San Onofre

Above Average
27 (29.3%)
Average
31 (33.7%)
Below Average
34 (37%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: San Onofre (SONGS)  (Read 492276 times)

vikingfan

Re: San Onofre (SONGS)
« Reply #50 on: Aug 25, 2006, 08:21 »
I remember one of franks most famous comments was " if you dont do your job there's 200 mexicans on the hill waiting to take your job" or something to that effect. may  not be the most politically sensitive but he could always get your attention. or standing out on his balcony yelling and demeaning someone in front of a few hundred people at shift change.

Offline incrediblehulk

• Moderate User
  • Dum vivimus, vivamus!!
« Reply #51 on: Aug 25, 2006, 11:05 »
"Son, there's 200 Marines out there outside the fence who would shoot you  to get your job if I asked them, so why should I listen to this conversation?"

- Frank circa 1992
Life is short. That is all there is to say. Get what you can from the present - thoughtfully, justly.
                               - Marcus Aurelius

Liberty is never unalienable. It must be redeemed regularly with the blood of patriots or it always vanishes.
                          -R.A. Heinlein

Offline lauriema19

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #52 on: Apr 06, 2007, 10:57 »
I too was there during Frank H. era 1990-1994.  That is where I got started in this business.  He hired me as a Dosimetry clerk.  Those were the good old days at Songs.  Had the great time out there and met a great bunch of people.   

Offline justme

• Moderate User
« Reply #53 on: Apr 06, 2007, 01:46 »
Heard the pay is down there, 19 per hour and 80 a day.  Any truth to that?
It is what it is!

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #54 on: Apr 06, 2007, 05:50 »
There are different rates for outages and for the Unit 1 Long-termers.  If the U1 gang is getting 18/hr it is actually UP.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Evilpixie

« Reply #55 on: Apr 06, 2007, 06:21 »
I too was there during Frank H. era 1990-1994.  That is where I got started in this business.  He hired me as a Dosimetry clerk.  Those were the good old days at Songs.  Had the great time out there and met a great bunch of people.   

I got my start as a dosimetry clerk down there, too.  1989.  That was such a fun outage!  Parties out at Bedrock or on the pier in San Clemente... and there are so many great peops working there!  I really loved it down there.

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
« Reply #56 on: Apr 06, 2007, 06:34 »
Heard the pay is down there, 19 per hour and 80 a day.  Any truth to that?

I was there for the last outage (Dec. 06).  $23/hr and $100/day with a $1/hr bonus (Yipeeeee!!)

I think that was my...5th...maybe 6th outage there.  I too was there when Frank H. was there, just a sweetheart of a guy! ;)

Love the plant and the people, I'll be back when the pay goes up.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline lauriema19

• Light User
« Reply #57 on: Apr 06, 2007, 08:48 »
Hey Evilpixie, were you there when I started?

Offline Lamont

• Light User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #58 on: Apr 27, 2007, 05:19 »
I started there in 89 left there in 95...I am sure I have met all of the people who have posted here if they were there during that time.

Loved the place...Just a wee 18 year old tot when they threw me in. Frank H. was a scary dude to me back then.

From the descriptions in these replies, I think I could guess some of you by your user names.

Everyone there was great!! Even my Ex-wife...(that took alot hehehe)

vikingfan

« Reply #59 on: Apr 28, 2007, 10:07 »
Spent almost 2 years there, was part of the unit 2&3 rerack team. was a great palnt to get my start at ! now 17 years later i'm still playing in reactor water !!..lol gotta love it.

JJ

Offline Lorrie Henson

• Heavy User
  • Stop Talking, Just Do It!!!
Re: San Onofre
« Reply #60 on: Apr 29, 2007, 08:48 »
Thank you SloGlo!! 

If we end up going there, that's the route I'll take.   I am a bit confused as to when the outage is to start, as two different sites have the start date a month apart.  I would guess that Bartlett's is correct, since they have the HP contract, but not sure...I'll have to call to find out and to see if the pay has gone up since Jim was there last.   I'm not too sure I want to be away from home at Christmas, know what I mean?

Thanks again!!
Lorrie

Evilpixie

« Reply #61 on: Apr 30, 2007, 08:16 »
Hey Evilpixie, were you there when I started?

I was there from August 1989 to November 1989.  I was on nights, also.  Most of the time, at least.  Some of the time over at Unit 1, then also in the cage at Unit 2&3.  What about you?  If you really started in 1990, we may have missed each other... bummer!

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
Re: San Onofre
« Reply #62 on: May 03, 2007, 02:19 »
They are having a forced outage before the refuel outage.  I believe that they are trying to do the forced one with the house and limited carnie techs that are already there.  The Bartlett date should be the one to go on for the refuel outage.

Expensive to live and low pay but I have heard rumors of a slight increase for this fall, would have to confirm that with the office or Jim.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

jblunt92482

Finding out about SONGS
« Reply #63 on: Aug 08, 2007, 12:30 »
Hello to all.  I'm currently in the process of getting hired at SONGS as an operator.  I'm at the interview stage of the application process.  If there are any SONGS operators who see this thread, I'm trying to find out what the morale is on the plant site.  Does the plant run well?  What's it like on a typical day or night of standing watch?  Do people like what they do?  What is working in the union like?

