Callaway

Above Average
23 (69.7%)
Average
8 (24.2%)
Below Average
2 (6.1%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Callaway  (Read 87874 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Callaway
« on: Aug 12, 2001, 02:35 »
Don't forget to vote!
« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2007, 05:36 by Marlin »

Offline arizonie

• Light User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
Re: Callaway
« Reply #1 on: Apr 23, 2002, 10:31 »
don't bother going to fulton most of the motels are filthy.
and the drive / drivers  to the plant on 00 road are unsafe.

south on hwy 54 is holts summit, about 5 mi north of jeff city.30 + mi to callaway going the river road( hwy 94.)

the best value inn is a newer (former ramada limited)clean hotel.1 800 909-8770 .
nice fanmily owners and approx $200 wk (last outage).
call early they only rent half the hotel weekly.

kathy and her husband prefer renting to hp techs .(bni)
"JUST WIN BABY"

rubyslipper54

« Reply #2 on: Aug 27, 2002, 09:37 »
;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D
Calloway..it wont get no better..Wildwood Estates just about 2 miles north of plant.Voted to let contractors with RV's rent lots.Camp store on site.Sell beer and some decent ribeyes as well as everything in between.Full hookups,with shower facilities,fishing,hunting,ATV trails.Little redneck bar down the road that burns a pretty good burger.Call them for cost and site availability.Wildwood Estates 7233 Wildwood Dr. Steedman,MO. phone #573-676-5317 web site to check them out...www.wildwoodassociation .com  ;D

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Callaway
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2002, 07:54 »
Don't forget to vote.  Keep your comments civil.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Callaway
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2002, 08:33 »
Talk About: Callaway
« Last Edit: Jan 22, 2004, 12:40 by Rennhack »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Callaway Contracts
« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2002, 05:25 »
Please reply to this topic if you have (or know who has) a contract at this facility.  If you (they) have multiple contracts (i.e. QC & NDE) please mention all of them.  Also, please remember to post company contact information, including but not limited to company phone number, email and web site address.  Also, if there is a specific person at the company people should ask for, you should mention their name and extension. We maintain a chart of contracts, the information posted here will be added to the contract chart.

This includes any information on Local Unions!
Chart: http://www.nukeworker.com/jobs/contract_lists/

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
Re: Talk About: Callaway
« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2002, 06:12 »
[smiley=wave.gif] OK, the outage is over & the fine group of techs that came to help us are gone. How did we do in your opinion? I didn't have that much contact with many of you during the outage but did before it while building pre-outage scaffolding. Asa Wallace & Paul Pointer were the 2 I had the most contact with & I just hope you both come back next time. Nothing against any of the rest of ya'll, I just didn't have any contact.  :)

Did we do OK  ;), Really Good  =D, or do we still have a lot of room for improvement  [smiley=tp.gif]?  It's only my 3rd Nuclear Outage so what seems OK to me might not quite measure up in the rest of the industry.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

DainJer

« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2002, 11:18 »
[smiley=wave.gif] OK, the outage is over & the fine group of techs that came to help us are gone. How did we do in your opinion? I didn't have that much contact with many of you during the outage but did before it while building pre-outage scaffolding. Asa Wallace & Paul Pointer were the 2 I had the most contact with & I just hope you both come back next time. Nothing against any of the rest of ya'll, I just didn't have any contact.  :)

Did we do OK  ;), Really Good  =D, or do we still have a lot of room for improvement  [smiley=tp.gif]?  It's only my 3rd Nuclear Outage so what seems OK to me might not quite measure up in the rest of the industry.

If the scaffolding was built without anyone getting hurt badly....without destroying any plant equipment, then it was a good outage...it takes about 6 or 7 before ya realize there really isnt "good" or "bad" outages just "different" outages. ask 5 different people how the outage went you will get 5 different answers:) leaving intact always makes it a success.

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2002, 12:48 »

If the scaffolding was built without anyone getting hurt badly....without destroying any plant equipment, then it was a good outage...it takes about 6 or 7 before ya realize there really isnt "good" or "bad" outages just "different" outages. ask 5 different people how the outage went you will get 5 different answers:) leaving intact always makes it a success.

Safety-wise I think it might be our best outage yet. Last I heard we had 2 recordables, 1 company & 1 contractor.

