San Onofre

Above Average
27 (29.3%)
Average
31 (33.7%)
Below Average
34 (37%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: San Onofre (SONGS)  (Read 493546 times)

Offline MeterSwangin

• Moderate User
  • Somebody get decon!
Re: San Onofre (SONGS)
« Reply #325 on: Aug 14, 2010, 10:31 »
It's California,.....#2,...

Sorry, but you guys dont get it at all.  Units run great...U3 on day 610 this weekend.  Position on grid absolutely vital.  Burn no coal in Ca., so nukes are key zero carbon baseload.  And juice is pricey per kwh, but who cares?  Climate is mild, pay is high.  My juice rate is 3x Oregon, but monthly power bill is $80.  Yawn.

So INPO 4 drill is just dancing without the music.  Learn the new lingo, hire the expensive consultants, change the procedures, starch shirts in the control room, buy new gear, paint the rocks.  In a couple years be declared fixed, and the dance starts somewhere else.  Yawn.

Offline tr

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #326 on: Aug 15, 2010, 08:09 »
That has to be the longest refueling outage ever!
Um, no.  Unit 3 has been on a 610 day continuous run since startup.  This is the longest continuous run for any of the 3 SONGS units.

Offline Nuke of the North

• Light User
« Reply #327 on: Aug 17, 2010, 05:33 »
Hello All,

Figured I would register and say howdy. I just learned from an old friend at SONGS today that they had finally achieved their long coveted goal of an INPO 4 a while back. Oh how the once mighty have fallen! Hard to believe that they were once an INPO 1 when I first started working their in the 90's. Oh well, I guess it just goes to show you that hard work can indeed pay off!

I wonder how many of my old pals are still there and have survived the corporate blood-letting.

See you all around the forum.

carry on...
« Last Edit: Aug 17, 2010, 05:38 by Nuke of the North »
Es braust unser Panzer Im Sturmwind dahin!

Offline MeterSwangin

• Moderate User
  • Somebody get decon!
« Reply #328 on: Aug 17, 2010, 06:57 »
Hello All,

Figured I would register and say howdy. I just learned from an old friend at SONGS today that they had finally achieved their long coveted goal of an INPO 4 a while back. Oh how the once mighty have fallen! Hard to believe that they were once an INPO 1 when I first started working their in the 90's. Oh well, I guess it just goes to show you that hard work can indeed pay off!

I wonder how many of my old pals are still there and have survived the corporate blood-letting.

See you all around the forum.

carry on...

Place looks the same, North Nuke.  Plants run well, staff is sharp, plant looks good.  What changed, of course, was the height of the bar.  Now a person tardy from a training break results in a red window, poor line ownership, ya-da, ya-da....

• Light User
« Reply #329 on: Aug 17, 2010, 07:32 »
Place looks the same...plant looks good.

What about all of the bird poop on top of the domes?  ;)

Oh, and what about U1? Completely gone yet?

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #330 on: Aug 17, 2010, 09:33 »
Place looks the same, North Nuke.  Plants run well, staff is sharp, plant looks good.  What changed, of course, was the height of the bar.  Now a person tardy from a training break results in a red window, poor line ownership, ya-da, ya-da....

With 2800 people on site, that must happen often  ::)

• Light User
« Reply #331 on: Aug 18, 2010, 02:55 »
With 2800 people on site, that must happen often  ::)

Does Gaby still feed half of them?
« Last Edit: Aug 18, 2010, 02:55 by Nuke of the North »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #332 on: Aug 18, 2010, 03:36 »
Does Gaby still feed half of them?

Well, yeah!....it's not like they are handing out Chart House Bucks anymore!

Besides, who can resist cracking open that heated PVC wrap thick enough for a RAM shipment, and lapping up the hot melted gooey Monterey Jack cheese on that 4-8 hour old Malibu sandwich, I ask you ?!?  :P  If you can't finish it all, just toss it to the carnivorous squirrels or the family of raccoons chasing the 43 watch out of the switchyard on night log checks.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #333 on: Aug 18, 2010, 05:24 »
Sorry, but you guys dont get it at all.  Units run great...U3 on day 610 this weekend.  Position on grid absolutely vital.  Burn no coal in Ca., so nukes are key zero carbon baseload.  And juice is pricey per kwh, but who cares?  Climate is mild, pay is high.  My juice rate is 3x Oregon, but monthly power bill is $80.  Yawn.

