San Onofre

Above Average
27 (29.3%)
Average
31 (33.7%)
Below Average
34 (37%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: San Onofre (SONGS)  (Read 493451 times)

Offline dinutt

• RPT (HP)
  • Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker!
Re: applicant asks: hours, overtime, days off, what's it like??
« Reply #100 on: Sep 17, 2008, 09:18 »
Droshen   It sounds like you may need to call them back to ask all these questions .they are all important for you to know up front on  this job.it sounds like it may be a job in Operations as an NLO ?.they work alot of shift work,lots of overtime etc and the money sounds like it could be right and the POSS test is usually the test of choice for that position. do you have the material to look at for the POSS test.there is some info on the site here to reference to.  Best of luck to you    Anyone else got some helpful suggestion out  there??

Di
« Last Edit: Sep 17, 2008, 09:20 by dinutt »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Re: applicant asks: hours, overtime, days off, what's it like??
« Reply #101 on: Sep 17, 2008, 10:24 »
I'm scheduled for POSS test soon for San Onofre (SONGS) location as ANPEO.  Other than stating wages are $27/hr and 12hr rotating shift, very little info available.  Sounds like a good job, but wanted more info.  Days off?  Hours per week?  overtime?  Exactly what is the schedule?  Average hours per week?  vacations?  inside concrete structure 12 hours tough? What are wages when you become NPEO?    Much thanks in advance, Droshen.......... 

Last I heard, it was

7-330 M-F during ANPEO quals, no OT while training

Once on shift, 5 crew rotation, with a training week every 6 weeks and a 7 off somewhere in there. Count on some OT.

not sure what you are asking re: concrete structure. NPEO is moving around a lot, steam side has several levels, lots of stairs and 40 acres of valves, only half of which are rusted stuck due to salt air.

wages are in the UWUA contract book. No need worrying about what you COULD make in the future, if you dont pass the interview.

Fundamentally, you need to look at the cost of living in that area vs ANPEO wage. If you can make it on that, then your raises will be gravy and you will be content. If you already have your toys and coastal condo and hot wheels already picked out ... you can join the other folks that went BK, but with an awesome beach view...

Offline Droshen

• Light User
Re: San Onofre (SONGS)
« Reply #102 on: Sep 18, 2008, 12:04 »
Thanks Dinutt and HydroDave:

Dave: could you be more specific ("Once on shift, 5 crew rotation, with a training week every 6 weeks and a 7 off somewhere in there. Count on some OT.")?  I don't know what a "rotating crew" is.  As I look at the (I'm afraid to count the pages) stack of Westrain material I printed out for review, I am curious to know what approximately the NPEO pay is and how long it takes the typical employee to reach that level before I make the jump from my current job if accepted.  This info may be available from SCE if I advance thru the process, but at this point I haven't found any info from their site.   

I already have a good rental setup in Costa Mesa, so I would commute (I already drive that far to my current job).  The question I asked about "concrete structure" is basically this: in my imagination, I see the job as being inside a concrete structure for 12 hours with no exposure to fresh air and sunlight- this could have subtle side effects to health- my imagination running wild?

Thanks much, Droshen........... 

randyman56

« Reply #103 on: Sep 18, 2008, 08:51 »
first, you don't go to SONGS for the money. this is southern cal. enough said. 

the best burgers in the country are found a little shack called "NESSY'S" located in fall brook area.

if i hadn't fallen in love and got married and started having babies and stuff i would be in san clemente RIGHT NOW.
so here i sit with no life in hanford, this is your fault tommy buchel.

randyman

Offline tr

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #104 on: Sep 18, 2008, 04:55 »
Rotating shifts means that you working something like 3 (or 4) 12 hour days in a row, followed by 3 or so days off, followed by 3 (or 4) 12 hour nights.  There is also a week of days for training/relief shift and a period of 7 days off in a row somewhere in there.

Note that if you're current commute is not in southern California, the 35 miles between Costa Mesa and SONGS could take a LOT longer (the 6 am to 6 pm shift basically means you're dealing with rush hour when you drive home at 6:00 am, or drive in at 6:00 pm).

If you're working in the nuclear side of the plant (reactor support systems), you will spend most of your time inside concrete buildings.  The turbine side of the plant is a mixed bag, with some areas inside buildings, and some literally outside (which can be a bad deal when it rains or seagulls fly over!).
« Last Edit: Sep 18, 2008, 05:01 by tr »

Offline dinutt

• RPT (HP)
  • Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker!
« Reply #105 on: Sep 18, 2008, 05:05 »
 :D well said tr + K 2U  this is pretty much what it is!!!

Di

Offline Droshen

• Light User
« Reply #106 on: Sep 19, 2008, 07:11 »
That's good info.  Do the approx 3 days off also rotate?  I personally prefer days off during the week.  It sounds like to time off moves around and gradually shifts from week days to weekends.  Three off in a row is great.  Actually the schedule sounds great (graveyard shift sounds tough though- done it before).  Commute situation sounds grim.  Still not clear how this would translate paycheck wise in terms of regular hours and OT hours per week or per month.  Sounds like roughly 40 hrs reg and 8hrs OT/week.