Scaffolding went pretty smooth as far as nobody getting hurt & no plant equipment hurt by it. Still had a few who needed some coaching on wearing fall protection but I fear that problem will be around a little while. I understand the desire to get the job built & move on to the next one but the wrong fall & you're laid up for months, life, or you're dead.  :(

I appreciate the feedback Dainjer. Still new to this part of the company. Worked at a few dirt burners & some other parts of the company before going nuclear. I'm impressed by the fact that it almost seems we're a plant that just happens to be part of a larger company & there seems to be a great camraderie among fellow nukes that I didn't see at the coal plants.  It's really pretty refreshing except the Navy-way-is-the-right-way attitude that still seems prevalent on many levels. I'm still glad I ended up here, kinda wish I'd come here years ago, but that's another thread. ;D

-Bertrand Russell

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2002, 01:31 »
Don't forget to go to the "Rate a site" section and vote for them.

biloxi_blues

« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2002, 01:49 »
The house people are really nice and helpful.  Sometimes they get set in their way before the outage, but when the outage starts they are in there with ya.  The worse thing about calloway is getting to work with the roads being so curvy and the deer that you have to miss.  I know one thing the dayshift generator techs were "Pitiful"  espicially the two short ones, but other than that it was great outage and my card game has really improved.

moke

« Reply #11 on: Dec 10, 2002, 05:19 »
It's nice to hear that the folks at Callaway are nice, at the same time, I doubt if the drive into and out from the site will change in the near future. Worked at Callaway during the first refueling outage and had a blast.

Many of the "Migrant Workers" did well at the local night clubs and especially with Westminster College in full swing.

Can you still fish for bass with live Gold Fish?

Have a Great Holiday Season.

Aloha,

Moke

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
« Reply #12 on: Mar 20, 2003, 07:26 »
Here's a little more info on Wildwood straight from Brenda Avery, Office Manager at Wildwood.  

We offer full hook-ups for $500 a month or $150 a week.  Wildwood is a gated facility with one gate card key given per site.  The park offers a small general store, lakes for fishing, and a pool (open from Memorial Day - Labor Day).

If you have any other questions please contact me in the Wildwood Office at
573-676-5317, fax at 573-676-3091 or email at wloa@ktis.net  also please note our website at www.wildwoodassociation.com

The little bar just down the road is Green Acres.  573-676-5985.  

CC Store, just 2 miles down CC from the plant is under new ownership & is now S.O.C.S.  (Steedmans Only Convenience Store)  573-676-3711  They have lots available & I'll have information on that & other area lodging in the future.  

If you have any particular questions feel free to IM me, email me, or post here.  I'll do my best to get it answered for you.

-Bertrand Russell

radghost

« Reply #13 on: Apr 26, 2003, 11:00 »
Hey man, the 'river road' from Jeff city was under constr. last fall, 2002 outage, should make the long drive alot easier. They seemed to have the best of intents there as far as ALARA goes, with permanent shield racks on the loops and back flushing hot spots. They had quite a bit of problem with their power uprate and an axial offset anamoly that created some dose problems in the can but they are coming along nicely. A little behind in some respects and they could use a little more experience in the contractors  that they bring in but they get what they pay for.

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
« Reply #14 on: Apr 26, 2003, 12:54 »
Hey man, the 'river road' from Jeff city was under constr. last fall, 2002 outage, should make the long drive alot easier. They seemed to have the best of intents there as far as ALARA goes, with permanent shield racks on the loops and back flushing hot spots. They had quite a bit of problem with their power uprate and an axial offset anamoly that created some dose problems in the can but they are coming along nicely. A little behind in some respects and they could use a little more experience in the contractors  that they bring in but they get what they pay for.

The construction on Highway 94 is done and it does make the drive a lot nicer.  

Please give any suggestions you feel would help us "catch up" from being behind.  If you'd prefer to IM me that's fine.  I have no doubt that we have some catching up to do.  I know I don't have the knowledge or Nuclear experience to pick up on it all.  All help is appreciated.  I keep hearing about how at one time we were #1 in America, #2 in the World.  We may never make it back there, but I'd like to think we could.  Thanks for any help.

