San Onofre

Above Average
27 (29.3%)
Average
31 (33.7%)
Below Average
34 (37%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: San Onofre (SONGS)  (Read 492273 times)

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
Re: San Onofre
« Reply #25 on: Dec 27, 2004, 12:12 »
I see that Unit 3 was still down yesterday.  Is that what happened?  You gotta love a nuke plant that schedules 20 days worth of work for 45 days, tries to impress themselves by getting it done in 35, and usually takes 50.

I really missed the place this time around.  Even though the money sucked big time, it was still better than unemployment, which is usually the only other option during a SONGS outage.  The weather is okay considering the season, the scenery (including at Ralphs) is prime, and there are a lot of things to do with all that time off you get.

I would never have gone there if there had been a paying job happening at the same time, but It was still worth the trip.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

sparkler

« Reply #26 on: Jul 20, 2005, 10:52 »
Guicho's Eatery Is a great little italian resturaunt. Its mostly take out, but its VERY good. Its a great place to get food on your way to work. I'd suggest calling ahead though, that way your order is ready when you get there. Its only open for lunch and dinner though.

1110 S El Camino Real # B
(949) 481-1070 

Fat Burger is another good one if your on your way to work. I'm not sure what time they open in the morning, but depending on what time you have to work you might be able to pick up breakfast. Its a great stop for a quick dinner on your way to work. Again though i'd suggest calling ahead if your in a hurry.

1017 S El Camino Real
(949) 492-9182 

usetobe

« Reply #27 on: Jul 22, 2005, 10:01 »
Is "Surfin' Chcken" still around?  It used to be in the Ralph's shopping center back in the 80's.  Good Stuff.
« Last Edit: Jul 22, 2005, 10:03 by Hi Rad Drifter »

sparkler

« Reply #28 on: Aug 03, 2005, 06:50 »
There isn't a ralphs there anymore, that closed quite a few years back. In fact the whole shopping center has changed, but the surfin chicken is still there. They've expanded there menu too. There is ALOT of different types of food there, but they still have the same chicken.

raymcginnis

San Onofre
« Reply #29 on: Aug 05, 2005, 07:45 »
I have not been there for a long time.  Wow, Ralphs is gone?  That is odd!  They are still huge in LA and Ventura counties.  The first time that I came to California, I was driving into San Clemente, it was night-time and there was this huge sign in the air for a grocery store called Alpha Beta.  I thought to myself "Now this is indeed a nuclear town!"  Alpha Beta got bought by Vons, so that experience is gone for 1st time NukeWorkers.  Too bad.

I can't remember the name of the restaraunt, but is was on the South side of El Camino Real, on the right.  It was a Japanese restaraunt.  They had this killer seafood soup, served in an iron bowl.  It was quite delicious!  Their other dishes were also quite excellent.  We used to eat there all of the time.

Near Surfin Chicken was a place called Stuft Crust Pizza that was great and also the best camera store that I have ever walked into.  I can't remember it's name though.  If you are into photography and that store is still there, check it out.

Aitch-Pee

« Reply #30 on: Aug 06, 2005, 12:25 »
I seem to remember a little Italian joint called Sonny's.  Many late night heartburn attacks but super marinari sauce - lots of garlic.  Was located west on El Camino Real on the right (north) side a few blocks from the freeway - course that was almost 20 years ago.  Probably still there.

raymcginnis

« Reply #31 on: Aug 07, 2005, 12:25 »
Oh darn, I got my left coast and right coast mixed up again.  The Japanese restararaunt is on the north part of El Camino Real.  Sorry.  It is on the right if you are driving North on the main drag.  I just found it on the web.  It is called Taka-O.  It is at 425 N. El Camino Real.  Great people own it and the food is unbelievable.

