San Onofre

Above Average
27 (29.3%)
Average
31 (33.7%)
Below Average
34 (37%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: San Onofre (SONGS)  (Read 494930 times)

Fermi2

Re: San Onofre (SONGS)
« Reply #400 on: Feb 03, 2012, 11:40 »
Leak was 80 gallons per day (.065 gpm) and a rate of change of 30 gallons per hour.

Above the EPRI Limit for greater than Minor leakage and requires a Shutdown to less than 50% power within 60 minutes and be in Hotshutdown within the following 2 hours.

1. Reduce power to less than or equal to 50% power
within one hour and be in Mode 3 within the next 2
hours (total of 3 hrs).
2. Monitor radiation monitor readings every 15 min
and perform Appendix A.
3. Coordinate with Chemistry to identify leaking SG,
quantify leakage and determine leakage rate-ofchange.
4. Initiate actions to minimize spread of
contamination.
5. Evaluate need for additional resources in the
following areas: Operations, Chemistry, Rad
Protection, water processing, makeup water.

AND the Operations Staff decided it was bad enough they entered their SG Tube Rupture EOP which isn't something the NRC takes miildly.

Hardly a "minor" tube leak.

See the point?

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #401 on: Feb 03, 2012, 11:46 »
More than 800 tubes showed a 10 percent thinning in the tube wall, officials said. 69 others had at least 20 percent thinning. And two tubes needed to be plugged and taken out of service because a third of the wall was worn away.

With that much wear this soon, I'm thinking water chemistry or bad tube metallurgy at MHI...

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #402 on: Feb 03, 2012, 12:03 »
Leak was 80 gallons per day (.065 gpm) and a rate of change of 30 gallons per hour.

Well, that changes the dynamic a bit.  .065 gpm vs. 30 gpm makes the leak rate lower than a tube rupture.  But, it is significantly worse than what you would expect on the first cycle.  Either one tube was on its way to a failure, or many of them were rapidly deteriorating. 
Combined with the tube wall thinning noted at Unit 2, this indicates a real problem.  I don't think the water chemistry could be the cause unless somebody was radioing the samples or ignoring the indications.  There had to be some contamination that was undetected or else it was a manufacturing defect.

Mitsubishi is going to blame the chemistry.  SONGS is going to blame the materials.  Time will tell who is right.

Still, it isn't something you should take in stride.  A primary to secondary leak that puts the unit at -15MW instead of full power is definitely not common.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #403 on: Feb 03, 2012, 01:27 »

Mitsubishi is going to blame the chemistry.  SONGS is going to blame the materials.  Time will tell who is right.
maybe m.h.i. didn't due things quite right in japan for it's n stamp.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

dirac

« Reply #404 on: Feb 03, 2012, 06:42 »
See the point?

Never said there wasn't one. Just correcting the facts. 30 gpm and 30 gpd is a big difference and paints a different story.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #405 on: Feb 03, 2012, 07:05 »
Never said there wasn't one. Just correcting the facts. 30 gpm and 30 gpd is a big difference and paints a different story.

But any guess as to root cause?

Offline Nuke of the North

• Light User
« Reply #406 on: Feb 03, 2012, 09:39 »
Not tube rupture.  Tube leak.  Very small.  Common in 1st cycle after replacement.  20,000 tubes in the unit.  Expect 1 or 2....................

T'is but a scratch...

Es braust unser Panzer Im Sturmwind dahin!

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
« Reply #407 on: Feb 04, 2012, 02:51 »
Not tube rupture.  Tube leak.  Very small.  Common in 1st cycle after replacement.  20,000 tubes in the unit.  Expect 1 or 2....................

1 or 2 or 900...something like that!

I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline MeterSwangin

• Moderate User
  • Somebody get decon!
« Reply #408 on: Feb 04, 2012, 09:51 »
Not common at all. Incorrect. And 30 GPM is NOT a small leak.

You are misinformed.  Not 30 gpm.  80 gpd.  Very small.  See OE on replacement SGs for commonality.

Offline MeterSwangin

• Moderate User
  • Somebody get decon!
« Reply #409 on: Feb 04, 2012, 09:55 »
But any guess as to root cause?

Eddy current testing 80% complete on Unit 2 (unit in RVH outage.)   Starts next week in U3 (tube leak unit.)  Much too early for conclusions.....although that appears to not dissuade media or some listers.

Fermi2

« Reply #410 on: Feb 04, 2012, 10:32 »
You are misinformed.  Not 30 gpm.  80 gpd.  Very small.  See OE on replacement SGs for commonality.

NOT very small. Large enough to cause a REQUIRED shutdown AND an entry into the EOPs.
I've checked OE and guess what, you're wrong. My source is the NRC event reports. I checked SG replacements against required shutdowns and trips. Found EXACTLY zero. Flat out you're wrong and an idiot.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #411 on: Feb 04, 2012, 11:23 »
You are misinformed.  Not 30 gpm.  80 gpd.  Very small.  See OE on replacement SGs for commonality.
"The amount of wear that we are seeing on these tubes is unusual for a new steam generator," said Nuclear Regulatory Commission spokesman Victor Dricks.

And that is in reference to the unit that is NOT leaking.  So, how can the leaking one be common?

