San Onofre

Above Average
27 (29.3%)
Average
31 (33.7%)
Below Average
34 (37%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: San Onofre (SONGS)  (Read 494448 times)

Offline MeterSwangin

• Moderate User
  • Somebody get decon!
Re: San Onofre (SONGS)
« Reply #225 on: Aug 23, 2009, 07:28 »
I am very familiar with this.  Some of my surveys were subpoenaed as evidence.  Sorry, even this baseless suit can not justify the directives issued as described.

SONGS has a solid RP program now which contains virtually no residue from the hot particle problems of the 1980s or the B.S. lawsuits of the 1990s.

And I don't know what you are talking about with this PerCon nonsense.  SONGS went from 250-some PerCons a few outages ago to 43 last outage.  Standard good-program stuff...worker behavior improvements, decon, new clean PCs, etc.  No rocket science, no nutty plastics and respirators overreaction.  No silly "directives."  stop making stuff up.

Offline MeterSwangin

• Moderate User
  • Somebody get decon!
« Reply #226 on: Aug 25, 2009, 12:29 »
It is very clear MS that you do not take knocks against the home plant well.  That is understandable. Heck, I still defended the Giants against slams from Dodger fans when the Giants were on their way to a 100-loss season.

I will try not to antagonize you again by pointing out shortcomings at SONGS.  But, I do not make this stuff up as you implied.  I have worked many outages at SONGS, although I admit the last one was back in '07.  I have seen the RP program in action first hand, up close, and very personal.

I am not alone either.  I do not believe desertdog was making stuff up when on 03/17/08 he wrote in reference to SONGS (by the way, there is no mention of a respirator):

“Secondly and just as importantly, how much money and DOSE are we spending to limit these PCE's?  At a plant last fall (that myself and some others affectionately refer to as "The Bad Place") supervisors were having us send crews into RCP shrouds that were <10 K dpm/100cm2  wearing PC's, plastics, and faceshields to do routine fit up work.  Another supervisor in the Rad Waste Bldg was sending crews into areas with no smears > 1K dpm/100cm2 in double PC's to prevent any possible chance of the big bad PCE.
While I agree we don't want unnecessary contams and we definitely need to make a fuss about uptakes,  making a big deal about minor ones that come about due to doing real work in a nuclear plant does more harm than any perceived good.”

I understand SONGS is improving, and that is a good thing.  This industry needs all sites to operate at their full potential.  But it is not healthy to live in denial.

It was good of you clarify that the bad stuff you cited did not happen at SONGS.

Offline desertdog

• Moderate User
« Reply #227 on: Aug 25, 2009, 11:32 »

It was good of you clarify that the bad stuff you cited did not happen at SONGS.

I'm not sure how you gleaned that from Mutant's response. I suppose it goes with strong tendencies of denial when faced with a situation of which you are uncomfortable with confronting honestly. I would think this tendency would need to be turned around so that the plant could improve in performance to deserve a higher rating.  I wish you good luck in this endeavor.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #228 on: Aug 26, 2009, 09:22 »
IMO, there may be a few explanations for the string of responses by MS when faced with the truth about SONGS:
MS would make a great Cub fan.

Now that's funny. (Sorry, Marlin.)
« Last Edit: Aug 31, 2009, 11:42 by RDTroja »
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
« Reply #229 on: Aug 26, 2009, 04:24 »
I'm not sure how you gleaned that from Mutant's response. I suppose it goes with strong tendencies of denial when faced with a situation of which you are uncomfortable with confronting honestly. I would think this tendency would need to be turned around so that the plant could improve in performance to deserve a higher rating.  I wish you good luck in this endeavor.

Exactally! Your a wordsmith dd ;D

One of the biggest challenges SONGS has had is that they believe THEY are the ones with it all figured out. Their arrogance has always been amazing! Yet they slip farther and farter down. Step one: Admit you have a problem and need help.

I have been to little ole boilers down south and in the mid-west basically run by local farmers converted to nuke workers or doing each part time. Their RP programs would make SONGS green with envy if they had any sense about them. Nope, were doing it right and everyone else is wrong.

I hear they are getting better and that is great, I look forward to opinions about how the SGR went.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline MeterSwangin

• Moderate User
  • Somebody get decon!
« Reply #230 on: Aug 26, 2009, 09:28 »
One of the biggest challenges SONGS has had is that they believe THEY are the ones with it all figured out. Their arrogance has always been amazing!

That opinion is badly out of date.

Four years ago the site was subjected to 16 hour sessions with the Site VP.  Took him all summer to do.  We got buttons that simply said "I am convinced."

Convinced that the industry bar had moved, but SONGS had not.  Metrics mostly low, standards no longer best-of, performance below average.  Convinced things needed to change.  Convinced into humility.

