DC Cook

Above Average
36 (34.3%)
Average
29 (27.6%)
Below Average
40 (38.1%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: DC Cook  (Read 173661 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
DC Cook
« on: Jul 22, 2001, 06:55 »
Don't forget to vote.  Keep your comments civil.

« Last Edit: Dec 08, 2007, 02:22 by Camella Black »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
DC Cook
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2002, 09:22 »
Talk About: DC Cook

Doc_REM

Re: Rate DC Cook
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2002, 12:36 »
I was at Cook this past spring and they treated us road tech's very well. Seems that they felt that we were there to help them! No problems from them or the support groups on site.
Here at Cook right now to help them get througt the holidays and are they HAPPY to see us here...seems to be a tech. spec. problem with their E-plan commitments. Everyone is bending over backwards to help us get into the plant!
Plant manager came into training yesterday just to thank us for coming in on short notice!

Doc_REM

Re: DC Cook
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2003, 10:14 »
I just left there after covering for a E-plan Tech. Spec. situration. They couldn't done more to help us.
YES...IT WAS COLD AND SNOWY!
Thanks to Scott, Dwayne, Doug, and All the rest of the folks at D.C. Cook!

Antineutrino

« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2003, 11:32 »
This plant is improving by leaps and bounds.   After such a long shutdown, and a large number of personnel changes in management, it takes time to get to the top.   The worker-bees need an attitude change.

Antineutrino

« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2003, 11:39 »
The RP program is making real improvements.  

Doc_REM

« Reply #6 on: Apr 24, 2003, 04:52 »
Yeah, what a mess! Tons of fish in the intake and BROKE the intake screens!
U-1 will stay down...not enough fuel to restart. U-2 will be down for a day or two for some inspections that have to be done...head o-ring leakage?
Some of us where suppose to work 40 hrs for the next 2 weeks before the U-1 outage...now on 6/12's $$$$$$$

HAIRDUDE

« Reply #7 on: Jul 29, 2003, 09:06 »
Probably King Salmon. They run like crazy that time of year over there. I used to catch the daily limit of Kings off the St. Joe pier in about an hour or so when I worked Cook (circa 1986?). Had a blast there. Worked for Hydro Nuke (The green machine)Made some great friends. Hell of a place. The area is beautiful and from what I remember the cost of living was reasonible. Yah.....the plant's a little small.....containment is kind'a tight, but it's an ice condensor so there's always a cool spot in the can when ya need one.

Floyd

Asa1

« Reply #8 on: Jul 29, 2003, 01:39 »
Still haven't got my bonus. I guess getting my money to me isn't that important. Comes around , goes around.

Oly

« Reply #9 on: Jul 29, 2003, 07:49 »
[smiley=wave.gif]

Karma to ya bud, you sure were right about that DeeDee! Say hi for me

Jen-Jen

« Reply #10 on: Aug 03, 2003, 11:48 »
The fish were Alewife, in case anyone really cares.  :-/

Asa1

« Reply #11 on: Aug 04, 2003, 09:36 »
The Getaway might be the name of that bar.

Offline PWHoppe

• Forum Staff
  • CONFIRMED!: The dumbest man on the planet
« Reply #12 on: Sep 25, 2003, 07:24 »
I can not resist responding to this topic. I have an "intimate" knowledge of the Cookie Farm (almost in the biblical sense). Yes, they have had some rough times what with people being let go, management snafu's, and some other questionable decision making. That said they have an excellent HP staff (generally speaking :o). Yes, you do hump lead, decon rooms, pull trash and laundry and do many other duties that some "senior" hp technicians are not accustomed to doing. I personally had a hand in some of that occurring (sorry folks) because my belief is no one is "too good" or "too important" to do any job. The work needs to get done, no matter what or who it takes to do it. That is why you will see house techs and yes, even house supervisors at the Cookie Farm side by side with you on occasion.
I realize not all will agree with this philosophy but I firmly believe if you go to DC Cook with an open mind and a willingness to work for your money you will have an excellent time.

Except of course in the winter...lol...BRRRR
If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many days will it take a grasshopper with a rubber foot to kick a hole in a tin can?