Thanks for your help and honesty!!

« Last Edit: Aug 08, 2007, 04:20 by jblunt92482 »

Offline tr

• Moderate User
Re: Finding out about SONGS
« Reply #64 on: Aug 08, 2007, 01:41 »
While not an operator, I do work at SONGS.  Since I'm not in Ops, I can't really give you any info as to how they feel or are treated.  Currently, the plant is struggling (INPO 3 rating, long outages, etc.).   This means that there are management, process, and culture changes underway.  While the preceding looks bad, most of the people I encounter seem to enjoy working here (as much as any job can be enjoyed), and you can't beat the weather. 

Marvin

« Reply #65 on: Aug 10, 2007, 01:04 »
I was there from January 87 through January 89, first with Rad Services, then with SCE during the flea years.  I learned a lot at San Onofre and have fond memories (funny how we seem to forget the tough things over the years).

Great place to work, great people and the California weather is great; however, the 20 million plus people in southern California can be a bit much.   ;D

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #66 on: Aug 10, 2007, 03:06 »
i owuz at song from '80- 81 with combustion engineering during there s/g u-tube outage.  got their befour boone barret did.  left not too long after.  plant wuzant too bad, dooley mccluskeys place was ok, but dat whether................. so fricken boring!
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #67 on: Aug 13, 2007, 12:23 »
Hello to all.  I'm currently in the process of getting hired at SONGS as an operator.  I'm at the interview stage of the application process.  If there are any SONGS operators who see this thread, I'm trying to find out what the morale is on the plant site.  Does the plant run well?  What's it like on a typical day or night of standing watch?  Do people like what they do?  What is working in the union like?

While I enjoy working at SONGS I have to admit that there has always been a tradition of distrust and always having to look over your shoulder. This is a general statement based on my experiences there in HP from around 94 off and on until the last outage. There are some wonderful people that work there but they have some real work to do to build the team. I can not speak for Ops as I am not a part of that department but I always got the impression that it was a problem with the site and not just HP.

These things are very hard to get over once they have set roots. In my opinion (and this is all just one persons opinion) there are some very good management folks there that seem to be commited to facilitating the change. I am optimistic that it will get better with time and hard work and would not discourage anyone from taking on the challenge, it won't always be this way.

As a contractor you have to take my opinions for what they are, I don't work there year round, I only observe in snap shots. For all the bad that people in my field say about the site (poor morale, low pay etc.) I find myself enjoying the plant and am only hesitent about going back because of the money and only the money.  The area is not as great as people say due to the immense volumes of people that live in the area, I personally don't care much for that part of California compared to the mid-coast but again, that is an opinion.

Good luck, sounds like you have a good opportunity.
« Last Edit: Aug 13, 2007, 12:27 by Bat Man »
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Arkane

« Reply #68 on: Aug 13, 2007, 05:48 »

Hi.  Are you applying for the ANPEO position?  I just took the MASS/POSS test this past weekend.  I'm anxiously awaiting the results.  If I pass then the knowledge test is in 2 weeks.  Any pointers on the interview? ;) Feel free to PM if you want.

jb807

« Reply #69 on: Aug 23, 2007, 03:44 »

any news yet about the job?  I took the MASS/POSS exam back in May when they first posted the job opening but I didn't do quite as good on the knowledge exam.  Just figured they would have hired someone by now.  Curious to hear how the interview/hiring process works after passing the exams.

Arkane

« Reply #70 on: Aug 28, 2007, 08:11 »
You should call to schedule a re-test.  I took the knowledge exam this past Saturday.  They were also doing another round of MASS/POSS testing.  I'm guessing in two weeks there should be another knowledge exam scheduled.

jb807

« Reply #71 on: Aug 28, 2007, 10:32 »
You should call to schedule a re-test.  I took the knowledge exam this past Saturday.  They were also doing another round of MASS/POSS testing.  I'm guessing in two weeks there should be another knowledge exam scheduled.

haha.  yeah, I actually retook the knowledge exam this past Saturday also.  I was the first one done if you happen to remember.  I got a phone call sunday night saying i passed and now have an interview tomorrow (Wednesday).  talking to other people at the test they said they heard that SCE does a mass hiring of ANPEO's like twice a year. 

weirjf

« Reply #72 on: Aug 30, 2007, 02:30 »
jb807 : What did you use to study for the knowledge Exam? I have the links for their booklets on thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, physics, basic math: did you use anything else? I just Failed the knowledge exam and am trying to re-take it and was wondering what I could use to study.

jb807

« Reply #73 on: Aug 30, 2007, 02:55 »
I only used the study guide that was given at the westrain.org site.  I didn't really study the material at all the first time i took the test which is why i failed.  I skimmed through the study guides for about an hour before taking the test the 2nd time and I guess that helped since I passed.  both tests I took were very similar so now that you've taken it once you should know what kind of stuff you need to look at in the study guides. 

Arkane

« Reply #74 on: Aug 30, 2007, 05:33 »
Yeah, same thing here. I got the call Sunday night and had my interview on Tuesday. I can't believe we have to wait a month before we hear anything. It's killing me. Do you know approximately how many ANPEOs they're looking to hire this time around? 

weirjf: The westrain study material is all you need.. it's actually very comprehensive.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?