to submit an online application for any job in TVA. What jobs are you interested in?

Peace

Frog
It is not MY fault that I never learned to accept responsibility.- Homer J. Simpson

I bet Einstein turned himself into all sorts of colors before he invented the light bulb.- Homer J. Simpson

Fermi2

« Reply #161 on: Jun 23, 2008, 05:44 »
The only way to apply is online.

Mike

Offline shrek4230

• Lurker
« Reply #162 on: Jun 29, 2008, 11:59 »
The jobs I would like would be anything really.
I have been an ELT/RCT for 8 years and qualified watch supervisor for 2.  I have done mechanic maintenance, and supervised thousands of radcon jobs... really open as far the next job in the civilian sector.  thanks

Fermi2

« Reply #163 on: Jun 29, 2008, 08:35 »
I have been an ELT/RCT for 8 years and qualified watch supervisor for 2.  I have done mechanic maintenance, and supervised thousands of radcon jobs... really open as far the next job in the civilian sector.  thanks

So what have you done that applies in the real world?

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #164 on: Jul 01, 2008, 04:00 »
OUCH, BZ that was harsh!

But then again, those types of answers do build fortitude!

Be carefull what you wish for!

RG!   :o

Offline "E"

• Light User
« Reply #165 on: Oct 15, 2008, 07:44 »
Does anybody know the physical address of Browns Ferry? All I can find is a po box. I need it for my GPS.
Thanks for any help.
"You can sleep when you're dead"

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #166 on: Oct 15, 2008, 08:25 »
Does anybody know the physical address of Browns Ferry? All I can find is a po box. I need it for my GPS.
Thanks for any help.

If you've got a Garmin here's a file that Mike Rennhack made: http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,10706.msg78743.html#msg78743 that should help.  Here's the Google map for Brown's Ferry: http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&q=34.7058,-87.1202
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Offline "E"

• Light User
« Reply #167 on: Oct 15, 2008, 10:53 »
If you've got a Garmin here's a file that Mike Rennhack made: http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,10706.msg78743.html#msg78743 that should help.  Here's the Google map for Brown's Ferry: http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&q=34.7058,-87.1202

Thanks, but I'm still looking for the address.

Offline "E"

• Light User
Do you know this address?
« Reply #168 on: Oct 16, 2008, 11:24 »
I'm looking for the physical address of the Browns Ferry plant. I've seen the P.O. box on the normal web sites for finding Nuclear Plant addresses. I've searched elsewhere also, with no luck. Other than people directing me to a map with the coordinates, but no physical address. I'm sure I can ask directions when I get to Athens, Al, but would rather have the address for my GPS. Does anyone out there know this information?

I'm sure I'll still find it without the address...

Thanks for a reply.  8)

"M"

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
Re: Do you know this address?
« Reply #169 on: Oct 17, 2008, 02:31 »
It is VERY possible that there is not a physical (street) address for Browns Ferry.  I know that is true for Callaway.  I did find this Bartlett page which gives directions to Browns Ferry from both Huntsville & Athens: http://bartlettinc.sharestreet.net/outageinfo/brownsferry/default.aspx  I'm sorry I wasn't any help by sending the coordinates.  I thought that a GPS would take either an address or coordinates. 

I've moved this topic to the correct thread.

"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Nuclear Renaissance

« Reply #170 on: Oct 17, 2008, 04:36 »
try this - it works for all the major internet mapping sites:

Nuclear Plant Rd & Shaw Rd, Athens, Alabama 35611

Offline "E"

• Light User
« Reply #171 on: Oct 17, 2008, 07:06 »
Thank you all for your help.

Offline Neutron Whisperer

• Moderate User
  • What do you bring to the table?
« Reply #172 on: Mar 16, 2009, 05:01 »
Got an email today: "I saw your profile on job portal.  At the outset, I believe that you will fit into the role.  I need to speak with you for ten minutes to understand whether you will meet our need and whether we can work together."  It's for "Operations Training Manager" position.  Says "Should be SRO certified".  I'm not; I get out of the navy this fall.

The letter says the position is open to Browns Ferry and Sequoyah.  Anyone provide any info on this job position?

Thanks.
Disclaimer: there is no "tone" to my post.

Fermi2

« Reply #173 on: Mar 16, 2009, 05:26 »
You're not qualified.

Mike

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
« Reply #174 on: Mar 16, 2009, 05:29 »
I've been getting solicitations as well, from a third party recruiting firm out of Mookalakala, India.

I didn't have the heart to correct her English and send it back to them.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?