Browns Ferry

Above Average
19 (32.8%)
Average
15 (25.9%)
Below Average
24 (41.4%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Browns Ferry  (Read 168360 times)

Offline nukedog

• Moderate User
  • Look at the head on that thing!
Re: Browns Ferry
« Reply #50 on: Jan 13, 2007, 09:20 »
I heard Browns Ferry is going to have a +40 day outage, I am sure they going to need techs,alot of them. If TVA works these guys like any other outage they better plan getting several different staffing dates. They will be dropping like flys!

Phrosty

« Reply #51 on: Jan 29, 2007, 10:35 »
Hello all, I will more than likely be moving to the Huntsville area somewhere in the next 6-12 months when I get out of the Navy. I was wondering if anyone had the inside scoop to any jobs that might be opening up in that time frame. By the way I was a Nuke ET if that helps at all. Thanks

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #52 on: Jan 29, 2007, 10:53 »
You need to look at the www.tva.gov employment links very often. Sometimes they post positions for OPS AUO or MIG (Maintenance Instrument Group) for a week, sometimes two. I have seen postings as short as post Friday and close Monday, with one or the other being a national holiday!
It often takes 6 months from advertisement to hiring at TVA, so it is time to look.

And thanks for your service.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

deaztrailnutz

« Reply #53 on: Jan 29, 2007, 10:52 »
How does one go about earning a job in the control room itself? 

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #54 on: Jan 30, 2007, 09:39 »
The best way is to work your way up within the OPS department. An experienced AUO at BFN should become the best RO at BFN. Similarly, an experienced RO at BFN should beome the best SRO at BFN.

There are other ways to get in the control room if previously licensed at another site, a degreed engineer, or certain Navy Nuke experiences.

Hope this helps Deaz (and others) on the trail of nuclear employment...  ;D
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

deaztrailnutz

« Reply #55 on: Jan 30, 2007, 09:59 »
Thanks!  Roll Tide Roll!

M1Ark

« Reply #56 on: Jan 30, 2007, 11:59 »
How does one go about earning a job in the control room itself? 

There is not an Instant-RO program.  You must follow the path Roll Tide described.

The program is slightly different for each plant.  There are several paths to an SRO license (6?) and they are outlined in  INPO ACAD document 00-003. 

Path 1: A degreed staff engineer
Path 2: Navy nuke officer, Navy nuke RO, Navy nuke EWS
Path 3: QA inspector
Path 4: Training Instructor
Path 5: RO upgrade to SRO (Same Reactor)
Path 6: Previously licensed RO/SRO from a Non-Comparable Reactor (Another Plant)

This is off the top of my head and you must consult the INPO ACAD document for the straight answer.  I'm not sure which one of these paths you qualify for. 

You must do six months onsite not enrolled in training.  I've seen people assigned to QA, Maintenance, Licensing, Work Control, etc. during this time period.  I was assigned to an operating shift and stood NLO rounds for 6 months.

After the six months was up we started an 8 week GFE course followed by an NRC GFE exam.  We then worked a refuel outage doing minor task and then classed up again.

13 weeks systems course.
6 weeks admin course
6 weeks startups and shutdowns (Simulator Training)
6 weeks Abnormal Operating Procedures (Simulator Training)
12 weeks Emergency operating Procedures (Simulator Training)
17 weeks on-shift as under-instruction with an SRO (520 Hours)
    This includes a qualification signoff book 4" thick

Initial hire to SRO license => 2 years!

Then your assigned your own shift the first year and allowed to saddle-up in the big chair.  They'll neglect to tell you that it's more like a mechanical bull.  Those that stay on stay on shift.  Those that fall off will be writing procedures or tagouts in the clearance center.

Again, each plant is a little different but what I listed is typical of most plants.  PM me if you have specific questions.

Fermi2

« Reply #57 on: Jan 30, 2007, 01:09 »

Then your assigned your own shift the first year and allowed to saddle-up in the big chair.  They'll neglect to tell you that it's more like a mechanical bull.  Those that stay on stay on shift.  Those that fall off will be writing procedures or tagouts in the clearance center.

THAT is so true LOL!!!

Mike

Offline nukedog

• Moderate User
  • Look at the head on that thing!
« Reply #58 on: Feb 01, 2007, 08:01 »

Hey Roll tide it is funny you used the term saddle-up is that a cowboy term in OPs? We also use cowboy terms in RadPro! Coach wouldn't want it any other way.

deaztrailnutz

« Reply #59 on: Feb 01, 2007, 09:55 »
What are the qualifications for a maintenance job?  I have HVAC and electrical experience, is that of any help?  What activities are involved with an outtage?

Phrosty

« Reply #60 on: Feb 01, 2007, 01:30 »
So if I am a qualified navy Reactor Operator that could possibly open a few more doors? Also I was wondering if I do want to get my foot in the door, what jobs should I be applying for since I have not been seeing any RO jobs popup?

Fermi2

« Reply #61 on: Feb 01, 2007, 01:35 »
So if I am a qualified navy Reactor Operator that could possibly open a few more doors? Also I was wondering if I do want to get my foot in the door, what jobs should I be applying for since I have not been seeing any RO jobs popup?

You haven't operated a real reactor yet, you've only qualified on a start up source. There's no such thing as an Instant RO. I suggest doing a search in the other forums on this board. It's all very well explained.

Mike

Offline Len61

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #62 on: Feb 05, 2007, 12:57 »

A Navy RO doesn’t mean a thing to here at the Ferry.
The Operations staff is so under manned in the RO and SRO ranks its unbelievable NRC is going to allow U1 startup.

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #63 on: Feb 05, 2007, 01:13 »
The Operations staff is so under manned in the RO and SRO ranks its unbelievable NRC is going to allow U1 startup.