-Bertrand Russell

radghost

« Reply #15 on: Apr 27, 2003, 10:55 »
Dont get me wrong Nascar, you guys have an amazing track record for run time and you have a good looking plant, but from an RP stand point you guys are a little backwards.  There was a large recognition there about RP mission standards being low and the need for a better program. Being an INPO rated 3 plant (for RP) was a bit of a joke to some of the house techs, and once you get down to brass tacks an efficient RP program is one based on a strong philosophy about health physics. No written procedure or program is gonna do anybody any good without it. Made my job a little harder without a good perspective coming from the people there and it just rubbed me the wrong way.

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
« Reply #16 on: Apr 27, 2003, 12:46 »
Thanks Radghost.  I don't doubt we need to improve & appreciate any suggestions you can give me.  If anyone else has suggestions please feel free to IM me or post them here.  None of us has all the answers but between us all we can come up with the best way to do things.  I think our industry's future is going to depend on it.  Thanks for any help that anyone is able to give.

-Bertrand Russell

radghost

« Reply #17 on: Nov 10, 2003, 07:11 »
Looking to return to Callaway and the home of the Ozark Mountain Daredevils in the spring. But every time I call for outage info to BNI orifice the time frame keeps getting longer! What gives? Went from 3 wks. to 7. Also looking for the moniker of the RP supv. that did dayz s/g's last outage. tanx

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
« Reply #18 on: Nov 10, 2003, 09:11 »
I'll do my best to swing this back to on topic. While I lived at the Lake of the Ozarks one of our Doctors down there was a guy by the name of Sam Brayfield. He had a gold record in his office from when he was a member of the Ozark Mountain Daredevils.  

Now to swing it back on topic, was the RP supervisor a house supervisor? Gerry, Cary, Keith?  I'll check when I get back to work Wednesday & see if somebody knows.  PM me if you want.

-Bertrand Russell

Offline darkmatter

• Heavy Metal Poster Child
  • Heavy User
  • you don't know the power of the dark side.
« Reply #19 on: Nov 11, 2003, 09:54 »
I've worked several outages at Callaway until they became outrages. I really liked the plant, the people, and the area around the plant. I wouldn't of minded going house there if it wasn't for some of the boneheads in management. but I guess thats everywhere now. I hear you guys got the ex-RPM from Cooper, why is he the EX?
"Never underestimate the power of a Dark Klown"

Darkmatters website is no more, nada, gonzo, 
http://darkmatter.nukeworker.net.istemp.com  this will get you there, but I can't update it anymore. Maybe nukeworker will host personal sites eventully

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
« Reply #20 on: Dec 23, 2003, 05:39 »

CC Store, just 2 miles down CC from the plant is under new ownership & is now S.O.C.S.  (Steedmans Only Convenience Store)  573-676-3711  They have lots available & I'll have information on that & other area lodging in the future.  

If you have any particular questions feel free to IM me, email me, or post here.  I'll do my best to get it answered for you.

Well, CC Store has its old name and owners back.  The phone number is still 573-676-5711 and the burgers are as good as they ever were. If I find anything out on prices I'll get them posted.

-Bertrand Russell

sunshine1

« Reply #21 on: Dec 27, 2003, 02:09 »
Does anyone know who the Bartlett site super is for the spring outage?

470mopar

« Reply #22 on: Dec 27, 2003, 07:16 »
Last I heard its Milan Palmer

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
« Reply #23 on: Jan 25, 2004, 02:22 »
Extended Stay America 573-445-6800  Columbia, MO about 45 miles from the plant    $269/week-Queen Bed.  Here's a link:  http://reservations.extstay.com/extstay/dsprop.nsf/88a7c99b5a44c01085256d0c006068c0/77b1464afbbf3c9b85256c6700639bb1?OpenDocument .

Best Western     Jefferson City  573-635-4175
Talk to Dale or Jennifer. 

-Bertrand Russell

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
Re: Callaway Contracts
« Reply #24 on: Feb 02, 2004, 09:24 »
Atlantic URI has the contract for craft personnel.  Here's contact information:   

Atlantic Union Resources Inc.
 200 Cardinal Dr.
Fulton, MO 65251
Phone: (573) 592-7400
Fax: (573) 592-7440
« Last Edit: Feb 03, 2004, 06:33 by Nuclear NASCAR »

-Bertrand Russell

Offline Eric_Bartlett

• Heavy User
  • I was liberal as a youth then I had to pay taxes..
Re: Callaway Contracts
« Reply #25 on: Feb 03, 2004, 01:55 »
HP contract is handled by Bartlett - specifically Marie x1308 & Bryan x1258
800-225-0385
nuclear@bartlettinc.com
The opinions & views expressed by me are mine and mine alone and may not reflect those of the company.

