Susquehanna

Above Average
41 (65.1%)
Average
13 (20.6%)
Below Average
9 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: Susquehanna  (Read 68628 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Susquehanna
« on: Nov 30, 2002, 07:14 »
Don't forget to vote.  Keep your comments civil.

trailorqueen

Re: Rate Susquehanna
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2003, 05:12 »
I really enjoy working at Susquahanna.  It is nice to work at a plant where the house backs up contractors.  I am about to go back there for the fourth time, and even thought the area ain't nothin special, I look forward to it.  Not only are the house people nice, they for the most part have the same contractors year after year, so you usually know most of the people from day 1, instead of right before you get laid off.    

DesertRad

Re: Susquehanna
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2004, 12:30 »
The House techs and supervisors are good bunch of folks, lots of friends there. Plenty of outdoor activities. If you have a weight problem as do I, then this probably isn't the place to go. They are costantly buying Pizza, Calzone, Wings and on and on.

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
Re: Susquehanna Contracts
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2004, 06:40 »
February 17, 2004
AREVA License Renewal Team Wins Contract at PPL Nuclear Power Plant

AREVA's joint subsidiary with Siemens, Framatome ANP, has been awarded a contract to provide license renewal application services for PPL's Susquehanna nuclear power plant. This project will be performed by Framatome ANP with its license renewal teammate, Entergy Nuclear. Submittal of the license renewal application to the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) is scheduled for the third quarter of 2006.

The current term of the operating licenses for Susquehanna units 1 and 2 ends in 2022 and 2024. Once the NRC approves PPL's application, the licenses will be renewed until 2042 and 2044 respectively.

Entergy Nuclear and AREVA's Framatome ANP have teamed to provide unmatched license renewal services. This team has supported six of the eight license renewal applications approved to date and is currently providing support and preparation services for twelve more applications.

The team has been involved in nuclear plant license renewal since the initial regulatory discussions began more than fifteen years ago. Entergy Nuclear and AREVA's Framatome ANP have also assisted both nuclear plant licensees and the NRC in developing and assessing programs and performing tasks related to the regulatory challenge of continued nuclear power facility operation beyond the initial forty-year license period

(THANKS, C. Jethro)
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

BuddyThePug

« Reply #4 on: Sep 20, 2005, 01:59 »
Which company staffs rad techs for Susquehanna outages? Thanks.

vikingfan

« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2005, 07:45 »
bartlett is the contractor for hp techs.

Offline 712s

• Very Lite User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #6 on: Jun 30, 2006, 03:00 »
Talk About: Susquehanna

Heads up.Susquehanna has an outage coming up september 30th if anyone is interested.Great place to work.Pretty good pay and diem etc.Area has many resonable places to rent.Call Joey for details.

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
  • it was like like that when i got here!
« Reply #7 on: Jul 04, 2006, 11:24 »
i worked there a lot in the early/mid 90's and it was fantastic but I'm not getting the C_ _ _ _ _ _ thing. Is that one of the supervisors or what?

This guy is an ex-road tech turned house..kinda made working the DW sucky the LAST outage i was at last year...Micky & Rich or Kurt & Rich was way better...I think one could poll almost anyone from the DW on nites from last years outage & they would say the same thing...
When i first started going to susquehanna, we got fed at least once a week & got treated better than 95% of the plants out there..you didn't mind doing 4 or 5 hr. jumps in the DW 'cause it wasn't every nite & then they told ya to get lost for a couple of hrs...treated super good....
now when ya want a break, ya got sit the DW access check point to verify peeps are on the correct RWP...wonder why we started doing that in the first place??? C_ _ _ _ _ Sucks!...It ain't like it used to be..& just 'cause i went house dosen't mean i don't know how this years outage went, i heard plenty every day!

Offline 712s

• Very Lite User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2007, 12:27 »
For helpful information if your going to Susquehanna.Visit this website.

www.susquehannainfo.blogspot. com

Offline 712s

• Very Lite User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2007, 12:30 »
Helpful information on the following site if your going to Susquehanna for an outage.

www.susquehannainfo.blogspot. com

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2007, 02:43 »
Dang, if every plant did something like this, it would make life on the road nice - whoever put this together and posted the blog sure is at the head of the class. ;D
« Last Edit: Jan 16, 2007, 03:49 by pet_snake »
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline biloxoi blues

• Moderate User
  • Engineer (self proclaimed)
« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2007, 03:14 »
I agree thanks 712, I justed booked a room.  And of course thanks nukeworker.