A sad part of moving from humility to change to renewed pride is all the uninformed, ignorant opinions flung about by knuckleheaded travelers who 1) haven't been there in years, and 2) are self-appointed experts on how to do what they have sworn to never do....lead.

Offline Longtime Nuke

• Light User
« Reply #231 on: Aug 26, 2009, 09:42 »
I have also worked at San Onofre recently and agree that the site very openly recognizes the need to change and shook the "arrogance" thing several years ago. 

Been there lately?  Really sweeping change...getting good everywhere.  Especially chemistry, RP, security and (lately) training.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #232 on: Aug 27, 2009, 07:43 »
That opinion is badly out of date.

Four years ago the site was subjected to 16 hour sessions with the Site VP.  Took him all summer to do.  We got buttons that simply said "I am convinced."

Convinced that the industry bar had moved, but SONGS had not.  Metrics mostly low, standards no longer best-of, performance below average.  Convinced things needed to change.  Convinced into humility.

A sad part of moving from humility to change to renewed pride is all the uninformed, ignorant opinions flung about by knuckleheaded travelers who 1) haven't been there in years, and 2) are self-appointed experts on how to do what they have sworn to never do....lead.

Quite a bit of arrogance and ignorance to be flung around by such a humble individual.

You just proved it didn't work even a little bit. Talking the talk is pure BS. Walk the walk and get back to us later when you really have it figured out.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #233 on: Aug 27, 2009, 06:54 »
Fall below that 7 mg/cm2 skin threshold much?

I gotta remember that one - I can just see the blank looks it will cause.... ;)
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline MeterSwangin

• Moderate User
  • Somebody get decon!
« Reply #234 on: Aug 31, 2009, 11:20 »
Very recently, SONGS has made a huge overt step towards improving overall performance.  Edison has broken the strangle hold that Bechtel has had on the site over the past 35 or so years.  There is a new body broker, Shaw/S&W.  Let the scrambling begin!

You have to wonder if SONGS is headed the way of Comanche Peak. 

Today the Bechtel craft traded in their yellow hardhats for the new Shaw hats....light powder blue.  Too relieved to still have jobs to bitch much about the seriously gay looking PPE....yet.

Offline perdeim

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #235 on: Sep 06, 2009, 05:24 »
Can  anyone please tell me if Bartlett is still at SONGS ? they do not list it on there website .

Thanks

Offline perdeim

• Very Lite User
« Reply #236 on: Sep 06, 2009, 06:10 »
Does anyone have info on phone number for NSS ?

Thanks For the info

Offline perdeim

• Very Lite User
« Reply #237 on: Sep 06, 2009, 07:27 »
 Thanks Mutant you really had me , NSS was a good company just hoping they would come back just a dreamer i guess .

Offline MeterSwangin

• Moderate User
  • Somebody get decon!
« Reply #238 on: Sep 06, 2009, 11:47 »
Thanks Mutant you really had me , NSS was a good company just hoping they would come back just a dreamer i guess .

If you have any questions about working at San Onofre just ask here.

There are several pundits lurking who have not been there in years (or have worked anywhere, one wonders?)  They have lots of strong opinions and advise.

But if you have an opinion, duck!

Offline Laundry Man

• Heavy User
« Reply #239 on: Sep 08, 2009, 10:41 »

Not sure which NSS you worked for?  They did a hack of a job on Numanco.
LM

Offline radbitch

• Heavy User
« Reply #240 on: Sep 15, 2009, 07:03 »
Does bechtel still have people onsite for the SGR project or did they all switch hats? Is the entire site Bechtel free?
TIA

Offline radbitch

• Heavy User
« Reply #241 on: Sep 15, 2009, 09:05 »
Rechtel is still driving the SGRO bus.

Thanks for the info..
I'm currently @ CR-3 working with (not 4) Bechtel and inquiring minds wanted to know!

Domegren

« Reply #242 on: Sep 21, 2009, 11:09 »
I'm a nuke mechanic just past my five year point without plans of reenlisting. I've been spending a lot of time researching to find out how to prepare for getting out. I always hoped that I'd end up working at a power plant like SONGS primarily for its location since I grew up in Orange County. From what I'm hearing it seems like people are generally happy with the work environment but they aren't able to save much money. I have plans on finishing my degree in nuclear engineering technology through Excelsior College before I get out. Does anybody know if there are frequent job openings for somebody with my qualifications? If so, about what kind of hours and pay would I be looking at?