So INPO 4 drill is just dancing without the music.  Learn the new lingo, hire the expensive consultants, change the procedures, starch shirts in the control room, buy new gear, paint the rocks.  In a couple years be declared fixed, and the dance starts somewhere else.  Yawn.

1. SONGS position on the grid isn't absolutely vital. The CAISO G-2 study for both units at SONGS offline is a VAR constraint, not MW. In other words, marginal prices might rise a little, but those megawatts would come from Escondido or Four Corners or *gasp* Arizona, just as they do now 24/7 depending on prices. That VAR support could easily come from a couple large SVC's installed in the yard, or convert the TG's to synchronous condensers. That's what one utility did to its dual unit site with performance and people issues located near a large urban area. (pages 23-30)

2. California hypocritically uses plenty of coal power every day, simply choosing to move the exhaust to the Navajos and Utes. Ask any grid operator or marketer in the Southwest, those deals go from Four Corners, Intermountain, San Juan, Cholla and Navajo units to the mallrats of SoCal daily. Calif's moral high ground is built on a pile of clinker.

2.1  The Day Ahead cost of power right now is around $41/MWh , or 4 cents/kWh for the wholesale power part of the residential rate. In a world without SONGS, that might go to 6 or 7 cents for the wholesale part. The Lakers wouldn't be playing by candlelight. You could still get a hot #6 combo at Alberto's drive-thru. Or, if things don't change right quick there on site, you might be handing it to me out of the folding window. I'll take Mild sauce, por favor.
« Last Edit: Aug 18, 2010, 05:25 by HydroDave63 »

Offline MeterSwangin

• Moderate User
  • Somebody get decon!
« Reply #334 on: Aug 18, 2010, 07:51 »
What about all of the bird poop on top of the domes?  ;)

Oh, and what about U1? Completely gone yet?

Unit 1, like the bashers who have not been here for years and dunno diddly, long gone.

• Light User
« Reply #335 on: Aug 19, 2010, 03:19 »
Unit 1, like the bashers who have not been here for years and dunno diddly, long gone.

Yea right...bashers...like those of us who spent hundreds of hours writing corrective actions trying to keep the ship upright. Unlike internet chatterboxes who were content to ride the ship all the way to the bottom.

CPTech

« Reply #336 on: Aug 19, 2010, 04:11 »
I am a house tech at Comanche Peak and need information about the upcoming outage.  We were confirmed to provide support (Nov-Dec) but were just told the time frame actually may be more January/February.  What is the current staffing date? Also, I have relatives that live in the San Diego area about 40-45 miles from the plant.  How is the traffic flow and approximate driving time if going on Interstate 5 (mostly straight shot).  Any information will be greatly appreciated.   

Offline MeterSwangin

• Moderate User
  • Somebody get decon!
« Reply #337 on: Aug 19, 2010, 07:39 »
I am a house tech at Comanche Peak and need information about the upcoming outage.  We were confirmed to provide support (Nov-Dec) but were just told the time frame actually may be more January/February.  What is the current staffing date? Also, I have relatives that live in the San Diego area about 40-45 miles from the plant.  How is the traffic flow and approximate driving time if going on Interstate 5 (mostly straight shot).  Any information will be greatly appreciated.   

Outage is 10/10/10 through mid-January.

San Diego is a bit of a drive.  Traffic often nasty on I-5.  But they are very good here about accomodations, especially for loanee techs.  Can probably customize hours to avoid traffic.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #338 on: Aug 23, 2010, 09:26 »
Plants run well, staff is sharp

How about that fuse wiring....?