bodyburden

« Reply #26 on: Feb 10, 2004, 06:47 »
It is Milan Palmer.  And last I heard, they still had a few slots open, but I'm not positive on that.

unowho

« Reply #27 on: Feb 11, 2004, 12:30 »
anyone can give the contractor for the craft at callaway? thanks

Asa1

« Reply #28 on: Feb 11, 2004, 10:57 »
Enjoyed my time there. Real good people, pretty good money, real good atmosphere towards contract techs. Lee, Cammy, Paul E., and I had a great time there before the outage. Hello to all there. Good luck for you guys' upcoming outage!

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
« Reply #29 on: Feb 11, 2004, 11:19 »
anyone can give the contractor for the craft at callaway? thanks

Ask & ye shall receive.  http://s96074428.onlinehome.us/forum/index.php?topic=1195  Many are showing up already. 

-Bertrand Russell

Prowler

New RP manager
« Reply #30 on: Mar 22, 2004, 11:43 »
I heard that there was a new RP manager down at Callaway. Can anyone confirm or deny that?
« Last Edit: Mar 22, 2004, 12:27 by Nuclear NASCAR »

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
New RP manager
« Reply #31 on: Mar 22, 2004, 12:27 »
That is correct, he got here in mid-October.

I'll move this to the Talk about Callaway thread later today when I've got more time.
« Last Edit: Mar 22, 2004, 12:28 by Nuclear NASCAR »

-Bertrand Russell

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
Re: New RP manager
« Reply #32 on: Mar 22, 2004, 11:05 »
That is correct, he got here in mid-October.

I'll move this to the Talk about Callaway thread later today when I've got more time.

Already there. RT
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
Re: New RP manager
« Reply #33 on: Mar 22, 2004, 11:42 »
Already there. RT

Thanks Roll Tide.  Appreciate the help.

To steer back on topic our new RPM has been here coming up on 6 months.  I've met him but haven't had much chance to get to know him yet.  Here's hoping for the best. 

-Bertrand Russell

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
Callaway
« Reply #34 on: Apr 08, 2004, 05:14 »
If anyone has a favorite hang out, place to shop, or local information for this area please post it here.

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
« Reply #35 on: Apr 09, 2004, 01:16 »
Good burgers real close to the plant.  Green Acres has good food, cold refreshing beverages, and even a little dance floor.  CC Store opens early during outages (so's you can pick up cold refreshing beverages after the Owl watch), has good food, and a little trailer park behind it.  S.O.B. has great burgers, some of the coldest beverages around, & sometimes even opens early after the Owl watch.  River Front Bar & Grill in Portland (near the intake) has the best burgers, fish sandwiches, & even has a couple of old pool tables.  (& cold refreshing beverages, of course)

-Bertrand Russell

Stix

« Reply #36 on: Dec 07, 2004, 06:26 »
Fulton has an Americ Inn and as of May 2004 a Holiday Inn Express.  Kingdom City (Highway 54 at I 70 ~7 miles north of Fulton) has several motels that are decent.

Offline roadhp

• Moderate User
  • Playing in the bathtub!!!
« Reply #37 on: Oct 11, 2005, 09:31 »
 ::)   It's all fun and games until someone stubs a toe, then it's a bunch of paperwork and loss of bonuses :o :'(   But let a real safety problem exist, and it's sweep it under the rug for the sake of the schedule.   >:(
Brave, brave Sir Robin, set forth from Camelot!!!!

ageoldtech

« Reply #38 on: Oct 12, 2005, 10:52 »
I’ve heard of the safety issues that have occurred out there, seems SGT was using out dated rigging and out dated crane information. This does not surprise me in the least. I refuse to work another SGT outage.

Moparmaniac

« Reply #39 on: Oct 12, 2005, 11:44 »
I heard that they had the hydraulic lines hooked up backwards on the TLD.  Did they get the Steam gennies out yet?

tonynuke

« Reply #40 on: Oct 12, 2005, 08:42 »
Old gennies are out, first new one started in today.

Offline felchie

• Light User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #41 on: Oct 13, 2005, 10:48 »
Yet another crane mishap, looks like the 2 big cranes outside the hatch
have tangled their cables, safety is checking, but should not hold up
any work. :o  This is the fourth incident with cranes/rigging, but, the schedule
looks pretty good.
 when they were lifting the first new genny, they noticed the rigging was damaged and had to set it back down
and get some new slings.

be careful all.