Forum rules..http://www.nukeworker.co

Offline Duke Nuker

• Retired Radiation Protection and Emergency Preparedness
  • Moderate User
  • Currently Fly Fishing
« Reply #13 on: Sep 25, 2003, 10:02 »
I have to agree with Pat on this topic.  I spent a lot of time at Cook and thought it was a great thing that everyone - and that means everyone - gets the opportunity to succeed.  I believe I may have hung some lead right there beside him. I don't know what the current issues are at Cook, but I do know one thing.  The house techs there are some of the best I have ever worked with.  The work ethic is outstanding and the teamwork really shows when the chips are down.  Hey if they are paying you to work, I don't mind doing the little things.  It is those little things that help the most and are remembered longer than the nuclear cowboy attitude.

Sorry for the rant, I just could not help myself.
Is it time for coffee yet?

allforthenukie

« Reply #14 on: Sep 25, 2003, 02:36 »
I worked Cook in spring '97 and spring 2000. Working inside the plant was fine for me. Actually enjoyed the working with the DC Cook people very much.
Breaks were a problem for me though. There was a strict policy against contracter techs reading anything while on break time, other than procedures etc. House techs could read anything they wanted, I could just sip my soda and stare at the wall on break. Nice break  :P I hear tell that smoking cigarettes is now verboten on site as well.
We had to wear our special "Bartlet" collared shirts into and home from work every day. Then have them drycleaned, pressed, and returned at layoff time.
There was the strictly enforced parking lot policy, you had to enter the parking area and proceed in a counterclockwise direction and pull into the very first parking space you came to, no matter what. They actually had the guards stationed out there in the dark to to hunt you down and yell at you if you didn't follow this policy EXACTLY. God help you if you parked on or just outside the lines marking the space! The guards supposedly would "boot" your vehicle so you could not move it until you got your due disiplinary action and ass chewing for parking on the line. The fact that the lot is covered with snow is no excuse for missing your parking space. This never actually happened to me but I heard about it all the time. The phrase "... you've been warned!" is one I remember ringing in my ears quite a bit. It seemed to me that the guards there generally treated us more like prisoners than employees. That was the feeling I had anyway. Those guards should have been issued some nice red gestapo arm bands for thier uniforms to go with thier attitudes!
Offsite, the local area is kind of a summer resort place, so if you are there in the nontourist season there are plenty of places to stay with reasonable off season rates. I think the Chalets on the Lake is the best but reserve one early 'cause they fill up fast. There was a motel on the way to St Joes that offered a special rate to outage workers too. I remember a couple of decent bars near the plant on the Red Arrow highway. Both had food and one would even cash your paychecks at the time. [smiley=beerchug.gif]
Benton Harbor is kind of a rough town, but they do have a Walmart, and huge grocery store just off the highway.
On a scale of 1 to 10 I give Cook a 7. Nice people! Nice area. And a nice place to work, if you can handle all of those stupid BS "policies".

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #15 on: Oct 10, 2003, 03:04 »
I had the misfortune of accepting an assignment there during the unit 1 SGRP.  I managed to make it through 12 weeks, which basicly sucked most of the life out of me!  It is the only plant I have ever been to, where the site coordinator's welcome speech, consisted solely of 100 ways to get fired!  Hell, even Dorsey Smith had more tacket them him, in his worst moments!  I won't say I wouldn't go back, but the bonus would have to be paid on a weekly basis, up front, and they aren't even close with the numbers at this time!  It should be apparent to the utility, that past bad experiences are now being paid back!  Decent wages, good area PD and a healthy bonus won't even get people there!  Even the AEP home court advantage can't get techs!  A sorry situation indeed!

allforthenukie

« Reply #16 on: Oct 11, 2003, 08:04 »
Ha ha!  :D LOL
Rad Ghost, I remember getting the same welcome to DC Cook speech from that coordinator. I think it was the standard welcome for all of us, "these are all the things that WILL get you fired here", and I think it wrapped up with "you've been warned".
Way to start the outage out on a positive note.
At least he warned us. I heeded the warning and wasn't fired.

