Susquehanna

Above Average
41 (65.1%)
Average
13 (20.6%)
Below Average
9 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: Susquehanna  (Read 68638 times)

Cathy

Re: Susquehanna
« Reply #25 on: Mar 19, 2008, 06:30 »
Desertdog, well said on the adverse effects of a knee-jerk contamination control procedure.
To demonstrate how poorly they have reacted, a RWP here calls for double PC's, power visor, and bza while working in an area of general contamination >50k dpm/100cm^2   :o
Oh, I get it, we may kill someone from heat stress but at least the body will be clean! Definite overkill for 50K. I would hope that heat stress issues are taken into account and balanced against a relatively harmless contamination. Heat stress does incredibly more damage to someone than a 50K contamination.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #26 on: Mar 19, 2008, 11:40 »
Thank you Cathy.  Please repeat that at work as often as possible.

Remember everyone, INPO is the place where the power plants send the employees for a couple of years whom they won't miss.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #27 on: Mar 20, 2008, 04:53 »
No, but the body would be mixed waste.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

azna

« Reply #28 on: Mar 23, 2008, 09:53 »
This past week a union labor was fired for asking to talk with the NRC.  He saw boundaries being moved without HP, people wanted him to hand out materials without Hp checking them (thats the way we do it here) he was told. He was put off the property without his exit body count. And was not allowed the talk with anyone.                           As a union worker RP's and HP's are my best friends while I am working an outage. They are part of my safety, the people I can trust and count on to help me work safe. While I was at Susquehanna during this outage I saw very few HP's. When I left on Saturday, I had seen and talked to none. I returned on sunday for my exit body count and finally saw some in unit 2.
This kind of management at Susquehanna will destroy all work for all of us.  :'( I love working in the Nuclear world but will not stay at a plant were the environment was like it is at Susquehanna.
I will hope and pray that ALL workers who stay to finish this outage will be safe.

Melrose

« Reply #29 on: Mar 23, 2008, 11:15 »
Hmmmmmm....

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #30 on: Mar 24, 2008, 05:31 »
This past week a union labor was fired for asking to talk with the NRC.  He saw boundaries being moved without HP, people wanted him to hand out materials without Hp checking them (thats the way we do it here) he was told. He was put off the property without his exit body count. And was not allowed the talk with anyone.

If this is true, he needs to contact the NRC in Rockville, MD (or King of Prussia, PA) IMMEDIATELY and let them know what happened. I guarantee fireworks if he was denied access to the NRC.
« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2008, 05:32 by RDTroja »
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

safetyguy

« Reply #31 on: Mar 24, 2008, 05:40 »
I'm gonna hafta throw the BS flag here!  Just doesn't seem to make a lot of sense....sounds like someone is unhappy at being let go, because if it was
100% true, that person (if they had any brains at all) would know how
to contact the NRC and would have already done it.......

shovelheadred

« Reply #32 on: Mar 25, 2008, 04:36 »
...I agree with RD,,,,, anyone that has ever took the time to read the posted NRC material at the entrance to any Nuclear facility knows this would be highly illegal,,,and I am not the brightest light on the tree, but this sounds like a 3AM, break room story to me....red

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #33 on: Mar 26, 2008, 05:48 »
This past week a union labor was fired for asking to talk with the NRC.  He saw boundaries being moved without HP, people wanted him to hand out materials without Hp checking them (thats the way we do it here) he was told. He was put off the property without his exit body count. And was not allowed the talk with anyone.                           As a union worker RP's and HP's are my best friends while I am working an outage. They are part of my safety, the people I can trust and count on to help me work safe. While I was at Susquehanna during this outage I saw very few HP's. When I left on Saturday, I had seen and talked to none. I returned on sunday for my exit body count and finally saw some in unit 2.
This kind of management at Susquehanna will destroy all work for all of us.  :'( I love working in the Nuclear world but will not stay at a plant were the environment was like it is at Susquehanna.
I will hope and pray that ALL workers who stay to finish this outage will be safe.

So when this was reported to www.nrc.gov , what did they say?

azna

« Reply #34 on: Mar 28, 2008, 05:39 »
Well it is true. I left Susquehanna, myself, after talking with "Jeff" the on-site NRC for almost two hours. Which I was told they would be in contact with me, by mail. Which still has not happened. Even after I contacted him a second time.
I was told while on site concerning their safety harnesses, just pick the least out of service dated one and use that one.
One question that was raised while I was on-site was HOW does a persons dose (yearly total) go backwards on the computer. When you PAD out for break at 158, the go back in, PAD out again for lunch, then HOW do you only have 111?  Seams no one has yet to answer this question...still waiting for answers.
But, yes I know the person who was fired and he has OFF-Site contacted the NRC, but was not allowed to see them on site.
I found Susquehanna to be a nightmare, and no procedure being followed while I was in the RRA. That was my main complaint to the NRC. Six days in, three trips a day into the RRA and only once did I see or talk with any HP. And that was because I forced the ones working  with me that night to find someone to talk with before we continued.  Funny when I went back to do my exit body count, I found HP control point and saw there really was one at this plant. Why, pray tell, did new people who had never before been in a Nuclear plant before this be led to believe that this is the way it is? It is not the way I enter RRA's in other plants. Maybe because HP control point was in unit 2 and workers are entering from unit1, there should be more control. I saw these things myself, therefore I know them to be true.
Susquehanna will be a plant I never return to and warn others to be VERY careful.
Yes, we union labors know it is illegal, we have a right to talk with the NRC. Hopefully the person who fired someone for asking to talk with the NRC will soon be fired himself. I will watch closely as it all unfolds.  And will keep all posted as to what happens.  As I told "Jeff" from the NRC it is not my place to give others names out but, if it is okay after I talk with the person. I will let everyone know.