Power Reactor     Event Number: 46182
Facility: SAN ONOFRE
Region: 4 State: CA
Unit: [ ] [2] [ ]
RX Type: [1] W-3-LP,[2] CE,[3] CE
NRC Notified By: LEON RAFNER
HQ OPS Officer: JOE O'HARA    Notification Date: 08/17/2010
Notification Time: 13:56 [ET]
Event Date: 08/17/2010
Event Time: 03:00 [PDT]
Last Update Date: 08/17/2010
Emergency Class: NON EMERGENCY
10 CFR Section:
50.72(b)(3)(ii)(B) - UNANALYZED CONDITION
   Person (Organization):
GEOFFREY MILLER (R4DO)

Unit    SCRAM Code    RX CRIT    Initial PWR    Initial RX Mode    Current PWR    Current RX Mode
2    N    Y    100    Power Operation    100    Power Operation

Event Text
UNANALYZED CONDITION DUE TO POTENTIAL WIRING DISCREPANCY

"On August 16, 2010, at about 0100 PDT, SONGS Unit 2 Train 'A' Emergency Diesel Generator (EDG) 2G002 was removed from service for planned maintenance. Train 'A' EDG is the Appendix R protected Train.

"At about 1545 the same day, Southern California Edison (SCE) discovered a potential wiring discrepancy in the electronic governor. At 0300 on August 17, 2010, SCE determined two wires on a fire isolation fuse were confirmed to be terminated differently than specified in plant drawings and that the discrepancy would prevent the fuse and associated fire isolation switch from performing its Appendix R fire isolation function for the Train 'A' EDG. In accordance with NUREG-1022, Rev. 2, SCE is reporting this occurrence in accordance 10CFR50.72(b)(3)(ii)(B).

"While the incorrect wiring impacted the Appendix R qualifications of the Train 'A' EDG, it did not impact its other design functions and the EDG was capable to fulfill its safety function for all other Design Basis Events. Therefore, SCE considers the safety significance of the condition to be minimal.

"In accordance with LCS specification 3.7.113.1 Condition A, SCE will implement hourly Fire Watches for the impacted plant areas until such time that the wiring on the Unit 3 Train 'A' Emergency Diesel Generator 3G002 is conformed to be correct or has taken actions to correct any wiring discrepancy. An evaluation will be conducted to determine the cause of this condition.

"At the time of this occurrence, Unit 2 and Unit 3 were both at 100% power."

"The NRC Resident Inspector will be notified of this occurrence and will be provided with a copy of this report."

• Light User
« Reply #339 on: Aug 23, 2010, 09:36 »
How about that fuse wiring....?

Power Reactor     Event Number: 46182
Facility: SAN ONOFRE
Region: 4 State: CA
Unit: [ ] [2] [ ]
RX Type: [1] W-3-LP,[2] CE,[3] CE
NRC Notified By: LEON RAFNER
HQ OPS Officer: JOE O'HARA    Notification Date: 08/17/2010
Notification Time: 13:56 [ET]
Event Date: 08/17/2010
Event Time: 03:00 [PDT]
Last Update Date: 08/17/2010
Emergency Class: NON EMERGENCY
10 CFR Section:
50.72(b)(3)(ii)(B) - UNANALYZED CONDITION
   Person (Organization):
GEOFFREY MILLER (R4DO)

Unit    SCRAM Code    RX CRIT    Initial PWR    Initial RX Mode    Current PWR    Current RX Mode
2    N    Y    100    Power Operation    100    Power Operation

Event Text
UNANALYZED CONDITION DUE TO POTENTIAL WIRING DISCREPANCY

"On August 16, 2010, at about 0100 PDT, SONGS Unit 2 Train 'A' Emergency Diesel Generator (EDG) 2G002 was removed from service for planned maintenance. Train 'A' EDG is the Appendix R protected Train.

"At about 1545 the same day, Southern California Edison (SCE) discovered a potential wiring discrepancy in the electronic governor. At 0300 on August 17, 2010, SCE determined two wires on a fire isolation fuse were confirmed to be terminated differently than specified in plant drawings and that the discrepancy would prevent the fuse and associated fire isolation switch from performing its Appendix R fire isolation function for the Train 'A' EDG. In accordance with NUREG-1022, Rev. 2, SCE is reporting this occurrence in accordance 10CFR50.72(b)(3)(ii)(B).