cpottsjr

« Reply #17 on: Mar 30, 2004, 05:09 »
Cook is now into double forced outage  --  too early to estimate any kind of duration, but containment walkdowns have not been promising. U-1 looks to have a pressurizer manway leak in addition to a secondary manway leak in one (maybe two) of the steam generators. RHR areas have already been posted for anticipated cooldown. U-2 started with an improperly racked-out breaker in the 4KV area and now looks to include a secondary side leak in a steam generator and a source range neutron detector that needs replacement.....    for those of youns familiar with the ice condenser gig at Cook, the polar crane is OOS for parts issues and the CRDM vent donut surrounding the Rx vessel head will  (may ??) prevent insertion of a neutron detector  (~5.5 feet long, needs to be inserted into the hole straight). Not to mention the missile blocks, CRDM cables blah... blah.... blah.  Long story short   ----   we're in for some fun in the very near future. Keep ya' posted.

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #18 on: Mar 30, 2004, 05:52 »
OUCH! :o

That's gonna leave a mark.
Best of luck up there. Keep us posted!
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

cpottsjr

« Reply #19 on: Mar 31, 2004, 11:07 »
Cook ongoing......  things looking up for U-2.  NI detector problem was found in a separate area, so no instrument replacement required.  Still looking at the secondary leak possibility/potential.  All things good, might be up and sending electrons down the line by tomorrow.  U-1 gonna be awhile  -  RHR placed in service this am.  Just for the record, plant management here is making sincerely honest effort to do everything right the first time, with everybody onboard and with safety foremost. New RP superintendent is doing well  --  trial by fire  (RPM just left, returned to INPO).  Whatever you may hear in whomsoever's grapevine, us hourly pukes do trust the people we work for.  FYI.  Keep youns posted.

HAIRDUDE

« Reply #20 on: Apr 01, 2004, 09:13 »
You folks at Cook lured away our VP not so long ago...Mano Nazar .....He was a great guy to work with. He was actually out here at the plant (Prairie Island) 2 Novembers ago, at 03:00 am serving pop to the crews on Thanksgiving. I walked into the Maint. Lunchroom and there I see the Plant V.P. in a sweatshirt serving drinks. I developed a great deal of respect for the guy right then and there. He is extremely good at what he does and genuinely cares about the people who work for him. I've been doing this for 20 years now and that's the first time I have seen that level of committment from someone so high up on the food chain.

Your gain.
Our loss.

Floyd Flanigan

terance of baywood

« Reply #21 on: Apr 03, 2004, 03:55 »
The Ironworkers and Cement Masons at DCPP are doing a remarkable job modifying the RX head stand. Keep up the great work! :)

cpottsjr

« Reply #22 on: Apr 03, 2004, 07:35 »
Yeah, hairdude, have met Mano...   even tossed a few drinks with the gentleman at a local watering hole when he decided to do a little get out & about to see the 'color' of the area & locals. He does appear to care alot and I'm personally looking forward to his success in bringing Cook around to somewhere near our previous glory (not that I think we're that far from it....   just some straggling details that have bit us).
Anyway, back to Cook.  As of yesterday afternoon, U2 is back making neutrons. S/G secondary manyway firm-and-tighted using good work practices, with safety & quality.  We're halfway there. U1 working PZR manway with some resurfacing, not totally necessary because the leak was primarily due to a degraded closure gasket...  once again, doing it right to ensure success. Two S/G secondary manways to be firm-and-tighted, as in U1, when plant gets back to pressure conditions. All is working well, everybody aware of what's needed and playing for timely success. This will all be over (my guess) by midweek.  :)

cpottsjr

« Reply #23 on: Apr 07, 2004, 08:37 »
Guessed correct   8)  (surely not a normal situation....).  Both units back and feeding the grid.  U1 PZR manway not a problem and 2 S/G secondary manways successfully furmanited.  Quality & safety rule !!

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #24 on: Apr 07, 2004, 08:55 »
Both units on line is very, very good. Sustained, reliable plant operation is needed for the industry to want new nukes.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?