San Onofre

Above Average
27 (29.3%)
Average
31 (33.7%)
Below Average
34 (37%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: San Onofre (SONGS)  (Read 492277 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
San Onofre (SONGS)
« on: Jul 22, 2001, 07:33 »
San Onofre! San Diego is a sometimes a tough animal to deal with. Expensive at times. The Internet has eased the process yet it's sometimes nice to have a general idea of the area.

Like many locations nationwide, there are many private homeowners who may rent a portion of there abode. This may suit some, at the same time, one may desire greater privacy.

Rental property in Oceanside, Vista and Carlsbad (North San Diego County) are generally priced lower than the San Clemente and Laguna Nigel area locations North of the San Onofre Generating Station.

There are nice apartment units throughout the area and there are some nice units at the Oceanside Harbor, Dana Point and Carsbad Ocean Front areas.

Plan well in advance to secure a reasonable rate. There are some decent trailer parks in Oceanside on the main drag of Hill Street.
Try Meadowlark Apartments West, 949-492-1831. They rent one bedroom apartments by the month that are furnished.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
San Onofre (SONGS)
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2002, 08:05 »
Don't forget to vote.  Keep your comments civil.
« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2006, 10:02 by Rennhack »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
San Onofre
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2002, 08:40 »
Talk About: San Onofre

mahalo50

Re: Rate San Onofre
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2002, 01:31 »
Don't forget to vote.  Keep your comments civil.

Haven't been there in years but loved it,  

Offline Lamont

• Light User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
Re: Talk About: San Onofre
« Reply #4 on: Apr 02, 2003, 01:52 »
Got a job there when I was 18 out of High School. Worked there 7 years. Got married and divorced and now live in Texas. Working for the V.P.'s old company.

Loved it there, learned alot there. Everyone I worked with there was GREAT...Contract and House. Ex-wife may still work there. hmmm

Missed the beach, mountains and weather. It is hard to surf in Texas.

ex-turbine_cowboy

« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2003, 04:02 »
With all the wonderful positions being posted by SCE, Has anybody ever gotten a reply or Thank You for you interest note from the HR Dept. out there?  Just my pet Peeve.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #6 on: Nov 21, 2003, 07:27 »
With all the wonderful positions being posted by SCE, Has anybody ever gotten a reply or Thank You for you interest note from the HR Dept. out there?  Just my pet Peeve.

that is a sore subject...basically, HR only notices you if your resume made it through the all-knowing Resumix software screening, even if the hiring manager has read your resume and wants to interview you. Also, the bias is towards degree-and light experience vs. lots of experience-no degree.

One should also consider that the cost of living has gone up considerably in southern Calif over the past decade, and the commutes havent gotten any shorter. Still, the plant is in great shape, and good people to work with. Keep trying!  :D

vikingfan

« Reply #7 on: Nov 22, 2003, 07:59 »
Worked out ar SONGS from about 1990- 1992. met a lot of great people out there, Moke,mark star,to name a few. worked as a decon tech working on the spent fuel rerack job. enjoyed the evenings bay the ocean. all in all the plant was agreat place to start and a great learning experience.

James Jablonski " JJ "

Offline felchie

• Light User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
Re: San Onofre
« Reply #8 on: Mar 12, 2004, 06:09 »
Just finished working an outage there and I must say it is really going downhill.  The coord (*****)
is worthless! Only got paid 11.5 hours for 12
(unpaid lunch) but if you figure the 15 minute walk in each day then traffic you are really away from home 13-14 hrs a day.  Cost of living is way high,pay is now 21 and 90 (working 5 days a week)
it is hard to bank any money there.  Oh yeah, had
a few of us get the old today notice, try to get
a refund on rent in Cal sometime!
Good luck trying to staff this Fall
« Last Edit: Mar 15, 2004, 05:47 by Roll Tide »

duke99301

« Reply #9 on: Mar 12, 2004, 09:04 »
I worked there in 88 for PSESI was a great place and had lots of fun. I miss thoses days and the people there. it was the last time I seen George winery what ever happend to him??

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #10 on: Mar 13, 2004, 02:01 »
SONGS is almost D.O.E.-like in its propensity for saying "That's just the way we do it here" when you point out potential improvements in their programs...AND there is plenty of room for improvements!

Aside from that, it's fairly nice people & decent weather, so if you can afford to just go down to get out of the snow (don't plan on saving any money!), there are worse places to spend a winter.
« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2004, 02:03 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

bikerdad

« Reply #11 on: Mar 13, 2004, 05:59 »
Besides the beautiful view of the ocean the remainder leaves a lot to ponder. The hours the cafeteria runs are humorus at best, the prices and food are utterly terrible, the walk from the parking area to the plant is beyond belief and unreasonable. The shuttle is ok...if the lady doesn't want her break at 5:45am when everyone is coming in. Going through security there is at a snails pace with most setting off something or stepping to close to the person in front of you. Prices in the area are laughable for a road tech. And those people can't even drive when it rains.

