San Onofre

Above Average
27 (29.3%)
Average
31 (33.7%)
Below Average
34 (37%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: San Onofre (SONGS)  (Read 493412 times)

weirjf

Re: San Onofre (SONGS)
« Reply #75 on: Aug 30, 2007, 07:02 »
Yeah, same thing here. I got the call Sunday night and had my interview on Tuesday. I can't believe we have to wait a month before we hear anything. It's killing me. Do you know approximately how many ANPEOs they're looking to hire this time around? 

weirjf: The westrain study material is all you need.. it's actually very comprehensive.
I've studied fuid mechanics ch.1-2, but I still need to study ch.3 as well as thermodynamics: another reason why I probably failed. I really want to pass the test! Even if I don't get hired it will just make me feel so much better knowing that I can pass it: hearing that jb807 passed after having failed it once makes me feel better. I know someone who works there and I think It would just be such a step-up from my current job.

nuelemma

« Reply #76 on: Sep 25, 2007, 08:36 »
Have anyone received any news from Edison for the ANPEO position ??? I also had the interview a month ago and the waiting is killing me.
« Last Edit: Sep 25, 2007, 11:14 by nuelemma »

jb807

« Reply #77 on: Sep 26, 2007, 01:02 »
nothing yet.  expecting the letter in the mail this week with the yay or nay  :D

jb807

« Reply #78 on: Sep 29, 2007, 05:39 »
well, nothing in the mail today so I guess they were a little off when they said we'd get something by the end of September.   :(

Offline flamatrix99

• Moderate User
  • I really dig you Sir...
« Reply #79 on: Sep 29, 2007, 08:08 »
When I got hired at River Bend, I interviewed in June didnt hear anything til August and finally got an offer letter in Sept and started in Jan. I know it is a pain but patience....

Doug

Arkane

« Reply #80 on: Oct 02, 2007, 01:40 »
<sigh> this is the third test.. to see how much waiting one can endure. :D

Offline xobxdoc

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #81 on: Oct 09, 2007, 09:30 »
I really miss Songs. It was my 1st job off the boat. Worked for Rad Services when Zdrakas was coordinator. I got to do the beach survey. I hear it has changed. Too bad. Spent many Thurdays after work playing volleyball until the sunset and then on to Sonny's for dinner. I hear the Fishtail doesn't exist anymore. A lot of great memories there. Operating at CCNPP now.

montanamike

« Reply #82 on: Mar 19, 2008, 11:57 »
I currently work at SONGS and worked there for 31 years. I have been management 3 times and been a UWUA local 246 member for last 28 years. this plant is in serious trouble at this time being inpo 3 and heading to inpo 4(my opinion)  the new VP wants to keep his Operators and dump the company's union members in favour of temp contactors. They seem unable to change the way they do business. It will be a sad day to see them go to inpo 4 and perhaps have turn the plant over to some else to run. There is a total lack of respect for the employee's now not like the old days when there was a feeling of team spirit. Now I just look forward to retiring,
truely a sad way to finish a career.  :(

deanferraro82

« Reply #83 on: Apr 15, 2008, 01:36 »
I just started as an AHPT at SONGS and really enjoy it. My class of AHPTs is a great group of people. ;D
There seems to be a lot of negativity towards SONGS on this forum.
I understand some may not have a great opinion of SONGS, but I feel those people are just biased towards California to begin with. Being a native Californian, I left and went to college back east. Some people there (Pittsburgh-area) seemed to be either jealous or outright disrespectful when they found out where I grew up. It's kinda weird.
Whatever though... I'd rather be part of the solution, by working hard, and getting SONGS's INPO rating back to where it belongs(#1).
Honestly, a nuke plant on the beach, with great waves, perfect weather, and low carbon emissions... sounds solid to me. See you during the next refueling outage... :P

Offline xobxdoc

• Moderate User
« Reply #84 on: Apr 15, 2008, 04:48 »
Just wait until you try to buy a house within reasonable commuting distance on an HPs salary.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #85 on: Apr 15, 2008, 06:54 »
and getting SONGS's INPO rating back to where it belongs(#1).

Nothing short of a large alien mothership using a tractor beam to abduct the K-50 and OCC buildings while occupied would reverse the current 10 degree down bubble on SONGS INPO rating.

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
« Reply #86 on: Apr 16, 2008, 10:08 »
I just started as an AHPT at SONGS and really enjoy it. My class of AHPTs is a great group of people. ;D
There seems to be a lot of negativity towards SONGS on this forum.
I understand some may not have a great opinion of SONGS, but I feel those people are just biased towards California to begin with. Being a native Californian, I left and went to college back east. Some people there (Pittsburgh-area) seemed to be either jealous or outright disrespectful when they found out where I grew up. It's kinda weird.
Whatever though... I'd rather be part of the solution, by working hard, and getting SONGS's INPO rating back to where it belongs(#1).
Honestly, a nuke plant on the beach, with great waves, perfect weather, and low carbon emissions... sounds solid to me. See you during the next refueling outage... :P

One of the biggest drivers for the negative feelings toward SONGS where road techs are concerned is the fact that you just can't make any money at this plant. I have been there many times and even the last two outages. The last one I worked in the fall of 2007 I actually left site with less money than when I showed up. I would have been better off to stay home and collect unemployment.
While I agree that the weather is nice, the waves are great and the view from the turb-deck is nice...NONE of that pays my bills and that is why we are there.

I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #87 on: Apr 16, 2008, 10:23 »
Nobody works at SONGS to make money.  They work there because they want to live there (or within an hour or two).  The long-tern contractors forsake even the meager pay that the outage contractors get.  And the outage crowd only comes because there is nothing else happening and the place rocks.  It is like a paid vacation for the roadies.