"While the incorrect wiring impacted the Appendix R qualifications of the Train 'A' EDG, it did not impact its other design functions and the EDG was capable to fulfill its safety function for all other Design Basis Events. Therefore, SCE considers the safety significance of the condition to be minimal.

"In accordance with LCS specification 3.7.113.1 Condition A, SCE will implement hourly Fire Watches for the impacted plant areas until such time that the wiring on the Unit 3 Train 'A' Emergency Diesel Generator 3G002 is conformed to be correct or has taken actions to correct any wiring discrepancy. An evaluation will be conducted to determine the cause of this condition.

"At the time of this occurrence, Unit 2 and Unit 3 were both at 100% power."

"The NRC Resident Inspector will be notified of this occurrence and will be provided with a copy of this report."

What, again? Are you kidding? How many freaking RCE's have they done on EDG wiring by now? Who is the Electrical SPM these days?

montanamike

« Reply #340 on: Sep 24, 2010, 12:46 »
Well they made to INPO 4! :( thank god I can retire before the NRC shuts this place down! ;(

I currently work at SONGS and worked there for 31 years. I have been management 3 times and been a UWUA local 246 member for last 28 years. this plant is in serious trouble at this time being inpo 3 and heading to inpo 4(my opinion)  the new VP wants to keep his Operators and dump the company's union members in favour of temp contactors. They seem unable to change the way they do business. It will be a sad day to see them go to inpo 4 and perhaps have turn the plant over to some else to run. There is a total lack of respect for the employee's now not like the old days when there was a feeling of team spirit. Now I just look forward to retiring,
truely a sad way to finish a career.  :(

Offline Incline

• Light User
« Reply #341 on: Sep 24, 2010, 01:47 »
I heard Joe Sheppard is the new CNO. If it's true, then hopefully he can turn it around. He is a good person and a strong leader.

Offline MeterSwangin

• Moderate User
  • Somebody get decon!
« Reply #342 on: Sep 27, 2010, 09:34 »
I heard Joe Sheppard is the new CNO. If it's true, then hopefully he can turn it around. He is a good person and a strong leader.

Turnaround is well underway.  Joe is here until long-term CNO is hired.  He's a Texan...not here for long.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #343 on: Sep 27, 2010, 09:40 »
That's just how I'd do a major turnaround of a troubled plant...bring in talent that isn't going to stay, so that any valid programs and ideas will be just another "Flavor of the Month" to those that need to get out of the complacency mode.  :-\

Then again, these postings do serve as a 'dipstick' reading of plant recovery thus far...

Offline Incline

• Light User
« Reply #344 on: Sep 27, 2010, 11:17 »
Maybe he will chop some complacent heads at all levels of management and supervision to wake up the ones not with the program. I heard SONGS is top heavy anyway.

Offline MeterSwangin

• Moderate User
  • Somebody get decon!
« Reply #345 on: Sep 28, 2010, 08:44 »
That's just how I'd do a major turnaround of a troubled plant...bring in talent that isn't going to stay, so that any valid programs and ideas will be just another "Flavor of the Month" to those that need to get out of the complacency mode.  :-\

Then again, these postings do serve as a 'dipstick' reading of plant recovery thus far...

Can't help but agree that some posters are indeed dipsticks, Dave.  We finally agree.

On topic:  12 days to SGR start.  Unit online for over 640 days without a hiccup.  Old Bartlett friends all arriving and happy to be here.  Good stuff.

• Light User
« Reply #346 on: Sep 29, 2010, 04:18 »
SONGS has had many leaders that were considered to be a 'good person' and 'strong'.  The status quo machine ate them up and spit them out.
Maybe because they didn't drive snappy red BMW's.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #347 on: Sep 29, 2010, 04:21 »
Or wash those red BMW's ultra-clean up at the HFMUD? ;)

• Light User
« Reply #348 on: Sep 29, 2010, 05:11 »
Or wash those red BMW's ultra-clean up at the HFMUD? ;)

You'd have to wait in line behind the guys cleaning their guns!  :o

dgcaste

« Reply #349 on: Oct 14, 2010, 03:45 »
This place is mired with people that work extremely hard with absolutely zero direction. Show up to work, look at SAP, finish what's due, put out the latest "fire", go home, repeat.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?