Lagb4

« Reply #32 on: Feb 09, 2006, 12:09 »
Hello All,
This is my first post, like to say thanks to those who run this site.
I need some info from anyone willing to give it.  I am a Nuke EM1 in the NAVY with just over 12 months left.  My intentions are to live in Orange County area when I get out.  I will have 8 years of experience under the belt as well as EWS/EDPO/TEOOW but no degree.  If anyone has any good info, telephone numbers, names or questions I would appreciate it.  Thanks for the help.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #33 on: Feb 10, 2006, 03:17 »
Ah but Beer Court maybe he's staying with his folks? or friends? in a studio apt?

Plus he can always look for the foreclosures nowadays. 

I knew operators at SONGS who had to do foreclosures and bankruptcies...the pay relative to cost of living is probably only worse at Diablo. Far better off finding a plant where you can afford to live on the pay being offered. Does a gorgeous view of other people playing on the beach help you when you're mucking out the kelp from Unit 3 screens and rakes on night shift?  The fresh salt spray as you wait an hour at the Border Patrol checkpoint (with live entertainment of the illegal aliens running across I-5), knowing you will be late for shift changeover AGAIN ?

Then again, once they get the coming INPO *3* rating, there will probably be lots of overtime.

graydragon67

« Reply #34 on: Feb 10, 2006, 02:42 »
I'm too familiar with all of the 'beautiful' people down there HydroDave.  Not only am I a born and raised So Cal boy but, worse yet I was stationed down in S.D. for my 2nd boat.  I remember very well the Horrific traffic of the I15 to I8 interchange.  The traffic jams during ball games at then Jack Murphy stadium.  Having to drive thru the very very expensive neighborhood on Rosecrans to get to the Sub base.  I saw my first real live Ferrari there being driven by someone much younger than I was...sigh.  Oh and let's not forget the heat in the summer and lack of rain during the year.  It is Winter now, right?  And they are having fires there, still??  When those fires are gone, it gives over to mudslides and half of those 'nice' homes on the hill or cliffs go a tumbling away.

If it wasn't for the fact that my family still resides there, I wouldn't even consider going back.  I wish they'd move....sigh.

Lagb4

« Reply #35 on: Feb 11, 2006, 12:06 »
I have family that live in Lake Elsinore so the concern is not really about the area but more about the transitioning from the Navy to a civilian plant.  I appreciate the info.  Getting back to my origanal question about the field,  does anyone have any good info that they may have run across for guys like me? Thanks

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #36 on: Feb 11, 2006, 09:00 »
Try looking in the Navy Nuke Getting Out Forum.  I think just about every possible question has been asked and answered there a dozen times or so.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #37 on: Feb 11, 2006, 10:54 »
Try looking in the Navy Nuke Getting Out Forum.  I think just about every possible question has been asked and answered there a dozen times or so.

Exactly.

And Highway 74 is a deadly stretch of road on which to commute.

BuddyThePug

« Reply #38 on: Jul 28, 2006, 03:00 »
Did somebody mention an INPO 3?  ;)

took years of dedication and hard work....but there it is!

Offline arizonie

• Light User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
Re: San Onofre (SONGS)
« Reply #39 on: Aug 22, 2006, 04:49 »
i am a multiple hp returnee including dayshift last outage.

uncabuffalo and bikerdad are right.

great weather and mostly decent house techs.(less production at all cost push than elsewhere)

lodging costs very high,heavy traffic and high fuel costs may outweigh other positives for some.

and yes its a 20+ minute walk in from parking lot 4 and approx 15 min walk out.

songs is close to az for me though.

ps .  the racoons are gone thx to pest control vendor.
"JUST WIN BABY"

Evilpixie

« Reply #40 on: Aug 22, 2006, 01:41 »

I had a great time when I worked there, though that was a long time ago.  Still love the area, though it is expensive.  I've been told things have changed alot at the plant... I've heard some peops call it "The Bad Place", not sure why, though. 

Chimera

« Reply #41 on: Aug 23, 2006, 10:38 »
I've done several outages at San Onofre over the last 20+ years.  I like the plant although some of the rooms are terribly cramped when surveying.  I like the people there.  I don't find them any more open- or closed-minded than at other plants.  I understand that when I'm there, my job is to do what they want me to do their way.  I've had some success getting ideas accepted, but they didn't hire me to change their program to suit me.  While I may not always agree with their approach to things, it's what works for them.