jowlman

« Reply #12 on: Mar 23, 2007, 04:06 »
 SSES has always been the best. I've never been treated better anywhere, they treat you just like they treat their house techs. Just beware of their meter reading test if you're a dope.  ;D
« Last Edit: Mar 23, 2007, 02:48 by Rennhack »

craps7

« Reply #13 on: Mar 23, 2007, 08:22 »
The cordinator is the best "dog" cooker ever.   Things are winding down.  Dont work the refuel floor heard its not very fun.  Meter reading seems to be an issue.  The house techs have been great cant say too much about the weather.  It has stunk.  The towns will make you homesick, but overall not a bad place to work at all.  Wages need to go up though

blackballedsnake

« Reply #14 on: Jan 04, 2008, 12:24 »
I always had a good time @ SSES. ;D The house techs are friendly and will work with ya. If yer a tech in your 20's, I suggest heading into Bloomsburg to stay...or on yer day or nite off. ;) (itsa college town!! wink, wink) But remember...No booze within 6 hrs. of reporting for duty!! >:(  Don't hate the playa...hate tha game! 8)

Ron102nj

Susquehanna and DZNPS
« Reply #15 on: Feb 24, 2008, 12:27 »
 I find it quite interesting that the so called SUPERVISORS for DZNPS stated when we first processed in the he was "for the men"
To me his name is all over this outage, and is doing his rattest to make sure it does come in under budget or whatever you call it.  At last weeks safety meeting one of his cronies conducted the meeting and attempted to implement a 36hr. straight time rule. "Due to the absenteeism of the job, DZNPS is instituting a 36hr. rule. You must work 36 straight time hours in order to work on SATURDAY or SUNDAY." I must say that when this outage happens THEY will need everyone here on 7/10's or 7/12's, No matter what.  Local 163 is doing a great job. Believe you me, DZNPS will do whatever they can to bring in "The Atlantic Group"( an open shop outfit). I hope that does not happen.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #16 on: Feb 24, 2008, 02:00 »
I had a lot of bosses whose policy was that if you are "too sick" to work on Friday, you are too sick to work the weekend.  Most of the people on this site don't get any OT until after 40 hours - meaning that any day they take off is an overtime day.  They're getting screwed both ways, but it is their choice to work non-union.
Still, you aren't getting any sympathy because you can't be bothered to show up for less than time and a half.  The job requires your attendance during the weekday too, and you are actually getting a break if you can work 36 hours of straight time and still collect overtime.  That is one of the benefits of joining a union.  But if you abuse it, they'll bring in Atlantic.  If they do that, you have showed us right here why they have a legitimate reason to do that.  You want the pay, do the job.  Quit whining.  It isn't DZNPS's fault or Atlantic's, or Susquehanna's that you banged in a bunch of sick days and expected to come in on Sunday alongside all the guys who worked all week.  Don't EVEN try to turn this into a union vs. non-union issue.  You are showing a prime example of why some union guys are constantly working, and some others are on the bench so much that they don't even have their insurance.  There is more to earning a paycheck than showing up with a membership card in your pocket.  You have to pick up the tools too.
« Last Edit: Feb 24, 2008, 02:07 by BeerCourt »
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

azna

« Reply #17 on: Mar 13, 2008, 02:00 »
I had to leave Susquehanna early...   :'(   It is one, I will not return to. So many workers leaving because of the disrespect of management toward the workers. They were only concerned with their paperwork being filled out correctly, not about the safety of the workers.  :'(  I hope and pray all those I left behind will be safe and able to finish the outage.

Ron102nj

« Reply #18 on: Mar 15, 2008, 09:27 »
You are not the only one that has left. Theres many more behind you. Safety is only a concern when it is COST PROHIBITIVE. Now that the outage is in effect, their backs are up against the wall. Rumor mill has it that the outage might get extended 10-15 more days. Steam Dryer didn;t fit. OOOOOOOpppps. We werte on the feed waer heaters on Sunday and this guy (name removed by moderator) was in such a rush for us to get our work done on SUNDAY> It was Sunday morning when we completed our task, and the FWH's didnt come out until Tuesday Afternoon. Some planning huh.   AND WE ARE WORKING SUNDAYS!!!!!!!!!! 7/10's  Please be safe. You are your own safety man.
« Last Edit: Mar 16, 2008, 04:39 by PWHoppe »

Offline Touche

• Light User
« Reply #19 on: Mar 16, 2008, 10:51 »
From an HP perspective, the house HP's are still a great bunch of folks.

However, things are changing as far as procedures and the budget. "No Meal Neil" has been hired to reduce the overall budget here and it appears one of the first decrees was to remove the line item for buying HP's food (not that it really matters, but most of us like food  ;))

In addition, a procedure prohibiting the wearing of jewelry (watches, rings...including wedding bands, necklaces, ear rings etc) while wearing PPE...read....no jewelry in the RCA, has been instituted midstream of the outage.

