Crystal River

Above Average
20 (33.9%)
Average
20 (33.9%)
Below Average
19 (32.2%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: Crystal River  (Read 124645 times)

jfelice13

Re: Crystal River
« Reply #75 on: Dec 13, 2007, 10:10 »
Hello all, I am new to the site and I am looking for employment at Crystal River Power Plant. I was a nuke MM for 13 years and I now live in Spring Hill. If anyone could give me some info or a point of contact it would be much appreciated. Thank you

Joe Felice

josephfelice@bellsouth.net

Magnawake

« Reply #76 on: Dec 13, 2007, 05:07 »
What kinda job were you looking for? Mechanical Maint., HP, Operations. I'm not an expert on this subject, since I still work as a traveling HP, but I know of a couple of well qualified HP's that are still waiting for a job opening at Crystal.  The thing is, being a union plant, they hire people from their Labor work pool first.  You can get a Temporary job in their pool, and then work your way up.  Sometimes it take years to do that.  I'm not willing to wait around for that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.  Vogtle plant offered the same to me (work pool). I said pack sand.  If you like union plants, you gotta pay yo dues brotha man.   Maybe thats why I'm still on the road.  However, go to the Progress Energy website and look for career opportunities, and do a search. Good Luck, maybe someone else has the inside scoop.   

AyresRT2020

« Reply #77 on: Dec 18, 2007, 11:02 »
You have to look on their web site. www.Progress-energy.com they just had postings for ANAO postions these are the jobs that don't get filled from the union. They may have another posting in 6 months or so.

Offline hdpaul1

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Crystal River
« Reply #78 on: Aug 21, 2008, 07:35 »
This site is so big I don't know where to begin, regarding info about Crystal River.

I am going for an "in house" interview next week and was wondering where I can go, here or other sites to find the most recent info about Crystal River; The plant, the company, the cost of living, where is the most desirable area to live (rent or buy). Cost of housing, payroll taxes, income taxes, etc.

Admin for this site, can you help me maybe?

Thanks,

Paul

keff

« Reply #79 on: Aug 21, 2008, 08:36 »

Offline starving_dog

• Moderate User
  • Master of my domain
« Reply #80 on: Aug 21, 2008, 08:48 »
You could also try... http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/board,172.0.html

If you click on the forum tab above, each plant is grouped into it's NRC Region.  Crystal River is Region 2.  There is a lot of good data there.
There are the Habs, and the Hab nots.

Offline radbitch

• Heavy User
« Reply #81 on: Aug 21, 2008, 12:08 »
Sent ya a PM

Yurij

« Reply #82 on: Nov 05, 2008, 02:13 »
Anyone have any info on contractors for welders/fitters for the next outage 09/03/09?

NukeNub

« Reply #83 on: Jan 13, 2009, 07:19 »
Hello,

I just applied to Crystal to be a Technical Trainer: In-Processing, PAT, etc. If that does not work out I saw an Assistant Aux Operator (I'm a former nuke MM1/SS/Instructor etc etc with a few years of commercial experience). I was told by a recruiter that Assistant Aux Operator is a lower position than Aux Operator-C, however the job descriptions and pre-reqs read similarly to me.

Wondering if anyone had any insight to the hierarchy of operations withing Progress Energy NLO ranks? I figure after that the usual RO-SRO-SM applies.

Thanks.

NukeNub

« Reply #84 on: Jan 20, 2009, 08:22 »
Following up I got word that I am going to be rec'd for an interview for Aux Op at Crystal River. As the hiring manager described it to me CR3 starts their guys outside the plant and works them inward and upward. He said you spend about a year in secondary which I assume is the Turbine Plant and the attached Aux Systems (EDGs/Water Plant/Boilers) and then on to Rx Systems. I guess they are also pushing for RO candidates since he was excited about the proposed AP1000s. Me too!

This would also be my first opportunity involving a Union job. I did not wish discuss money matters, but would appeciate any knowledge now of the union pay scale at CR3.

Definitely excited about the possibility of getting back to the beautiful state of FLA!

Peace.
« Last Edit: Jan 20, 2009, 08:22 by NukeNub »

alphadude

« Reply #85 on: Jan 21, 2009, 08:06 »
take what they offer or you will be on the ghost list.