Cathy

« Reply #42 on: Oct 20, 2005, 09:03 »
They have all 4 new generators in now and are welding them in. The worst part of this outage is the parking. You are lucky if you get to park in the same county as the plant.

Oly

How is Her Highness?
« Reply #43 on: Oct 21, 2005, 10:33 »
 ::) Are they treatin' ya better than JA?  :D Glad to hear your gettin' closer to finished. Talk of snow this weekend, should just dust us. Say Hey to the folks for me.

Another fan coil decided to pee in the can today (U1 this time), KACHING!  :)

Cathy

« Reply #44 on: Oct 23, 2005, 05:36 »
Are you kidding? There is NO comparison to the way JA treated techs. They treat us like human beings here.... Speaking of here, I have been treated very well, no compaints. Of course, I still whine, but isn't that a requirement to be a senior??

Offline btkeele

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #45 on: Oct 24, 2005, 10:31 »
I can verify the whining!

Oly, how's the house tech life treating you?

ramdog_1

« Reply #46 on: Oct 26, 2005, 03:56 »
People Please Safety Starts with you!
it starts with Pre job driefs and planning , house keeeping and doing the job as planned.
why not fix the problem and work with the plan?
safety is everyones job at any plant .
« Last Edit: Dec 08, 2005, 09:44 by ramdog_1 »

ageoldtech

« Reply #47 on: Oct 26, 2005, 08:42 »
Yes, I agree with you ramdog, but with SGT It's Safety First unless it interferes with schedule. So be your brothers keeper and stay alive!

Offline felchie

• Light User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #48 on: Oct 27, 2005, 11:38 »
I know you will be shocked, but, there was another incident last night....
A "spud wrench" was dropped and fell about 40' striking one worker's hand
then continued down and hit a Jr RP on the back/shoulder.....lucky it didn't
hit him in the head or neck.....lucky, that is the entire safety plan here....
Lucky the cables didn't hit anyone, lucky the scaffold pole missed, lucky it wasn't
a more serious injury.....next...lucky only 1 person was killed??? :-[

yuffie_2000us

« Reply #49 on: Oct 28, 2005, 09:10 »
Amen Brother. Thank God it is almost over.

cpm

« Reply #50 on: Nov 03, 2005, 12:24 »
What is SGR project status?   Heard a rumor there has been some delays.

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
« Reply #51 on: Nov 10, 2005, 05:19 »
We're not done yet, but the end is in sight.  Thanks to all who have come in to give us a much needed helping hand.  Many of you have given us some great suggestions for improving the way we do things at Callaway.  I'm hopeful we'll be farsighted enough to implement those suggestions.  As a worker bee I'd like to say a special Thanks to the great group of Bartlett techs who came in this outage.  I know that we've presented some challenges but your help has gotten us through them very well.  I hope that your time here has been more pleasant than unpleasant.  If not, let us know what we can do to improve.

Peace,
Tom
« Last Edit: Nov 10, 2005, 05:21 by Nuclear NASCAR »

-Bertrand Russell

Moparmaniac

« Reply #52 on: Nov 14, 2005, 10:18 »
It looked like Refuel 1 version 14 yesterday.  I hope nobody got hurt in the mad rush to clear containment!  Haven't these people ever had an outage before or is their memory just that short?  Well, we'll get done on time so's the foremen can get paid for their overtime. 

ramdog_1

« Reply #53 on: Nov 14, 2005, 08:00 »
I was there in 1991 and Tom Arms was still in HP forman.
had a great time, but I had to work with some guy Named Jim Keating .. Now Dudes he had some nuke storys .
Just think of it as the SGT way when you are in Salem or out in Cally

Neon_Natalie

« Reply #54 on: Nov 14, 2005, 09:10 »
Gee, that's odd. Talked to one of the contract HP Techs there...they said all housepeople are coming in to clean up and has been normal duties for them.

Moparmaniac

« Reply #55 on: Nov 19, 2005, 09:18 »
Looks like management will get their overtime pay after all.  The breaker was closed this afternoon at 1:30 p.m.  Hope ya'll can keep it going for 18 months. 

