Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu How do I get to San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station?  

Author Topic: How do I get to San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station?  (Read 20726 times)

kydron

The navy nuclear coordinators got a plant tour scheduled tomorrow at SONGS. Does anyone know the exit off the I-5 Im supposed to take? Finally I get a tiny glimpse of what this is all about. Thanks.

Offline azkidd

• RP Tech (Housemouse)
  • Moderate User
  • We Nationalize Banks!!
Re: How do I get to San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 11, 2006, 10:33 »
I want to say it is the same exit as Camp Pendleton North Gate.  However, It is a few miles South of San Clemente, and a few miles North of Camp Pendleton.  There will be a sign saying SONGS this exit, in the vicinity.  Make sure you are on I-5 while taking these directions

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #2 on: Apr 11, 2006, 11:31 »
Christianitos Road
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

kydron

« Reply #3 on: Apr 11, 2006, 11:45 »
Thanks guys Im excited already for tomorrow. Hopefully Ill learn a thing or two.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #4 on: Apr 12, 2006, 12:29 »
You'll have better luck if you turn at Basilone Road. Cristianitos is a tad farther north. At Basilone, you'll see the tops of the dome just over the road. Park in Lot 4, it has a nice ocean view.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #5 on: Apr 12, 2006, 03:15 »
Once again you are correct!!!
Christianitos Rd is the exit to the North gate of Pendelton.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #6 on: Apr 13, 2006, 10:13 »
usta be that yude get off at san clemente, go south and have a burger at big helen's bar and restaurant, then continue south until the big concrete domes wood hyde the vue of the ocean.  make a right 'n park at the flagpole.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline azkidd

• RP Tech (Housemouse)
  • Moderate User
  • We Nationalize Banks!!
« Reply #7 on: Apr 13, 2006, 10:33 »
Once again, you are correct.  However, we left work at 6:00 am, stopped at Big Helens for Red Beer and eggs, then went to bed for the next Night Shift!!  Jackie......ohhhh what a dream...

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #8 on: Apr 14, 2006, 03:25 »
kydron, how did the tour go?

kydron

« Reply #9 on: Apr 14, 2006, 06:36 »
I have to say I did enjoy it although I wish it was actually In-Plant, we just went to different rooms around their training facility and there were small demos spread around different classrooms (this was all after a long powerpoint on the basics of nuclear power). Nevertheless, I did at least got a better idea of how the whole process goes. The coolest part was the control room simulator where there were old guys(compared to myself being 20) training on different scenarios. The only thing I kinda didnt like was that the tour guy kept mentioning how you'll make 6 figures if you become a licensed operator, and from what I have gathered here thats not really the case? I mean Im just trying to be realistic. Anyways It was fun and it just made me want to ship out and start my schooling already.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #10 on: Apr 14, 2006, 07:23 »
plenty of money to be made there...it just doesnt keep up with cost of living!

I'm not sure if any tours go to any part of the plant anymore, I used to do Saturday Boy Scout merit badge tours, but that was eons ago

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #11 on: Apr 14, 2006, 01:10 »
I have made 6 figures as a licensed operator (with much OT), and we aren't far from the time where every licensed operator will make 6 figures. If it is justified by TVA, everyone will have to do it!
« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2006, 01:26 by Roll Tide »
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

M1Ark

« Reply #12 on: Apr 14, 2006, 01:24 »
I've made six figures every year I've been a licensed operator starting in 1997.

Fermi2

« Reply #13 on: Apr 14, 2006, 02:38 »
The only year I haven't made 6 figures in this industry was 1990 and I was in NLO training for 6 months that year, and Navy the other 6 months.

Mike

fridayfred3p

« Reply #14 on: Oct 02, 2006, 02:00 »
Of Everyone who are saying they make six figures, how many of your have a college degree?

Offline Imaginos

• Moderate User
« Reply #15 on: Oct 02, 2006, 03:26 »
Having a college degree has little to no bearing on one's capacity to make $100K+ in commercial nuclear power, and not just in Operations.
"I'm not quiet; I just don't demand to be heard." ---George Harrison

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #16 on: Oct 02, 2006, 04:18 »
Got one (B.S), but not required for my position.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?