NukeNub

« Reply #86 on: Jan 22, 2009, 03:03 »
Is that code for 'you only get one shot for being hired, after that you are a pay-no-mind'

alphadude

« Reply #87 on: Jan 22, 2009, 11:41 »
yep

I will have a room to rent in a fully furnished house for Crystal River Outage. Your own bathroom.  Let me know if any interest from anybody. Its in Homosassa.
« Last Edit: Jan 22, 2009, 11:44 by alphadude »

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #88 on: Jan 22, 2009, 12:29 »
If it's a Union job the offer is going to be the same as it would be for anyone else hired.  They will probably lay out the pay scale when they make the job offer to you and since the pay rates are already laid out in the contract you'll know what your hire in pay will be, what the raises will be, and what the criteria for them will be. 

You're correct in the secondary side being the turbine side of the plant.  Best of luck with the job offer and keep us posted!

Peace, ($1 to Marssim)
Tom
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Offline radbitch

• Heavy User
« Reply #89 on: Feb 04, 2009, 11:44 »
Anyone have any info on contractors for welders/fitters for the next outage 09/03/09?

Outage is 9/26/09.
Bechtel is hiring out of the local union halls (Tampa/Gainesville). If ya need anymore info let me know.
 ;)

jasper

« Reply #90 on: Jun 19, 2009, 10:50 »
do you think they are already staffed for decon.jr hp- entry level jobs.
thank you.

Offline Lorrie Henson

• Heavy User
  • Stop Talking, Just Do It!!!
« Reply #91 on: Jun 19, 2009, 10:59 »
Bartlett has the radiation protection contract... Their website is www.bartlettinc.com.  Their phone number is 800-225-0385.

It contains the following information for Crystal River....

Crystal River
Red Level Florida
9/26/2009
12 Weeks SGRP 
Hiring SHP 3.1, JHP >1 Yr, Decon >6 Mo's, Scaffold all levels
HP & Decon = Joey x1272
Kelli X1259 Scaffold/Craft

Joel Upchurch

« Reply #92 on: Jun 21, 2009, 12:53 »
Sorry to bother you guys, but I had a couple of questions and I thought somebody over here might know the answers.

1. Why is Progress Energy building their new nuclear plants in Levy County instead of at Crystal River? I would think it would be a lot cheaper.

2. I noticed the license on Crystal River 3 expires in 2016. Is anybody doing anything about getting a 20 year license extension? I noticed a lot of other plants have already got extensions.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #93 on: Jun 21, 2009, 02:15 »
2. I noticed the license on Crystal River 3 expires in 2016. Is anybody doing anything about getting a 20 year license extension? I noticed a lot of other plants have already got extensions.

http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/news/2009/09-013.html

Joel Upchurch

« Reply #94 on: Jun 21, 2009, 03:26 »
Thanks HydroDave63!

jasper

« Reply #95 on: Jun 22, 2009, 10:17 »
Joel I think it is because of space. In addition to unit 3 they have units 1,2,4, and 5...

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #96 on: Jun 22, 2009, 05:58 »
Part of it may also be transmission lines - again - related to the 4 coal units out there. I think that Levy Cty also tried harder to get them - maybe tax advantages.
I got this info from my folks, they live about 10 miles from the plant - they try to keep me posted with what the residents get for info.
That area is a nice area, and could sure use the industry (or course, Everywhere could use the industry....)
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Joel Upchurch

« Reply #97 on: Jun 22, 2009, 10:35 »
I'm kind of curious since Wikipedia lists Crystal River at 4700 acres and I looked at the aerial and it doesn't look crowded.

Go to http://www.bing.com/maps
and enter
28.95833, -82.6986
Then click on Bird's Eye. It looks like there is plenty of space there to me. I assume that is Crystal River 1&2 next to #3. You have pan north to see the other two coal plants with the cooling towers.

Progress says they are going to shut down Crystal River 1&2 after they open Levy County.

I hope they are getting one heck of a tax break. Progress has budgeted 3 billion just for putting in the high tension lines to Levy County.

At least Progress won't be the first customer for an AP1000 Reactor. Westinghouse is building the first one now in China. China is planning on having 100 AP1000 Reactors built or under construction by 2020.

Offline koop225

• Light User
« Reply #98 on: Aug 05, 2009, 09:57 »
Im going to be at crystal river this fall for junior deconner. anyone else going?....what job are you going to be doing?

CRAZY HORSE

Re: anybody going to crystal River ?
« Reply #99 on: Aug 11, 2009, 01:14 »
I am on the list with the Local 75 carpenters union for the SGR. Haven't heard anything yet.
« Last Edit: Aug 11, 2009, 02:10 by Marlin »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?