POSS test next week- doesn't sound  too tough: I'm worried about the knowledge test (studying a little already).  Difficult material but interesting- I've always been curious about this type of equipment.

Other question: is there any knowledge or hunches about the future of SONGS?  I saw some of the mixed posts about the morale and rating woes, but I have no idea if there is any plan to shut this facility down at some point.  It seems to me that all things considered, as oil peaks and people are waking up and starting to think seriously about energy, nuclear generating will be viewed more favorably and may get increased support from the public and politicians.  There are very diverse opinions about nuclear power and I have a lot to learn about it.

Again, much thanks to you and I appreciate the help- Droshen.................

Offline tr

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #107 on: Sep 19, 2008, 11:12 »
The current licenses expire in 2023, and will probably be renewed for another 20 years (as pretty much all plants are doing this now).  The steam generators will be replaced in the next two years, which is a huge capital investment in the plant.

Offline Droshen

• Light User
« Reply #108 on: Sep 19, 2008, 12:18 »
That's good news- possibly more job security than many other professions.  Thanks.......

yeehaw

« Reply #109 on: Sep 20, 2008, 06:48 »
Links below are publicly accessible.

UWUA Local 246
http://www.uwua246.org

Latest negotiations
http://www.uwua246.org/HOMEPAGE/Documents/2008Negotiations/2008ContractNegotiations1h.pdf

UWUA Local 246 Blog
http://blog.uwua246.org/?p=2

union/company contract (aka 'Working Agreement')
http://www.uwua246.org/SONGS/index.asp

first 7-8 months classroom training, 7am-330pm.
last ANPEO class had to take the NRC GFES Exam after first 10 weeks.
http://www.nrc.gov/reactors/operator-licensing/generic-fundamentals-examinations/pwr.html
2 out of 15 failed. ---> 13 left in class.

current and soon to be defunct "experimental" 12-hr rotation:
[ref. page 11 of latest contract negotiations]
4 nights
3 off
4 days
7 off
3 nights
4 off
3 days
'relief shift' week (32 hours classroom or on-shift)
repeat
[ref. pages 56-60 in 'Working Agreement Vol 2' see above]

back to 8-hr rotating shifts... yeehaw

feel free to verify with your hiring manager and ask about new 8-hr rotating schedule

Offline Droshen

• Light User
« Reply #110 on: Sep 22, 2008, 02:02 »
Thanks yeehaw

That shift is all over the place but I like it (I think). 

I was told to respond to edisonsctesting.com by Sept 18 (which I did); but I've had no response from them (testing supposedly this Weds, Sept. 24).  Only get answering machine when I call contact phone provided in email.

I've discovered EEI POSS practice test guides on line- hard to imagine stretching that type of test 4 hours.

thanks, Droshen............... 

Offline Droshen

• Light User
« Reply #111 on: Sep 23, 2008, 01:46 »
Dear group:

I responded by email and by phone well within deadline when I was notified by email of scheduled EEI POSS testing on Sept 24 (tomorrow) for SONGS, and have received no confirmation.  Apparently for some reason I will not be taking the EEI POSS test, and I receive no responses by email or phone.  I guess it's possible I will receive a message later today.  Is this normal procedure?  I'm not familiar with SCE and wondered if anyone might have an idea what's going on.  Thanks, Droshen........

Offline Droshen

• Light User
« Reply #112 on: Sep 24, 2008, 09:12 »
Just been notified that I will test Monday the 29th, and apparently will be given both tests at same time!  Is this normal?  Thought POSS test, then knowledge test about 2 weeks later.  I'm working full time- will be hard to make much progress studying the Westrain materials.  Are re-tests allowed/common for SONGS ANPEO applicants?  Thanks, Droshen..........

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #113 on: Sep 24, 2008, 10:41 »
Just been notified that I will test Monday the 29th, and apparently will be given both tests at same time!  Is this normal? 
Yes. DMV expects you to have all the knowledge to drive when you take their exam, Ops wants to see if you retain a critical mass of knowledge sufficient to qualify as a competent NPEO.

Are re-tests allowed/common for SONGS ANPEO applicants? 
If you dont pass.....there will likely be another hiring class in a year or so

Offline dinutt

• RPT (HP)
  • Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker!
« Reply #114 on: Sep 25, 2008, 12:32 »
Droshen glad you get to test now.Best of  luck on taking both the same time frame .at least it will be over with and don't go into  it thinking you wont be successful....positive thoughts.. Is it  the Norm not sure  ,I always thought they waited and each was taken on separate dates but not sure how they do business(SONGS)

Di

Offline Droshen

• Light User
« Reply #115 on: Sep 25, 2008, 04:22 »
Di, HydroDave

My original test notification post basically said tests at separate times- people out of town flying in for test were asked to notify test department so it could be arranged for both tests on the same day in their case.  Also, many posts in these forums seemed to refer to 10 day or more time space between tests.  Makes me wonder what the background of the average ANPEO applicant is: do they have prior knowledge/experience with info like that in the Westrain lessons, or are they mostly studying at the last minute?  I've familiarized myself with the calculator used for the test and made it thru 1 and 1/2 chapters.  Also saw some programmable logic controller style schematics in sample tests- have to brush up on that.