Look forward to this fall, when they will be having their outage during the actual outage season.  They are either going to come up with some $$$$$ or be really hard up for people.

Still, I miss that place a lot.  It was such a great place to be.  The memory of those two outages I worked there holds a special place in my heart.  I really wish I could go back.  The people, the weather, the atmosphere, the view, the attitude, the food... Too bad about the money.
« Last Edit: Apr 18, 2008, 05:50 by BeerCourt »
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

deanferraro82

« Reply #88 on: May 07, 2008, 09:00 »
Yeah money is definitely an issue, but it is California. Honestly though what job pays you exactly what you want? Jobs usually pay just enough to keep you around. As a full-time employee Edison, has a sweet benefits package, that helps alot... do contractors at SONGS get anything close to what Edison employees get?
I also heard welders are in short supply too...

deanferraro82

BEST FOOD Near SONGS???
« Reply #89 on: May 07, 2008, 09:06 »
Where are the best places to go eat near SONGS? Any discounts? Best Mexican? Best pizza? Best burger joint? Cheapest?

We like our cafeteria BUT... the selection gets old. It's nice to get out to town to grab a bite to eat. Where do you go?

I like Pedro's Tacos, S.ECR (the one on N.ECR has markedly crappier quality, like using old oil, etc.). The rolled tacos, bean and cheese burrito, and carne asada burrito are tasty :P. Moderate prices.

Offline tr

• Moderate User
Re: BEST FOOD Near SONGS???
« Reply #90 on: May 07, 2008, 09:38 »
El Mariachi for Mexican, Mr. Pete for burgers and chicken tenders, Fatburger for burgers, Mandarin Garden for Chinese, and Sonny's for Italian are all good.

PS If you like the cafeteria, you must not be on the Mesa!

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #91 on: May 08, 2008, 10:07 »
Molly Blooms
The Rib Trader
The two places on the pier are good too.  Try the local lobster - it is really different from what we get out this way.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #92 on: Jul 10, 2008, 09:26 »
Yeah money is definitely an issue, but it is California. Honestly though what job pays you exactly what you want? Jobs usually pay just enough to keep you around. As a full-time employee Edison, has a sweet benefits package, that helps alot... do contractors at SONGS get anything close to what Edison employees get?
I also heard welders are in short supply too...

Plants that pay me what I want...Diablo Canyon

Plants that pay me a satisfactory wage for the area...DC Cook, Cooper, Palo Verde (now that they have upped the wage and hours).

HP Contractors at SONGS are financally abused compared to other plants. I was there last fall and the compensation difference between contractors and Edison was in the neighborhood of 50% more for Edison if you consider the benefits. Or $12/hour more for Edison RP's compared to Contract RP's. But the good news is that for your $12/hour less, you get to be the one in the cavity, or covering what ever hot job is going on.

It is very unfortunate for me since I like to work there. I will be skipping it this fall and in the future unless something changes.

I will say that I like the house RP's there and some of the best house assistant RP's I have worked with. If the assistants are a glimpse of the future RP department, it looks pretty good.

You would think paying such a small group (RP) a reasonable wage would be a good investment to attract a consistantly good group of contractors. Works for other plants.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

workinman

« Reply #93 on: Jul 11, 2008, 04:22 »
Brett, I can remember when the Union laborers were making more than we were as Senior Techs!  I too miss the good times had at SONGS but it never was a big money maker!

PK

spciesla

« Reply #94 on: Jul 12, 2008, 10:33 »
My opinion on food choices:

Mexican - La Siesta (Carnitas by the pound), Surfin' Chicken, Pedros, Wahoos
Chinese - Mandarin Garden
Burgers - Fatburger, Mr Petes
Seafood - The Fisherman (Pier)

I almost always choose the lunch truck (Gaby's) over the cafeteria.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #95 on: Jul 12, 2008, 11:44 »
Brett, I can remember when the Union laborers were making more than we were as Senior Techs!  I too miss the good times had at SONGS but it never was a big money maker!

PK

You don't have to think back too far.  They still do in the Exelon plants and many others.  I'm not sure, but I'm thinking they still are at SONGS too.

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #96 on: Jul 12, 2008, 03:05 »

PK

Hey PK! We were laughing and talking about you at Diablo. Something about a picture that was taken at a party in San Diego? Those were the days for sure. Hope all is well brother!
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

workinman

« Reply #97 on: Jul 14, 2008, 09:06 »
Hey PK! We were laughing and talking about you at Diablo. Something about a picture that was taken at a party in San Diego? Those were the days for sure. Hope all is well brother!

Ah yes! The infamaous "Tea Bag"

Things are good here at Calhoun but it's still not the Beach bro!

rekrowekun

« Reply #98 on: Aug 10, 2008, 09:54 »
After I badged in, the supervisor sent me to the intake to change out the seals, I looked over into the intake and there were real live seals swimming around down there!

Offline Droshen

• Light User
applicant asks: hours, overtime, days off, what's it like??
« Reply #99 on: Sep 17, 2008, 08:51 »
I'm scheduled for POSS test soon for San Onofre (SONGS) location as ANPEO.  Other than stating wages are $27/hr and 12hr rotating shift, very little info available.  Sounds like a good job, but wanted more info.  Days off?  Hours per week?  overtime?  Exactly what is the schedule?  Average hours per week?  vacations?  inside concrete structure 12 hours tough? What are wages when you become NPEO?    Much thanks in advance, Droshen.......... 

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?