San Onofre

Above Average
27 (29.3%)
Average
31 (33.7%)
Below Average
34 (37%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: San Onofre (SONGS)  (Read 493445 times)

Offline navsteve

• Light User
Re: San Onofre (SONGS)
« Reply #275 on: Nov 26, 2009, 11:56 »
Does anyone know when they will be hiring for the next NLO class?

dirac

« Reply #276 on: Nov 27, 2009, 03:32 »
I think they interview March/April to start work in June

jimdog99

« Reply #277 on: Dec 04, 2009, 02:09 »
If the cost of living is so much how did 20,000 people end up moving there? Last time I checked people move to places they want to live.

Poor California School System:
1. Stanford
2. UC Berkeley
3. UCLA
4. Boalt School of Law
5. UCSF
6. Harvey Mudd
7. USC
8. UC San Diego
9. Cal Tech
 Just to name a few. Yeah really bad schools (majority of whos students are California residents educated in California Schools).

What do you have against living with Mexicans? Are you able to pick out an illegal alien from a resident just by looking at them? Or you just don't like living with people that look different from you? I'm not sure if you are aware of this but California actually used to belong to Mexico, so yes there is a large population of people of Mexican heritage that live in Southern California.

The illegal workforce problem is a national one, not just California's. States from Montana to South Carolina are struggling with this.

Lest you forget...  Camp Pendleton and the influx of troops coming and going.  I used to work there too.  The traffic at 0630 on the 5 @ mission was horrible.  I hoped I wasn't late. Better leave early.  BTW, the cost of living is bad.  I can't afford to live in SC and I live in Carlsbad.

jimdog99

« Reply #278 on: Dec 04, 2009, 02:11 »
Works for me.  Live where you like and prosper. 

Park in the living room in your underwear between shifts at the carwash.  Go online and piss on places you got kicked out of.  Make stuff up.  Find petty crimes in distant neighborhoods on the internet.  Eat cheetos and drool on the keyboard.

Ever hear of the SGR that had only 3 PCEs by day 24?   Didn't think so.  SONGS. 

That and the ALARA program.  They have been off the charts good.  Much props to them.  For all of the problems that they have had this is such a good thing.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #279 on: Jan 19, 2010, 10:54 »
Looks like another rain-moisture short of some wiring  :P

Siren malfunctions at San Onofre power plant
Tuesday, January 19, 2010

SAN CLEMENTE, Calif. (KABC) -- Officials say a siren that went off early Tuesday morning at the San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station was a malfunction.

Residents should not be alarmed as there are no problems at the power plant.

Officials were able to reset the alarm, but the cause of the malfunction has not yet been determined.

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/local/orange_county&id=7226480

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #280 on: Jan 19, 2010, 10:58 »
I think they interview March/April to start work in June

Hopefully the roads will be drained by then. All those 'civil engineers' on the Mesa, yet no one can keep a road open ...

Power Reactor     Event Number: 45634
Facility: SAN ONOFRE
Region: 4 State: CA
Unit: [ ] [2] [3]
RX Type: [1] W-3-LP,[2] CE,[3] CE
NRC Notified By: GEOFF COOK
HQ OPS Officer: MARK ABRAMOVITZ    Notification Date: 01/18/2010
Notification Time: 23:43 [ET]
Event Date: 01/18/2010
Event Time: 19:50 [PST]
Last Update Date: 01/19/2010
Emergency Class: NON EMERGENCY
10 CFR Section:
50.72(b)(3)(xiii) - LOSS COMM/ASMT/RESPONSE
   Person (Organization):
LINDA HOWELL (R4DO)
ROBERT KAHLER (NSIR)

Unit    SCRAM Code    RX CRIT    Initial PWR    Initial RX Mode    Current PWR    Current RX Mode
2    N    N    0    Refueling    0    Refueling
3    N    Y    100    Power Operation    100    Power Operation

Event Text
EMERGENCY OPERATIONS FACILITY INACCESSIBLE DUE TO ROAD FLOODING

"On January 18, 2010, at about 1950 PST, the access road to the SONGS MESA facilities became flooded after a day of rain. The San Onofre Emergency Operations Facility (EOF) is located at the MESA and because of the flooding, is inaccessible to passenger vehicles. While the EOF itself is operable, in the event of an emergency at San Onofre, SCE [Southern California Edison] would direct EOF emergency responders to the alternate EOF located in Irvine, California. SCE is reporting this occurrence to the NRC in accordance with 10CFR50.72(b)(3)(xiii).