Offline MeterSwangin

• Moderate User
  • Somebody get decon!
« Reply #243 on: Sep 21, 2009, 10:34 »
I'm a nuke mechanic just past my five year point without plans of reenlisting. I've been spending a lot of time researching to find out how to prepare for getting out. I always hoped that I'd end up working at a power plant like SONGS primarily for its location since I grew up in Orange County. From what I'm hearing it seems like people are generally happy with the work environment but they aren't able to save much money. I have plans on finishing my degree in nuclear engineering technology through Excelsior College before I get out. Does anybody know if there are frequent job openings for somebody with my qualifications? If so, about what kind of hours and pay would I be looking at?

San Onofre is and will be hiring maintenance folks of all kinds.  HVAC, welding, I&C, rad monitoring, machinists...you name it.  Move quickly into management position (supervision, planner, quality, etc.)  Basic 1st line supv. pay starts around $8K/mo with all the OT you can eat.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #244 on: Sep 22, 2009, 05:26 »
Once again the NRC is not too pleased with the SONGS team (95-002, column 3).  The SONGS team is not living up to the bill of goods they sold to the NRC to keep the keys. Be careful placing your career eggs in the SONGS basket.  Do a lot of research before you accept an offer for what you think may be your last job and plunk down $750,000.00 for a 1-br condo overlooking I5.

Such as this lil ol memo found here :  http://www.nrc.gov/NRR/OVERSIGHT/ASSESS/LETTERS/sano_2009q2.pdf

It's often a bad thing when the letter has the phrase "This is the fourth consecutive assessment cycle where substantive crosscutting issues were identified in human performance and problem identification and resolution."

Offline MeterSwangin

• Moderate User
  • Somebody get decon!
« Reply #245 on: Sep 22, 2009, 11:39 »
Once again the NRC is not too pleased with the SONGS team (95-002, column 3).  The SONGS team is not living up to the bill of goods they sold to the NRC to keep the keys. Be careful placing your career eggs in the SONGS basket.  Do a lot of research before you accept an offer for what you think may be your last job and plunk down $750,000.00 for a 1-br condo overlooking I5.

It has been tough.  Column 2, by-the-way, not 3 (yet.)

Ask any of the dozens of very high dollar consultants onsite...this kind of trouble is an opportunity.   New groups, promotions, new initiatives springing up everywhere.  Yeehaw!

Making electricity is boring.  Ever spend an entire summer doing routine surveys and sampling clean air?  Making excellence is much cooler.  Not easy or fast, but cool.

Offline Longtime Nuke

• Light User
« Reply #246 on: Sep 22, 2009, 11:46 »

Recent years at Column-4 Palo Verde have proved the most opportune, lucrative of my career.  Plants in recovery are where the smart money runs.....

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #247 on: Sep 23, 2009, 09:12 »
It has been tough.  Column 2, by-the-way, not 3 (yet.)

Ask any of the dozens of very high dollar consultants onsite...this kind of trouble is an opportunity.  

And it has been since the early 90s, opportunity for consultants, with lovely views of the beach from the 'Queen Mary", or the box of donuts known as K-50. Yet complacency marches on, whether 120 day outages or misaligned diesels for a few years. But hey, making electricity (while being compliant) sounds boring...  >:(

Think back, why was it that when H.B. Ray was Nuclear VP, things ran well, what has changed??
« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2009, 09:15 by HydroDave63 »

Offline MeterSwangin

• Moderate User
  • Somebody get decon!
« Reply #248 on: Sep 23, 2009, 10:56 »
Think back, why was it that when H.B. Ray was Nuclear VP, things ran well, what has changed??
THAT is the greatest question.  Really.

Consensus from the new leadership, INPO, and consultants is that the plant didn't change at all.  Kept doing things just like when SALP 1 for years in the 1990s.  No decline, just kept doing what worked.

What changed was the status quo.  The bar changed.  What used to be handled with a find/fix now gets a CR, prompt investigation, review board, effectiveness review, and OE writeup.  SONGS kept doing the find/fix, and is now in the ditch.

Consider RP for a minute.  In the 1990s it was SALP 1 / INPO 1 behavior to put it back if you found a magenta tool outside the RCA.  Now it is a mid-level human performance error demanding investigation, corrective action, trending, prompt mgt action, etc.  No activity on the tool.  Would you really call a plant that just put it back today "broke?"

Yes.

gbrownell

San Onofre Temp Positions/Employers ????
« Reply #249 on: Oct 05, 2009, 03:51 »
I spent 6 years working contract security at San Onofre in the 80's. I'm now trying to find employment there during the current outage. Does anybody know who the "Temp" employers are for the more entry level positions? (firewatch/janitorial/transportation) Very much appriciate some direction. Volt, Manpower, and a few others were there during the Unit 1 retro fit and construction of 2 & 3. I loved working there. At one time there were close to 6,0000 workers on site during construction.

Greg

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?