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
« Reply #56 on: Nov 21, 2005, 09:45 »
I don't know how long it will last but we've got the new world's record for a 4 loop steam generator replacement: http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/051121/cgm039.html?.v=28

-Bertrand Russell

Moparmaniac

« Reply #57 on: Nov 21, 2005, 09:54 »
You're right Ramdog about safety being everyones job at the plant.  I believe that's the biggest reason we did as well as we did safety-wise.  I also believe that luck played a bigger part than it should have.  We've got some progress to make in our reaction to deadlines and impending goals.  However, I believe we can improve.  I know that the workers have.  We're just looking for some more walking of the walk, all the time rather than just showtime.  It's getting better but panic mode & goal fever still aren't pretty.  Containment cleanup was a good example.  Those involved know what I mean. 

Offline starving_dog

• Moderate User
  • Master of my domain
« Reply #58 on: Nov 22, 2005, 07:53 »
The signifigance of the record setting outage by the Callaway/SGT team was that it was a single unit replacement.  The STP record was set on the second unit of a dual unit replacement.

As far as safety goes, nothing slows down a schedule more than a safety occurrence.  Everybody needs to watch out for each other, we are our brother's keeper.

Excellent work by all involved and best of luck in the future.
There are the Habs, and the Hab nots.

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
« Reply #59 on: Nov 22, 2005, 11:52 »
Thanks Starving Dog.  Here's hoping for a good run to Spring 2007.

-Bertrand Russell

maggie352000

« Reply #60 on: Dec 11, 2005, 12:44 »
 :P I can tell you it was the worst outage I've ever been to. Like someone said safety went out the door  fast. They were very bonus driven. And the local craft was scary. I've been around some that have never been in a plant. But these people were scary. I've always heard about it being a great place to work. Sorry to say I probably won't be back. And the area. Don't want to talk about that. The drive everyday from Jeff City? The house techs (HP). They thought they were better than  me. And the site coordinator? Was not impressed with him either. Well, I'm done. Said my peace

Marco

« Reply #61 on: Apr 03, 2006, 04:45 »
Hi Folks,
I'm going to attend a meeting of the Professional Reactor Operator Society in Saint Louis in June. I'm going to visit Ameren`s  Callaway Plant with a group of Nuclear Operators, and I'm very keen to see how you guys run a PWR-NPP.
I'll stay one week, so I have a plenty of time to explore the night life of the Gateway City. I thought that some of you "traveling specialists" can recommend some nice places where I should go? Where are the places to be, and which locations are the absolutely "NO GO'S"? Where do I get a good beer, and where the best local food?
I'm going to stay in the Drury Inn close to the Union Station, that means downtown. Should be a good place to start up, what do you think? 8)

Thanks in advance, and all recommendations are appreciated. ;)

Check you later.......... ;D

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #62 on: Apr 03, 2006, 06:29 »
Nuclear NASCAR is from the area, he should be able to help you out, and meet you for a cold one.  Wish I could be there, it would be fun.

Offline Lorrie Henson

• Heavy User
  • Stop Talking, Just Do It!!!
« Reply #63 on: Aug 26, 2006, 05:35 »
Can anyone give me any information about this plant? 

Thanks!!

ddm502001

« Reply #64 on: Sep 01, 2006, 09:33 »
Can anyone give me any information about this plant? 

Thanks!!

Been a good place to work for most.  Just got steam generators and turbine upgrade, puts out almost 1300mw in cool weather.  Relies on Missouri river for coolant, stays too warm in summer, drops off load to 1260mw.  Clean, friendly people, good place to be.  Next couple refuels likely to be short ones, <=30 days.  Old 4 loop, SNUPPS pattern plant, twin to Wolf Creek.  Questions?

BRUSHWOLF

« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2007, 12:01 »
Good place to work.  Plant people are the best.  BNI long turmers are snobish & un helpfull to newbees.
Site cord ,M. Palmer is the best. May be the best BNI site cord I have ever worked with.  He went out of his way to help many  techs.  I would work any job with Mr. M. Palmer, any where.  Also like to add house supervisor Mike Springer, fantastic supervisor.  T. Smith

klsas

« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2007, 11:17 »
I apologize to anyone who thought I was being a snob. Technically, my first couple of outages at Callaway were with ARC and not BNI, so maybe Brushwolf's comment wasn't directed at me.