"At the time of this occurrence, Unit 2 was shutdown for a Steam Generator Replacement outage and Unit 3 was operating at about 100% power. SCE will notify the NRC Resident Inspectors about this occurrence and will provide them with a copy of this report."

http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/event-status/event/en.html#en45634

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #281 on: Jan 30, 2010, 12:31 »
Ever hear of the SGR that had only 3 PCEs by day 24?   Didn't think so.  SONGS. 

Power Reactor Status Report for September 27, 2009

San Onofre 2    0    09/26/2009    REFUELING OUTAGE    *    

Power Reactor Status Report for January 29, 2010

San Onofre 2    0

Good thing about taking it slow and easy is that ya save a lot of fuel that way (except for spontaneous fission)             

dirac

« Reply #282 on: Jan 30, 2010, 05:30 »
Piping inspections during the outage revealed degraded piping in all the ECCS suction lines from stress cracking corosion. So more inspections were required and piping had to be replaced. This all pushed the outage out for 40 days. I guess they could have ignored it like Davis Besse but that wouldn't look too good.

No budget issues yet I beleive becasue there was mid cycle down power scheduled for later next year so they're just taking care of it now and will stay online for the duration.

dirac

« Reply #283 on: Jan 31, 2010, 12:17 »
They were self identified but the feds have taken an intrest to say the least.

Offline MeterSwangin

• Moderate User
  • Somebody get decon!
« Reply #284 on: Feb 01, 2010, 08:22 »
Holy guacamole!  That is a long time to be shut down!  At least CR has an obvious excuse to still be off-line.  Can anybody working the SONGS outage chime in and tell us what is taking so long? We realize it is SONGS but 125 days and counting is a long haul even for that place.  Does it have anything to do with the flooded access road to Jap Mesa?  What about the dose budget, PCEs and injuries?  What do the numbers look like?

Dose and PCEs very good.  Just over 150 rem original goal, and 60 PCEs or so going on day 120-whatever.  Injuries not good...Bechtel had over 100 during SGR.

U2 won't start up until everything is 100% squared away....110%.  Life of the road to recovery.

Offline crusemm

• Moderate User
« Reply #285 on: Feb 04, 2010, 03:30 »
Anyone currently working at SONGS, please PM me, I have some questions Off Line.  Maybe Pm me your phone # so we can talk.  Thanks
Authentic truth is never simple and that any version of truth handed down from on high---whether by presidents, prime ministers, or archbishops---is inherently suspect.-Andrew Bacevich

miajr84

« Reply #286 on: Feb 13, 2010, 05:22 »
Anyone taken the anpeo knowledge test recently ? Know what is primarily on the test ? I read a 700 page study guide. Would like to narrow down what to really concentrate on the test. Thanks for alll the help in advance. Pming me will be the best way. Thanks.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #287 on: Feb 13, 2010, 01:46 »
Anyone taken the anpeo knowledge test recently ? Know what is primarily on the test ? I read a 700 page study guide. Would like to narrow down what to really concentrate on the test. Thanks for alll the help in advance. Pming me will be the best way. Thanks.

Hate to sound corny but...

If you are coming from the Navy nuclear program, bring your A game and you should do fine

If you worked at a power plant other than nuke, it's much the same but a far smaller coal pile

If you haven't worked at a power plant before, count yourself lucky to be invited to test and read the guide. All of it. What concepts would you want a nuclear plant operator to NOT know??

miajr84

« Reply #288 on: Feb 13, 2010, 01:56 »
yeah ive read the entire guide edison provided me. Read everything. Tooks notes (filled two notebooks) and did all the practice questions. Practice quizes i didnt do to well on im rereading and practicing again and again. Only problem ive had are centrifugal pump flow rate/pump head charts.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #289 on: Feb 14, 2010, 12:50 »
pm me if you have more ?s

Offline hrdwrkndgs

• Very Lite User
SONGS 2nd SGRO
« Reply #290 on: Feb 19, 2010, 09:35 »
I've heard several different things.  Does anyone know who has the next SGRO at songs Bechtel or SGT?

dirac

« Reply #291 on: Feb 20, 2010, 12:36 »
tell me about it. good grief :'(

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Re: SONGS 2nd SGRO
« Reply #292 on: Feb 20, 2010, 02:08 »
The next one?  Hell, they aren't even done with the first one.