I've always stayed in San Clemente and I've had no problems saving money while I'm there.  If I couldn't save any money while I'm there, I probably wouldn't return . . . but it is a great place to spend the winter.  That long walk to and from the parking lot has always been that way.  Think of it as cardio-vascular exercise.  I somehow manage to get my old, fat butt up and down that hill every day in under 15 minutes (unless some idiot in the Security line has to empty each pocket individually).

All in all, I rate San Onofre above average for the plant, the people, and the area (including lodging).

vikingfan

« Reply #42 on: Aug 23, 2006, 11:02 »
I started at SONGS in 1990 as a decon tech and also worked as part of the spent fuel rerack team for unit 2&3. I spent almost 2 yers ther and it was a great place to start and had really good people back then. I can't vouch for it now but overall i would rate it above average.

JJ

Offline Mike_Koehler

• Heavy User
  • I love nukeworker.com!!!!
« Reply #43 on: Aug 23, 2006, 03:36 »
I haven't worked SONGS since about 95, but I do have fond memories of the Plant, House people, and area...... I usually managed to save some $$$$$ while there and the beaches and recreation are excellent. They did things their way which is why they still have some of the longest scheduled outages out there, and I was OK with that. It was my favorite place to work when I was on the road......
"Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented
  immigrant" is like calling a drug
  dealer an "unlicensed Pharmacist."
unknown
"If you seal the borders and you stop giving federal benefits to people who are in the country illegally... many of them will simply go home."
Lou Barletta, Mayor of Hazelton, Pa.

Offline incrediblehulk

• Moderate User
  • Dum vivimus, vivamus!!
« Reply #44 on: Aug 23, 2006, 05:01 »
Worked SONGS a number of times, from the "Daddy Frank" era onward. Worked for the best superviser I ever had (Ruth Lubeski) and the very worst (never-you-mind). The place has a dynamic that's like no other in the business. It has some of the finest people I ever met, and some of the most exasperating. I kept going back because no matter how frustrated I got, the people there and the area made it all worthwhile. I never made a lot of dough there, but I never expected to. The cameraderie, the incredible area and volleyball after nightshift was worth the hit to my pocketbook. I still miss the folks there.
Life is short. That is all there is to say. Get what you can from the present - thoughtfully, justly.
                               - Marcus Aurelius

Liberty is never unalienable. It must be redeemed regularly with the blood of patriots or it always vanishes.
                          -R.A. Heinlein

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
  • it was like like that when i got here!
« Reply #45 on: Aug 23, 2006, 06:29 »
All the years on the road, i've only heard GREAT things about the site coordinator! ;D

vikingfan

« Reply #46 on: Aug 24, 2006, 10:42 »
are you refering to jim moore or frank hamamker?

Offline incrediblehulk

• Moderate User
  • Dum vivimus, vivamus!!
« Reply #47 on: Aug 24, 2006, 06:08 »
Ahhh Frank...
We could fill up an entire topic just with Frank stories.

If he liked you, he could (and would) do more for you than any site coordinator in the business. If he didn't like you, you could do no right...ever...never. I was one of the lucky ones - he liked me and liked my wife. Good thing, 'cause I certainly had my share of "disagreements" with some of the SCE folks. I always thought Jim did a good job after Frank left, but you just can't replace a legend.
Life is short. That is all there is to say. Get what you can from the present - thoughtfully, justly.
                               - Marcus Aurelius

Liberty is never unalienable. It must be redeemed regularly with the blood of patriots or it always vanishes.
                          -R.A. Heinlein

Gonzo

« Reply #48 on: Aug 24, 2006, 07:22 »
Actually, if you haven't seen the SONGS site Coordinator in awhile you might not recognize him...   must be at least 80lbs lighter than he used to be.

oldodge52

« Reply #49 on: Aug 24, 2006, 08:22 »
I started the business there, when Frank was the site coordinator in 1993. All I remember is people saying, "GSF" (Go See Frank) in the same breath as "DFR"
haha
:D

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?