Here is a little hint for ya -- NEW Steam Generators leak LESS than OLD Steam Generators.  That is the reason for buying NEW Steam Generators in the first place.  How much simpler does that concept have to be before you will understand it?
« Last Edit: Feb 04, 2012, 11:30 by Already Gone »
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #412 on: Feb 05, 2012, 01:08 »
Quote from: Already Gone on Yesterday at 23:23
Here is a little hint for ya -- NEW Steam Generators should leak LESS than OLD Steam Generators.  That is the reason for buying NEW Steam Generators in the first place.

Unless they are Westinghouse Model D-2/D-3 (or maybe? designed like them)!  The reported leak rate sounds like the leaks that occured in the D-2/3's due to no baffles in the secondary return lines.  Constant shaking resulting in heavy wear and eventual rupture at an upper support plate.
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Offline tr

• Moderate User
« Reply #413 on: Feb 05, 2012, 01:31 »
NOT very small. Large enough to cause a REQUIRED shutdown AND an entry into the EOPs.
I've checked OE and guess what, you're wrong. My source is the NRC event reports. I checked SG replacements against required shutdowns and trips. Found EXACTLY zero. Flat out you're wrong and an idiot.
Could the EOP entry have been needed to allow performing the steps to isolate the SG, as it took place after the trip?

My understanding is that pretty much every SG, at every plant, is inspected each outage.  This includes the pre-service inspection of replacement SGs.  The expectation is ALWAYS that an SG can run the full cycle without leaks or failures (which is why tubes that have so much wear that they could possibly fail are plugged prior to cycle startup).

This was a significant leak (obviously, they had to shut down), but below the 400+ gpm you would get in an actual tube rupture.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #414 on: Feb 05, 2012, 12:32 »
Isolation of a S/G in a commercial nuke like SONGS requires that the unit be cooled down and de-pressurized below the relief valve setpoints.  You can do that by dragging and venting steam from the unaffected S/G while the leaking one is taken out of service.  Shutting the MSIV, feedwater isolations, blowdown isolations and blocking the safety valves is about all you can do to isolate it.  From there, you have to go to cold shutdown in order to drain it as there is no way to isolate it from the reactor.

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #415 on: Feb 05, 2012, 01:54 »
quick question, arent these things hydro'd before installation???

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #416 on: Feb 05, 2012, 02:23 »
quick question, arent these things hydro'd before installation???

That does nothing to predict tube wastage.
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline tr

• Moderate User
« Reply #417 on: Feb 05, 2012, 03:29 »
So,it seems like any claim that the SG was "isolated" upon discovery of the tube failure was BS.
Not true.  "Isolation" really refers to isolating it from the outside environment (no steam or water releases from the affected SG), thus stopping any radioactive releases to the environment.   That happens once the steam isolation valve is closed, steam generator blowdown is isolated, and SG pressure is low enough that any open steam safety valves re-close.

Also, the NRC is being quoted as saying St. Lucie found similar tube thinning in their replacement SGs.
« Last Edit: Feb 05, 2012, 05:55 by tr »

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #418 on: Feb 05, 2012, 04:36 »
And I thought all the SGRs were over!!   ???

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #419 on: Feb 05, 2012, 05:09 »
Different plants, different S/G manufacturers....putting on my RootCauseWorker.com hat has me thinking this is the next Inconel-600 issue of the 21st century!

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #420 on: Feb 05, 2012, 06:58 »
That does nothing to predict tube wastage.

I am under the impression these were leaking from the get go?

Different plants, different S/G manufacturers....putting on my RootCauseWorker.com hat has me thinking this is the next Inconel-600 issue of the 21st century!

They should all be forced to use alloy 690! :p

« Last Edit: Feb 05, 2012, 07:06 by Starkist »

Offline tr

• Moderate User
« Reply #421 on: Feb 05, 2012, 07:33 »
I am under the impression these were leaking from the get go?
Not true

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #422 on: Feb 06, 2012, 10:11 »
Not true

The more I look at it the more confused I become lol.

"The amount of wear that we are seeing on these tubes is unusual for a new steam generator," said Nuclear Regulatory Commission spokesman Victor Dricks.

So its post install damage then?  Wall thinning is indicative of chemistry problems, no? Cant imagine inconel irroding like that. 
« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2012, 10:13 by Starkist »

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #423 on: Feb 06, 2012, 10:38 »

So its post install damage then?  Wall thinning is indicative of chemistry problems, no? Cant imagine inconel irroding like that.  

Stop crutching and do your research,...

Google steam generator tubes creep aerosol impingement wastage erosion sludge thinning,...

That should get you started,...

There's hundreds of pages of free stuff to read,...

The ANS papers will cost you, but they're very good,...

The best and most responsible answers will not translate well to an internet forum post,...

That or leave the chemistry to the ELT's, ChemTechs and engineers and keep yourself to spinning valves,...

ROFL ROFL :P ;) :) 8)

Yep, we remember,.....
« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2012, 10:41 by GLW »

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #424 on: Feb 06, 2012, 01:07 »

So its post install damage then?  Wall thinning is indicative of chemistry problems, no? Cant imagine inconel irroding like that. 

They don't mean new as in just out of the box. They mean new as in installed within the last few cycles.
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?