I do enjoy working Callaway. It is a clean low dose, low contam plant for the most part. A large majority of the people employed at Callaway are so laid back that you have to check their pulse every once in a while. There must be something in the water in Missouri. I have always had great crews to work with which makes it even easier to keep going back. Only two things keep Callaway from being a great place to work; 1. It isn't in Tennessee and 2. the access roads (O, CC, 94) were put down by a drunk construction crew. Night life in Fulton can't be beat.

Keith

Offline darkmatter

• Heavy Metal Poster Child
  • Heavy User
  • you don't know the power of the dark side.
« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2007, 11:32 »
The plant still hadn't reached Mode 4 on Saturday and they had laid-off all but 18 techs.  Cut the hours to 8's and are running the ones left!

Thats not just Callaway doing the early lay-offs, seems to be a industry standard now. I remember the "old days" when they'ld keep you around till the plant was up and running and all the decon and free release of tools and equipment was done. I don't understand the economics of it, but I guess thats why I'm not in management, I'm too realistic with logistics of getting a job done.
"Never underestimate the power of a Dark Klown"

Darkmatters website is no more, nada, gonzo, 
http://darkmatter.nukeworker.net.istemp.com  this will get you there, but I can't update it anymore. Maybe nukeworker will host personal sites eventully

LaFeet

« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2007, 04:57 »
 I visited there during the Feb 04 exam cycle.  Loved the area and really enjoyed my stay in Jefferson City.  Hate the drive though.... I like to be closer to the plant when she blows (off steam) :P

Offline Vanilla Xtract

• Very Lite User
« Reply #69 on: May 29, 2008, 02:55 »
This thread dead? I am trying to hire on out there as a house HP tech and was hoping to find some ideas of the current culture in the HP group.

RADBASTARD

« Reply #70 on: May 29, 2008, 11:22 »
well their next outage the may have a hard time staffing their outage.If you go there you won't be albe to go any where before or after. if you have been laid off since may and from now to feb when the next outage starts you maybe will get 4 weks in a 8 month period.That kinda SUX

radbrat

« Reply #71 on: Jun 04, 2010, 11:15 »
Whats going on at Callaway, I notice on the USA net that you've been down quite a while, need help?

Offline desertdog

• Moderate User
« Reply #72 on: Jun 07, 2010, 11:34 »
 A rod got stuck during pre-startup testing.  Rx was disassembled and investigated. Found a damaged control rod and associated guide tube. Both have been replaced.

Offline usnsubnuke

• Very Lite User
« Reply #73 on: Mar 23, 2012, 04:21 »
I was just curious as to how the atmosphere has been as Callaway in recent times?  I'm getting out of the navy next march and I'm applying to plants in the midwest.  Callaway, being that it is the closest plant to where my family is, is at the top of the list for plants I'm applying for.  Anyone that has any information or any advice it would be humbly appreciated.  Thanks.

Offline cajunbaby84

• Light User
« Reply #74 on: Mar 26, 2012, 08:24 »
I worked Callaway this past fall and really liked it there.  The people are great to work with.  It is a WE plant not a YOU and I plant.  I think you would really like it there.  The only thing I hated was the long walk into the plant every day and the wind blew all the time.. Happy job hunting.  I don't think you could go wrong at Callaway.

Offline usnsubnuke

• Very Lite User
« Reply #75 on: Dec 14, 2012, 02:42 »
Finished deployment a few weeks ago.  Does anyone know how Callaway's hiring schedule is going to work for 2013, if at all?

Offline desertdog

• Moderate User
« Reply #76 on: Dec 15, 2012, 09:59 »
They are having an outage in April.  Hiring late March.  It would be a good way to check the plant out and get your name/face in with the house people.

Bartlett has the RP contract.  800-225-0385

Offline usnsubnuke

• Very Lite User
« Reply #77 on: Dec 15, 2012, 11:37 »
Thanks a lot.  :)

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
Re: Callaway - Safety
« Reply #78 on: Apr 03, 2013, 04:35 »
Another reminder that we work in a heavy industry, when things go wrong, there is a lot of energy to cause harm...

http://www.ktts.com/news/201283171.html

I've seen videos of breaker flashes - not pretty. Hope these guys had flash gear on, and recover...
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Stix

« Reply #79 on: Feb 07, 2014, 01:11 »
If anyone is interested, the newest labor contract for Callaway site is with BHI.  This is not just RP, but all groups.  High dollar projects will still be bid separately.
« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2014, 01:19 by Stix »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?