"Where never is heard a discouraging word, and the skies are not cloudy all day...."  Thanks for info and support, Droshen..........

yeehaw

« Reply #116 on: Sep 25, 2008, 10:34 »
For people who don't have to fly in, there's usually a 1 week study period between the MASS/POSS and knowledge exam. 

Droshen, what's your background in?

Offline Droshen

• Light User
« Reply #117 on: Sep 25, 2008, 11:41 »
Owned my own auto repair business for 20 years, now a mechanic for fleet of 70 petroleum tanker trucks.  Vertical and overhead stick welding certifications, industrial refrigeration certification, 2 year industrial electricity certificate in 2005 with Programmable logic controller (PLC) training.  Math, chemistry, and physics in high school.  Most of the Westrain info sofar makes sense to me but the lessons towards the end at this point look ominous.  I find alot of this stuff interesting, but I like to understand concepts thoroughly.  HR said some management personal change has made things a little disorganized.  I have emailed HR for confirmation of double testing. 

Droshen

Offline Droshen

• Light User
« Reply #118 on: Sep 27, 2008, 01:03 »
Just for the hell of it, I called my HR contact phone Friday before work and a person answered (the only time).  The HR person who sent me the original email test notice is no longer working there and the other main HR person was off.  The fill-in person was able to tell me that only the POSS test is being given to us on Monday.  Hectic. 

Paulers

« Reply #119 on: Oct 05, 2008, 10:06 »
Droshen

Good luck With the Poss - Things are a little strange here with the transition to 8 hour days.  Working 7 days in a row with none of them counting as O.T. seems wrong - but it is legal.  Dealing with HR can be frustrating - be patient.  Keep trying to get in - you can always take the Year of paid OPS training, work for a while and then go to another plant.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #120 on: Oct 06, 2008, 06:37 »
Droshen

Good luck With the Poss - Things are a little strange here with the transition to 8 hour days.  Working 7 days in a row with none of them counting as O.T. seems wrong - but it is legal.  Dealing with HR can be frustrating - be patient.  Keep trying to get in - you can always take the Year of paid OPS training, work for a while and then go to another plant.

Is it 7 on 7 off, or what kind of 8 hr schedule? With only 8 hours on shift, I doubt I'd get enough time in Full Flow to cool off ;)

Paulers

« Reply #121 on: Oct 06, 2008, 08:10 »
7 Days (Thusday thru Wed) 2 Days off (Thurs & Fri) Come in Friday Night for 7 Graves (Sat thru Fri) 2 Days off (Sat & Sun)

The a mix of whatever "relief shift" 5 out of the next 7 Days (Mon - Sun) or a Training week M-F days The following Mon & Tue are off so you could have 4 days off - our long change?

Back to work 6 Days in a row (Wed - Mon) Days - then two days off and start the cycle again!

Since the schedule bridges work-weeks there is no built-in overtime with the exception of daily 15 min turnovers.  What a deal 7 in a row and work Sat and Sun for straight time!

Offline Laundry Man

• Heavy User
« Reply #122 on: Oct 07, 2008, 08:43 »

Since the schedule bridges work-weeks there is no built-in overtime with the exception of daily 15 min turnovers.  What a deal 7 in a row and work Sat and Sun for straight time!
[/quote]

And we all thought being in Management stunk!
LM

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #123 on: Oct 07, 2008, 09:55 »

The a mix of whatever "relief shift" 5 out of the next 7 Days (Mon - Sun) or a Training week M-F days The following Mon & Tue are off so you could have 4 days off - our long change?

NO more Crew A sushi-fest at start of 7 offs? :( 

What will they think of next!

Offline Droshen

• Light User
« Reply #124 on: Oct 08, 2008, 03:19 »
Didn't think I did too good on POSS but I did get a note saying I had passed.  Thanks for the help.  From what I understand, this means that I will be scheduled for knowledge test soon.  Been studying Westrain- enthalpy kicking my butt. 

Can't say that I like the sound of the new schedule.  As I think of the possibility of working there, naturally, I need to know not only what the hourly wage is (27.50), but what it adds up to per month or year based on combination of straight and overtime so I know what the bottom like is before I make my jump from my current job.  Thanks to some info I've received in this thread and talking to someone at the POSS test, sounds like the current/old 12hr shift setup amounts to around 16hrs OT per month.  I liked that schedule and the time off- intense work period; then significant time off.  Did not know it was legal to work over 40 hrs in a week and not get OT- thought anything over 8 or 40 was OT in California.  Does the new schedule amount to a reduction of annual or monthly income? 

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?