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #12 on: Mar 15, 2004, 05:48 »
Keep it clean! No personal attacks on open areas. THANKS :-[
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

randyman56

« Reply #13 on: Mar 18, 2004, 07:48 »
San Onofre, WOW I really do miss that place.  I was there for 2 years working the Decommission of unit one and working the outages.  House people treated me with great respect.  So did the site coordinator.  when I was there we contractors still treated each other like family. (i know that's hard to believe) but we did.  Remember this my friends "don't sh_t in my kitchen".  When you go to a site you are in there kitchen.  if you help them keep a clean kitchen they won't feed you sh_t.

randyman56

Offline Brigrat

• Moderate User
  • Go Chargers!
Model Plane
« Reply #14 on: Mar 30, 2004, 04:29 »
Has anybody heard any information about a model aircraft equiped with a camera crashing near San Onofre?  If this is true, let me know!

Offline Lamont

• Light User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #15 on: Apr 06, 2004, 06:19 »
Who was the Site coordinator?
I worked there from 89 to 96 and I thought they always had their puppet type coordinator there.

Sorry to hear it was bad for you. I started there and it holds alot of wonderful memories for me.

harleygirl

« Reply #16 on: Apr 08, 2004, 12:04 »
Hey randyman I miss it there with you also....

Yes it was 11.5 for 12 but then you also got to play cards at lunch unlike places that pay you 12 for 12 and do not allow any stress relieving downtime.

If you are a loner the rent will kill you financially IT IS CALIFORNIA....try sharing a place.

I still have plenty of friends working back there and most of the house techs are great people and treat you right if you do your work!!!

Really miss the volleyball on the beach after a days work...

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #17 on: Apr 08, 2004, 03:50 »
Yes it was 11.5 for 12 but then you also got to play cards at lunch unlike places that pay you 12 for 12 and do not allow any stress relieving downtime.

Of course, just up the coast, you get to play cards any time you aren't in Containment AND they pay you 12.5 for 12 (plus a meal!), but...  ;)
« Last Edit: Apr 08, 2004, 04:32 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
San Onofre
« Reply #18 on: Apr 08, 2004, 05:32 »
If anyone has a favorite hang out, place to shop, or local information for this area please post it here.

harleygirl

« Reply #19 on: Apr 09, 2004, 12:17 »
Of course, just up the coast, you get to play cards any time you aren't in Containment AND they pay you 12.5 for 12 (plus a meal!), but...  ;)

But not all plants are Diablo either.... or VC summer for that matter where the techs hang out in the bull pen playing cards or reading until the phone rang or your in time came up...at least that is how it used to be.....

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #20 on: Apr 09, 2004, 12:21 »
plus San Onofre is a much shorter drive to good sushi!  ;D

harleygirl

« Reply #21 on: Apr 09, 2004, 12:25 »
The food on the pier in San Clemente was really good too....

moke

« Reply #22 on: Apr 09, 2004, 09:51 »
San Onofre to me means two things; Dolly Parton and Great Surf.

San Onofre Beach (Old Mans) is a very special place to me since I was born to be a surfer. We shared a lot of great memories at such a great Beach and many of the staff from the Radiation Protection division participated in a Thursday Pot Luck that was awesome. This was a platform for many to socialize and where many of us excel.

Some of the names I remember are: Rick Shoenig, Glenn Henderson, Judie Posik, Robert and Micky Goodrich, Al Gray and his Family (Ryan?), Mike Hoy, Dan Gallion, Todd and Kyle Adler, Motaz Amin, Bob Corbett, Dave Corbett, Kathy Corbett, Pat Liddy, Steve Eichenberger, Rob Snyder, Dan Pritchett, Jim Hallgren, Bob Wood, Joe Christowski, Mack Grove, Bob DeGlopper, Dave Gill, (someone help me out here).  8)

At the plant, life was great. Much of what we did was done professionally yet we always found time to amuze one another. A Trojan Hard Hat to the infamous Hard Hat sinage and decor the Unit control points saw many an interesting conversation and laughs! At Unit 1, the intensity level would elevate regularly.

Southern California Edison did much to pioneer the Hot Particle subject matter and they along with Battelle PNNL staff helped solved many of the identification and detection techniques that allowed us to get a good handle on the jobs we would supervise. I my case, I spent lots of time with Zone III Hot Particle work & around 20,000 R/hr ICI s or Resin Transfers with Rob from PAC NUC! T

The planning office and such did a great job too, and San Onofre was the first to computerize their access control, planning and work request systems.

We were a pioneer at Spent Fuel Transshipment and wrote the book regarding hot particle detection and associated control measures that many use today. Dr. Eric Golden, Richard Warnock, Terry Cooper, Tosh and other staff were ICRP 106! Fegetaboutit!

I miss Pedros Tacos in San Clemente and Juanita's in Leucadia. The Swamis Surf Spot is one of the best in the world and North San Diego county was great. I don't miss the I-5 traffic yet the Southern California weather is hard to beat!

Spent many great moments with many folks there and some of the finest in our business have walked through those turnstyles!

Have an Awesome Week!

Moke

Offline felchie

• Light User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #23 on: Apr 26, 2004, 10:43 »
The bottom line is still net income after the outage (to me anyway) perhaps I was out of line with the coord comment, I just don't like to sugar-coat things.
The work wasn't that bad, typical outage stuff and they have their way of doing things......
However, unless the pay/diem goes up, hours go to 6-12's (not 11.5 for 12) it just doesn't make good
fiscal sense to go there vs better paying/higher net
takehome after all expenses are paid.
I will miss the area, a lot of fun....beach, TJ, perfect 10 women in Ralph's grocery wearing very little :P

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #24 on: Dec 26, 2004, 06:16 »
ok.....who left the elephant trunk in the S/G before startup?!!?

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?