By TVA standards, it is skin and bones. That means most other utilities would be laying off!  8)

Nukedog,
I didn't post it. However, that does look like a cowboy term. Tell coach to keep up the good work (and whipping those little doggies!) at the Ferry.

SQN doesn't really saddle-up in OPS. The big chair looks like it came from the set of a rejected Star Trek spin-off!

Offline Len61

• Moderate User
« Reply #64 on: Feb 05, 2007, 01:41 »
Roll Tide, are you at BFN or SQN? Does Tech Spec Minimum mean anything to you! We are very close due to the..... well if you've been with TVA for any amount of time you know!

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #65 on: Feb 05, 2007, 02:35 »
Currently at SQN. TVA has announced they will revise the TS staffing to be closer to the industry norms (2 less @ SQN) per the Goodnight study. Talk to the people at BFN that have been OPS for other utilities; we can scream that we need people NOW, but we have more than comparable plants. If we could only figure out how to get those extra bodies on shift...

Besides, you have 2 simulators! You can pump out new licenses in no time now!

Offline Len61

• Moderate User
« Reply #66 on: Feb 05, 2007, 03:25 »
Don't want to start a flame thread here, but what fantasy world are you living in that you think "you can pump out license's in no time".

Offline Len61

• Moderate User
« Reply #67 on: Feb 05, 2007, 06:28 »
And by the way as I am sure most people on this site know, no utility can revise their "Tech Specs". They can only apply to the NRC for an amendment. Minimum manning for license's is spelled out in 10CFR50.54. >:(

Fermi2

« Reply #68 on: Feb 05, 2007, 08:41 »
And by the way as I am sure most people on this site know, no utility can revise their "Tech Specs". They can only apply to the NRC for an amendment. Minimum manning for license's is spelled out in 10CFR50.54. >:(

Ya might wanna read up a bit bucko. Your real minimum manning comes from the Fire Protection Report. Might I suggest reading OPDP 1 which is common to all of TVAN?

Mike

Offline Len61

• Moderate User
« Reply #69 on: Feb 05, 2007, 09:51 »
Oh I agree that we have other minimums, but if we have to go below FPR requirements all we do is right a PER.

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #70 on: Feb 06, 2007, 09:41 »
Don't want to start a flame thread here, but what fantasy world are you living in that you think "you can pump out license's in no time".

Just a little humor attempt. One of the limiting factors for the number of classes you can run at one time is simulator time. I was told by one of the now-retired SROs down there, "We won't have any problem staffing up for Unit 1: We're getting a second simulator."

I have been on shift when manning was inadequate at another utility. The difference is that other utilities move every support person back on shift. Every job previously performed off-shift is divided between the operating shifts. The OPS Sup (the only license not assigned to an operating shift) has even taken some of the SM coverage.

It is no fun to be short-handed. I understand that, and figure that is why you don't see any humor in my comments. But it could just be that they weren't funny. No harm intended either way.

Offline Len61

• Moderate User
« Reply #71 on: Feb 06, 2007, 10:12 »
Roll Tide
Sorry, it's a very touchy subject.
Some of the "now retired" SRO's have been hired back as contractors (making a lot more money than the licensed SRO's) to fill SRO jobs that don't require a license, such as Work control supervisor.
We do have 2 Sims (won't talk about lack of trianing staff to operate them), however the license problem is we can't get RO's to up grade to SRO and instant SRO's
don't seem to have a very high success rate thru the ILT process.
I'm just venting a little, we (BFN) will get thru this and bring U1 online.

Fermi2

« Reply #72 on: Feb 06, 2007, 01:15 »
Roll Tide
Sorry, it's a very touchy subject.
Some of the "now retired" SRO's have been hired back as contractors (making a lot more money than the licensed SRO's) to fill SRO jobs that don't require a license, such as Work control supervisor.
We do have 2 Sims (won't talk about lack of trianing staff to operate them), however the license problem is we can't get RO's to up grade to SRO and instant SRO's
don't seem to have a very high success rate thru the ILT process.
I'm just venting a little, we (BFN) will get thru this and bring U1 online.

I think everyone in the country is starting to feel this pain a bit, it's certainly not alleviated in that you can train an SRO and they'll jump to another utility.

As for the FOR you cannot just write a PER, you gotta make efforts to get back into the required manning within 2 hours. What Roll Tide meant about reducing staffing is making an effort to get back into a realistic Appendix R basis in order to allow reducing minimum shift staffing so you don't have to call OT or force people in because someone is ill.

Mike

Offline Len61

• Moderate User
« Reply #73 on: Feb 06, 2007, 01:54 »
Mike
I had a hot head when I made that post. What I should have said was we write a PER if we go below OSIL Minimum. You are right about the FPR requirements, however at BFN we are fortunate to still have a dedicated fire ops dept and AUO staffing for SSI's is not really an issue.
The problem lies with the LACK OF PRIOR PLANNING of senior managment.
Sorry if it appears that I am airing our dirty laundry.

Fermi2

« Reply #74 on: Feb 06, 2007, 08:36 »
Don't sweat it. Remember many of the sins we are paying for today are due to decisions made years ago. I'm newer to TVA than you are (I think). I think they're trying to head in the right direction. Lets remember most Training centers are set up for a class maybe every 18 months with a few months break in between. Currently SQN has My HLC, another in progress for SROs who preeviously held PWR Licenses and another one starting in late March for those who have never held a license or were BWR Licensed. Along with that we have an AUO class in progress and another just finishing up. That's a LOT of trainees and since no one in TVA planned for workforce aging all that well the training staff is stressed too. In the end I think we'll all end up ok, we're getting good people into the company combined with the great ones who were already in it. A few lean years ahead but I think overall we're heading to the right place. We still have Fire Ops too. Great group of guys.

Mike

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?