San Onofre

Above Average
27 (29.3%)
Average
31 (33.7%)
Below Average
34 (37%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: San Onofre (SONGS)  (Read 492282 times)

milo124

Re: San Onofre (SONGS)
« Reply #600 on: Jun 10, 2013, 05:27 »
Regardless of the why, its sad to see them shut down.  I worked with some good people there and I still remember sitting out back under a tent, the ocean breeze, listening to the radio and staring out at the ocean as I surveyed items for free release.  Then rudely being brought back to reality by hearing the dreaded GSF (Go See Frank)! Lol.

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #601 on: Jun 11, 2013, 05:55 »
It’s because you probably aren’t aware of all the history here. Your reaction is analogous to someone watching the “Intervention” TV show and asking “why is everyone being so mean to Uncle Bob the Meth Head? Why not just give him a second chance and start over fresh?” Whereas the family (The Nuclear Industry in this case) has been putting up with Uncle Bob’s $hit for years and are fed up, so they are turning their back and cutting him off.

San Onofre has been on the bottom of every Industry and Regulatory Performance Metric scale for over a decade now. They have spent millions of dollars on high visibility, Enterprise Wide, Human Performance Improvement Initiatives and failed miserably. Despite having one of the largest, bloated staffing levels of ANY Nuclear plant they have continued the downward spiral. And they have a consistent track record of botching their high-dollar, complex, major capital replacement projects – the SG’s being only the latest example.

No one here is happy with the events that have come to pass. But just as in the analogy above, everyone must at some point finally face the consequences of their actions. Fair or Unfair, history is finally catching up to SONGS.

How do you really feel?
 ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Paulers

Songs ops
« Reply #602 on: Sep 10, 2013, 12:06 »
It is interesting to see what all my Ops coworkers are up to after leaving. Grid Ops, T&D, Engineering, Hydro, Solar, Wind, Ops at different plants, Retirement,  etc..., The place is becoming a real ghost-town. I miss most of you - it was fun. 8)

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #603 on: Sep 10, 2013, 02:19 »
Regardless of the why, its sad to see them shut down.  I worked with some good people there and I still remember sitting out back under a tent, the ocean breeze, listening to the radio and staring out at the ocean as I surveyed items for free release.  Then rudely being brought back to reality by hearing the dreaded GSF (Go See Frank)! Lol.
frank,frank,frank,frank,frank,frank... frank,frank,frank,frank,frank,frank...*

oh, weight!  wrong frank.   :old:

* to bee sung to the tune from the "star spangled banner".
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline michael berg

• Lurker
Re: Songs ops
« Reply #604 on: Sep 28, 2013, 12:48 »
It is interesting to see what all my Ops coworkers are up to after leaving. Grid Ops, T&D, Engineering, Hydro, Solar, Wind, Ops at different plants, Retirement,  etc..., The place is becoming a real ghost-town. I miss most of you - it was fun. 8)

Paulers, Do you know when the decommissioning is beginning in earnest? I know I am already paying for it... I am retiring from Nuke Navy (22 yrs) in two months. I am curious if the deco is a job opportunity.

Mike

Offline desertdog

• Moderate User
« Reply #605 on: Sep 30, 2013, 07:02 »
A schedule I saw said the decommissioning is supposed to start 2016.

Wlrun3

« Reply #606 on: Aug 03, 2014, 01:46 »
Will this be the pattern of all future commercial nuclear power plant decommissionings in the United States.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/calif-nuclear-plant-to-cost-4-4-billion-to-dismantle/

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #607 on: Aug 03, 2014, 04:40 »
Will this be the pattern of all future commercial nuclear power plant decommissionings in the United States.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/calif-nuclear-plant-to-cost-4-4-billion-to-dismantle/

The last several commercial decommissionings have been similar,....

Things just cost more as time goes on,...

Plus, once you commit to DnD those who take the radwaste know the utility has to come to them, and the pricing follows, there is some competition, but not much,...

Plus, many utilities have the short visioned approach to reducing legacy radwaste, i.e., they don't, they pack rat and hoard and when the corporate decision to DnD is made they have to shed that legacy radwaste at DnD pricing and on the DnD budget as opposed to spread over a few to several years in the O&M budget cycles,...

There's more,  Characterization & FSS come to mind, but that starts tapping into my expertise more than can be or should be accomodated on an internet forum,...
« Last Edit: Aug 03, 2014, 04:44 by GLW »

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #608 on: Nov 22, 2014, 03:28 »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #609 on: Feb 11, 2015, 11:01 »
As predicted. The talk has started:

http://alisoviejo.patch.com/articles/edison-considers-closing-san-onofre-amid-costly-repairs

http://www.scpr.org/news/2013/04/30/37069/costs-for-san-onofre-nuclear-power-plant-shutdown/

http://www.kcet.org/news/rewire/nuclear/san-onofre-nuclear-plant-may-close-for-good.html

Looks like the timing of the articles had a little help!