Mnemorath

Nat Geo World's Toughest Fixes
« Reply #35 on: Sep 28, 2008, 09:57 »
The first episode of this series deals with a turbine changeout at a plant in PA. Security concerns prevented seeing any of the good stuff, but there was some interesting stuff none the less.

Though setting up a CSCA to remove a turbine casing is odd in my book. Unless we knew we had a primary to secondary leak, we have no reason to do that in the Navy. The info seemed to indicate the the steam came right off of the core itself. No steam generator, no primary to secondary separation. Just a separation between the steam and the heatsink.

Anyone on here worked on that job that can give us some more info or even tell us what its like to be on TV?

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
Re: Nat Geo World's Toughest Fixes
« Reply #36 on: Sep 28, 2008, 10:04 »
Susquehanna is a BWR (Boiling Water Reactor) and that's the reason for the CA and the concrete walls around the turbine. 
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Mnemorath

« Reply #37 on: Sep 28, 2008, 10:11 »
Susquehanna is a BWR (Boiling Water Reactor) and that's the reason for the CA and the concrete walls around the turbine. 

Damn. Just watching the episode made me wince at the needed radcon. I am DAMN glad we used pressurized water for our plants aboard ship. BWR's look like they are a radcon nightmare.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #38 on: Sep 29, 2008, 12:31 »
Oh! I think my eyes are bleeding.

Dude, out of over 100 commercial nuke plants in the US, about half of them are BWR's.

Yes, they are challenging from a radiation perspective, but they don't have any Steam Generators to screw around with.  According to some of the Operators here, they are easier to control and more stable than PWR's.

Of course, the PWR's aren't exactly what you'd expect either.  Three Mile Island Unit 1 has such leaky S/G's that their turbine building has as many CA's as some BWR's.

But none of this is a nightmare.  It is just a job.  It is how we pay the rent.  You probably would die of shock if you saw some of the stuff that exists in DOE facilities.  They have RCA's as big as some counties.

Mnemorath

« Reply #39 on: Sep 29, 2008, 01:06 »
Ugh, I am having enough trouble wrapping my head around how such a design would work. That and I HATE radcon. I was a secondary mechanic aboard ship. Radcon was only as needed for watchstanding.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #40 on: Sep 29, 2008, 02:21 »
Ugh, I am having enough trouble wrapping my head around how such a design would work. That and I HATE radcon. I was a secondary mechanic aboard ship. Radcon was only as needed for watchstanding.

Once you get your head around the voids, its easy.

I was at Palo Verde for 6 months, then Peach (pwr/brw respectively), and I can say that when you remove the steam generators, pressurizer and charging/letdown systems and their associated control systems, things get relatively easy, in my opinion. :)

Justin

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
  • it was like like that when i got here!
« Reply #41 on: Sep 29, 2008, 10:22 »

It isn't that hard...if a land lubber with NO -navy time can get the concept it shouldn't be that hard for a train'd individual.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #42 on: Sep 29, 2008, 10:25 »

Here's the good part.  Aside from the fact that 98% of the commercial nukes do not use the term "RadCon", there is also the fact that you don't have to do it.  You won't be allowed to do it if it is not your job.  People out here are not as cross-trained as the Navy.  We pick one job and do that as well as possible.  There is somebody else to do the surveys and decon and the dose tracking, etc.  You put on the yellow suit, do your job, clean up your own tools, and go have coffee.  The HP takes care of the stuff you hate.

Then again, you could always work in a fossil plant.  The work of a mechanic is basically the same.

Or, you could be an operator.  Those guys don't have much to worry about radiation either.  They do their jobs pretty much the same in either type of plant - they just have to wear a dosimeter a lot more in a BWR, and sometimes they need booties and gloves to go into some areas.  No big deal.  But again, the Radiation Protection is somebody else's job - not yours.

Mnemorath

« Reply #43 on: Sep 29, 2008, 11:11 »
Thats good to hear. PVO was always a hated part of my watchstanding. It was worse when I had to do a gage changeout in the chargeing system. THAT was a pain in the ass.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #44 on: Sep 29, 2008, 12:23 »
Speaking of Susquehanna, I know someone who's goal it is to someday work there as a licensed operator. Anyone on nukeworker from there with any contacts?

Thanks

Justin

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #45 on: Sep 29, 2008, 01:09 »
Thats good to hear. PVO was always a hated part of my watchstanding. It was worse when I had to do a gage changeout in the chargeing system. THAT was a pain in the ass.

If you are an operator out here, you will be the one turning valves.  Sometimes they will be in contaminated areas - so you'll be wearing the kit just to get to them.  But, you aren't going to have to take a five pound cap off one first.  You just turn the wheel.  The I&C techs handle the gauges.

This is nothing like a ship. Nothing.  Nothing.  Nothing.

I say again, NOTHING.
« Last Edit: Sep 29, 2008, 11:29 by BeerCourt »

Mnemorath

« Reply #46 on: Sep 29, 2008, 10:32 »
Good to hear

geoman076

Any SRO's at Susquehanna? Would like some info.
« Reply #47 on: Dec 30, 2008, 12:51 »
Hello all!

I've been lurking for a long time, and this is my first post. I'm a licensed RO at a Northeastern BWR thinking about making a jump to SRO at Susquehanna. Looks like I'll be taking a trip down early in 2009 for interviews and testing. Any information and suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!
« Last Edit: Dec 30, 2008, 12:51 by geoman076 »

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #48 on: Jan 05, 2009, 12:45 »
Hey let me know if you get in, I want to be an SRO there one day.  8)

Justin

lucky nuke

« Reply #49 on: Mar 08, 2009, 09:25 »
From the results of the voting is this a good plant to work for?  I am looking into operations or training.  Thanks

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?