Look at all the savings though...lose a little fuel from spontaneous fission, but a LOT less H-3 and Co-60 to deal with  ;)

Offline MeterSwangin

• Moderate User
  • Somebody get decon!
« Reply #293 on: Feb 20, 2010, 11:54 »
I've heard several different things.  Does anyone know who has the next SGRO at songs Bechtel or SGT?

Bechtel has the U3 SGRO.  Starts 9/27/10.

Offline MeterSwangin

• Moderate User
  • Somebody get decon!
« Reply #294 on: Feb 20, 2010, 08:49 »
Unless the cracks in the RSGs (still in Japan) delay the process a cycle or two...

Not an issue.  Repairs completing on schedule, SGs shipping in August.
« Last Edit: Feb 20, 2010, 09:09 by Camella Black »

NuclearPrincess

« Reply #295 on: Mar 30, 2010, 11:25 »
I'm new and not entirely certain where this question belongs, but I've been invited to take the ANPEO test at SONGS.  I'm trying to determine two things:

1.  Are all the travel expenses even worth taking the test? (I live in Kansas, and will have to personally pay for 2 trips
                           to San Clemente providing I pass the tests.)
                      2.  Can I afford to live in southern California if I'm making $27.50/hr?  Or is that the equivalent to living a tent on the
                           beach?  (Which doesn't necessarily sound bad, I just don't think it's legal)

I've heard lots of great things about the area, but I haven't heard much about the company.  Is it a good company to work for?  I've read through the old posts here, and there aren't too many recent posts with that sort of info.  Any advice or suggestions would be a tremendous help. Thanks!   

Offline radbitch

• Heavy User
« Reply #296 on: Mar 30, 2010, 08:32 »
I'll be heading to SONGS in a few weeks. I start the 19th. San Onofre was my 1st nuke back in 83-85, I was 18... (Yea, showing my age!   :o...)  Moneys alot better this time, my 1st job back then was working for Allied washing PC's for $5 bucks an hour.

Can't wait to see what the area looks like 25 years later!  8)

Offline MeterSwangin

• Moderate User
  • Somebody get decon!
« Reply #297 on: Mar 30, 2010, 08:48 »
I'm new and not entirely certain where this question belongs, but I've been invited to take the ANPEO test at SONGS.  I'm trying to determine two things:

1.  Are all the travel expenses even worth taking the test? (I live in Kansas, and will have to personally pay for 2 trips
                           to San Clemente providing I pass the tests.)
                      2.  Can I afford to live in southern California if I'm making $27.50/hr?  Or is that the equivalent to living a tent on the
                           beach?  (Which doesn't necessarily sound bad, I just don't think it's legal)

I've heard lots of great things about the area, but I haven't heard much about the company.  Is it a good company to work for?  I've read through the old posts here, and there aren't too many recent posts with that sort of info.  Any advice or suggestions would be a tremendous help. Thanks!   

Princess,  There are people here who don't work anywhere any more and have nothing to say about any place.  Beware the free advice.

SONGS is a great place to live and work, one of the best in the industry.  And getting much better very fast.  Make the trip...you won't be sorry.  Ignore the losers

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #298 on: Mar 30, 2010, 09:23 »
SONGS is a great place to live and work, one of the best in the industry.  And getting much better very fast.  Make the trip...you won't be sorry.  Ignore the losers

Power Reactor Status Report for September 27, 2009

San Onofre 2    0    09/26/2009    REFUELING OUTAGE    *    

Power Reactor Status Report for March 30, 2010

San Onofre 2    0

Good thing about taking it slow and easy is that ya save a lot of fuel that way (except for spontaneous fission)             

http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/event-status/reactor-status/2010/20100330ps.html

Why heck, if Princess hurries, might just get hired, Red Badged and qualified on shift to catch the tail-end of that there refueling outage ! By then the Co60 ought to be <MDA, right?  :P

Offline MeterSwangin

• Moderate User
  • Somebody get decon!
« Reply #299 on: Mar 30, 2010, 11:20 »
http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/event-status/reactor-status/2010/20100330ps.html

Why heck, if Princess hurries, might just get hired, Red Badged and qualified on shift to catch the tail-end of that there refueling outage ! By then the Co60 ought to be <MDA, right?  :P

Long outage indeed, Dave.  Getting it right, no hurry.

Full pockets.  Fixed plant.  Good thing.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?