SCE admits to private conversations with Peevey on SONGS closure
By Gavin Bade | February 10, 2015

Southern California Edison (SCE) admitted Monday to taking part in private conversations with former California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) Chair Michael Peevey about the closure of the utility's San Onofre Nuclear Generation Station (SONGS).
    Stephen Picket, a former SCE vice president, met with Peevey in a luxury hotel in Warsaw, Poland, in March 2013, the utility said. At the time, the PUC faced multibillion-dollar decisions regarding the closure of the nuclear plant, which SCE owned.
    Communication between utilities and regulators outside the normal PUC process is supposed to be reported to all interested parties within three days. U-T San Diego pointed out that SCE made this disclosure 686 days after the meeting.

http://www.utilitydive.com/news/sce-admits-to-private-conversations-with-peevey-on-songs-closure/362628/?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Utility+Dive&utm_campaign=Issue%3A+2015-02-10+Utility+Dive+Newsletter#.VNqbV6xnE8M.linkedin

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #610 on: Feb 11, 2015, 11:33 »

Plus, many utilities have the short visioned approach to reducing legacy radwaste, i.e., they don't, they pack rat and hoard and when the corporate decision to DnD is made they have to shed that legacy radwaste at DnD pricing and on the DnD budget as opposed to spread over a few to several years in the O&M budget cycles,...

Happily, we (VY) made a concerted effort to get all our legacy crap (except SFP stuff) out before shutdown.  8)
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #611 on: Feb 12, 2015, 03:21 »
What was the rationale behind doing that?  VY has the unique situation of having to return unspent DnD funds to the VT ratepayers.  How does spending O&M money while saving money that you don't get to keep benefit the company?  Is there a shortage of DnD money that Entergy would have to make up? 
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #612 on: Feb 12, 2015, 05:16 »
...VY has the unique situation....

I think all DnDs have to return unspent funds and I think FERC regulates the final allotment amongst ratepayers, etc.,...

There is some debate in the current era regarding accountable spending of the DnD funds to protect the leftovers from "skimming", as it were, during DnD,...

There is on-going contentions on that tangent at Zion,...

It does get complicated pretty quickly,...

And besides, this is the SONGS thread, VY is three doors down on the left,... :P ;) :) 8)

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #613 on: Feb 12, 2015, 10:15 »
And besides, this is the SONGS thread, VY is three doors down on the left,... :P ;) :) 8)

Nope, 3 doors down and to the left is the IT overseas call center  >:(

http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2015/feb/07/ticker-edison-screws-its-employees-too/

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #614 on: Feb 13, 2015, 08:14 »
What was the rationale behind doing that?  VY has the unique situation of having to return unspent DnD funds to the VT ratepayers.  How does spending O&M money while saving money that you don't get to keep benefit the company?  Is there a shortage of DnD money that Entergy would have to make up?  

Sigh...
Decommissioning funds are not sufficient at shutdown to complete decommissioning. That is why Safestor is being used. It allows decommissioning funds to  through investment until sufficient funds are available for decommissioning.
 :-X

And yeah, while Vermont is a wing nut state, it is on the other coast... 3rd door to the right, down the hall to the left   8)
« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2015, 08:17 by HouseDad »

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
  • Cubs vs. White Sox in the Series this year.
« Reply #615 on: Mar 17, 2015, 09:20 »
Latest rumor: Energy Solutions got the contract to shut down SONGS and HOLTEC will be doing the dry cask.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #616 on: Nov 14, 2015, 02:05 »
Latest rumor: Energy Solutions got the contract to shut down SONGS and HOLTEC will be doing the dry cask.

not yet,....

but later,...

food for thought on the left coast, best DnD schedule ever,....

Wednesday through Wednesday 12.5's,...

Thursday through Tuesday off,...

clock in on Wednesday morning and start over,....

I'm just saying,.... [coffee]

milo124

« Reply #617 on: Feb 22, 2016, 11:10 »
Rumor has it that bids for the DND were submitted?

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #618 on: Feb 22, 2016, 11:18 »
DGC selection due in May,...

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #619 on: Feb 22, 2016, 06:33 »
now theirs a sight eye could due a six month commit.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline Tattoo

• Very Lite User
« Reply #620 on: Feb 29, 2016, 08:55 »
Rumor going around the last plant was that it was going to be union?  Am I understanding that no bids have been accepted yet?

Offline SpyCat

• Light User
  • RPT since 1984
« Reply #621 on: Jan 15, 2020, 01:26 »
For the curious, the latest news on SONGS' DnD can be found at this public site: https://www.songscommunity.com

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?