In a knee-jerk reaction to an INPO concern over Susquehanna's higher-than-the-norm PCE rate, a procedure was written requiring full PC's in a CA regardless on work activity except for inspections.

These are a few examples of the mindset of upper management here and may not be a good sign for future employment here at Susquehanna :(

Cathy

« Reply #20 on: Mar 17, 2008, 07:14 »
In addition, a procedure prohibiting the wearing of jewelry (watches, rings...including wedding bands, necklaces, ear rings etc) while wearing PPE...read....no jewelry in the RCA, has been instituted midstream of the outage.
Any idea why? Did someone really think this contributed to contaminations? AND, with no watch how are you supposed to know what time it is? You are out covering a job and fire up the air sample and you put on the air sample form "started about 1500 or so and ended maybe 30 minutes later"?

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
  • HP Tech......Well Thats My Title Anyways.
« Reply #21 on: Mar 17, 2008, 07:50 »
Why these places listen to INPO is beyond me....INPO is about a useless as it gets.  Very stupid, unbelievably idiotic suggestions come out of that group.....and these plants take it all in....BTW I wanna give a shout out to the Susquehanna RP's (Bartlett and House)  Will always be one of my favorite places.  I always knew the "Budget Fever" would hit eventually...Too bad
"But I Dont Wanna Be A Pirate" - Jerry Seinfeld

Offline desertdog

• Moderate User
« Reply #22 on: Mar 17, 2008, 08:04 »
BTW I wanna give a shout out to the Susquehanna RP's (Bartlett and House)  Will always be one of my all time favorites.

Right on Bonds.  SSES was my first stop out of the Canoe Club.  I am quite appreciative of them for getting me started on the commercial side.  I always felt at home their even though I didn't live in the state.  They made sure you were taken care of and would let you go to another job if it was a better deal for you.

As for INPO and the PCE issue...  Making such a huge deal about minor skin contams that cause no measurable dose to the individual vs worrying about the true TEDE/ALARA issues portrays the wrong message to the workers.

First it needlessly scares and humiliates the workforce.  The people who will go home and spread this message to their friends and families.  How does this help our industry when we are in "The Nuclear renaissance."

Secondly and just as importantly, how much money and DOSE are we spending to limit these PCE's?  At a plant last fall (that myself and some others affectionately refer to as "The Bad Place") supervisors were having us send crews into RCP shrouds that were <10 K dpm/100cm2  wearing PC's, plastics, and faceshields to do routine fit up work.  Another supervisor in the Rad Waste Bldg was sending crews into areas with no smears > 1K dpm/100cm2 in double PC's to prevent any possible chance of the big bad PCE.

While I agree we don't want unnecessary contams and we definitely need to make a fuss about uptakes,  making a big deal about minor ones that come about due to doing real work in a nuclear plant does more harm than any perceived good.

Offline Touche

• Light User
« Reply #23 on: Mar 18, 2008, 04:12 »
Hi Cathy, watches have been deemed necessary equipment now...but still must be removed while wearing PPE...soooo folks have resorted to wearing them on their lanyard (a.k.a. a necklace, ugly and breakway but a necklace nonetheless....hehe i am evil). I believe the issue is safety related, but it has no real merit: I looked up the lost time injuries from jewelry, watches and glasses from the latest data and discovered that 40 out of ~1.2 million injuries occurred in 2006 from those causes. Obviously this "risk" doesn't warrant this procedure. More likely it is a budget issue, since they can't fire a union worker they can begin a campaign in order to make it "difficult" to work here and thus reduce the budget by getting folks to voluntarily quit...but that is just a guess.

As I understand it Bonds, (and if I am wrong someone please correct me) INPO ratings drive the public perception of the plant and more importantly the insurance classification. The better INPO rating a plant has, the lower their premiums. And, knowing human nature, it is an ego boost for the plant upper management to taunt other utilities about their poor INPO ratings.

Desertdog, well said on the adverse effects of a knee-jerk contamination control procedure.
To demonstrate how poorly they have reacted, a RWP here calls for double PC's, power visor, and bza while working in an area of general contamination >50k dpm/100cm^2   :o

I hope they get their act together, as Susquehanna was a place where the HP department was respected and trusted by the workers. Both may be in jeopardy if this type of upper management interferes with radiation protection.

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
  • HP Tech......Well Thats My Title Anyways.
« Reply #24 on: Mar 18, 2008, 07:05 »
I understand what a good INPO rating does for a plant, and I find it quite ironic that some of the worst plants I have been to were INPO 1's, while some of the best were INPO 3's.  In my eyes INPO is worthless, but I really don't care about good insurance rates.  The majority of the public think its smoke coming out of the cooling towers, so I'm pretty sure they have no idea what the hell INPO is.
"But I Dont Wanna Be A Pirate" - Jerry Seinfeld

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?